Top 5 Genesis songs

Ian Schneider

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
datas...@aol.com (Datastorm2) wrote:

>I am also kind of partial to more recent Genesis tunes, so here is my
>list...
>1. Domino (Just love the buildup to the Last Domino)
>2. Home by the Sea (Great, I love the ambiguity in the lyrics)
>3. Dream while you Sleep (Reminds me of In the Air Tonight a little)
>4. Tonight,Tonight,Tonight (Great...reminds of me of nights hanging in the
>city)
>5. In the Cage (Great older tune,I love the live versions too!)

1) Supper's Ready (Seconds Out)
2) Mad Man Moon
3) Behind The Lines/Duchess
4) One For The Vine
5) Turn It On Again

C. Currie

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
1. Carpet Crawlers
2. Firth Of Fifth
3. The Cinema Show
4. Supper's Ready
5. Eleventh Earl Of Mar

(this will probably change within a 24-hour period)

The Christopher Currie

Datastorm2

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96

Iain L M Hotchkies

Feb 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/10/96
1. The Chamber of 32 Doors
2. Cinema Show (Seconds Out)
3. Fountain of Salmacis
4. The Lamia
5. Anyway

--
Iain Hotchkies MBChB

ambition: polymath
currently: jack of all trades
corollary: master of none

Ron Katzir

Feb 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/10/96
1. Back in NYC
2. Supper's Ready (Foxtrot version)
3. Afterglow (Three Sides Live version)
4. In the Cage (Lamb version)
5. Cinema Show (Seconds Out version)

Sheldon Levin

Feb 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/11/96
It's hard to narrow this down to just 5 songs, but here goes:

1. The Knife
2. The Musical Box
3. Supper's Ready
4. Cinema Show
5. Firth of Fifth

Chuck Boening

Feb 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/11/96
I hate to list my top 5 favorites, since it changes from minute to minute,
but I can't resist.

1.Supper's Ready (Either version)
2.The Colony of Slippermen
3.Riding the Scree (long live the second disc)
4.Hairless Heart
5.Duchess (Three Sides Live)
300 tied at #6.

Chuck

Jeremy E Collins

Feb 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/11/96
In article <4f8v8p$m...@news.bu.edu> mker...@bu.edu (Michael Kerwick) writes:
>Hey,
> I'm just curious to find out what everyone's top 5 Genesis songs look
>like. Here's mine, but bear in mind I am partial to the more recent Genesis
>albums.
> 1. No Son of Mine-- Just a great song.
ick. gross. Top40 cheese trash. they sound like they
were bored, needed a song, and they picked this one outta the trash.

> 2. That's All-- A classic Genesis track.
Ill give ya that one.

> 3. Land of Confusion-- The video adds a lot to this one
au contraire, the video bites. too stupid fer
words, too dated to be a classic.

> 4. Living Forever-- It kind of grows on you.
Ill admit it grows on you... probably the best
track on WCD, if youcan say WCD has any good tracks...

> 5. Since I Lost You ... *wretch*

> 5. Turn it on Again--Couldn't decide which of the final two
> were better. They're totally different
> songs, both equally good.
Okay, TIOA is a great song, tho it is post-Hackett pop...
it seems to have gained anthem status with the band, a great crowd-mover
with a good groove to it... as long as Phil never does that STUPID medley
with it, anyway...

> Well, let me know.
> --Mike

Well, Mike, i must applaud you for putting yerself on the line with yer
picks there... i'm gonna do the same myself... and while i dont know you
or your experience with Genesis music very well, i strongly recommend you
to try the older stuff... 1978 and back. I started with Invisible Touch,
and have gone back to get everything (everything reasonably obtainable,
anyway...). Personally, i think Trick of the Tail is the best album they
ever did, but thats just me. The Gabriel stuff is, of course, legendary
and for good reason... check out Selling England By The Pound, Nursery
Cryme, and Foxtrot... and if you've been paying attention to the recent
posts, take ppl's advice and check out the 1973 Live album. Wonderful
piece indeed.
Dont mean to offend you with my comments, but Mike my friend, theres much
better stuff to like by Genesis. As a friend once told me, "the deeper
you dive, the more treasures you find."
My Top 5 Genesis Picks, In No Particular Order:

