Timed out (Waiting for incoming connection)

swapper

Apr 1, 2004, 11:03:04 AM4/1/04
For the past several weeks, almost everyone trying to upload from me
gets the above Timed Out message, with no bytes at all uploaded. Rarely,
maybe 1 out of 20 times, an upload starts, then after about 4000 bytes,
is disconnected.

I've tried using v3.3 and v3.31. Same problem.

I'm using W98 (not W98SE), and no firewall, no local network, no proxy
servers and no virus programs or popup-ad blockers. Thinking that my ISP
might be blocking my ports, I've changed them to the values used
successfully by eMule: In TCP 4662, and In/Out 4672. Same problem.

I've gone to Settings/Control Panel/ Network/Configuration/File and
Print sharing, and have checked the box allowing access to my files.

I have no problem downloading.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

NewB

Apr 1, 2004, 2:48:59 PM4/1/04
On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 16:03:04 GMT, swapper <swa...@optonline.net>
wrote in alt.music.mp3.winmx:

Warning to all!

Beware. Do NOT try this at home. If you do what this troll/trickster
*says* he does: operate with "no firewall *** no virus programs" and
open up file sharing via windows all of your personal info and saved
data will be at great risk.

This is just a lame trick.

swapper

Apr 1, 2004, 3:39:18 PM4/1/04

NewB wrote:

Thank you for pointing this out. I thought I would only be opening up
the files I specified in my Shared Directories. I was following someone
else's advice I found after googling the problem. Now I see I was wrong
and I have unchecked the box.

My reason for pointing out that I'm not using a firewall or virus
program was simply to rule out these as possible causes of my problem.
Again, this is based on advice I found in google searches. I'm not
advocating anyone do this long term.

The timeout problem is a legitimate one that's been plaguing me the past
few weeks. Of course, since I can d/l, maybe I shouldn't worry about it
at all. Just be a leech.

BTW, Kazaa Lite++ doesn't work either; get an immediate Abort before a
single byte is uploaded. Emule works both ways.

Secret

Apr 1, 2004, 4:52:49 PM4/1/04

Try some random port numbers between 10000 and 65000. Do a free online
virus scan
Try running AdAware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Make sure your shared folder has not been moved or renamed. Try a
refresh on the shared files window in WinMX. Try a reboot of Windows.
--
Secret

Billy Joe

Apr 1, 2004, 7:19:09 PM4/1/04

Just a guess, from reading the thread as the OP has replied.
If running KL++ and EM along with MX, I'll just bet that he's
also a primary!!

BJ

swapper

Apr 1, 2004, 10:34:30 PM4/1/04

I rarely try running more than one p2p program at once. The problem I'm
having with MX happens even when it's running alone. And yes, when I
connect to MX I am a primary. That's the way I've always connected to
MX, and have never had a problem with timed out uploads until a couple
of weeks ago.

To an earlier poster, I have run AdAware and SpyBot. Didn't solve the
problem. Started running the Panda program. It found lots of infected
files on the C drive, but it took so long that I didn't complete the
scan. Will do that overnight.

Thanks, everyone, for the various suggestions.

Swapper

Billy Joe

Apr 2, 2004, 10:13:37 PM4/2/04
<snip>

<snip>

The KEY word here is ALMOST!
If it is everyone, that's one kind of problem.
If it is NOT everyone, then it's another kind of problem.

Three things may stand between you and your upload candidates:
1) A firewall that permits server access (or specified ports)
2) A router that permits specified ports
3) An ISP who is nonchalant about the usage agreement

If it works at all, then it should work all the time except as
follows:
If it fails 100% of the time in a session AND works 100% of the
time in another session, you're using a dynamic IP and routers
can't deal with that.

There is nothing wrong, per se, using dynamic IP assignment.
You just need to be aware of it and adjust when required. I use
dynamic addresses, habitually check my IP address when starting
MX, and redirect the router if required.

One other thing to try, which always amazes me but seems to work
quite often, is the content of your down load folder. Create a
new one and change to it. If the problem stops, drag files from
the previous folder into the new one, a few at a time. When the
problem resurrects itself, one of the files you just dragged in
has a problem. If that is the case, don't presume it was the
only file. After eliminating it, continue to restore just a few
at a time and test.

I had mentioned running as a primary, because many users who are
ill equipped to do so are, and many of them have all sorts of
peculiar problems. If you have been successful in the past as a
primary then, barring any recent change to your system, you
should be again.

BJ

swapper

Apr 3, 2004, 12:35:46 PM4/3/04
Billy Joe wrote:

> <snip>

> <snip>
>

> The KEY word here is ALMOST!
> If it is everyone, that's one kind of problem.
> If it is NOT everyone, then it's another kind of problem.

The problem had been 100% for weeks; then yesterday, one u/l went to
completion.

> Three things may stand between you and your upload candidates:
> 1) A firewall that permits server access (or specified ports)
> 2) A router that permits specified ports
> 3) An ISP who is nonchalant about the usage agreement

My ISP claims that it isn't blocking any ports except 80 and 21. I
suppose the fact that my eMule uploads work confirms this. BYW, I'm
using ports 34662 for incoming and 34672 for UDP.

> If it works at all, then it should work all the time except as
> follows:
> If it fails 100% of the time in a session AND works 100% of the
> time in another session, you're using a dynamic IP and routers
> can't deal with that.

