FAQ [alt.music.enya] Frequently Asked Questions (Monthly Posting)

Kevin Martin

Jul 5, 2002, 12:56:05 PM7/5/02
Archive-name: music/enya-faq
Posting-frequency: monthly (first Friday)
Last-modified: 2002/07/05
Version: 94

Enya - Frequently Asked Questions Issue 94 5 July 2002
Current maintainer: Kevin Martin <can...@nic.com>
...with special thanks to the FAQ maintainer emeritus, Dave Allum.

PLEASE NOTE!
The answers in this FAQ were all contributed by third parties; I
have no special connection to Eithne Brennan, the Ryans, enya.com,
Warner/Reprise, or anyone else directly associated with "Enya".

I cannot forward mail or email to Miss Brennan, nor do I have
any mailing addresses for her (other than the ones listed below.
postings. To all of you: many thanks.

If you find any broken URLs, please let me know.

For those with World Wide Web browsers, a plaintext version of this FAQ
is available at:

http://brasscannon.org/Enya/

To avoid character set problems, accents are displayed below as
separate characters on their own lines. You may therefore wish
to view or print this document using a "fixed-pitch" font, such
as Courier.

FAQ ARCHIVE ============================================================

The most recently posted issue of this FAQ can also be obtained
in the following formats:

HTTP
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/music/enya-faq/

Anonymous FTP
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-group/news.answers/music/enya-faq

Email
Send a message to mail-...@rtfm.mit.edu with a blank subject line
and "send usenet-by-group/news.answers/music/enya-faq" (without the
quotes) as the only text in the body of the message.

QUESTIONS ==============================================================

* = New as of this issue
+ = Updated as of this issue

Background
----------
1.0 Is she single?
1.1 Is 'Enya' her real name?
1.2 When was she born, where does she come from, etc?
1.3 Was she ever a member of Clannad? Did she record with them?
1.4 And after Clannad?
1.5 What was her 'big break'?
1.6 I keep hearing that 'Enya' is three people. What does this mean?

Records, Videos, Songs, Etc.
----------------------------
2.1 What records and videos have been released?
2.2 Is there a more detailed discography available?
2.3 Are there any books of her music?
2.4 Some of her songs aren't in English. What other languages...?
2.5 Where can I get translations?
2.6 Was that Enya I heard, or was it someone else?
2.7 Apart from Clannad has she appeared on any other artists' records?
2.8 Is Storms In Africa (Part II) on _Watermark_ or not?
2.9 Can you tell which Book Of Days is on a copy of _Shepherd_Moons_?
2.10 When is her next album coming out?
2.11 Who is Ridley Scott and why is/was Aldebaran dedicated to him?
2.12 Who are Rob Dickins and Ross mentioned in Orinoco_Flow?
2.13 What do the Irish dedications mean?
2.14 The lyrics for Ebudae don't match what I'm hearing.
2.15 What other musicians have collaborated on her albums?
2.16 Who are Miss Clare and Miss Quinn?

Other Information, Clannad, Etc.
--------------------------------
3.1 Does she tour? (Maybe soon)
3.2 How many records has she sold?
3.3 Have any articles or interviews been transcribed?
3.4 Any news of Clannad and the rest of the family?
3.5 Are any Enya posters available?
3.6 What's her address? Is she on the Net?
3.7 Are there any fan clubs?

Miscellaneous
-------------

4.1 Are fonts of the "Enya" typefaces available?
4.2 Some say Enya sings in Irish, others say Gaelic?
4.3 Are there any Enya sound files available?
4.4 What other artists make music similar to Enya's?
4.5 What's this roses business all about?
4.6 I heard something terrible happened to Enya!
4.7 Other "Enyas"

Finding Out More
5.3 Where is all this information archived? What else is available?
5.4 I don't have access to FTP, WWW, etc. Can I get things by Email?
5.5 Which music papers or magazines have the best Enya coverage?

The Rest of Usenet
------------------
6.0 Why are the trolls picking on us?
6.1 What should I do about it?
6.2 Can I get some help doing that?
6.3 "I've got some binary files; should I post them?"

ANSWERS ================================================================

1.0 Is she single?

Yep. Never married, and of course no kids; but we hear she has
a longtime male companion. No further details. Sorry, guys.

1.1 Is 'Enya' her real name?
, ,
Her real name is Eithne Ni Bhraonain, an Irish name which
translates to Eithne Brennan in English.

It is pronounced 'Enya' and she chose to use this pseudo-phonetic
spelling professionally so that she could be known by her own name
but avoid the inevitable pronunciation problems. (Her full name is
pronounced, approximately, "ain-yeh nih vreenine.")

Enya's new websites (3.6) also point out that "Enya" is a trademark,
held jointly by Eithne and her long-time partners, Nicky and Roma
Ryan.

1.1.1 Was there an "Enya" in Irish mythology?

From Enya's appearance on the Rosie O'Donnell TV show, 12 Dec 1997:

ROSIE: ...and "Enya" is an Irish name? I never heard [of] it before
you.

ENYA: Where I was born was in the Gaeltact area in County Donegal
and Gaelic is my first language, so "Enya" is Gaelic but there's
a story behind it; there's a goddess in Irish mythology that was
known as "Enya".

ROSIE: And what was the myth about her?

ENYA: Oh, it wasn't so pleasant...

ROSIE: Oh, really?

ENYA: [starts laughing]

ROSIE: Was it that she had a beautiful spiritual voice and then,
you know...?

ENYA: No. It was actually she was not to marry because it was
destined that her husband would eventually kill her father. So
her father sent her away to this remote island but, alas, she
met somebody and it happened. It wasn't like he intended to kill
the father, but through battle or whatever, the father was killed
by her husband.

ROSIE: Did your father name you?

ENYA: No, it was my grandfather actually. [starts laughing]

ROSIE: All right, good enough because I would've thought, "That's
a lot of therapy bills right there!" Ya know!?