1. Ripples. By far the best mellow stoner tune. even sober, this tune
probably tops the rest in terms of composition and technical work.
2. You Might Recall. This is one of the studio tracks from Three Sides
Live (and i swear to God i found it on a US version, contrary to the
latest debate on the location of Paperlate)... anyway, while this may not
be a great prog-rock song in the traditional sense, it was written during
Phil's majorly unhappy breakup with his wife... most of the tunes he
wrote around this time are similar in terms of depth and sorrow in the
"bitch just dumped me" type of songs (which i am partial to, dont ask why).
3. Entangled. Also from Trick, this is a great acoustic song, with
imaginative lyrics and a great jam-sounding buildup in the middle.
Wonderful while stoned, but again great when sober.
4. Horizons / instrumental bit from In The Cage (at the end). These two
bits are very short, barely audible sometimes, but both are excellent
examples of ambient composition that is frequently overlooked in Genesis
tunes. The world would be a better place if Genesis did a complete
ambient album, kinda like the Cocteau Twins did with Victorialand (which
you should check out, just on general principles).
5. Blood on the Rooftops. This is an incredible song, but im not real
solid on its #5 slot here. Problem is, there are SOOO many good Genesis
tunes, its hard to rank them. The above three and my personal faves
tho... maybe not better than anyone else's, but i urge all of you who
havent heard them to check them out, and those of you who didnt like the
the first time to reconsider them... tho its hard to imagine any Genesis
fan not liking any of theyre stuff.. (okay, im sorry, i HATE Whodunnit...)
Anyway, thats my two cents.
Beaker, DJ and Local Genesis Guru

Scott Kuntze

Feb 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/11/96

Chuck Boening (mboe...@dbtech.net) writes:
> I hate to list my top 5 favorites, since it changes from minute to minute,
> but I can't resist.

Ditto:

1. One For the Vine (4SL)
2. Fountain of Salmacis (4SL)
3. Firth of Fifth (SO)
4. The Lamia
5. Blood On the Rooftops

The only five song which I CAN'T listen to are as follows:

1. Since I Lost You
2. Me and Virgil
3. Misunderstanding
4. Alone Tonight
5. I Can't Dance

As far as I'm concerned these last five songs should never have made it to
vinyl or silicon; Who Dunnit's fine with me, however.

--
///\\\ <><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ///\\\ <><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ///\\\
\\\/// Scott Kuntze \\\/// Ottawa, Ontario \\\///

Big Mac

Feb 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/11/96
My Top 5 Genesis songs are (at this moment):
1. Mama
2. Home by the Sea (Live)
3. Duchess
4. Land of Confusion
5. Ripples

I know that most of you like Peter Gabriel, but I must say that I enjoy
Phil Collins much more as singer of Genesis, and I am sad to read that he
is no longer going to be a part of Genesis. I hope his future solo work
is good, as his earlier solowork was much better than his last attempt of
an album (Both Sides).
Big Mac

sha...@cyberenet.net

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
1. Mama
2. In The Cage (especially live)
3. Snowbound
4. Turn it on Again
5. Heathaze

Or maybe not. Forget, this question is too hard for me.

Chris Hughes TX/FA

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
1. The Lamia
2. Looking For Someone
3. The Battle of Epping Forest
4. Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers...
5. Can-Utility and The Coastliners

Not necessarily in that order, and it changes everyday...

C. Currie

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
Jeremy E Collins <j...@kepler.unh.edu> wrote:
>In article <4f8v8p$m...@news.bu.edu> mker...@bu.edu (Michael Kerwick) writes:

>> 1. No Son of Mine-- Just a great song.
> ick. gross. Top40 cheese trash. they sound like they
>were bored, needed a song, and they picked this one outta the trash.

Actually, I'd be willing to defend "No Son Of Mine" as a decent track.
Especially the album version, with the interesting percussion additions.
It was far and away the best single from the album, in any event -- a
much darker mood (I'm talking about the music, not the lyrics) than the
others.

>> 2. That's All-- A classic Genesis track.
> Ill give ya that one.

Classic, no. Decent pop, yes.

>> 3. Land of Confusion-- The video adds a lot to this one
> au contraire, the video bites. too stupid fer
>words, too dated to be a classic.

The video was good for its time. The song ... well, its nothing special,
but it was my favourite song when I was 12, so I can't be too hard on it
now. :)

>> 4. Living Forever-- It kind of grows on you.
> Ill admit it grows on you... probably the best
>track on WCD, if youcan say WCD has any good tracks...

It's okay. Again, nothing special.

>> 5. Since I Lost You ... *wretch*

One of the most forgettable things they ever came up with.

>> 5. Turn it on Again--Couldn't decide which of the final two
>> were better. They're totally different
>> songs, both equally good.
> Okay, TIOA is a great song, tho it is post-Hackett pop...

I think a lot of people here like it just because it has a time change.
:) But seriously, this is a good slice of post-Gabriel Genesis. If this
were still "the commercial side" of the group, we'd have nothing to
complain about.

>Dont mean to offend you with my comments, but Mike my friend, theres much
>better stuff to like by Genesis. As a friend once told me, "the deeper
>you dive, the more treasures you find."

True enough. But don't think of this as an insult your tastes -- go back
and your tastes will develop. And then go into King Crimson. And then
jazz-fusion. And then 20th century classical. Then, listen to whatever
you want. :)

>My Top 5 Genesis Picks, In No Particular Order:
>
>1. Ripples. By far the best mellow stoner tune. even sober, this tune
>probably tops the rest in terms of composition and technical work.

