WHO'S THE GREATEST LYRIC WRITER?

poetr...@my-deja.com

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
Who is the greatest writer of lyrics in the history of rock, pop and
soul music? If you know read below and let us know.
We feel it is an appropriate time to find the writer of the most poetic
lyrics in popular music. With the music scene populated with songs that
sound similar it is the lyric writer that can seperate a well written
song from the run of the mill. Should you know of a song (s) that
features what you feel are the most inspiring lyrics of all time then
let us know. You MUST send the name of the song, the lyric writer, THE
COMPLETE LYRICS and if possible the copyright information. You can
nominate a song by e-mail at "poe...@freemail.com.au". A panel of
judges including music critics, literature experts and general public
will look at all nominations individually. Generalised sweeping
statements such as 'a certain writer is the best poet in rock' will not
be accepted. The judging will be on individual songs only. You may
NOMINATE MORE THAN ONE song from any artist or songs from different
artists. We do ask that you include lyrics as we are receiving thousands
of nominations and do not have the time to search for lyrics no matter
how common or widely known a song may be. The name of the songwriter
will be kept hidden from the judging panel to avoid bias. Nominations
close December 6th 1999. Stay tuned for news of a web-site dedicated to
the lyric writers of this century, that will keep you updated with the
judging process.
Who will it be? Joni Mitchell, Sting, Dylan or Jewel, or some unknown or
under-rated writer? Let us know which song it will be. Do not rely on
others to nominate your choice no matter how well known a song may be.
Don't forget to tell all your friends, but remember there is no
advantage in nominating the same song more than once. Only those songs
nominated by the public will be considered. This will NOT however be
decided on a voting basis- that is on which song or writer receives the
most nominations.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Slubberdegullion

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
Bad day to ask.

Obviously its Peter Gabriel.

--
Slubberdegullion

"They say she comes on pale train......
......But I'm sure I hear a horse"

<poetr...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Adam Kimmel

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
I'm nominating is darker twin, Peter Hammill

Slubberdegullion <nos...@cwcom.net> wrote in message

GigiDean

Nov 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/9/99
>Obviously its Peter Gabriel.

oh noo

KeVlaR

Nov 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/9/99
Bob Dylan !!!!!

--
KeVlaR
kev...@d-evans.karoo.co.uk

Exterminate all rational thought...that is the conclusion I have come to.
(William Burroughs - Naked Lunch)

Adam Kimmel <ad...@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message

Eric Daem

Nov 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/9/99
Fish... Script for a Jester's Tear...

Henrik Larsson

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
ROBERT ZIMMERMAN

BoB

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99

Henrik Larsson wrote in message <8Fu_3.3415$kb....@nntpserver.swip.net>...
>ROBERT ZIMMERMAN

I much prefer Bob Dylan's writing

BoB

Jo Mackie

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
hmmmm....I think Melissa Etheridge really has to have a big chunk of this
one. I like Dylan but I think it sits better as poetry that general lyric.

So my vote is Etheridge...

Alberto Mendez

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
Jo Mackie wrote:

Please, ... you're comparing a great poet (Dylan) to a bland, safely
mainstream songwriter whose "heartfelt" lyrical style is about as original and
innovative as Disney films. Not even starting on the music ...

There are hundreds of infinitely more talented woman songwriters around:

Kate Bush, Joni Mitchell, Tori Amos,Kristin Hersh, Juliana Hatfield, Tanya
Donnelly,Kirsty MacColl, Sinead O'Connor, Bjork, Suzanne Vega, Jane Siberry,
Sam Phillips, ...

--
Alberto

xenaswolf

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
Melissa Etheridge gets my vote too. She has ways of saying things that get
straight to the heart and speak about my life.

Please, ... you're comparing a great poet (Dylan) to a bland, safely
> mainstream songwriter whose "heartfelt" lyrical style is about as original
and
> innovative as Disney films. Not even starting on the music ...

Nice thing about the internet and the USA, you can have any opinion, even
ones that are full of crap, such as the one I quoted above. Alot of the
reason I don't like Dylan is because I can't relate to him. If you don't
understand an artist, you have a tendency to say nasty things about that
artist. Just because you can't relate to Melissa Etheridge's music is no
reason to call her music bland or to claim it isn't heartfelt. IF she is so
mainstream, how come her videos and songs aren't on TV and radio all the
time.

Disney by the way, has had some very innovative movies.

Xenaswolf

Alberto Mendez <alb...@physics.usyd.edu.au> wrote in message

Shelly & Julie

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
Melissa does it for me also. Guess I relate to her heartfelt style. It's
never seemed "safe", nor "bland" to me. She takes difficult topics and
makes them real.

shelly

Alberto Mendez

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
xenaswolf wrote:

> Nice thing about the internet and the USA, you can have any opinion, even
> ones that are full of crap, such as the one I quoted above.

