Why Bach and not Beethoven?

Jarl Sigurd

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00

L M RECORDS wrote

>Alex Masi - In the name of Bach - LMC 2002 2
>15 tracks by J S Bach performed on acoustic and electric guitars by the
>grammy
>nominated master Alex Masi. the 2 bonus tracks are only available on this
>European
>version.

So Alex Masi is back. Good thing he's sticking to instrumentals instead
of writing songs. My question is, why do all these shredders always do
Bach. Just once I'd like to hear one of these guys tackle some
Beethoven for a change.

Jarl Sigurd

to listen to a symphony composed by Jarl Sigurd
visit: http://geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Pavilion/4085

Ace Diamond

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
Mike Sandler wrote:

> Bach's music has an amazing ability to sound good in any style or on any
> instrument. LvB's is more bound to the forms and instruments he used.

I have an Yngwie concert video where he plays part of Beethoven's
5th and it sounds pretty good.

Ace

sdavmor

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
To heck with him tackling Beethoven instead of Bach. Make him tackle
Kreutzer or Paganini. Have a go at interpreting some shredding
violin!
--
Steven Davies-Morris (SDM) -- A 21st Century Schizoid Man
Personal: http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Island/1274

"Jarl Sigurd" <jarls...@geocities.com> wrote in message

Mark Zedaker

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
In article <z3sk4.215929$5r2.5...@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>, "Jarl Sigurd"
<jarls...@geocities.com> wrote:

> L M RECORDS wrote
>
> >Alex Masi - In the name of Bach - LMC 2002 2
> >15 tracks by J S Bach performed on acoustic and electric guitars by the
> >grammy
> >nominated master Alex Masi. the 2 bonus tracks are only available on this
> >European
> >version.
>
> So Alex Masi is back. Good thing he's sticking to instrumentals instead
> of writing songs. My question is, why do all these shredders always do
> Bach. Just once I'd like to hear one of these guys tackle some
> Beethoven for a change.

I can answer that - in Bach (especially the Sonatas and Partitas for
Solo Violin and the Suites for Solo Cello, which are all favorite pieces
to transcribe for pickstyle guitar), the music often has an 'elemental'
rhythmic structure. That is to say, the entire movement is in a single
note-value, which suits 'shredders' perfectly.

Also, phrasing devices that you need to use to make Beethoven sound
right (rubato, accellerando, and ritardando for instance) are pretty
foreign to electric guitarists in general, and especially 'shredders',
while Bach is best played as straightforward as possible. Most of
Beethoven's music is full of that sort of thing, and rock guitarists just
aren't used to doing it.

Finally, I'm not aware of any of Beethoven's music that's written
for a solo, monophonic instrument (like the violin or cello). There are
the violin sonatas, but those have piano accompaniment, and frankly, I
don't think you could get them to sound right with an electric guitar.

I'm waiting to hear an electric guitar version of the Berg Violin
Concerto. (Hah.)

--
Mark Zedaker
ch...@home.com

Mark Zedaker

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
In article <Yzsk4.3474$Sa2.1...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
"sdavmor" <sda...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> To heck with him tackling Beethoven instead of Bach. Make him tackle
> Kreutzer or Paganini. Have a go at interpreting some shredding
> violin!

Everyone since Yngwie has done Paganinni on guitar, and both he and
Kreutzer are featured in Berklee's 'Classical Studies for Pickstyle
Guitar', which I'm sure every shredder on the planet has worked his way
through.

Incidentally, since when do you 'interpret' Paganinni? :p

--
Mark Zedaker
ch...@home.com

John Sheehy

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
In message <chuji-28010...@cx45150-a.dt1.sdca.home.com>,
ch...@home.com (Mark Zedaker) wrote :

>Incidentally, since when do you 'interpret' Paganinni?

BPM
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <jsh...@ix.netcom.com>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Mike Smith

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
"Jarl Sigurd" <jarls...@geocities.com> wrote in message

> So Alex Masi is back. Good thing he's sticking to instrumentals instead
> of writing songs. My question is, why do all these shredders always do
> Bach. Just once I'd like to hear one of these guys tackle some
> Beethoven for a change.