It took me a while to get into this one -- at this point, though, I love
the instrumental section. The song itself, though, seems to be a case of
the form which they used in its creation defining the content -- not
that's necessarily a bad thing, but if done wrongly, it can give songs
like this a "workmanlike" air. I like the song, though it wouldn't be
this high on my subjective list. Even on ATOTT, I'd put "Volcano",
"Entangled", "MMM", "Los Endos" ahead of it, and "Squonk" and the title
track tied with it. Of course, I like all of those songs, so that
shouldn't be taken as an insult.

>2. You Might Recall. This is one of the studio tracks from Three Sides
>Live (and i swear to God i found it on a US version, contrary to the
>latest debate on the location of Paperlate)... anyway, while this may not
>be a great prog-rock song in the traditional sense, it was written during
>Phil's majorly unhappy breakup with his wife.

Are you sure Phil wrote the lyrics? I can't remember, but it might have
been Tony.

By the way, the *old*, non-remastered version of 3SL has the studio
tracks on it on the American version (for the millionth time).

>3. Entangled. Also from Trick, this is a great acoustic song, with
>imaginative lyrics and a great jam-sounding buildup in the middle.
>Wonderful while stoned, but again great when sober.

Well, I wouldn't know about that last part. I do know it sounds
wonderful when I'm half-asleep, so maybe that's a similar feeling. A
great track, though.

>4. Horizons / instrumental bit from In The Cage (at the end). These two
>bits are very short, barely audible sometimes, but both are excellent
>examples of ambient composition that is frequently overlooked in Genesis
>tunes. The world would be a better place if Genesis did a complete
>ambient album, kinda like the Cocteau Twins did with Victorialand (which
>you should check out, just on general principles).

Agreed, _Victorialand_ is an incredible work (not proggish and not
Genesisish, but good nonetheless).

Was Eno responsible for the "In The Cage" ending?

>5. Blood on the Rooftops. This is an incredible song, but im not real
>solid on its #5 slot here.

IMO, the second best track on W&W, after "Eleventh Earl" (I'm interested
in Scottish history, so sue me)

The Christopher Currie

Christian Wetzel

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
My favourites are:

1. In the Cage/Cinema show/Slipperman/Afterglow (Three Sides Live)
2. The Carpet Crawl
3. Mama
4. One for the Vine
5. Dancing with the Moonlit Knight

But (and that's why I like the "early" albums*) most of all, I listen
to the albums as a whole, without "cutting out" single songs in my mind.
So I have to say that "The Lamb", "Wind and Wuthering" and "Selling England
by the Pound" are my all time favourites.

*: instead of the "newer" albums, which are collections of songs. But I didn't
want to start another debate about this...

Christian

--
Christian Wetzel cnwe...@linguistik.uni-erlangen.de
cnwe...@cip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

"Bei Ford gibt es Individualitaet jetzt serienmaessig." (TV-Werbung)

Ian Schneider

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
cj...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Scott Kuntze) wrote:

>The only five song which I CAN'T listen to are as follows:

>1. Since I Lost You
>2. Me and Virgil
>3. Misunderstanding
>4. Alone Tonight
>5. I Can't Dance

>As far as I'm concerned these last five songs should never have made it to
>vinyl or silicon; Who Dunnit's fine with me, however.

Interesting, songs 1, 3, and 4 are all rare Genesis songs in triple
time, except the chorus of 4, which is in 4/4. Phil has never
recorded a waltz, unless you count his playing Irving Berlin's
"Always" in concert in 1990. But it's a good point---they don't seem
to play naturally in waltz (triple) time.

Giovanni Silvestri

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
1. The Musical Box
2. Dance With The Moonlight Knight
3. The Cinema Show
4. Back In NYC
5. White Mountain

Giovanni.

fast...@soho.ios.com

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
My 5 Today?

1. In The Wilderness
2. Get 'em Out By Friday
3. I Know What I Like
4. Back in NYC
5. Watcher of the Skies

Robert J. Baker

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
On 7 Feb 1996 01:28:57 GMT, mker...@bu.edu (Michael Kerwick) wrote:

> I'm just curious to find out what everyone's top 5 Genesis songs

My five for the vine, as it were, are:

1. One for the Vine
Being also a coaster fan, the Moebius structure of the lyric always reminds
me of the Grand National at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
2. Supper's Ready
In "Willow Farm" is Peter Gabriel doing a Viv Stanshall (Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah
Band) impression?
3. Dance on a Volcano
The rest of that album is also brilliant.
4. Blood on the Rooftops
Ditto.
5. Time Table

My least favourite five (although still good) are, in no particular order:

1. Get 'em Out by Friday
2. The Battle of Epping Forest
It commits the all-too-common sin of glamorising crime -- "Christian
soldiers" indeed! -- which Western author Jack Shaeffer called "gilding the
stinkweed".
3. Harold the Barrel
4. Mama
5. Can-Utility and the Coastliners

By the way, what on earth *does* "and the changes of no consequence will
pick up the reins from nowhere" mean???