[This is a variation on the legend; most books on the subject say
it was Eithne's son, Lugh, who killed Balor, Eithne's father.]

1.2 When was she born, where does she come from, what's her background?

Eithne was born on May 17th 1961, the fourth youngest of nine
children:
, , ,
Maire (1952), Ciaran, Pol, Deirdre, Leon, Eithne (1961), Bartley,
Olive, and Bridin. She comes from the small village of Dore
(Dobhar in Irish) in the Gweedore (Gaoth Dobhair) region of County
Donegal in the northwest of the Republic of Ireland. She now lives
in Killiney, a coastal district on the southern outskirts of
Dublin, and in London.

We don't know what time of day she was born; the question has been
asked, but her mother doesn't recall or won't say.

The family is very musical and her parents played in a family
dance band before settling down. Her father Leo owns a local pub
- Leo's Tavern in Meenalech (Min na Leice) - and her mother Baba
taught music in the local school. "Baba" is a nickname -- Eithne's
,
mother, grandmother, and oldest sister are ALL named Maire.
,
If Maire were to follow Enya's lead and adopt a phonetic spelling
of her name, she would be known as "Moya."
, , , ,
In 1968 elder brothers Ciaran & Pol, and uncles Padraig & Noel O
, ,
Dugain, formed the band An Clann As Dobhair* to perform
traditional Irish music at festivals, etc.

*Pronounced "an Clannador" (approximately); "The Family from Dore"
,
Changing their name to Clannad, and recruiting sister Maire in
1973, the band have gone on to international success performing
both their own and traditional material. They have recorded a
number of albums.

1.3 Was she ever a member of Clannad? Did she record with them?

After leaving school she joined Clannad in 1980 and, credited
under her real name, provided keyboards and (mostly) backing
vocals. She appears without a credit on their 1980 album
_Crann_Ull_, and, properly credited, on _Fuaim_ (1982).

Mike Hoffman reports that Enya's first TV appearance was on
"Sunday, Sunday with Gloria Hunniford " in 1980.

For a while Clannad was on the Tara Music label, and the web
site at http://www.taramusic.com/clannad.htm has pictures of
Eithne as a member of Clannad.

Two other songs taped during this period were not released until
1996, when they appeared on a compilation album called _Celtic
Folk Festival_ according to a report in the newsgroup.

1.4 And after Clannad?

In 1982 Clannad split with their long time manager and producer
Nicky Ryan. Eithne, apparently frustrated with being left in the
background, left at the same time and in response to Ryan's belief
that she had talent in her own right, moved to Dublin to live with
him and his wife Roma and develop her own musical career.

In 1983 Eithne recorded the instrumental pieces "An Ghaoth
On Ghrian (The Solar Wind)" and "Miss Clare Remembers" which
were released the following year on a compilation album
titled _Touch_Travel_. Fachtna O'Kelly, who had been Clannad's
manager, was acquainted with the partners at the label and
brought Eithne's music to their attention.

Film producer David Puttnam heard some demonstration tapes sent
to him by Roma Ryan. He commissioned Eithne to write music for
his film _The_Frog_Prince_, a romantic comedy set in France, which
was released in 1985. (This is not a children's movie or cartoon;
the title is a play on words.) In the end only a few of her pieces
were used and these were arranged and performed by others. The
film was released as _The_French_Lesson_ in the US. (On the
soundtrack album, re-released in 1995, there are two vocal tracks
performed by Enya that did not appear in the film.)
, ,
The titles on _The_Frog_Prince_ credit music to Enya Ni Bhraonain
and the transition of Eithne to 'Enya' had begun.

In 1986 BBC-TV began work on a six part documentary series
charting the history and continuing cultural influence of the
Celts. Enya was signed to write and perform music for the series.
_The_Celts_ was first shown in 1987 and a selection of its music
released under the title _Enya_ giving the artist her first album,
largely unnoticed at the time.

1.5 What was her 'big break'?

This really began in 1987 when she was signed by Rob Dickins, head
of WEA Music UK, after he had heard and been entranced by the
_Enya_ album. Renowned as one of the most arrogant men in the
business, Dickins has a talent for promoting 'difficult' artists -
no matter how long it takes.

WEA's backing made the recording of _Watermark_ possible and the
album was released in 1988. Although no singles were originally
planned, it was the release Orinoco Flow that brought Enya to
public attention and resulted in an unexpected chart number 1 in
several countries. The rest, as they say, is history...

1.6 I keep hearing that 'Enya' is three people. What does this mean?

Although fronted by Enya herself, the music released under her
name is the result of a collaboration between Enya
(music/arrangements), Nicky Ryan (production/arrangements) and
Roma Ryan (lyrics). Enya has said in several interviews that
without any one of them 'Enya' could not exist.

2.1 What records and videos have been released?

Albums:
1987 Enya
1988 Watermark
1991 Shepherd Moons
1992 The Celts (Remastered reissue of _Enya_)
1995 The Memory of Trees
1995 The Frog Prince (1985 soundtrack)
1997 Paint the Sky with Stars (A "best of" collection with
two new tracks: the title song and 'Only If')
2000 A Day Without Rain

Some pressings of _Watermark_, including the current US Reprise
issue, have Storms In Africa (Part II) as an extra track.

The original release of _Shepherd_Moons_ featured Book Of Days
with an Irish lyric. Pressings from mid-1992 onwards have
replaced this with the English-lyric version used in the film
_Far_And_Away_ (see 2.9).

_The_Celts_ is the same as _Enya_ except that "Portrait" is replaced
with an extended version of itself, "Out of the Blue." Someone
has reported that "Out of the Blue" was the "B" or "flip" side for
the 45rpm (vinyl) single release of Orinoco Flow.

