Which codec do I need to play .wma files with Winamp ???

Peter Hanke

Jan 5, 2003, 10:35:26 AM1/5/03
I got several .wma audio files and want to play them in Winamp 2.83. Which Codecs/plugins
do I need to play them properly ?

cu
Peter

erratic

Jan 5, 2003, 10:53:04 AM1/5/03
On Sun, 5 Jan 2003 16:35:26 +0100, pete...@andres.net (Peter Hanke) wrote:

>I got several .wma audio files and want to play them in Winamp 2.83. Which Codecs/plugins
>do I need to play them properly ?

Probably this one:
http://classic.winamp.com/plugins/detail.jhtml?componentId=80454

erratic

Jan 5, 2003, 11:13:17 AM1/5/03
On Sun, 5 Jan 2003 16:35:26 +0100, pete...@andres.net (Peter Hanke) wrote:

>I got several .wma audio files and want to play them in Winamp 2.83. Which Codecs/plugins
>do I need to play them properly ?

Probably this plugin:
http://classic.winamp.com/plugins/detail.jhtml?componentId=80454

CQ

Jan 5, 2003, 11:30:17 AM1/5/03
In article <av9jbs$fur$03$1...@news.t-online.com>, pete...@andres.net
says...

> I got several .wma audio files and want to play them in Winamp 2.83. Which Codecs/plugins
> do I need to play them properly ?

Winamp has had .wma playback capability (in the full version) since v2.5
according to the site. Not sure about the "light" version, so if you
have that you may have to go to the full version, but it should play them
without any added plugins or codecs.
--
CQ

CQ

Jan 5, 2003, 11:43:03 AM1/5/03
In article <MPG.188227a78...@news.cis.dfn.de>, m...@privacy.net
says...

> you may have to go to the full version, but it should play them
> without any added plugins or codecs.

I thought this was true but didn't have a wma file to check it with.

I just made one and checked. The full v2.8 that I have will play a mixed
playlist of wma, mp3 and ogg files....no problem. You do need the full
version though.

http://classic.winamp.com/
--
CQ

Michael Drolet

Jan 5, 2003, 11:54:27 AM1/5/03
I believe it's "Microsoft WINAMP/WMA plug-in v1.11 (x86) [IN_WM.DLL]" which
is included in the normal installation. It's in the plug-ins folder.

--
Michael Drolet
Instructor, Sound Design

"Peter Hanke" <pete...@andres.net> wrote in message

Shrivel

Jan 5, 2003, 12:48:09 PM1/5/03
I didn't think WinAmp would play WMA files, does it?

Use Windows Media Player for those...

Geoff Wood

Jan 5, 2003, 3:06:49 PM1/5/03

"Peter Hanke" <pete...@andres.net> wrote in message

As wma is now the prferred format for WIndows ans Media Player , I can't
imagine the latest WinAMp update doesn't support it ?

geoff

John L Rice

Jan 5, 2003, 4:32:56 PM1/5/03
"Peter Hanke" <pete...@andres.net> wrote in message

You shouldn't need any, support for WMA is built in. If your files don't
play in 2.81 maybe try upgrading to version 3. Keep in mind that for both
versions 2 and 3 you have to download the 'full' version, the 'Lite' and
'Standard' versions don't support WMA.

More at http://www.winamp.com

John L Rice
Dru...@ImJohn.com