Ludwig Van? Feh. Let's hear this droogie cut up on some Rachmaninoff, then
we'll talk, 'kay?

--
Mike Smith

There are perhaps 5% of the population that simply *can't* think.
There are another 5% who *can*, and *do*.
The remaining 90% *can* think, but *don't*.
-- R. A. Heinlein

Mike Sandler

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00

> "Jarl Sigurd" <jarls...@geocities.com> wrote in message
> >
> > So Alex Masi is back. Good thing he's sticking to instrumentals instead
> > of writing songs. My question is, why do all these shredders always do
> > Bach. Just once I'd like to hear one of these guys tackle some
> > Beethoven for a change.

Bach's music has an amazing ability to sound good in any style or on any

instrument. LvB's is more bound to the forms and instruments he used.

Mike Sandler

David Meadows

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
sdavmor <sda...@rocketmail.com> wrote in message

> To heck with him tackling Beethoven instead of Bach. Make him tackle
> Kreutzer or Paganini. Have a go at interpreting some shredding
> violin!

Beethoven and (especially) Bach were the ultimate violin shredders. Paganini
was an amature by comparison.

--
David

"Music, shorn of labels and standing alone, when it is
conceived, composed and performed with love and integrity,
can elevate us all." -- Jon Lord

jay

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
I visited your website, Jarl. Your music is very unusual. A bit like the
music in the lounge where buck rogers hung out. You are much ahead of time.
I think you are the best person to appreciate your own music.

Jarl Sigurd wrote in message ...

>L M RECORDS wrote
>
>>Alex Masi - In the name of Bach - LMC 2002 2
>>15 tracks by J S Bach performed on acoustic and electric guitars by the
>>grammy
>>nominated master Alex Masi. the 2 bonus tracks are only available on this
>>European
>>version.
>

>So Alex Masi is back. Good thing he's sticking to instrumentals instead
>of writing songs. My question is, why do all these shredders always do
>Bach. Just once I'd like to hear one of these guys tackle some
>Beethoven for a change.

Diophantus

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
On Fri, 28 Jan 2000 18:23:09 -0800, Jarl Sigurd <jarls...@geocities.com>
wrote:

>So Alex Masi is back. Good thing he's sticking to instrumentals instead
>of writing songs. My question is, why do all these shredders always do
>Bach. Just once I'd like to hear one of these guys tackle some
>Beethoven for a change.

It's because Bach's music is more timeless. It is more "portable" to
instruments that it wasn't written for.

Oh, and Bach's intellect dwarfs Beethoven's by orders of magnitude.

Diophantus

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 09:50:14 -0000, David Meadows <da...@no.spam.here.co.uk>
wrote:

>sdavmor <sda...@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
>> To heck with him tackling Beethoven instead of Bach. Make him tackle
>> Kreutzer or Paganini. Have a go at interpreting some shredding
>> violin!
>
>Beethoven and (especially) Bach were the ultimate violin shredders. Paganini
>was an amature by comparison.

I don't think that either was renowned for the ability to play the violin,
though I'm sure they had a working knowledge.

Both these gentlemen were oriented toward keyboard instruments.

ha...@nospambow.com

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
Funny how opinions are so often posted as facts. As far as music intellect
goes I disagree.

Harp
Get Free Books, Video/DVD's, CD's, Health Supplies, and more:
http://www.positiveliving.com/freestuff.html

-----

>Oh, and Bach's intellect dwarfs Beethoven's by orders of magnitude.

----- http://newsone.net/ -- Discussions on every subject. -----
NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts
made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email ab...@newsone.net

sdavmor

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
"Jim Harper" <jim_h...@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Jarl,
> Check out some of Allan Holdworth's stuff, he did some good shit
with MIDI.
> This guy would be of enormous benefit to your playing!

He should also check out Scott McGill of The Hand Farm and Finneus
Gauge. A _monster_ fusion guitarist who can shred intensely but also
knows when not to play.