Singles/EPs:
1987 I Want Tomorrow
1988 Orinoco Flow / Evening Falls...
1989 Storms In Africa / 6 Tracks / Oiche Chiun (Silent Night)
1990 3 Tracks EP
1991 Exile / Caribbean Blue / How Can I Keep From Singing?
1992 Book Of Days / The Celts
1992 Oiche Chiun (Silent Night) / Oriel Window /
'S fagaim mo bhaile
1994 Marble Halls / The Christmas EP
1995 Anywhere Is
1996 On My Way Home
1997 Only If / Willows on the Water
2000 Only Time
2001 Wild Child

The singles dates refer to the first release of the title. Many
have been issued in several track combinations and a number
contain tracks that are not featured on any of the album releases.

Videos:
1991 Moonshadows (Orinoco Flow / Exile / Storms In Africa /
Evening Falls... / Caribbean Blue)
2000 Only Time
2001 Only Time (Sweet November version)
2001 Wild Child
2001 Enya - The Video Collection (UK/Europe/Japan)
2001 Only Time ("Sweet November" version; several remixes)

Promo videos have also been seen for 'Anywhere Is', 'Book Of
Days', 'How Can I Keep From Singing?', 'I Want Tomorrow', 'Marble
Halls', 'On My Way Home', 'The Celts', and more recently 'Only If'
and 'Only Time'.

Collections:
1995 Shepherd Moons & Moonshadows
1996 Watermark & Shepherd Moons
1996 Enya Collection
1998 Box of Dreams
2001 Enya Collection (Reissue)

"Box of Dreams" is 3 CD collection, divided into
"Oceans", "Clouds", and "Stars":

I Oceans
1. orinoco flow
2. caribbean blue
3. book of days
4. anywhere is
5. only if...
6. the celts
7. cursum perficio
8. i want tomorrow
9. china roses
10. storms in africa
11. pax deorum
12. the longships
13. ebudae
14. on my way home
15. boadicea

II Clouds
1. Watermark
2. Portrait (out of the blue)
3. Miss Clare Remembers
4. Shepherd Moons
5. March of the Celts
6. Lothlorien
7. From Where I Am
8. Afer Ventus
9. Oriel Window
10. River
11. Tea-house Moon
12. Willows on the Water
13. Morning Glory
14. No Holly for Miss Quinn
15. The Memory of Trees

III Stars
1. Evening Falls
2. Paint the Sky with Stars
3. Angeles
4. Athair ar Neamh
5. La Sonadora
6. Aldebaran
7. Deireadh an Tuath
8. Eclipse
9. Exile
10. On Your Shore
11. Evacuee
12. Marble Halls
13. Hope Has a Place
14. The Sun in the Stream
15. Na Laetha Geal M'oige
16. Smaointe

A remastered version of Orinoco Flow is the main attraction of a
new age CD available only in Asia, or by way of Jeremy Ho's Enya
site, "Angeles" -- see below for the URL.

"Enya: The Video Collection" has been released in Japan and Europe
on DVD and VHS. It contains most of Enya's music videos to date,
plus some extra material on the making of the videos (DVD only).

2.2 Is there a more detailed discography available?

For readers with World Wide Web access a comprehensive discography
is available at:

http://www.btinternet.com/~david.allum/enya/

A book titled _ENYA_A_Beginning_Discography_ by Matt Hargreaves
is apparently a private publication bearing neither
publisher's imprint nor ISBN. It is 126 pages, an illustrated
softcover and details worldwide releases up to early 1991.
_Shepherd_Moons_ and later material are not covered.

There is a biography and discography out in Spanish only:
Author: Sergio Casado
Publisher: Ediciones Catedra (http://www.catedra.com)
Juan Iglacio Luca de Tena, 15. 28027 Madrid, Spain.

ISBN 84-376-1696-4
Published 1999
130 pages. Incl. complete up-to-date discography.

2.3 Are there any books of her music?

Watermark (1988)
Available from International Music Publications (ISBN
1-85909-243-8, order number 2873A) and from Hal Leonard (order
number HL00308160).

Shepherd Moons (1991)
Available from International Music Publications (ISBN
1-85909-286-1, order number 3100A) and from Hal Leonard (order
number HL00308133).

The Best Of Enya (1996)
Available from EMI Music Publishing / Hal Leonard (ISBN
0-7935-4717-2, order number HL00306039). Contains twelve songs in
simplified arrangements for the piano: 'Afer Ventus', 'Book Of
Days', 'Caribbean Blue', 'The Celts', 'Fairytale', 'No Holly For
Miss Quinn', 'On Your Shore', 'Orinoco Flow', 'Shepherd Moons',
'Storms In Africa', 'To Go Beyond' and 'Watermark'.

The Memory Of Trees (1996)
Available from International Music Publications (ISBN
1-85909-338-8, order number 3656A) and from EMI Music Publishing /
Hal Leonard (ISBN 0-7935-6474-3, order number HL00306084)

Enya Best Selection (1996)
Rittor Music (Japan) Ltd. (ISBN 4-8456-0152-4) A collection
of solo piano arrangements: 'Watermark', 'Miss Clare Remembers',
'River', 'The Longships', 'Shepherd Moons', 'No Holly For Miss
,
Quinn', 'Book Of Days', 'Lothlorien', 'From Where I Am',
'Tea-House Moon'.

Paint The Sky With Stars
EMI Music Publishing/IMP (UK) ISBN 1-85909-554-2 Order No. 5987A
Contains Piano, Vocal, Guitar for all 16 tracks on the album.

2.4 Some of her songs aren't in English. What other languages does she
use?

Enya's non-English songs are generally sung in Irish, which is her
first language. Of the others, four are sung in Latin (Cursum
Perficio, Afer Ventus, Pax Deorum, Tempus Vernum), one is in Welsh
(Dan Y Dwr), and one in Spanish (La Sonadora). Also, a few lines
of French are sung in the mostly English 'Only If'.

With the release of the soundtrack for Lord of the Rings, we can
add the Elvish languages invented by J.R.R. Tolkien. "May It Be"
has a passage in Quenya. The other Elvish language, called
Sindarin, is sung by Enya in the song "Aniron" (which in Sindarin
means "I Desire").

