Led Zeppelin defeat Beatles in the ultimate rock band competition

1 view

Raja, The Great

Jan 4, 2011, 7:22:28 PM1/4/11
Not that this means anything...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_in_a_Rock_'n'_Roll_Band!

From the long lists for best band, singer, guitarist and drummer, a
shortlist of three nominations each went forward for discussion in the
live final. The short lists were as follows:
Band
The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Queen

Singer
Kurt Cobain - Nirvana
Freddie Mercury - Queen
Robert Plant - Led Zeppelin

Guitarist
Jimi Hendrix - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Jimmy Page - Led Zeppelin
Slash - Guns N' Roses

Drummer
John Bonham - Led Zeppelin
Dave Grohl - Nirvana
Keith Moon - The Who

The winners of the best band, drummer, singer and guitarist were
decided by phone voting during the live final. The winner of the best
bassist was decided by online voting. At the end of the live final,
all the results were announced, as follows:

Best Band
Led Zeppelin

who?

Jan 4, 2011, 8:11:25 PM1/4/11

Just someone's opinion.

RichL

Jan 4, 2011, 8:31:30 PM1/4/11
Hopeless, hopeless, hopeless.

Do you really spend all day surfing the net looking for something, anything
to VALIDATE your preconceived notions about what is good and what isn't?

It's really pathetic.

Raja, The Great

Jan 4, 2011, 8:33:03 PM1/4/11

I just came across this, fool

who?

Jan 4, 2011, 9:13:57 PM1/4/11

Problem is, you just accidentally on purpose keep
finding this stuff

King Size Johnson

Jan 4, 2011, 9:32:06 PM1/4/11
On Jan 4, 7:22 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not that this means anything...

Preface all your posts this way.

RichL

Jan 4, 2011, 10:05:56 PM1/4/11
"Raja, The Great" <zepf...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Right, and someone FORCED you to post it here!

billy

Jan 4, 2011, 11:26:04 PM1/4/11
On Jan 4, 7:22 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Not that this means anything...Not that this means anything...Not that
this means anything...Not that this means anythingNot that this means
anything...Not that this means anything...Not that this means
anything...Not that this means anything Not that this means
anything...Not that this means anything...Not that this means
anything...Not that this means anythingNot that this means
anything...Not that this means anything...Not that this means
anything...Not that this means anything

P-Dub

Jan 4, 2011, 11:38:36 PM1/4/11

To the idiot that posted this first...

There would have been no Led Zeppelin without the Beatles. Jimmy Page,
Robert Plant, J P Jones, and the late John Bonham would have been happy
to tell you this.

P-Dub: The Beatles were the best - and most successful - band of all
time - period. What they did inspired generations after them in all
aspects of life.

Raja, The Great

Jan 5, 2011, 12:12:43 AM1/5/11

There would be no Beatles without Elvis Presley. Whats your point,
dumbo?

JohnB

Jan 5, 2011, 4:08:03 AM1/5/11

I watched the original programmes in May last year. They were pretty
dire.
No one took it seriously. I don't think the viewing figures or reviews
were good, and the voting numbers were small and hardly representative
of anything meaningful.
Best singer: Freddy Mercury
Best guitarist: Jimi Hendrix
Best drummer: John Bonham
Best bass: Flea

And I bet you wouldn't have mentioned this it all if the best band had
been, say, Queen.

Jim Beam

Jan 5, 2011, 7:51:03 AM1/5/11
> dumbo?- Hide quoted text -

Correction:
Their would have been no Beatles with out John,Paul,George and Ringo.
(Pete and Stu),
the parents,grandparents and so on.

Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly

billy

Jan 5, 2011, 8:50:37 AM1/5/11
> dumbo?- Hide quoted text -

how many penises have been in your mouth? answer honestly

Raja, The Great

Jan 5, 2011, 11:03:30 AM1/5/11

And a host of other 50s rock and rollers.

Raja, The Great

Jan 5, 2011, 11:02:55 AM1/5/11

No. I just mentioned it with no purpose.

Aaron Eel (Ehrin)

Jan 5, 2011, 9:07:20 PM1/5/11

The only thing that can matter about such things is who sold the most
record units. That is really all that matters where the tire meets the
road.

Aaron Eel
(Ehrin Lloyd)

Artcinco

Jan 5, 2011, 9:18:55 PM1/5/11
In article
<5c4bfce6-8459-493a...@u25g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,

"Aaron Eel (Ehrin)" <LloydsE...@AOL.com> wrote:

> The only thing that can matter about such things is who sold the most
> record units. That is really all that matters where the tire meets the
> road.