The Hand Farm site:
http://ghostland.com/handfarm/

The Finneous Guage site:
http://users.erols.com/finneus/

The Hand Farm is Scott's fusion power trio. Finneus Gauge is a jazz /
progressive rock (rock-in-opposition vein) five piece with a superb
female vocalist. Each combo has 2 CDs available.

--
Steven Davies-Morris (SDM) -- A 21st Century Schizoid Man
Personal: http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Island/1274
Systems Theory: http://systemstheory.net/

NP: Radiohead "OK Computer"

Diophantus

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 10:05:40 +1100, Jim Harper <jim_h...@NOSPAM.hotmail.com>
wrote:
>I would have personally stated Chopin myself as a good classical musician to
>be influenced by, especially Chopin's use of chromaticism which can be applied
>jazz fusion styles.

I love the Fantasie Impromptu in F minor. I agree about the chromaticism:
Chopin can just make the chromatic runs smoke.

>Bach is popular on the guitar because so much of the fugue
>and
>conterpoint stuff can be applied to the guitar.

Also, single-voice compositions in the "broken style" can be readily applied to
solo electric guitar, clearly.

Dio_Fan (KEN)

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
Personally, I perfer Motzart if you must speak of classical composers--I
know this is a Dio list and Ronnie himself much prefers Bach, but one must
speak his mind.
This truly is no place for the discussion of ht classics, in all truth--I am
more than sure there is a place for such.......
And now (hopefully) back to our regularly scheduled Dio! (and whatever
crosspostings this has managed to hit)
All The Best,
KEN

The Man On A Silver Mountain
http://www.DioZine.com/
The ONLY choice when it comes to Dio!

Diophantus <dioph...@nospam.org> wrote in message

Diophantus

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
On Sun, 30 Jan 2000 04:27:15 GMT, Dio_Fan (KEN) <bo...@ctaz.com> wrote:
>Personally, I perfer Motzart if you must speak of classical composers--I
>know this is a Dio list and Ronnie himself much prefers Bach, but one must
>speak his mind.

Mozart is a mental retard compared to Bach. His music is light, like
Cool Whip, and about as unpredictable.

He did come up with a few catchy tunes, like that allegro movement from
the A major piano sonata, also known as Alla Turca. It's pretty cool,
but it's not deep.

Ken & AnnMarie

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
Well, I guess--PARTICULARLY since this is NOT a classical forum--I am just
entitled to express my opinion.
An I really like Mozart--mathematically precise and all.
KEN

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Man On A Silver Mountain
http://www.DioZine.com/

The ONLY On Line Dio Fan Zine
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diophantus <dioph...@nospam.org> wrote in message

Diotec

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00

Diophantus <dioph...@nospam.org> skrev i en
nyhedsmeddelelse:slrn897gnr.n...@ashi.FootPrints.net...

> On Sun, 30 Jan 2000 04:27:15 GMT, Dio_Fan (KEN) <bo...@ctaz.com> wrote:
> >Personally, I perfer Motzart if you must speak of classical composers--I
> >know this is a Dio list and Ronnie himself much prefers Bach, but one
must
> >speak his mind.
>
> Mozart is a mental retard compared to Bach. His music is light, like
> Cool Whip, and about as unpredictable.
>
> He did come up with a few catchy tunes, like that allegro movement from
> the A major piano sonata, also known as Alla Turca. It's pretty cool,
> but it's not deep.

Generally I Don't like classical music(maybe I haven't heard the right stuff
yet) OK some neo-classical stuff in Metal is nice and maybe Bartok once in
awhile. Anyway if you could erase the Dio NG from this thread next time it
would be nice.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
For every moment of truth, there's confusion in Life
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Elizabeth Giles

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00

Diophantus <dioph...@nospam.org> wrote (of Mozart)

> His music is light, like Cool Whip, and about as unpredictable.

I'm afraid I have to agree with this. Mozart's greatest talent seems to
have been generating infinite variations on a single theme and then pairing
them with the same accompanying parts. (Any of his works for strings
generally parse out to 1st violins playing a melody barely distinguishable
from any other Mozart melody and the rest of the orchestra playing the same
two notes over and over forever.)