2.5 Where can I get translations?

Daniel Quinlan maintains an excellent indexed hypertext set of
translations on the web at:

http://www.pathname.com/enya/

These are based in part on a compilation of material put together
by Lyle Corbin (ly...@microsoft.com). Copies are available in both
plain text and Word for Windows formats.

2.6 Have I heard Enya at the movies and on TV? Or was it someone else?

Several of her pieces have been used in films:

1990 Green Card - River, Storms In Africa, Watermark
1991 L.A. Story - Epona, Exile, On Your Shore
1992 Far And Away - Book Of Days (English version)
1992 Sleepwalkers - Boadicea
1992 Toys - Ebudae
1993 Age Of Innocence - Marble Halls
1995 Cry The Beloved Country - Exile
2001 Sweet November - Only Time
2002 Lord of the Rings - May It Be, Aniron

The BMI index indicates that she has written theme music used by
at least two TV news programs.

A number of her tracks have been used in TV commercials and also as
incidental music in numerous shows and documentaries. This list is
certainly not a complete one:

- The CBS television series "Northern Exposure" was known for its
sophisticated and eclectic mix of background music. Enya's
'Carribean Blue' was featured in the 2nd episode of the third
season (1992), and 'Ebudae' was played during Cicely's "festival
of lights" episode, #18 of the fourth season (1993). "Northern
Exposure" is currently being rerun on the A&E cable network.

-"Orinoco Flow" (Sail Away) was used to promote Crystal Light soft
drink mix. More recently (and logically) it was used to promote
a cruise line.

-"Storms in Africa" was used to promote the NBC series "ER", but
not in the program as aired. It is also being used in ads for
Ansett Airlines in Australia.

-"Book of Days" was the closing theme for the Tom Cruise/Nicole
Kidman movie "Far and Away."

-"The Memory of Trees" played over the closing credits of the
HBO movie _Shot Through the Heart_.

Some ads that are NOT by Enya brought new fans to the newsgroup,
asking "Was that her?" When in doubt, I suggest you check Dave
Allum's excellent discography (see 2.2). I've heard that some
Napster users tend to stick the "Enya" label on things without
checking. ("I am shocked, shocked!" --Louis, in Casablanca)

- The Irish Tourism Board commercial aired in the US (1995-1996) is
,
by Clannad, and the singer is Maire Brennan, Enya's sister. It
was a special commission similar to - but not the same as -
Clannad's theme for the Thames TV programme "Harry's Game." You
might want to check out "Clannad Themes", "Past/Present", or
"Anam".

- The Delta Airlines commercial aired in the US (1997) is by Miriam
Stockley. The song is "Adiemus" from the album _Adiemus: Songs of
Sanctuary_ (Virgin/Carol-7524-2). You can hear RealAudio excerpts
of her work at:

http://www.miriam.co.uk/

- The British Airways ads aired world-wide feature various versions
of "The Flower Duet" from the opera Lakme, by the composer Delibes.
One of the more striking versions features Lesley Garrett, in both
the soprano and mezzo parts. Look for her video, "Viva la Diva."

Many newsgroup participants have remarked on the "Enya-like"
soundtrack of James Cameron's TITANIC. The vocal performance
is by a young Norwegian, Sissel Kyrkjebo.

The recent release AT FIRST SIGHT, starring Val Kilmer, used an
Enya-like tune in its advertising; but the credits say that the
music for the film was written by Mark Isham.

Solas: "The Irish composer Ronan Hardiman has released two albums,
'Celtic Classics' I and II, under the pseudonym of Shanon, and a
third one, 'Solas', under his real name. He also composed the
soundtrack of the musical show 'Lord of the Dance'." One track
on _Solas_ is "Secret World." Several Napster users have attributed
it to Enya by mistake.

2.7 Apart from Clannad has she appeared on any other artists' records?
, ,
1983 Mairead Ni Mhaonaigh & Frankie Kennedy / Ceol Aduaidh
Synthesizer on track An Clar Bog Deil. The duo later formed
the folk band Altan.

1985 Christy Moore / Ordinary Man
Keyboards and backing vocals. Also credited as one of the
album's arrangers.
,
1987 Sinead O'Connor / The Lion And The Cobra
Spoken passage from the Bible (Psalms 91:11-13), in Irish,
on the track "Never Get Old."

1991 Terry Reid / The Driver
Recorded at London's Sarm West studios at the same time that
the Enya team were there mixing _Shepherd_Moons_. The album
features several unaccredited guest artists, with Enya
providing a typical multi-tracked backing vocal on "The
Whole Of The Moon." Any other contributions from her are
less obvious.

1996 Clannad / Celtic Folk Festival
This album features works by various artists including two
previously unreleased tracks by Clannad from the period when
Enya was a member of the band. Horo Gheallaid and Dulaman
were recorded live at the Muziekcentrum Vredenburg Folk
Festival at Utrecht, Holland, on 13 February 1982.

2.8 Is Storms In Africa (Part II) on _Watermark_ or not?

Yes and no. The original issue of _Watermark_ (1988) did not
feature the track which was first released as a single in
1989. The 1989 reissue of the album added the track but
most current pressings, with the exception of the US Reprise
issue, have now reverted to the original format.

2.9 Can you tell which Book Of Days is on a copy of _Shepherd_Moons_?

Jerome Allison shared these clues:

"I have both CDs and the differences are not especially noticeable,
but here's what I found, from the original to the English version.

Externally, the jewel case front looks identical. No difference in
the gray logo, except a small printer's registration error.
The rear has some differences:
bar code moved from horizontal at the top right to vertical
at the bottom right. The Reprise, etc. copyright information
then moved from the bottom right to along most of the bottom.
Mine also adds a "Made in U.S.A." statement - not sure if
that's relevant.