Regards, ROBERT.BAK
snail-mail: Robert J. Baker, 32a Hetherington Road, London, SW4 7NX

krowley

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
Okay, I'll stop lurking and join in...

1. Driving the Last Spike
2. Home by the Sea/Second Home by the Sea
3. Domino
4. the Carpet Crawlers
5. Visions of Angels

Honorable mentions: Silver Rainbow, Invisible Touch (and I apologize to
no one), Watcher of the Skies, Old Medley, and almost all of Duke.

I guess that about covers it. I could care less if you hate my picks.

Ian Schneider

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
u920...@muss.cis.McMaster.CA (C. Currie) wrote:

>Jeremy E Collins <j...@kepler.unh.edu> wrote:
5. Turn it on Again--Couldn't decide which of the final two
>>> were better. They're totally different
>>> songs, both equally good.
>> Okay, TIOA is a great song, tho it is post-Hackett pop...

>I think a lot of people here like it just because it has a time change.

>The Christopher Currie

TIOA has neither time signature nor tempo changes, live or studio.
The time signature is 13/4, and depending on the performance, the
tempo is a steady 132 beats per minute. Time changes are
syncopations, not changes.

Ian

krowley

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96

> What is Visions of angels?

Off thier second album.

Christopher Norman

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
"Robert J. Baker" <rba...@indy.legend.co.uk> wrote:
>On 7 Feb 1996 01:28:57 GMT, mker...@bu.edu (Michael Kerwick) wrote:
>

>My least favourite five (although still good) are, in no particular order:
>
>1. Get 'em Out by Friday

It IS a bit awkwardly put together, but the middle section with the
flute and mellotron is lovely.

>2. The Battle of Epping Forest
> It commits the all-too-common sin of glamorising crime -- "Christian
> soldiers" indeed! -- which Western author Jack Shaeffer called "gilding the
> stinkweed".

Umm...ever heard of something called "irony"? It's a very obscure
literary device that Gabriel probably picked up in that snooty
Charterhouse school.

And even if you didn't like the lyrics, how does that invalidate the
quality of the music? I think the lyrics to "The Lady Lies" are
crap, but I still enjoy the tune.

>3. Harold the Barrel

To each his own; I like the way this song veers back and forth
without settling down, but I can understand why someone wouldn't
enjoy it.

>4. Mama
>5. Can-Utility and the Coastliners

I don't see what's wrong with these, however. "Can-Utility" is
routinely nominated in those "underrated songs" threads, and I
think "Mama" is one of the highlights of the later Genesis.
Care to elaborate your feelings on these two songs?
(Besides, didn't you just say that everything on _Foxtrot_ was
brilliant?)

peec...@argonet.co.uk

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
> OK, here's mine.
> 1) Hold On My Heart
> 2) Alone Tonight
> 3) In Too Deep
> 4) Taking It All Too Hard
> 5) Since I Lost You

Are you taking the piss? In case not, no offence intended!!

C. Currie

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
In article <31229f83...@news.vnet.net>, John Johnsen <j...@vnet.net> wrote:

> What is Visions of angels?

"Visions Of Angels" is track No.3 on the _Trespass_ album. It's Anthony
Phillip's ballad of unrequited love for the woman who later became Jill
Gabriel (with Peter singing, of course).

The Christopher Currie

RICHARD JAMES GILLIES

Feb 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/16/96

> can someone tell me which album 'the lamia ' comes from,please

thanx in advance

rgil...@coventry.ac.uk

Michael Pratt

Feb 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/16/96
Well for me its....

1 Fly on a windsheild (cos of dem bossom tones)
2 Can-Utilty and the Coastliners (for the instrumental section)
3 Return of the Giant Hogweed (for that clack thing at the end)
4 Watcher of the skies (for mellotron)
5 Cinema Show (live versions only) (for always making me cry)

Michael Pratt

David Way

Feb 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/16/96

Here's my top five:

1. Supper's Ready
2. Fly on a Windshield/Broadway Melody of 1974 (one track IMO)
3. Down & Out
4. Firth of Fifth
5. Stagnation

Although it changes regularly depnding on my mood!
---
* David Way, Bournemouth, England. da...@domino.win-uk.net *
* "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity" *
************* PGP Public Key Available on Request *************

Jani Hakkarainen

Feb 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/16/96

My top 5

1.Firth of fifth
2.The musical box
3.Abacab live version
4.Driving the last spike
5.Me and Sarah Jane

Jani

Rick McCormick

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
I beg to differ Phil has recorded several waltz's but as you say
Genesis does not lend itself to off offbeat.Phil played several
albums with Brand X on which he recorded Euthanasia Waltz so know
your facts before you start to bash PHIL. I will join you in the
bashing but not on this point.
nektaro...@msn.com

Rick McCormick

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
The top five are tough but in no particular order are

1 ROBERY , ASSAULT AND BATTERY
2 RIPPLES
3 YOUR OWN SPECIAL WAY
4 RETURN OF THE GIANT HOGWEED
5 #1#1#1 SUPPER'S READY

the list should have been 10 at least since their discography is so intense.