I do think that Beethoven was the greater genius, mainly because he was so
much more innovative than Bach (who was also a genius, but worked more
within acceptable forms in acceptable ways). The real beauty of Beethoven
is his elegant barbarism. Apparently during several premiers of his works,
audiences would just get up and leave because they felt the music was too
crude and violent. To a modern ear, this sort of violence is still evident,
but the fact that it is tempered with restraint also is.

Anyway, classical classical blah blah...

Liz
--
"Reasoning is partly insane/Image just an eyeless game..."
Anyone else ever noticed that destiny and density are almost the same?

Jarl Sigurd

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00

Diotec wrote

>Generally I Don't like classical music(maybe I haven't heard the right
stuff
>yet) OK some neo-classical stuff in Metal is nice and maybe Bartok once in
>awhile

Most of the quality recordings of classical music were made
during the 1940's and 50's if not earlier.Todays classical musicians
are to obsessed with technique and precision and lack the feel
to execute it properly. Comparing todays classical musicians to
the greats of the early 20th Century is like comparing Steve Vai
to Jimmy Page. Guys like Wilhelm Furtwangler and Bruno Walter
knew what they were doing. If you do want to check out some
classical music played the way it should be, check these guys
out.

Jarl Sigurd

to listen to a symphony done almost entirely on guitar
visit: http://geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Pavilion/4085

Jarl Sigurd

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00

Diophantus wrote

>Mozart is a mental retard compared to Bach. His music is light, like

>Cool Whip, and about as unpredictable.

Mozart is actually quite impressive when played properly. Most of
todays classical musicians are a joke. All they care about is precision
and technique. They generally lack the feel needed to bring out
the true artistry of great composers like Mozart. Check out a Bruno
Walter recording of Mozart if you want to hear how it really should
be done.

Jarl Sigurd

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00

sdavmor wrote

>check out Scott McGill of The Hand Farm and Finneus
>Gauge. A _monster_ fusion guitarist who can shred intensely but also
>knows when not to play.

>The Hand Farm site:
>http://ghostland.com/handfarm/
>

>The Hand Farm is Scott's fusion power trio. Finneus Gauge is a jazz /
>progressive rock (rock-in-opposition vein) five piece with a superb
>female vocalist. Each combo has 2 CDs available.

I checked out the webpage but couldn' find any soundclips
so I can't comment on his playing. I can only say he wears
his guitar way too high to be cool. To be cool a guitarist has
to wear his guitar a crotch level or lower. Otherwise it looks
geeky.

Jarl Sigurd

to listen to a guitar symphony recorded at crotch level
visit: http://geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Pavilion/4085

David Meadows

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
Diophantus <dioph...@nospam.org> wrote in message

I was talking about their writing, not their playing. Both wrote their best
works (in my opinion) for the violin.

sdavmor

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
"Jarl Sigurd" <jarls...@geocities.com> wrote in message

Pretty funny, Jarl.

Thank God good playing has nothing to do with being coooooool.

I'll check out the crotch-level guitar symphony tonight and get back
to you on it.

--
Steven Davies-Morris (SDM) -- A 21st Century Schizoid Man
Personal: http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Island/1274
Systems Theory: http://systemstheory.net/

NP: nothing

Diophantus

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
On Sun, 30 Jan 2000 17:43:54 -0000, David Meadows <da...@no.spam.here.co.uk>

wrote:
>Diophantus <dioph...@nospam.org> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 09:50:14 -0000, David Meadows
><da...@no.spam.here.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>> >Beethoven and (especially) Bach were the ultimate violin shredders.
>Paganini
>> >was an amature by comparison.
>>
>> I don't think that either was renowned for the ability to play the violin,
>> though I'm sure they had a working knowledge.
>>
>> Both these gentlemen were oriented toward keyboard instruments.
>
>I was talking about their writing, not their playing. Both wrote their best
>works (in my opinion) for the violin.

I see, so merely writing for the violin makes one a "violin shredder". Didn't
know that!