The booklet gives a change in song length: from 2:32 to 2:55.
On the same page, (#9) there's one song license change: from
"Tk 4 Recorded & mixed by Nicky Ryan
c1991 EMI Songs Ltd. BMI"
"Tk 4 Recorded & mixed by Nicky Ryan
c1991 SBK Songs Ltd. (admin. by SBK Blackwood) BMI"

The number on the disk (near the hub) goes from
"1 26775-2 SRC=02" to "1 26775-2 RE=1 SRC**08". If "RE=1"
means a re-issue number, then that's probably a reliable way
to tell the difference.

Another contributor came up with these tips:

Two layouts have been used for the back cover of copies of Shepherd
Moons released in the USA by Reprise. In the original layout,
copyright information is in a column at the right side, below the
track list. In the revised layout, copyright information is placed
in two long lines below the photograph.
Consequently, if, in a quest for the original Book of Days, you find
a Reprise copy of Shepherd Moons with copyright information below the
photo, reject that copy.

If you find a copy with the information below the track list, take a
closer look. If you see the year 1992 there, reject the CD. If
there is no year more recent than 1991, there is a good chance that
you have found what you are looking for, but it is not certain. At
this point you need to either play the track or examine the CD's hub.

The SRC number on the CD's hub (near the hole, on the underside) is
sufficient to identify a copy with the original Book of Days. If
it's SRC**01 or SRC**02, your search has come to an end. The SRC
number is also found on BMG and Columbia House music club recordings
of the album.

Recent pressings (since 1997) may not have the SRC hub marking.

Finding your copy is a bit trickier; we have recent reports that
the original version appeared at a "Best Buy" electronics store.
Non-US distributors may also be a good source. I've dealt with an
online record store based in Brazil and got good service.

2.10 When is her next album coming out?

It hasn't been that long since the Grammy Award went to A DAY
WITHOUT RAIN. It's a bit soon in "Enya time" for a new album;
she likes to take a break and recharge her creative batteries
between major releases.

2001 and 2002 have been productive for her with the release of
the first instalment of "The Lord of the Rings" and the Top 10
success of a remixed "Only Time."

Here's a track list for ADWR, courtesy of www.repriserec.com/enya/
1. A Day Without Rain
2. Wild Child
3. Only Time
4. Tempus Vernum
5. Deora Ar Mo Chroi
6. Flora's Secret
7. Fallen Embers
8. Silver Inches
9. Pilgrim
10. One By One
11. Lazy Days

That's the U.S. version -- other countries have various "bonus" tracks,
including "The First of Autumn" and "Isobella."

2.11 Who is Ridley Scott and why is/was Aldebaran dedicated to him?

Ridley Scott is a British film director with _Alien_,
_Blade_Runner_, and _Thelma_&_Louise_ among his better known
works. The dedication is believed to be the result of Roma
Ryan being a big fan of _Blade_Runner_ (Roma is Enya's
lyricist).

This may be the best insight we have into another Frequently Asked
Question - "What sort of person would Enya choose as a friend?"
Roma Ryan is clearly a creative person who is interested in
astronomy, "hard science," and science fiction.

2.12 Who are Rob Dickins and Ross mentioned in Orinoco Flow?

"we can sail, we can sail...
we can steer, we can near with Rob Dickins at the wheel,
we can sigh, say Goodbye Ross and his dependencies
we can sail, we can sail..."

Rob Dickins was the head of WEA Music UK and was the executive
producer of _Watermark_. Ross Cullum was the album's listed
engineer, and also its co-producer with Nicky Ryan and Enya.
(A reader has noted that Mr. Cullum was actually out sick the day
of the recording.)

"The Ross Dependencies" is a geographic reference, only one of
many in the song. It seems likely that Roma simply couldn't resist
making a little joke based on Ross's name. It would be a mistake
to read too much meaning into this line.

2.13 What do the Irish dedications in the various album liner notes
mean?

_Watermark_

Ta muid fiorbhuioch do Rob Dickins ar son an chuidiu agus an
mhisneach a thug se duinn.

We are truly grateful to Rob Dickins for the help and courage he
gave us.

_Shepherd_Moons_

Ar mbuiochas do Rob Dickins a d'fhan, "ag an stiuir".

Our thanks to Rob Dickins who "stayed at the helm".

_The_Memory_Of_Trees_

Ba dheacair duinne an t-album seo a shamhlu gan focla spreagtha sin
Rob Dickins.

It would be difficult for us to imagine this album without those
inspiring/encouraging words of Rob Dickins.

_Paint_The_Sky_With_Stars_
, ,
Mar as gnath... mbuiochas do Rob Dickins

As always... our thanks to Rob Dickins

2.14 The lyrics given for Ebudae don't match what I'm hearing.

The Gaelic lyrics given on the liner notes are for the quiet solo
passage, almost hidden in the middle of the song. The bold theme
in the foreground is a meaningless chant that has been written
down phonetically by various people (with greater or lesser
success). This is one case where "if it sounds right to you,
it IS right."

2.15 What others musicians have collaborated on her albums?

Although Enya provides all the "voices," from time to time some
other musicians have helped out on specialty instruments:

THE CELTS

Arty McGlynn Electric guitar I Want Tomorrow
Liam O'Flionn Uillean pipes The Sun In The Stream
Patrick Halling Violin To Go Beyond II

WATERMARK

Neil Buckley Clarinet On Your Shore
Chris Hughes Tribal drums Storms In Africa
Davey Spillane Uillean pipes Na Laethe Geal M'oige

SHEPHERD MOONS

Roy Yewitt Clarinet Angeles
Andy Duncan Percussion Book Of Days
Steve Sidwell Cornet Evacuee
Liam O'Flionn Uillean pipes Smaointe

A DAY WITHOUT RAIN
has a credit for "wired strings," a group of studio musicians
who have a Web site at www.wiredstrings.com

2.16 Who are Miss Clare and Miss Quinn?

This is adapted from "Caribbean Blue", the magazine of the
Enya International Club:

Mrs. Dora Saint, a former teacher, is better known as Miss Read,
the author of many well-loved books, popular for their humorous
and honest portraits of English rural life. Two of these are
_No Holly for Miss Quinn_ (1976) and _Miss Clare Remembers_
(1962).