Ian Schneider

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
Nektaro...@msn.com (Rick McCormick) wrote:

I was not trying to bash Phil at all. It so happens that since the
60's over 95% of popular music is essentially in 4/4 time, and Genesis
really hasn't gotten into waltzes. I'm not the one trashing "Since I
Lost You," in fact I like it. Entangled, Dukes Travels/Duke's End are
great work in triple time. I often think that they would want to play
more in triple time, but it's simply not popular. Ultimately, Phil
will wind up some Broadway singer/Frank Sinatra type, and probably be
around til we all die, and I predict in the future he will play more
waltzes.

Ian

Jim Lindsay ii

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
"Robert J. Baker" <rba...@indy.legend.co.uk> wrote:

>My least favourite five (although still good) are, in no particular
order:

>1. Get 'em Out by Friday

>2. The Battle of Epping Forest
> It commits the all-too-common sin of glamorising crime --
"Christian
> soldiers" indeed! -- which Western author Jack Shaeffer called
"gilding the
> stinkweed".

>3. Harold the Barrel

>4. Mama
>5. Can-Utility and the Coastliners

Amazing. Can-utility is wonderful in most folk's opinions. Can you put
into words what you don't like about it?

>By the way, what on earth *does* "and the changes of no consequence
will
>pick up the reins from nowhere" mean???
>
>Regards, ROBERT.BAK

It sounds to me like it means the changes that are thought to be
inconsequential will surpise us by determining the future. Little
nothings control destiny. Something like that.
-
JIM LINDSAY II ZBU...@prodigy.com

Tom-Robin Koepf

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
Is there any use to say this is the best song ??? Aren't they all in some
matter excellent ? In my opinion it depends strongly on my personal
mood, which song gives me the most satisfaction.

TOM-ROBIN KOEPF ko...@chemie.uni-oldenburg.de
0441248...@T-ONLINE.DE
Yet IT fills everything with its mysterious
intoxicating presence. IT's over to you.
------->Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway<---------

Chuck Boening

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
"The Lamia" is on the second disc (album?) of The Lamb.

Chuck

David Way

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.960216122702.26080C-100000@leofric>, RICHARD
JAMES GILLIES <rgil...@coventry.ac.uk> wrote:

>> can someone tell me which album 'the lamia ' comes from,please
>thanx in advance

It's on The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway...

Iain L M Hotchkies

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
In message <3126AE...@chemie.uni-oldenburg.de> Tom-Robin Koepf wrote:

> Aren't they all in some matter excellent ?

Erm... no, they are not ALL excellent, not in any way.

Some Genesis songs are worse than horse manure.
OTOH, some are indescribably wonderful.

Challenge:

Does anyone subscribing to this group like
"Snowman" from "and then there were three" ???

This, IMHO, is utter, utter, utter shite.

Iain L M Hotchkies

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96

And your definition of 'intense' is... what?

"of great strength and/or deeply emotional"?

I know what you mean, though.

C. Currie

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
Iain L M Hotchkies <ia...@hotch.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Does anyone subscribing to this group like
>"Snowman" from "and then there were three" ???

>This, IMHO, is utter, utter, utter shite.

Well, I'll step up to differ. I've always liked this song (which is
called "Snowbound", by the way). It's written very much in an Anthony
Phillips style, probably due to the fact that Rutherford was working with
Phillips at that point.

I suspect that most people who liked _The Geese And The Ghost_ like this
song as well.

The Christopher Currie

Ron Katzir

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
Christopher Norman <cano...@unixg.ubc.ca> wrote:

>And even if you didn't like the lyrics, how does that invalidate the
>quality of the music? I think the lyrics to "The Lady Lies" are
>crap, but I still enjoy the tune.

They _are not_... It has the same kind of "twisted relationship"
feeling to it as Mama and The Musical Box. It's a great song.

Iain L M Hotchkies

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
In message <4g80jj$i...@muss.CIS.McMaster.CA> C. Currie wrote:

> Iain L M Hotchkies <ia...@hotch.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone subscribing to this group like
> >"Snowman" from "and then there were three" ???
>
> >This, IMHO, is utter, utter, utter shite.

> Well, I'll step up to differ. I've always liked this song (which is
> called "Snowbound", by the way). It's written very much in an Anthony

You're quite right. I must have blocked out the name, for reasons
unknown ;-)

> Phillips style, probably due to the fact that Rutherford was working with
> Phillips at that point.

Hmmmm, maybe, but 'The Geese And The Ghost' is miles better than
Snowbound. Dreadful song.

> I suspect that most people who liked _The Geese And The Ghost_ like this
> song as well.

Out of interest, where would you rank Snowbound in the canon, then?
I'm not sure how many Genesis songs there are. 125-150 maybe.
Doesn't matter. Where would you put Snowbound? Top 10%, bottom 10%,
somewhere in the middle?