Maybe if you extended your worldview beyond "the land of the free" you'd
realise that email addresses ending in .au are actually from Australia (look it
up in a map, somewhere in Europe is a good starting point). And yeah, we got
this internet thingy earlier this year, pretty nifty too!

> Alot of the reason I don't like Dylan is because I can't relate to him. If
> you don't
> understand an artist, you have a tendency to say nasty things about that
> artist. Just because you can't relate to Melissa Etheridge's music is no
> reason to call her music bland or to claim it isn't heartfelt. IF she is so
> mainstream, how come her videos and songs aren't on TV and radio all the
> time.

You don't have to relate or (necessarily) understand an artist to appreciate
that they have talent. I am not a fan of Bob Marley or Janis Joplin (for
instance) but I recognise that they were very talented and made a huge
contribution to music. Although there is a huge amount of subjectivity in
personal musical taste, time has a way of objectifying the inherent worth in
any artists contribution to the musical landscape. In years to come Melissa
Etheridge, I imagine, will rank as a female version of John Mellencamp (NOT a
good thing, by the way!). And in Australia at least she is as mainstream as
they come. She is part of the staple diet of those horrid "best of the 60s, 70s
and 80s" stations.

> Disney by the way, has had some very innovative movies.

With the exception of Fantasia, I can't think of any.

Alberto

Jo Mackie

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
alberto wrote>

"Maybe if you extended your worldview beyond "the land of the free" you'd
>realise that email addresses ending in .au are actually from Australia
(look it
>up in a map, somewhere in Europe is a good starting point). And yeah, we
got
>this internet thingy earlier this year, pretty nifty too!"

Alberto ...mate you are an absolute classic...You got one thing right the
.au is most definitley aussie. I am a proud and true blue Australian...BUT
if you want to know where Australia is....Europe is NOT the place to
look...so much for your worldy views. Check your bloody atlas before you
rip strips of someone else for their minor over sight.

And yep...there are a swag of fantastic lyricists. I would most definitley
include in a top 10 as far as women go:- (not necessarily in order of
preference either...but ...well..ok..MLE is my #1...MY personal preference
there)
1. Melissa Etheridge
2. Joni Mitchell
3. Tracey Chapman
4. Emily Saliers
5.Amy Ray
6. Joan Armatrading
7. Carole King
8. Carol Bayer-Sager
9. Jewel
10. You could pick an number of contemporary and earlier here....or a guy.
Sorry just a little feminist dig there.

As far as male lyricists go...I'm more familiar with 60's to the present
day...tho I love some of the stuff Cole Porter did. Bruce Sprinsteen,
Jackson Browne, Bernie Taupin, and James Taylor are my faves.
But the point is...we are surrounded be talented people...who can touch a
place inside us that we find so hard to put in words...that is the truth of
a great lyricist...it's personal...it has nothing to do with how many
records they sell...or whether or not the could get stoned and still write
bad poetry and live to tell the story.

And jsut for Alberto's benefit.....Why do you think they call Australia the
land down under...look in th southern hemisphere for me matey...or do I need
to point that out for you too.
Peace and Kindest Regards you y'all
JO

Christopher Lawley

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99

I would say Peter Gabriel and Neil Peart from Rush.

xenaswolf

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
Jo, I think I love you! LOL I do enjoy a good reply. I personally get too
freaking mad to state my point in an intelligent manor. If I remember
correctly Alberto stated Dylan was a great poet. Now, I'm just curious. I
would like an audience poll on which of the two sets of lyrics is more
poetic. ( A little unscientific experiment. I'm not a college kid so I don't
know how to do it mathematically correct or what not :)~\

1. "You brought me to trust, you brought me to tears, with one gentle touch,
the pain disappeared."
2. " They stone you when you try be so good. They'll stone you just like
they said they would."

I know what my vote is. And I know which one is bland and mainstream for the
times.

Xenaswolf

Jo Mackie <jo...@vic.australis.com.au> wrote in message

Mortimer Snerd

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
It's impossible for me to pick only one. Especially the "greatest". My
musical tastes change like the weather.
I'd like to throw out a few names tho' for at least an honorable
mention:
1) Hank Williams
2) Don Van Vliet
3) Chuck Berry
4) James Osterburg
5) Irving Berlin
There's others like Bob Marley, Lou Reed *maybe*, Brian James/Capt.
Sensible, ect.
Let's not even get into opera/classical music librettos; like
Schiller...
--
Mortimer Snerd
c/o The Black Pussycat Cafe

BoB

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
Knock knock. Hello stupid

it seems that not only does the wand of satire miss the "land of the free"
it seems to miss most of the "land of the criminally exported".

as Albetros address appears to be alb...@physics.usyd.edu.au do you think
that Alberto would be struggling to find Australia in Europe.