3.1 Does Enya tour?

The short answer is "Not yet."

www.wallofsound.com has a report that she may finally attempt a
performance tour, featuring arrangements of her work for chorus,
some time in 2001. She apparently used a live microphone during
her recent appearance on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" in the
USA, and of course at the 2002 Academy Awards.

3.2 How many records has she sold?

Enya has now sold in excess of 50 million albums worldwide.

3.3 Have any articles or interviews been transcribed?

A number of magazine articles and TV and radio interviews have
been transcribed, mostly by Peter Warburton
(pwar...@ibmpcug.co.uk), and posted as the Enya Papers. Copies -
26 papers were posted - are archived along with a collection of
other transcriptions, on the World Wide Web (see 5.3).

3.4 Any news of Clannad and the rest of the family?

Clannad have continued to perform and record. Their most recent
album,_Landmarks_, won the 1998 Grammy for Best New Age Album.
,
Pol left the band in 1989/90 and has recorded with the trio
Trisan, who have released an eponymous album. He also composed music
for the soundtrack of a film, "When the Sky Falls" (2000). Recently
he put together a new band called Dreambard, and is co-composer and
producer of an upcoming album by Eimear Quinn.
, ,
Maire has released four solo albums: _Maire_ (1992),
_Misty_Eyed_ Adventures_ (1994), _Perfect_Time_ (1998), and
_Whisper_to_the_Wild_Water_ (1999).
, ,
Sisters Deirdre, Olive and Bridin feature on Maire's first two
albums, and Bridin has also toured and recorded with Clannad as a
backing vocalist.

Bridin released a CD single 'Hang On' in January 2001 in Ireland
(some distribution in the U.K.). A full album called 'Deep, Deep,
Sleep' will be released (still pending a deal). Bridin married
in October 2001 and now lives in London. Bridin is establishing an
official web site at http://www.bridinbrennan.com.

Olive has lived in Sydney, Australia with her husband for
several years now.

Deirdre now lives in Donegal.

Eithne's brother Bartley now manages Leo's Tavern.
It is planned to be renovated and expanded to also
include a small museum on the career of Clannad and
Enya. Someone at Leo's mentioned the old pub might be
torn down to make room for the new Leo's Tavern, but
that decision has not been finalized. Bartley is
heading up this effort.

Another brother, Leon (married in 2000) has been living
in Dublin for a few years now, managing Maire Brennan's
live concert tours and appearances. He works closely
with Tim Jarvis, Maire's husband and manager.
,
Maire's next solo album will be released at the
beginning of 2002. - unofficial info.

Maire's album 'Whisper To The Wild Water' was
nominated in 2001 for a Grammy in the New Age category
but did not win.

Maire released an autobiography in 2000 called 'The
Other Side of the Rainbow' published by Hodder &
Stoughton in hardback and paperback in English. It is
also available in the German language as hardback with
the title 'Mein Irisches Leben' (My Irish Life) by
publisher Brunnen Verlag Basel, Switzerland (released
in 2001). Maire's album is a great source of
information on the Brennan and Duggan families.

She has been involved in numerous other project in recent years;
most recent is a special album called "New Irish Hymns" with
Margaret Becker and Joanne Hogg, released late in 2001. She also
provided backing vocals for the soundtrack of the HBO mini-series,
Band of Brothers (2001).

The next Clannad album, a collection of live performances from the
1996 'Lore' concert tour, has been delayed several times. There is
a rumor they plan to record a studio album this year.

3.5 Are any Enya posters available?

The only posters seen so far are those used in record promotions.
It's worth checking out the advertisements in music and record
collecting magazines. In the UK a small selection is usually
available from:

Push Posters,
PO Box 327, Clydebank, Dunbartonshire G81 3HE, U.K.
Tel: (+44) (0)141 951 4460 / Fax: (+44) (0)141 951 4464

They apparently have posters for The Memory Of Trees in stock
as of this posting of the FAQ.

A list is available and the company will take international orders.

3.6 What's her address? Is she on the Net?

PLEASE NOTE!

I cannot forward your fan mail to Enya. I do not have her address.

Several new Enya-related domain names were set up in 2000, e.g.
enyamusic.com, enyaonline.com, and enya.com, each registered to
Eithne and the Ryans. We should probably note this line from
the liner notes for ADWR: "Recorded in the digital domain by
an analogue brain." Eithne herself was asked if she feels she
is ready for the Internet age, and responded that "It doesn't
seem to convey emotion well."

The best way to write to Enya is via her record company: WEA in
most of the world and Reprise in the USA:

outside USA
Enya
c/o Warner Music (UK)
The Warner Building
28 Kensington Church St.
London W8 4EP
United Kingdom

inside USA
Enya
c/o Reprise Records
3300 Warner Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91505

Warner Music Japan has a page titled "Angel Garden" which carried
a "personal message" from Enya, expressing her excitement over
her new album and inviting comments from fans. This is probably
a legitimate page.

In newsgroups or direct email, however, when you see messages
that claim to be from a famous person, whether from Enya or
"<pres...@whitehouse.gov>", you should remember that it is
trivial to fake such messages.

3.7 Are there any fan clubs?

The "Everywhere Is" fan club has closed down.

ONLINE
The Isle of Enya (English)
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/theisleofenya

Enyaclub (Spanish)

ESTONIA
Contact:
Henry O'Possum <he...@raadio.vil.ee>
Address:
Henry, Viljandimaa Post, P.K. 25, EE2900 Viljandi, Estonia.

NETHERLANDS
Contact:
Reinder van Til <281...@xs1.xs4all.nl>
Address:
The Dutch Enya Fanclub, Reinder van Til,
Thomas van de Dijkweg 13, 9801 EK Zuidhorn, The Netherlands.
Details:
Send a self addressed envelope and an International Reply
Coupon for further information.