If it's not right down there in the pit of the worst Genesis songs,
then which ones would you place below it?

Jonathan Byrne

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
OK, I'll bite. My top 5:

1. Supper's Ready (Seconds Out version)
2. Musical Box
3. Firth of Fifth
4. Entangled
5. IT
"Ignorance has always been Jonathan Byrne
Something I excel in West Virginia University
Followed by naivete and pride." rr...@wvnvm.wvnet.edu
-Adiran Belew, "Dinosaur", King Crimson

Michael

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
In article <19960218....@hotch.hotch.demon.co.uk>,
ia...@hotch.demon.co.uk (Iain L M Hotchkies) writes:

>Challenge:

>Does anyone subscribing to this group like
>"Snowman" from "and then there were three" ???
>
>This, IMHO, is utter, utter, utter shite.

I just put it in my top 5 post-Hackett list!!

If there's anything I've learned from this ng, it's that you can always
find *someone* who likes a Genesis song, no matter how generally well-
hated by the rest. And I've seen Snowbound pop up on other lists
beside my own...love the synth at the end of that one. Easily my
favorite off of ATTWT.
Michael

David Way

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96

ia...@hotch.demon.co.uk (Iain L M Hotchkies) wrote:

>Some Genesis songs are worse than horse manure.

>Does anyone subscribing to this group like
>"Snowman" from "and then there were three" ???

Yes.

>This, IMHO, is utter, utter, utter shite.

And as you say, it's your opinion.

James Harper

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
I'm not afraid to place Snowbound one cut above Whodunnit which sits

squarely on the basement concrete. What they needed was to replace these
songs

with something of quality like Evidence of Autumn and/or Open Door.

C. Currie

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
And before that I (Christopher Currie) wrote:

>> I suspect that most people who liked _The Geese And The Ghost_ like this
>> song as well.

>Out of interest, where would you rank Snowbound in the canon, then?
>I'm not sure how many Genesis songs there are. 125-150 maybe.

Hmm ... to be honest, I've never thought of arranging every Genesis song
in my precise order of preference. I'm not even going to wager a guess
at the precise number.

>Doesn't matter. Where would you put Snowbound? Top 10%, bottom 10%,
>somewhere in the middle?

I'll take door #3.

>If it's not right down there in the pit of the worst Genesis songs,
>then which ones would you place below it?

Okay, let's see...

On ATTWT alone,

Ballad Of Big
Many Too Many
Deep In The Motherlode
maybe Follow You Follow Me

pre-ATTWT:

More Fool Me
Robbery, Assault & Battery
Your Own Special Way
Pigeons
Match Of The Day

post-ATTWT:

a lot

The Christopher Currie

sha...@cyberenet.net

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
u920...@muss.cis.McMaster.CA (C. Currie) wrote:

>Iain L M Hotchkies <ia...@hotch.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>Does anyone subscribing to this group like
>>"Snowman" from "and then there were three" ???

>>This, IMHO, is utter, utter, utter shite.

>Well, I'll step up to differ. I've always liked this song (which is

>called "Snowbound", by the way). It's written very much in an Anthony

>Phillips style, probably due to the fact that Rutherford was working with
>Phillips at that point.

>I suspect that most people who liked _The Geese And The Ghost_ like this
>song as well.

>The Christopher Currie

I've gotta answer this one. I wholeheartedly disagree with you on
this one (Ian, I mean, not Christopher). Earlier in this thread I
listed Snowbound as my #3 favorite song (bearing in mind that, like
most people on this group, my favorites tend to vary). I've never
quite been sure exactly what it's about, but it has unusual sound to
it that seems rather unlike the rest of their work. I don't really
know much about song composition or the technical aspects of music, so
maybe someone else out there can tell me something more about this
song or give their interpretation of the lyrics). All I can say is
that I think this is a strange and beautiful song

By the way, I'm not really familiar with Anthony Phillips' solo work.
What is "The Geese and the Ghost", and in what way is it similar to
Snowbound?

Dave

THE CARPET CRAWLERS

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
My top 5 are, in no particular order:

1) Carpet Crawlers (from Seconds Out)

I don't know why, but this song is by far my favorite. It creates an
awesome atmosphere.

2) Follow You, Follow Me

An incredible ballad, simply put, either live or studio.

3) Open Door

Another incredible ballad.

4) Duchess (from Three Sides Live)

Don't know, just like it.

5) Guide Vocal

Very short, but for some reason very powerful too.

There are many others, but those really stand out.

In terms of albums, I like all of Duke, 3SL, and Seconds Out.

- Tom N.

Chris Czaplicki

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
to j...@kepler.unh.edu
Ok. I've been an avid genesis fan for a couple years, and like someone
else that posted, I started with the Invisible touch CD, and moved back
in time. Here's my top 5 songs:

1. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (It just gives an awesome feeling)
2. Invisible Touch (obviously, it's THEIR best song)
3. A Trick of the Tail/Ripples (The first is Really catchy)
4. In the Cage
5. That's All

Also, I've got so many favorites that were never charted. Obviously,
there should have been others that should of been in the Hot 100, such as
Duchess and almost everything from "A Trick of the Tail". How about
Phil Collins, what's your favorite songs from him? And what's your
expectations and the next album? E-Mail Me back!