Never works 100%. Fails 95%.

> There is nothing wrong, per se, using dynamic IP assignment.
> You just need to be aware of it and adjust when required. I use
> dynamic addresses, habitually check my IP address when starting
> MX, and redirect the router if required.

You're getting a bit over my head. How do I check IP addresses and
redirect the router? As mentioned in original post, I don't have a
firewall, LAN, proxy, or anti-virus programs. I've disabled my popup ad
blocker.

If I go to Settings/Control Panel/Network/TCP -> 32 bit PCI Fast
Ethernet Adapter/Properties, the "Obtain an IP address automatically"
box is checked.

> One other thing to try, which always amazes me but seems to work
> quite often, is the content of your down load folder. Create a
> new one and change to it. If the problem stops, drag files from
> the previous folder into the new one, a few at a time. When the
> problem resurrects itself, one of the files you just dragged in
> has a problem. If that is the case, don't presume it was the
> only file. After eliminating it, continue to restore just a few
> at a time and test.

I've been sharing files (about 180) just in my Download folder. So I
unshared that folder and instead shared a different folder with 1800+
songs. Same problem. Of course if there are problem files in both
folders, then I would have to go through the lenghty procedure you suggest.

> I had mentioned running as a primary, because many users who are
> ill equipped to do so are, and many of them have all sorts of
> peculiar problems. If you have been successful in the past as a
> primary then, barring any recent change to your system, you
> should be again.

I've only been running as a Primary, ever since Napster and AudioGalaxy
went down.

Do you thing that just installing eMule (Kazaa Lite++) could screw up
MX, even if I'm running MX alone?

Thanks.

Billy Joe

Apr 3, 2004, 2:46:56 PM4/3/04
<snip>

> My ISP claims that it isn't blocking any ports except 80 and
> 21. I suppose the fact that my eMule uploads work confirms
> this. BYW, I'm using ports 34662 for incoming and 34672
> for UDP.

Yep, if emule uploads run, ISP should not be blocking WinMX.

<snip>

> You're getting a bit over my head. How do I check IP
> addresses and redirect the router? As mentioned in original
> post, I don't have a firewall, LAN, proxy, or anti-virus
> programs. I've disabled my popup ad blocker.
>
> If I go to Settings/Control Panel/Network/TCP -> 32 bit PCI
> Fast
> Ethernet Adapter/Properties, the "Obtain an IP address
> automatically"
> box is checked.

Sorry, not running a network did not mean to me that you might
not be using a router. They, after all, are good protection
from intrusion.

You properties are OK then.

<snip>

> I've been sharing files (about 180) just in my Download
> folder. So I unshared that folder and instead shared a
> different folder with 1800+ songs. Same problem. Of course if
> there are problem files in both
> folders, then I would have to go through the lenghty
> procedure you suggest.

The suggestion was to EMPTY your download folder.
So, when you shared the other folder, did you also switch to
anew empty download folder? This part is neither painful nor
lengthy. If the problem persists with an empty download folder,
then that's not the problem and you can return to using the
folder that you were using before. If the problem goes away
THEN the dragging starts, in order to find which file(s) may be
causing problems.

<snip>

> Do you thing that just installing eMule (Kazaa Lite++) could
> screw up
> MX, even if I'm running MX alone?

No, I don't see why installing KL++ would disrupt MX.

BJ

swapper

Apr 3, 2004, 4:33:37 PM4/3/04

Billy Joe wrote:

Seems like everything is falling apart lately with the network. The
search screen says certain files are available without a queue, but when
I try d/l'ing them, I'm in a queue, or the file isn't available, or my
attempts at d/l'ing are now timing out waiting for a connection.

I've uninstalled MX v3.31 and went back to v3.3. I've set up a brand new
shared folder and put 18 files in it. Still, u/l's are timing out. I'm
ready to give up.

Tnanks for you patience and suggestions.

swapper

Apr 3, 2004, 4:40:00 PM4/3/04

swapper wrote:

Would you believe that just after posting my last message, an 8-MB u/l
went to completion at a decent rate of 20 k/s?!

Billy Joe

Apr 3, 2004, 8:43:03 PM4/3/04
<snip>

> Would you believe that just after posting my last message, an
> 8-MB u/l went to completion at a decent rate of 20 k/s?!

Well, I'd guess then that the answer is you need to stay tuned
in to this newsgroup all the time ;-0)

Let's hope it continues!

BJ

anon

Apr 8, 2004, 2:01:49 AM4/8/04

I reported this on the 19th (Look for "flurry" in subj line) and
just now stopped back to see if anyone'd replied and found this
thread instead...

It's some kind of probe/attack going on. Increasing the time-out
duration will do no good: When I see a request come in I do a >netstat
and the connection never shows up on the list. Yet the app would
not have known there was an inquiry to share at all unless the router
(mine's Linksys) hadn't done (at least part of) its job properly.

I basically agree with "If it works at all, then it should work all
the time". I'd changed nothing and all of a sudden I saw a flurry of
"Timed out..."s. If I was the only one having the problem I'd want to
look into my set-up, but it'd been working so well for so long that
changing anything was not likely to do any good...

I've done nothing (since ascertaining weeks ago that rebooting wasn't
the answer) and it's up to over 50% success ratio lately. It surprised
me to see that one of the failures resulted in an IM -- I've been
unable to successfully whois any of the failures I've watched occur.