4.1 Is a font of the "Enya" script available?

A TrueType font similar to the _Watermark_ script exists for
Windows as well as the Apple II and Macintosh. It is available
in several font repositories. The font family "Mistral" is
another similar one.

One link is at http://www.acidcool.com/e5.htm (Acid Fonts)
(The file 'enya.zip' may be moved as new fonts are added -- they
are listed in alphabetic order, so if you don't see it listed,
just browse to the next page.)

The font used for _A Day Without Rain_ is a commercial font
similar to "Calligraphic 810 BT," which can be downloaded from:

http://www.dollydesign.com/fonts/fontsview.asp?per=c

(In Windows, right-click and choose "Save As"; clicking on the
link itself may not work.)

Please DO NOT "share" these or other binary files by posting
them to alt.music.enya. See Section 6.3; because we are not a
"binaries" group, doing this hurts many people even if it helps
a selfish few.

See below (5.4) for tips on getting files from ftp servers
using email; "I don't have ftp" is not an excuse!

4.2 Some say Enya sings in Irish, others say Gaelic. What's the
difference?

Irish belongs to the Goidelic, or Gaelic, branch of the Celtic
family of languages. This branch consists of Irish, (Scottish)
Gaelic and Manx.

Irish speakers refer to their language as 'Gaeilge' (i.e. Gaelic),
but the English word 'Gaelic', unqualified, normally refers only
to Scottish Gaelic. So when using standard English to describe
Enya's native tongue it is correct to say 'Irish' or 'Irish
Gaelic' but not simply 'Gaelic'. (And by the way - Celtic is
pronounced "Keltic," NOT "Seltic".)

Part of the confusion results from the fact that when spoken
'Gaelic' is pronounced differently depending on the language
referred to: "gay-lick" is Irish Gaelic and "gah-lick" is Scottish
Gaelic.

4.3 Are there any Enya sound files available?

Short samples are available on Reprise Records' Enya page at:

http://www.RepriseRec.com/enya/

and of course at Enya's own site, www.enya.com (see 5.3)

4.4 What other artists make music similar to Enya's?

A number of artists' names come up regularly as worthy of the
attention of Enya fans. Given the family connection, Clannad and
,
Maire Brennan are obvious choices although their music is
distinctly different. See:

http://www.empire.net/~whatmoug/clanhome.htm (John Whatmough)

There is a newsgroup, alt.music.clannad.

,
about the group, Maire, and the rest of the family is online at
the Unofficial Clannad News page, http://clannad.org

More in keeping with the Celtic ambient, New Age, style are
artists such as:

Iona
World Wide Web: http://www.iona.uk.com/

Loreena McKennitt
Mailing List : old-ways...@lists.mindspring.com
World Wide Web: http://www.demon.co.uk/quinlan/index.html

Sarah McLachlan
Mailing List : fte-r...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au
World Wide Web: http://www.ccs.itd.umich.edu/~hubt/sarah/

Jane Siberry
Mailing List : majo...@underground.irhe.upenn.edu
World Wide Web: http://malletp.psyc.queensu.ca/siberry/

Also see the "Enya-like" FAQ, available at
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-group/news.answers/music/enya-like

A FAQ page for the newsgroup rec.music.newage is at
http://www.britax.co.uk/britax/rmn-faq

It has many artists; some of them are more Enya-like than
others.

4.5 What's this roses business all about?

In 1996 a number of Enya fans got together to send Enya one
hundred roses on her birthday. Details of the project were
available from the Birthday Roses Project web site at
http://www.info.polymtl.ca/~samourai/enya_bday but it appears
that site no longer exists.

4.6 I heard something terrible happened to Enya!

There was a report on Usenet - not picked up in the press - that
Enya was in an auto accident in July 1997. She was treated and
released from the hospital within a day.

Please be skeptical about any other unpleasant rumors.
Specifically, it seems every few months someone repeats an
ugly rumor that "Enya killed herself x years ago." Not true,
and frankly it was a bit sickening the way it kept coming back.
Touch wood, I think we've finally put a stop to that one.

4.7 Other "Enyas"

* A minor planet (asteroid) has been named for Enya:

http://cfa-

* An Irish naval vessel has been named for Enya's namesake, Eithne.
(Probably for the goddess, not "our" Enya. Oh, well!)

* The Ecumenical Network for Youth Action (E.N.Y.A.) is a European
organization that struggles for "a higher profile of the concerns
of children, youth, women and those who are excluded by the church
and society".

5.1 What Usenet newsgroups discuss Enya?

The newsgroup alt.music.enya is dedicated to Enya. There was
previously a group called alt.fan.enya but this has now merged
with alt.music.enya and all postings should be made to the latter.
Sadly not all sites take the alt groups. Enya is also discussed
occasionally in rec.music.newage and rec.music.celtic.

5.2 Is there a mailing list?

Yes, more than one.

You will receive an introductory message when you subscribe to
any mailing list -- please save this message so that you will
know how to manage your subscription, e.g. what to do when your
address changes, or when you go on vacation. There is nothing more
annoying that seeing a mailing list fill up with noise from people
who don't remember how to unsubscribe!

To subscribe to the moderated Enya mailing list, send mail to
majo...@cs.colorado.edu with the following as the subject and
the only text in the body of the message:

subscribe enya Your-Email-Address

Remember to replace "Your-Email-Address" with your own Email address,
such as jsm...@example.com - not John Smith.

A partial archive of the list is available for anonymous FTP at
ftp://refuge.colorado.edu/pub/enya/archive.

Trevor Stewart, ICQ 9971019, announced a new list in September 1998.
The instructions are simply to send an email to
enya-su...@egroups.com

Pablo Sebastian Velazco is running a moderated mailing list; write
to "e...@tsode.com.ar" in English or Spanish, or visit the list's
page at http://onelist.com/community/enya

Jean Debord has a page at:
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/4050/enyalist.html
that has links to other Enya resources as well as a mailing list.