C. Currie

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
In article <4gb3dv$2...@news.cyberenet.net>, <sha...@cyberenet.net> wrote:

>What is "The Geese and the Ghost", and in what way is it similar to
>Snowbound?

It's Anthony Phillips' first solo album, featuring guest appearances from
Mike, Phil & John Hackett. The similarity is in the approach to
composition -- ie. unapologetic avoidance of dissonant features in the
composition. I wouldn't want all of my music to be like this, but in
certain quantities, it isn't bad.

The Christopher Currie

Jeff B.

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
In no particular order, and valid only until midnite:

1/ Can-Utility and the Coastliners [Foxtrot]
2/ Cinema Show [Selling England...]
3/ Supper's Ready [Foxtrot]
4/ The Conquerer [Genesis to Revelation]
5/ Looking for Someone [Trespass]

An earlier post said that the list had to be at least 10 songs. I agree.
There's just SO MUCH great music!

--
J. Bosch/FOIA & PA Researcher
Federal Information Research Services Team: FI...@snni.com

Jim Audas

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
Just found this bbs and thought I'd give it a go with my 5 favorites.
In no particular order:

Firth of Fifth
Battle of Epping Forrest
Suppers Ready
Eleventh Earl of Mar
Cinema Show

You can probably tell by my list that my favorite album is Selling
England by the Pound.

As far as some stinkers that make me cringe:

Thats All
Illegal Alien
Invisible Touch

Joseph B McGlinchey

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
1) Stagnation

Hands down my favorite Genesis song...

2) Afterglow

Sweet 'n' sad sounding!

3) Dance on a Volcano

Of course...

4) Dancing with the Moonlit Knight

5) The Musical Box

RE: The Snowbound thread

There is no way in hell that Snowbound is even NEAR the bottom of
Genesis' songs...I can think of a lot of stuff they did (admittedly, most
of it post-Duke) that was worse...

Joe McGlinchey
Teachers College
Columbia University

Jeff B.

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
In article <4gb3dv$2...@news.cyberenet.net>, sha...@cyberenet.net wrote:

> By the way, I'm not really familiar with Anthony Phillips' solo work.

> What is "The Geese and the Ghost", and in what way is it similar to
> Snowbound?
>

> Dave

Geese and the Ghost is Ant's first solo album, which features Mike
Rutherford, Phil Collins and Sally Oldfield. His albums are usually
filled with 12-string, keyboards, etc., in either a classical or
progressive rock style. A lot of the earlier Genesis can still be heard
in his music. After he left Genesis, he went back to music school so that
he could learn how to REALLY play. Each of his albums is totally
different, but I think each one is great. For someone starting out on his
music, I would suggest the following albums:

Geese and Ghost
Sides
Wise After the Event
Fingerpaintings

Enjoy!!!

Alan Greig

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
> "Robert J. Baker" <rba...@indy.legend.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>My least favourite five (although still good) are, in no particular
> order:

>>2. The Battle of Epping Forest

>> It commits the all-too-common sin of glamorising crime --
> "Christian
>> soldiers" indeed! -- which Western author Jack Shaeffer called
> "gilding the stinkweed."

Aren't you missing the whole point of the song? "There's no one
left alive. It must be a draw."
--
Alan Greig Tel: (01382) 308802
University of Abertay Dundee Email: A.G...@tay.ac.uk

Steven Sullivan

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
Alan Greig (agr...@river.tay.ac.uk) wrote:

: > "Robert J. Baker" <rba...@indy.legend.co.uk> wrote:
: >
: >>My least favourite five (although still good) are, in no particular
: > order:

: >>2. The Battle of Epping Forest
: >> It commits the all-too-common sin of glamorising crime --
: > "Christian
: >> soldiers" indeed! -- which Western author Jack Shaeffer called
: > "gilding the stinkweed."

: Aren't you missing the whole point of the song? "There's no one
: left alive. It must be a draw."

Indeed. The song is based on a news article about warring gangs in
England. The lyrical take is sarcastic and cynical, not glamorizing. I
don't think Mr. Baker got that.

Todd Zadow

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
mpr...@cix.compulink.co.uk ("Michael Pratt") said something like this:

>Well for me its....

>1 Fly on a windsheild (cos of dem bossom tones)
>2 Can-Utilty and the Coastliners (for the instrumental section)
>3 Return of the Giant Hogweed (for that clack thing at the end)
>4 Watcher of the skies (for mellotron)
>5 Cinema Show (live versions only) (for always making me cry)

>Michael Pratt

Of all the top five lists out there, I'd probably have to say this one
is the best one...at least, in my opinion. But I think I'd have to
throw Supper's Ready in place of Return of the Giant Hogweed, and the
live version of the Knife instead of Cinema Show.