Maybe they should just DO IT IN THE ROAD?

billy

Jan 6, 2011, 1:06:48 AM1/6/11
On Jan 4, 7:22 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:

why would you post this crap?

Aaron Eel (Ehrin)

Jan 6, 2011, 1:43:43 AM1/6/11
On Jan 5, 9:18 pm, QuEeR-BoY <McT...@happyTardz.com> wrote:

<snip sock-puppet lunacy>

SPAM

scouser

Jan 6, 2011, 3:15:41 AM1/6/11
> why would you post this crap?- Hide quoted text -

Because he wants attention - its like that old saying "there's no such
thing as bad publicity" - so it doesn't matter that everyone thinks he
is a waste of space. As long as anyone answers he will continue to
post.

Jim Beam

Jan 6, 2011, 6:27:48 AM1/6/11
> And a host of other 50s rock and rollers.- Hide quoted text -

They were mostly influenced the by three names mentioned.

Raja, The Great

Jan 6, 2011, 9:48:24 AM1/6/11

Then why did Lennon say without Elvis there would be no Beatles? Elvis
hardly made a masterpiece album and never wrote a song, but performed
in some of the best rock n roll songs of all time. You have to give
him some credit.

JohnB

Jan 6, 2011, 10:03:01 AM1/6/11
On Jan 6, 2:48 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jan 6, 5:27 am, Jim Beam <Tenbeers1...@yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip>

> > > And a host of other 50s rock and rollers.- Hide quoted text -

> > They were mostly influenced the by three names mentioned.
>
> Then why did Lennon say without Elvis there would be no Beatles? Elvis
> hardly made a masterpiece album and never wrote a song, but performed
> in some of the best rock n roll songs of all time. You have to give
> him some credit.

Everybody is influenced by what's gone before. Sometimes it's the
music that influences, sometimes the image or attitude, sometimes
purely the success. Not all influences are acknowledged or even
realised. As well as the rock'n'roll stars of the 50s, McCartney was
influenced by British Music Hall traditions; George was influenced by
Carl Perkins probably most of all; John was influenced by Elvis and
others. They were all influenced by Chuck Berry, the Everley Brothers,
Smokey Robinson and a host of others. The Beatles great strength was
the number of different areas they took influence from.
Zep, the Stones and the Animals (amongst others) took most of their
influence from the blues guys, from Robert Johnson onwards. Dylan got
a lot of his from Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly. You could name any
artist of any era and they would have their heroes who went before
them who influenced what they did.

The Nice Mean Man

Jan 6, 2011, 10:18:55 AM1/6/11
> them who influenced what they did.- Hide quoted text -

Very true. Good post.

TNMM

who?

Jan 6, 2011, 11:26:45 AM1/6/11

Good post, but I don't see how people can listen to Robert
Johnson. The recordings are what's awful, not his talent.

Raja, The Great

Jan 6, 2011, 11:51:54 AM1/6/11
On Jan 6, 9:03 am, JohnB <johnbo...@tinyworld.co.uk> wrote:

I agree. Good post.

Jim Beam

Jan 6, 2011, 1:23:42 PM1/6/11
> Johnson. The recordings are what's awful, not his talent.- Hide quoted text -

Then go to the next best thing, Clapton covers alot of him.

who?

Jan 6, 2011, 4:28:43 PM1/6/11

Yeah, I have heard that. I'm not familiar with the songs though.

copperhead

Jan 6, 2011, 5:33:38 PM1/6/11
On Jan 6, 10:26 am, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Jan 6, 9:03 am, JohnB <johnbo...@tinyworld.co.uk> wrote:

> Good post, but I don't see how people can listen to Robert

> Johnson. The recordings are what's awful, not his talent.- Hide quoted text -

You need to take a trip over to Morgan City Mississippi on a rainy day
in November. Then those recordings sound just right.

who?

Jan 6, 2011, 6:01:09 PM1/6/11

I'm just not that much into the blues like I once was.
Made myself 2 CD's though of the 30's and 40's.
I like those years better than the 50's.