Oh, there is no satire in this message so don't bother straining your brain
cell looking for it.

BoB

Jo Mackie

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
Hey Buddy....if it reaches...you know what do do with it.
Go read Albertos post and determine for your self BOB!!...i can see exactly
where albertos Addy is from...i don;t need a supercilious pleb like you to
tell me.
And yeah bob...one great thing about being an aussie is that we look at a
few of you Poms and we know why you guys whinge so much...you sent US to the
country with the beautiful weather and white sandy beaches...look where you
are...Suffer buddy....I live proud with my second fleet heritage personally
(As I sit looking out upon blue skies and sandy ocean beaches....soft salt
breezes and thank God my Irish/ English ancestors had the mind to stay
here....proud to be a 7th Generation Australian :O) )

Have a nice Day BoB
P and KR
JO

Jo Mackie

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
Goodness...who would ahve thought such a question would have so many
different responses. I suppose it just goes to show how diverse our tastes
are in music...and aint it grand.!!
This is the beauty of music....it takes all kinds.
I guess...if we look at how we have reacted to some of these posts you can
see a trend...I have such a wide musical taste...i can only speak for my
current mood, tastes, knowledge and experience...i do not however crap on
other peoples opinions. I excercise tolerence in that regard...maybe that
is because I see such intolerance all around me and I try to teach my sons
to accept peoples differences as jsut that...we are all different. thank
the goddess for that.

I have really enjoyed this debate on who is the greatest lyric writer...i
think we can all conclude...it's too damn hard to just pick one.
peace and kindest regards y'all
Jo

Alberto Mendez

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
You're right, it's very UNscientific: take an isolated, out of context example
that just happens to back up your argument (mind you I don't think 1. is
exactly stretching the boundaries of original songwriting, just reiterating
love song cliches found in 90% of pop music). In this manner I am sure that you
could prove that Britney Spears is a the best "songwriter" EVER.

What might Ms Etheridge's equivalents of Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands,
Desolation Row or Blind Willie McTell be then?

Alberto

xenaswolf

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
Whatever college boy........

Alberto Mendez <alb...@physics.usyd.edu.au> wrote in message

BoB

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
Thud

the sound of the mark being wildly missed

Yep. take care in paradise bud. Stay away from Woomera though

BoB the poor pom who never goes anywhere and is doomed to stay in blighty
for ever and an eternity but will be going to see ReGenesis in Southampton
and Whitley Bay before travelling home to Dundee whilst trying to get the
longest sig on the newsgroup

Jo Mackie

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
Tell me Alberto...Why in heavens name would we want an equivalent of Sad
eyed Lady of the low lands...et al. I am so thankful that someone such as
etheridge stands apart from such stoned musings. dylan is a walking living
cliche..he had his moments and they are gone gone gone.

"When I was a child
I dreamed like a child of wonder
With my back in the grass
My eyes to the sky to see...
I believed in the stars
I knew they cast a spell I was under
With my fingers in the dirt
I was part of the earth
Every living thing was a part of me"
- melissa
etheridge, My Back Door

So full of cliches hey alberto...does it take you to a place in your
childhood...where you watched the shape of the clouds move from dinosaurs to
elephants to angels and ghosts....that innocence. and then we realise when
we leave childhood...the innocence is gone. so full of cliches....not.

Lets face it Alberto...we are not going to agree on this...so lets just
agree to disagree shall we.

Pand KR
Jo

Jo Mackie

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
Goodness BoB
you ARE a man of the world...i do apologise...I should not have assumed you
were a Pom.

But...MY GOODNESS, to travel the length and breadth of the UK...what a total
of say 400 miles as the crow flies....THAT is travel man. As much as I'd
love to have a battle of wits with you BoB...your only half prepared. And
you remind me so much of my ex-father-in-law with that Dundee arrogance...he
was originally born in Airley Bank...no doubt such a widley travelled man
such as your self would know where that is. Actually maybe its a thing with
Scots in general. Nope shame shame ..i should never generalise like
that...Annie Lennox is afterall a Scot.
Anyway Bob...happy travelling matey....enjoy the world that is...the
UK..maybe soon...you'll even venture over seas....oooh...maybe to the Isle
of Man.
BTW...I know my geography VERY well. Let me think where my last venture
was...Oh yeah...Via Japan to Chicago...then into North Carolina...touring
through Tennessee, and Mississippi via South Carolina...back to Tokyo and
back home to Melbourne. Thought I might try the Convenience store down the
road for something dangerous....might do it at night.