It's so hard to narrow it down to just 5 songs, you know?

GESM

Todd Zadow -- The Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man ( or just GESM )
trz2...@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu -- email
http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~trz28923 -- homepage
advertising (ad'ver-tî'zing) n. The science of arresting human
intelligence long enough to get money from it.

Phil Morris

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96

> song or give their interpretation of the lyrics). All I can say is
> that I think this is a strange and beautiful song

You took the words right out of my mouth - it would definitely be in my
top 10 list of favourite Genesis pieces. :-)

Phil

Michael Pratt

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
Well, seven is a perfect number and to add your two would make a perfect
"Best of Seven" . Thanks for the comment.

Michael Pratt

Toli Vavaskos

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96
OK here are mine:

1.Supper's Ready
2.The Musical Box
3.Firth of Fifth
4.One for the Vine
5.In the Cage

HA Sinclair

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96
Jim Lindsay ii (ZBU...@prodigy.com) wrote:
[...]

: -
: JIM LINDSAY II ZBU...@prodigy.com

In Case you're interested my top 5 (Not in order as I cannot decide
which should go top although the Knife is one of the best and most
inspiring songs ever (Ant plays the solo so well it sends shiver's down my
spine and Tony Bank's Organ playing is wonderful)

1. The Knife
2. Supper's Ready (Especially Willow Farm and Apocalypse in 9/8)
3. Musical Box
4. Mad Man Moon
5. Fountain of Salmacis

(Five is a bit of a resticting number and many more could be added such as
Chamber of 32 doors, Ripples, Anyway, It etc)

Howard Sinclair hs5...@bristol.ac.uk

RickM1962

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96
My turn. List changes from day to day, so I won't number them, and no
inferences should be made. Gabriel era:

Supper's Ready (only when Gabriel sings it)
The Cinema Show/Aisle of Plenty (about as perfect a way to end an album as
exists)
anything from Nursery Cryme (not a clinker on it, and yes, I'm counting
For Absent Friends and Harold The Barrel)
side three of The Lamb (should we consider The Lamb as one four-sided
opus, do you think? A claim could be made, q.v., rock opera and all that.)

post-Gabriel w/ Hackett:
Eleventh Earl of Mar
Entangled
Squonk
Unquiet Slumbers straight through to Afterglow

post-Hackett:
Burning Rope
Follow You, Follow Me (for sentimental reasons)
the Duke suite
Abacab (a revelation when I first heard it)
Dodo/Lurker
Fading Lights

...except that the sound of Collins' voice these days makes me cringe.

Ta, cheers, thanks a lot.

Rick

William Cleere

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96

> In article <19960218....@hotch.hotch.demon.co.uk>,
> ia...@hotch.demon.co.uk (Iain L M Hotchkies) writes:
>
> >Challenge:

> >Does anyone subscribing to this group like
> >"Snowman" from "and then there were three" ???
> >
> >This, IMHO, is utter, utter, utter shite.
>

> I just put it in my top 5 post-Hackett list!!
>
> If there's anything I've learned from this ng, it's that you can always
> find *someone* who likes a Genesis song, no matter how generally well-
> hated by the rest. And I've seen Snowbound pop up on other lists
> beside my own...love the synth at the end of that one. Easily my
> favorite off of ATTWT.
> Michael

I think I posted it as one of the underated songs. If you buy We Know What We Like by the London Symphony Orchestra you get a whole new respect for the song. At least I did.

Ryan C.

Phil Morris

Feb 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/24/96

> Geese and the Ghost is Ant's first solo album, which features Mike
> Rutherford, Phil Collins and Sally Oldfield. His albums are usually

I notice that Sally Oldfield also sung on Steve Hackett's 'Voyage of the
Acolyte' and has her own albums.

Whatever became of her?

Phil

Unknown

Feb 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/26/96
wcl...@best.com (William Cleere) wrote:

>Ryan C.

This is one of my all time favorite songs. But I've got to be honest.
The version the London Symphony Orchestra performs on We Know What We
Like sounds like the theme song to "E.T." to me.

Dave
sha...@cyberenet.net

William Cleere

Feb 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/26/96

> This is one of my all time favorite songs. But I've got to be honest.
> The version the London Symphony Orchestra performs on We Know What We
> Like sounds like the theme song to "E.T." to me.
>
> Dave
> sha...@cyberenet.net

I didn't say I liked it. It just made me realize how beautiful the original song is.

Ryan C.

Unknown

Feb 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/28/96
wcl...@best.com (William Cleere) wrote:

>Ryan C.

I didn't say I don't like it either. Actually, some parts of the
symphony version sound really good, and add a new dimension to the
songs. Other parts, mainly the chorus, sound really bombastic, which,
come to think of it, is a pretty good description of the entire album.
At any rate, I meant what I said in a joking sort of way, and not to
criticize your observation.

Dave
sha...@cyberenet.net