The Nice Mean Man

Jan 6, 2011, 9:58:11 PM1/6/11
> Johnson. The recordings are what's awful, not his talent.- Hide quoted text -

LOL....!!! It never ceases to amaze me... the level that people who
claim to follow a path of musical understanding can sink to and still
remember not to wet their pants..! Christ-almighty, Dude... We're
talking about a national treasure here and you're worried that it
wasn't recorded at AIR studios! You're the type of person who when
shown the original copy of the Bill of Rights, will remark that it's
too bad they had to write it on such crummy old paper! You have to
learn to look BEYOND that sort of stuff. To the greater good found
BETWEEN the grooves! Not on ‘em! There are some blues recordings out
there where there is only one copy of the record extant. People like
Son House and Charlie Patton I'm talking about here. Record collectors
and blues audiophiles would KILL for those damned things. So at least
try to sound a little intelligent here. I know that RMB ain't got much
in the way of grey matter. But at least they aren’t where you're
at...! Sitting in a puddle of piss, all the while wondering why your
pants are so wet…

LOL...!!!

The Nice Mean Man

GOT THAT....?

THE NICE MEAN MAN

The Nice Mean Man

Jan 6, 2011, 10:08:03 PM1/6/11
> Then go to the next best thing, Clapton covers alot of him.- Hide quoted text -

The Robert Johnson masters are right from the original Vocalion Record
Company originalss, aren't they? They sure sound uniformed fine to me.
All I can hear are the limitations of the equipment of the day. They
sound exactly like they were being played of a brand-new store-bought
78 to me. Now that ain’t great by today’s standards. But it’s a far
cry from bad. I’ve heard some Patton discs that are almost
undecipherable. But that don’t matter none at all. All WE care about
is what happened to those 16 lost unissued masters!

TNMM

The Nice Mean Man

Jan 6, 2011, 10:14:25 PM1/6/11
> Then go to the next best thing, Clapton covers alot of him.- Hide quoted text -

The Robert Johnson recordings are right from the original Vocalion
masters, aren't they? They sure sound uniformed and fine to me. All I

can hear are the limitations of the equipment of the day. They sound

exactly like they were being played off a brand-new store-bought 78 to

me. Now that ain’t great by today’s standards. But it’s a far cry from

bad. I’ve heard some Charlie Patton recordings that are almost

undecipherable. But that don’t matter none at all. All WE care about

is what happened to those 16 unissued lost masters!

TNMM

The Nice Mean Man

Jan 6, 2011, 10:38:15 PM1/6/11
> Yeah, I have heard that. I'm not familiar with the songs though.- Hide quoted text -

Clapton is a great recommendation. And the songs can be found on two
records Clapton recorded them expressedly for this purpose

http://www.amazon.com/Me-Mr-Johnson-Eric-Clapton/dp/B0001HAHXW

and...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000660UN0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1

Ifin` you don't like HIM, then try Peter Green (of the old Fleetwood
Mac's)versions...

http://www.amazon.com/Plays-Blues-Classic-Compositions-Johnson/dp/B00006JOC7/ref=sr_1_4

or

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Foot-Powder-Peter-Green/dp/B00004S2UU/ref=sr_1_6

Both guitarists are guaranteed to get you where Mister Johnson SOMEHOW
don't know how...

Goddamned, boy… and you know it’s true… You can lead a horse to water,
and all the rest of that jazz.......

TNMM.

who?

Jan 7, 2011, 1:01:56 AM1/7/11
> http://www.amazon.com/Plays-Blues-Classic-Compositions-Johnson/dp/B00...
>
> or
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Foot-Powder-Peter-Green/dp/B00004S2UU/ref=s...

> Both guitarists are guaranteed to get you where Mister Johnson SOMEHOW
> don't know how...
>
> Goddamned, boy… and you know it’s true… You can lead a horse to water,
> and all the rest of that jazz.......
>
> TNMM.

Thanks for the links.

who?

Jan 7, 2011, 1:06:56 AM1/7/11

Did you see my previous post? I was just saying I'm not into the
blues that much. I was up to about age 16. That was back in
1972.....long ago.

The Nice Mean Man

Jan 7, 2011, 1:45:41 AM1/7/11
> 1972.....long ago.-

No. I didn't. I was going by your statement here ("The recordings are
what's awful, not his talent") when I posted that response. But that
IS good to see. And I do know how one can become disinterested in
things like old time blues music. That's why there's old time country!
Folk! Old-world music! Sea Shanties! Cajun! Bluegrass! Rap!

No.. Only kidding there. Rap is not music. Most rappers can't even
carry a tune. I've see it. Rap is NOT music. What it IS is amplified
African rhythms pounded out to a deluge of angry hate-oriented vomit
that they call street poetry. It's living human filth. The symptom of
a very sick America.

Not to go off on THAT too heavily, but I get your drift. No probleemo…

I swear I think you're a woman...

TNMM

who?

Jan 7, 2011, 2:42:27 AM1/7/11

Well, whatever you think of me is fine. I don't have a persona to
keep up here, and what people see is what they get, the same
as every poster who posts here.