Diotec

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00

Jarl Sigurd <jarls...@geocities.com> skrev i en
nyhedsmeddelelse:8s_k4.216194$5r2.5...@tor-nn1.netcom.ca...

> Diotec wrote
> >Generally I Don't like classical music(maybe I haven't heard the right
> stuff
> >yet) OK some neo-classical stuff in Metal is nice and maybe Bartok once
in
> >awhile
>
> Most of the quality recordings of classical music were made
> during the 1940's and 50's if not earlier.Todays classical musicians
> are to obsessed with technique and precision and lack the feel
> to execute it properly. Comparing todays classical musicians to
> the greats of the early 20th Century is like comparing Steve Vai
> to Jimmy Page. Guys like Wilhelm Furtwangler and Bruno Walter
> knew what they were doing. If you do want to check out some
> classical music played the way it should be, check these guys
> out.
>
> Jarl Sigurd

Thanx for the input!

-Torben-

Mark Zedaker

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
In article <slrn8992m6.6...@ashi.FootPrints.net>,
dioph...@nospam.org wrote:

Yeah, really - I like the Violin Sonatas & Partitas, but they don't
really compare with JSBs keyboard works - especially the later ones. And
the 4th Brandenburg (a violin showcase) is less interesting than any of
the others, IMO.

Anyway, isn't LvB's violin-oriented output relatively small? I know
there are a few sonatas and the Violin Concerto, but aside from those, I'm
not aware of much else he really did with the instrument in the forefront.

--
Mark Zedaker
ch...@home.com

Rob

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
In article <ds_k4.216198$5r2.5...@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>, "Jarl Sigurd" <jarls...@geocities.com> wrote:

>sdavmor wrote
>
>>check out Scott McGill of The Hand Farm and Finneus
>>Gauge. A _monster_ fusion guitarist who can shred intensely but also
>>knows when not to play.
>
>>The Hand Farm site:
>>http://ghostland.com/handfarm/
>>
>>The Hand Farm is Scott's fusion power trio. Finneus Gauge is a jazz /
>>progressive rock (rock-in-opposition vein) five piece with a superb
>>female vocalist. Each combo has 2 CDs available.
>
>I checked out the webpage but couldn' find any soundclips
>so I can't comment on his playing. I can only say he wears
>his guitar way too high to be cool. To be cool a guitarist has
>to wear his guitar a crotch level or lower. Otherwise it looks
>geeky.
>
>Jarl Sigurd
>
>to listen to a guitar symphony recorded at crotch level
>visit: http://geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Pavilion/4085

Jarl, you're a pinhead. Scott McGill is AWESOME & no real guitar player wears
his guitar super low. You just can't play well with it hanging down at your
knees.

sdavmor

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
"Rob" <r...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

He may be a pinhead, but he's *our* pinhead. And, more to the pointy
head of it, he's a crotch-level pinhead <laughs>.

You're right BTW, Scott McGill is a freaking monster guitarist....

--
Steven Davies-Morris (SDM) -- A 21st Century Schizoid Man
Personal: http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Island/1274
Systems Theory: http://systemstheory.net/

NP: Sundial "Reflecter"

Mike Hamm

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
I personally like Bach more than LVB, and as far as violin works go, he's the
only one I know who was able to write 5-part fugues for the instrument! Not
bad with only 4 strings. The d-minor chaconne pretty much states Bach's case
that he could at least write ultimate shred-music for the instrument that
still had many levels to it.

His cello suites, for me, are even better as a whole.

--my 2 cents.

Mike

Mike Hamm

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
I used to think Mozart was a bit of a square and too predictable, but now as I
get a bit (ahem) older I am starting to appreciate him-- there is some
fantastic beauty to his works, perfection too- maybe he made it sound too
easy. His requiem and Jupiter Symphony, for example, are pretty amazing, and
why is this thread in prog rock NG's?

