Competent sax tech in SE Mich?

Dennis M. Furman

Apr 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/3/99
Looking for a reliable sax tech in SE Michigan. Hoping to avoid having to
ship vintage horns. Does anyone in this NG have a referral. Thanks.

Piotr Michalowski

Apr 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/3/99

"Dennis M. Furman" wrote:

> Looking for a reliable sax tech in SE Michigan. Hoping to avoid having to
> ship vintage horns. Does anyone in this NG have a referral. Thanks.

John Gill at Buddy Rodgers Music in East Lancing is excellent. I just had my
tenor overhauled by him and he did a splendid job. He works on Donald Sinta's
horns as well as those of his students, so that should tell you something.
The number there is 517-332-8729.
Piotr

Les Izmor

Apr 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/3/99
Even better is Don LePage, formerly of Eastside Music. He worked on
48th St. in NY and really understands vintage horns. I've seen both
their work and Don gives you the real NY, "hard click" repad instead of the "mushy
pad" midwest variety.

Les Izmor

Apr 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/3/99
Les Izmor <b...@t.nick> wrote:

> Piotr Michalowski <pio...@umich.edu> wrote:
> >

> Even better is Don LePage, formerly of Eastside Music. He worked on
> 48th St. in NY and really understands vintage horns. I've seen both
> their work and Don gives you the real NY, "hard click" repad instead of the "mushy
> pad" midwest variety.

..and, to head off any wise remarks, I said hard "cliCK" and "CLick"
That should cover all possibilities, me hopes.

Victor Favot

Apr 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/3/99
Dennis,

I have had good results with Ken Cameron at Cameron's Music in Livonia. Also
with Brian Topolski at Woodwind Enterprises in Garden City.

Both competitively priced as well.

Vic
Victo...@msn.com

Mombar603

Apr 4, 1999, 4:00:00 AM4/4/99
I've had work done by both John Gill and Don LePage,and found John Gill's work
to be beyond reproach,whereas LePage often takes months,and doesn't always do a
great job.A friend had him replace springs on his late 50's MKVI,and half a
dozen had broken within six months.My friend eventually sold the VI,and I sit
next to it every Monday,where its new owner has ot rigged with rubber
bands......

Tom

Apr 4, 1999, 4:00:00 AM4/4/99
**Jerry Napier**
I dont know if he's still around, I dont live in the area anymore, havent
sen him for around 8 years. He was great, overauled my horn a few times,
did work for Rick Margitza, Larry NOzero, Geo. "Sax" benson, other Detroit
or ex-Detroit guys. He lives in Allen Park, very close to the airport,
dont know if hes still there, hope so. Try the phone book, or ask around.
Thanks,
Tom

In article <19990404173055...@ng28.aol.com>, momb...@aol.com
(Mombar603) wrote:

--
!!!!!!FORWARD IN ALL DIRECTIONS!!!!!

Jeff Kopmanis

Apr 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/5/99
Jerry's still working on horns....I've got an appointment for the 21st.
His number is 313-383-8850.

--
-------- University of Michigan Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
--------

Tim T

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99
Yea, check out Doug Glucken at Buddy Rogers in Lansing. I have played with
him and a great tech. Use to live in MI and played with him as well. When
I travel back on business, I'm always taking one horn or another to him.
Complete confidence and reasonable. Also, there use to be a very, very good
tech across the street from campus in Ann Arbor. Don't remember the name of
the store but it is the only one close to campus.

Good luck!
Tim T

dchadd

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99
In article <7ee5rq$p42$1...@camel21.mindspring.com>, "Tim says...
Tim,
I use Doug also, and have had very good luck with his work. Unfortunately,
Lansing is quite a drive from this corner of the State.

In Ann Arbor, you might be referring to Dave Juillette at Arbor Music. I used
him all the time for a number of years. All of a sudden, one day I went there
and the shop was closed. Don't know whatever happened to him. He was very
helpful. Used to play with Paul Vornhagen, too, I understand. Sure do miss him.

Dale

Piotr Michalowski

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99

dchadd wrote:In Ann Arbor, you might be referring to Dave Juillette at Arbor Music.
I used

> him all the time for a number of years. All of a sudden, one day I went there and
> the shop was closed. Don't know whatever happened to him. He was very helpful.
> Used to play with Paul Vornhagen, too, I understand. Sure do miss him.

Dave died a few years ago. His wife continued the store for a short while, but
could not find anyone to take over the repair shop, which was the major part of the
operation. She how works at Oz Music, but downtown Ann Arbor could very much use a
really good instrument repair shop!
Piotr