Enjoy Genesis BoB ol' boy
P and KR
Jo

Covenant

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
BoB <bob.maich_hey_sp...@attglobal.net> wrote in message

> BoB the poor pom who never goes anywhere and is doomed to stay in blighty
> for ever and an eternity but will be going to see ReGenesis in Southampton
> and Whitley Bay before travelling home to Dundee whilst trying to get the
> longest sig on the newsgroup

So...
You are actually gonna be BACK in Dundee at some point huh !!

;')

Covenant.
A Man Who *May* Yet Buy Bob That Pint!

bewtifulfreak

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99

BoB <bob.maich_hey_sp...@attglobal.net> wrote in message

> BoB the poor pom who never goes anywhere

Yeah, BoB, you really need to get out more...... ;)

Ann

BoB

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
Hi Cov

should be up there on the 19th for a couple of days, so can catch up with
you then

best regards

BoB

Covenant wrote in message <81ur5b$s46$4...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>...

BoB

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
Jo

www.maich.swinternet.co.uk

look under travel

BoB

BoB

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
Hi Ann

bewtifulfreak wrote in message <81vbdg$kom$1...@supernews.com>...

>BoB <bob.maich_hey_sp...@attglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>> BoB the poor pom who never goes anywhere
>

>Yeah, BoB, you really need to get out more...... ;)

ROTFL

I nominate me as the least travelled member of the NG in the NG awards this
year

>Ann

BoB (the half-wit)

bewtifulfreak

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99

BoB 'Man of the World' Maich

> www.maich.swinternet.co.uk
>
> look under travel

Wow, BoB.....I knew you travelled quite a bit, but I never knew *quite* how
much! Lovely pix..... :)

Ann

Covenant

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99

> Hi Cov
>
> should be up there on the 19th for a couple of days, so can catch up with
> you then

Just drop me a line !
Cheers!!

--
Covenant.
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

BoB

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
Hi Ann

bewtifulfreak wrote in message <821vmo$k6h$1...@supernews.com>...

>BoB 'Man of the World' Maich

><bob.maich_hey_sp...@attglobal.net> wrote in message

>> www.maich.swinternet.co.uk
>>
>> look under travel
>
>Wow, BoB.....I knew you travelled quite a bit, but I never knew *quite* how
>much! Lovely pix..... :)

more to come when I get round to revamping the web-site. I'll do a mini
update just after getting some pictures of the last couple of Nigels
ReGenesis gigs.......;-)

>Ann

BoB

F.B.

Dec 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/4/99
In <rXr04.98$mc3....@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net> "Jo Mackie"

Melissa Etheridge lyrics are god-awful; among the very worst I've heard
in popular music, precisesly because she tries to stuff meaning into
them but lacks the ability to do so with any amount of understatement,
tact, or wit.
Comparing Etheridge to Bob Dylan... is there a greater sacrilige?

Matt P

xenaswolf

Dec 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/4/99
Yes, and it is you bothering to try and fire up a now ended debate.
F.B. <ltri...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Raheeb Rahman

Dec 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/4/99
She's not as bad as all that, but the comparison is questionable... Raheeb

F.B.

Dec 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/4/99
In <v3924.16951$M%.125052@news.rdc1.wa.home.com> "xenaswolf"

<xena...@home.com> writes:

>Yes, and it is you bothering to try and fire up a now ended debate.

There is no debate on this issue -- Etheridge is awful and Dylan is
genius. You are right -- no need to discuss that one any further.

Matt P

pollyanna

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99
The really great thing about a diverse society is that we each have
differing opinions. With this diversity, we have the opportunity to
actually learn from one another. How much more delightful that can be
than flaming one another for our opinions.

Matt....give it up and let it go.

-pollyanna

--
multiply life by the power of two

Javacrucian

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99

Henrik Larsson wrote:

> ROBERT ZIMMERMAN

I humbly suggest Neil Peart, followed closely by Roger Waters/David
Gilmour. There are times, though, when having ingested more than my
share of ganja, that The Cramps win hands down. :)

Peace,
Javacrucian

--
"Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand; ignorance and
prejudice and fear walk hand in hand" -- RUSH

Larry Flanigan

Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99

Without a doubt, the greatest lyric writer of all time is Bob Hopp. :)

Rob

Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99

>I am a proud and true blue Australian...BUT if you want to know >where
Australia is....Europe is NOT the place to look...so much >for your worldy
views. Check your bloody atlas before you rip >strips of someone else for
their minor over sight.

joke n. 1. Something said or done to amuse; esp., a funny story. 2.
Something said or done in fun rather than in earnest.

I might be going out on a limb but............................I think he was
joking.

Rob.C. (also part of the Commonwealth)

skai

Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
Larry Flanigan wrote in message ...

>Without a doubt, the greatest lyric writer of all time is Bob Hopp. :)

Ain't that the truth!
When's his next one coming out anyhow?

--
"We will slime our horns