Mike

Jarl Sigurd wrote:

> Diophantus wrote
>
> >Mozart is a mental retard compared to Bach. His music is light, like
> >Cool Whip, and about as unpredictable.
>
> Mozart is actually quite impressive when played properly. Most of
> todays classical musicians are a joke. All they care about is precision
> and technique. They generally lack the feel needed to bring out
> the true artistry of great composers like Mozart. Check out a Bruno
> Walter recording of Mozart if you want to hear how it really should
> be done.
>

> Jarl Sigurd

Pseudeojudo

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00

....All I can say is Chromatic intensity! Bach's scallular just outside the
box cliffhangers do a mind in for the likes of subliminal mathematics!
....all I know is that Yngwies best stuff was on his first solo album; Far
Beyond the Sun and As Above! I think it is great to learn intensity from the
masters you just have to put in the time to write your own songs. Tony Mac
Alpine did a great job of Paganini But I really liked his original
compositions. Vinnie Moore had a few great albums too....

These albums like their masters before them had hit and miss songs.

John Sheehy wrote in message ...
>In message <chuji-28010...@cx45150-a.dt1.sdca.home.com>,
>ch...@home.com (Mark Zedaker) wrote :
>
>>Incidentally, since when do you 'interpret' Paganinni?
>
>BPM
>--
>
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
> John P Sheehy <jsh...@ix.netcom.com>
> ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Jim Harper

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
I would have personally stated Chopin myself as a good classical musician to
be influenced by, especially Chopin's use of chromaticism which can be applied
jazz fusion styles. Bach is popular on the guitar because so much of the fugue
and
conterpoint stuff can be applied to the guitar. I don't see Beethoven as being
translative to the fretboard from a guitarist's point of view as say Paganini.

Jarl Sigurd wrote:

> L M RECORDS wrote
>
> >Alex Masi - In the name of Bach - LMC 2002 2
> >15 tracks by J S Bach performed on acoustic and electric guitars by the
> >grammy
> >nominated master Alex Masi. the 2 bonus tracks are only available on this
> >European
> >version.
>

> So Alex Masi is back. Good thing he's sticking to instrumentals instead
> of writing songs. My question is, why do all these shredders always do
> Bach. Just once I'd like to hear one of these guys tackle some
> Beethoven for a change.
>

> Jarl Sigurd

Jim Harper

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00

jay wrote:

> I visited your website, Jarl. Your music is very unusual. A bit like the
> music in the lounge where buck rogers hung out. You are much ahead of time.
> I think you are the best person to appreciate your own music.

Mark Zedaker

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
In article <3894B0D9...@earthlink.net>, Mike Hamm
<mike...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I personally like Bach more than LVB, and as far as violin works go, he's the
> only one I know who was able to write 5-part fugues for the instrument! Not
> bad with only 4 strings. The d-minor chaconne pretty much states Bach's case
> that he could at least write ultimate shred-music for the instrument that
> still had many levels to it.

Um. I'm not sure I'd call the Chaconne (or either of the fugues, for
that matter) of the violin works 'shred music' at all, although some
movements (the Prelude and the final Gigue from #3 come to mind)
definitely are.

Anyway, the Chaconne is a masterpiece.. as far as I know, it's the
only thing of it's type in the whole violin repetoire. Just looking at it
on a page is enough to give a player anxiety (on the guitar, even. I play
a little fiddle, but frankly, not very well).

On the other hand, what a worthwhile mountain to climb!

> His cello suites, for me, are even better as a whole.

Just coincidentally, I was going through a few movements from the
first Cello Suite the other night - the Prelude, and the Minuets I and
II. Aside from having to get creative to make them fit in the range of
the guitar, they seem a lot less technically difficult than the violin
works.

--
Mark Zedaker
ch...@home.com

White Flame (aka David Holz)

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
<ha...@nospambow.com> wrote in message news:86vnpp$13j$1...@news.netmar.com...

> >Oh, and Bach's intellect dwarfs Beethoven's by orders of magnitude.
>
> Funny how opinions are so often posted as facts. As far as music intellect
> goes I disagree.

The two are a little like apples & oranges. Beethoven was a bit of a rebel,
with very emotional music. Bach was very structured and created beauty out of
the mechanics of music itself.