There is an Enya Mailing List in Spanish at:
enyaclub-...@yahoogroups.com
You can also subscribe from the web:

This replaces the Spanish mailing-list link formerly hosted at
enya.org. The rest of the enya.org site remains active.

5.3 Where is all this information archived?

The official Enya website is of course http://www.enya.com
It has been completely redesigned by its new webmasters
Peter Pehrson and John Eckroth, both frequent contributors to
alt.music.enya and the Enya community.

* A wealth of Enya-related information is available on the World
Wide Web via "Shepherd Moons, the Enya Web Page" at:

http://www.shepherdmoons.net

This replaces Peter Pehrson's "Enya Unofficial Home Page", often
mentioned here as the "EUHP".

* Reprise Records runs another "official" Enya web page at:

http://www.repriserec.com/Enya

* Jeremy Ho's Enya page has a number of links and Enya MIDI files:

http://www.vdc-interactive.com/angeles/

It also provides access to the first Chinese-language Enya Web
page:

http://www.vdc-interactive.com/angeles/about/chinenya.htm

* Kevin B Black's Page of Enya URLs/links
http://homepages.enterprise.net/kbb/EnyaLinks.html

* Enya on UBL.Com
http://ubl.com/ubl_artist.asp?artistid=1093
and click on "Artist Websites"

* Clannad on UBL.Com
http://ubl.com/ubl_artist.asp?artistid=11651

* Gary's list of Enya pages:
http://members.aol.com/gnsharkfan/enya.htm

, ~
* Informacion en espanol:
Enya Unofficial Home Page (spanish version/mirror)
Enya Discography (spanish version/mirror)
Enya FAQ (spanish version)

http://enya.org

* Another useful ftp archive for those also interested in Celtic
music and artists in general is the Celtic Music Archive run by
Gerard Manning at:

http://celtic.stanford.edu/ceolas.html
ftp://celtic.stanford.edu/pub

5.4 I don't have access to FTP, WWW, etc. Can I get things by Email?

Most Internet services including FTP, WWW, and Usenet can be
accessed by Email via a gateway server. Bob Rankin
(BobR...@MHV.net) maintains an excellent FAQ on the subject
including plenty of server addresses. For a copy send an Email
message to mail-...@rtfm.mit.edu with the following as the
only text in the body of the message:

send usenet/news.answers/internet-services/access-via-email

5.5 Which music papers or magazines have the best Enya coverage?

The best coverage, by far, has been in the Irish fortnightly music
paper _Hot_Press_. A couple of its articles have been transcribed
and posted as part of the Enya Papers series (see 3.3). An online
version of the magazine - _Hot_Press_on_the_'net_ - is available
on subscription at:

http://www.hot-press.com

6.0 Who are these people in alt.music.enya saying rotten things
about Enya and the other posters in the group? Why are they
picking on us?

They're called trolls. The term comes from fishing: trolling
means "to fish by towing bait behind a moving boat." Trolls are
fishing for an argument.

They aren't picking on us particularly, compared to some groups,
but they go where they can get a reaction, and some of them figure
that Enya fans are an easy target.

6.1 What should I do about them?

Ignore them. You can frustrate them utterly by deciding "That post
doesn't exist." You do not mock it, nor criticize it, nor point out
how stupid it is (as easy as that would be!). You do not post any
followup to it because *it doesn't exist*.

Don't post messages calling attention to the troll, or saying "I'm
ignoring you!" That's like trying to put out a fire by throwing
gasoline on it.

No reaction = no trolls.

Don't Feed the Trolls.

From http://www.firelily.com/support/depression/trolls.html

"Don't read posts from or about abusers.
If you can't resist reading it, you don't have to respond to it.
If you HAVE to respond to it, if you just can't resist, then
at least take it to email - don't post it to the group."

6.2 Can I get some help doing that?

Sure. A killfile is a standard part of most real newsreaders,
but even if you're using a Web browser to read news, you can
still have a killfile:

IN OUTLOOK EXPRESS:
Select [Tools][Newsgroup filters].
Select [Add].
Enter the troll's address in "[From]"
Click [OK]

IN NETSCAPE:
Get the Fixnews plugin from http://www.desisoft.com/

6.3 "I see people asking for Enya MIDI files -- shall I just post mine
here?"

Please don't post ANY binaries to alt.music.enya, even if they seem to
be 'on-topic.' That includes pictures of Enya, .MIDi files, and
especially MP3s. Before you get upset with me, let me explain: The
problem is NOT the content! It is the FORMAT!

There are groups whose name begins with "alt.binaries.", and they
exist only to keep binaries OUT of the discussion groups such as this
one.
If it were not for the inflexible rule that "binaries go in a binaries
group," many small sites would refuse to carry ANY alt. group... and
that includes this one! That is the problem. Our only defense is to
make it absolutely clear that we, as a group, do not tolerate binary
files in our space. News administrators take that into account; if we
get a reputation as a "rogue" group, our days our numbered.

The Web is full of free or cheap hosting where people can get files at
a time of their own choosing. One might argue that posting a really
popular file one time makes more sense than imposing the load on a
single server -- and yes, that is true. That is why the alt.binaries
groups still exist. Use one of those, and no one will have any
complaints.

If you won't listen to me, check your service provider's terms of
service -- posting binaries to a non-binaries group will get your
account terminated at most of them.

You are always welcome to post a text message to alt.music.enya to
tell us about a new Enya-related file, whether it's on an ftp site, a
web page, or in one of the alt.binaries newsgroups. Thank you!

Please send FAQ corrections, comments, or new information to the FAQ
maintainer: Kevin Martin <can...@nic.com> Please mention 'Enya' in
the Subject line of your email.

Johns News

Jul 5, 2002, 4:04:05 PM7/5/02