--
White Flame (aka David Holz)
http://fly.to/theflame

Stefan Secker

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
What the hell is discussed here?
Beethoven a rebel? Sure baby.... he was a former incarnation of James Dean
if i remember his karma right....

Lou Pecora

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
<jarls...@geocities.com> wrote:

> I checked out the webpage but couldn' find any soundclips
> so I can't comment on his playing. I can only say he wears
> his guitar way too high to be cool. To be cool a guitarist has
> to wear his guitar a crotch level or lower. Otherwise it looks
> geeky.

Thus, guitar as phallus.

Musicality: Play it at a level that enables you to play it best.

Theatricality: Play it at a level that your fans think looks best.

Your choice.

Hendrixicality: Play it with your teeth. :-)

Lou Pecora, email: pec...@anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, D.C. 20375-5000, U.S.A.
== My comments are my own and do not reflect the views of the U.S. Navy. ==
== No Spamming or solicitations -- both are illegal at this site ==
Check out our Nonlinear Dynamics Web site: http://chaos-mac.nrl.navy.mil/
* The 5th Experimental Chaos Conference Orlando FL June 1999.
Check it out at http://www.physics.gatech.edu/ecc5/
* The 4th Experimental Chaos Conference Sessions & Abstracts Online: http://natasha.umsl.edu/Exp_Chaos4, proceedings available.

pgrec*s

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
if you don't know anything about beethoven and the age he lived in, you
should keep quiet

Stefan Secker <Stefan...@idv-k.de> wrote in message

Stefan Secker

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
Post those Beethoven stuff in ngs where it belongs to (whereever that is),
and i will keep as quiet as i can...

> if you don't know anything about beethoven and the age he lived in, you
> should keep quiet

pgrec*s

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
okay that's fair

Stefan Secker <Stefan...@idv-k.de> wrote in message

Matthew Leonhardt

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
Jim Harper wrote:

> What I have often wondered about is what if the original composer's say Bach or
> Mozart were alive today what they would of thought of other people's
> intepretation of their music. Beethoven would have said no, no, you shithead it
> is played like so.
> Is what we hear people play, how the masters played it? Or is it a
> bastardisation of the original works?

Actually, the question that's always interested me more is if these composers were
alive today, with the current technology and course of musical history, what would
they be writing and listening to? Here's my thoughts:

Beethoven: Andrew Lloyd Weber beware.
Mozart: American Top Forty.....every week.
Bach: alt.music.bach

Matt

yiyo

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00

Matthew Leonhardt wrote:

Didn't the composers mentioned think that guitars were not real musical instruments.
Just toys for women attempting to play a stringed instrument?
I think geniuses can be assholes too. They can also be sadly mistaken in certain
things , while excelling at what they like to do.
yiyo

Matthew Leonhardt

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
Mike Hamm wrote:

> I used to think Mozart was a bit of a square and too predictable, but now as I
> get a bit (ahem) older I am starting to appreciate him-- there is some
> fantastic beauty to his works, perfection too- maybe he made it sound too
> easy. His requiem and Jupiter Symphony, for example, are pretty amazing, and
> why is this thread in prog rock NG's?
>
> Mike

I actually wrote a rather lengthy essay on that. The reason a classical thread
gets so much discussion in a prog NG is because where 90% of all rock is founded
on blues and the concept of blues (simple, portable music which everyone could
enjoy and most people could play) whereas prog is founded on the virtuosity and
craftsmanship found in classical and jazz (a direct reaction to the simplicity and
"common-ness" of country blues).

Matt

Mark Zedaker

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
In article <3895D96A...@ot.com>, yi...@ot.com wrote:

> Didn't the composers mentioned think that guitars were not real musical
instruments.
> Just toys for women attempting to play a stringed instrument?

No. In Bach's day, the lute was by far the most popular musical
instrument at court, mainly for the same reasons the guitar is popular
today - it was a top-notch continuo (accompaniment) instrument, it could
play solo polyphonic music, and it could play melodic lines. The
lute-player was a major part of the Baroque orchestra.

In Mozart and Beethoven's day, the lute (and it's successor, the
guitar) fell out of favor, mainly because it was eclipsed by the piano for
accompaniment and solo-playing... although people continued to write for
it, it simply wasn't as popular as the lute had been.

--
Mark Zedaker
ch...@home.com

Jeff Blanks

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
"Stefan Secker" <Stefan...@idv-k.de> wrote:

> Post those Beethoven stuff in ngs where it belongs to (whereever that is),
> and i will keep as quiet as i can...
>
> > if you don't know anything about beethoven and the age he lived in, you
> > should keep quiet

The "Eroica" Symphony (#3) was banned at the University of Prague for
FORTY YEARS after its premiere because it was considered
_too_avant-garde_. So there.

--
"There is no excellent beauty which hath not some
strangeness in the proportion." --Francis Bacon

Catman the Great

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
> >Yngwie sucks. Dio is washed up.
> Your STUPID ass shows that u are too DUMB to know what REAL Music is.

Terry, for crying out loud, the guy said "classical music is pointless." Any
human being who boasts a level of ignorance that high must not be taken
seriously. And after all, if an idiot thinks DIO is washed up, perhaps it
reflects positively on him. Would you rather have a dedicated cult
following, or an army of pubescent morons filling your arena shows like
Metallica and Limp Biscuit?

With Regards,
Catman the Great

Jim Harper

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00

Jarl Sigurd wrote:

> Diotec wrote
> >Generally I Don't like classical music(maybe I haven't heard the right
> stuff
> >yet) OK some neo-classical stuff in Metal is nice and maybe Bartok once in
> >awhile
>
> Most of the quality recordings of classical music were made
> during the 1940's and 50's if not earlier.Todays classical musicians
> are to obsessed with technique and precision and lack the feel
> to execute it properly. Comparing todays classical musicians to
> the greats of the early 20th Century is like comparing Steve Vai
> to Jimmy Page. Guys like Wilhelm Furtwangler and Bruno Walter
> knew what they were doing. If you do want to check out some
> classical music played the way it should be, check these guys
> out.
>

> Jarl Sigurd

Jim Harper

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
Mozart is incredible. I love the Allegro assai movement from his piano concerto
Number 23 in A Major. Good stuff. Apparently Jason Becker wrote 'Air' after
listening to heaps of Mozart.

Ken & AnnMarie wrote:

> Well, I guess--PARTICULARLY since this is NOT a classical forum--I am just
> entitled to express my opinion.
> An I really like Mozart--mathematically precise and all.
> KEN
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> The Man On A Silver Mountain
> http://www.DioZine.com/
> The ONLY On Line Dio Fan Zine
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Diophantus <dioph...@nospam.org> wrote in message

> > On Sun, 30 Jan 2000 04:27:15 GMT, Dio_Fan (KEN) <bo...@ctaz.com> wrote:
> > >Personally, I perfer Motzart if you must speak of classical composers--I
> > >know this is a Dio list and Ronnie himself much prefers Bach, but one
> must
> > >speak his mind.

> > Mozart is a mental retard compared to Bach. His music is light, like
> > Cool Whip, and about as unpredictable.
> >

> > He did come up with a few catchy tunes, like that allegro movement from
> > the A major piano sonata, also known as Alla Turca. It's pretty cool,
> > but it's not deep.

Mike Hamm

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
Ah...

Actually, Tull helped expand my musical mind a bit to make it easier to get
into classical and jazz-- since more of an attention span is needed to get to
the paydirt of "complicated" music, for lack of a better word. Bartok, Elliot
Carter, Weather Report, Miles Davis, Holdsworth... you have to be able to
follow a thread to get a lot out of those musical entities.

Oops, that's not the kind of thread we were talking about.

Mike Hamm

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
Another thing, we can't hear music thru the ears of the times those composers lived.
While Bach was considered old-fashioned (apparently) he did some pretty out
stuff that must have turned a few heads. But I couldn't imagine freaking out
to the Eroica symph. or Rite of Spring, because of everything that came after
has change the context in which I listen.

People also freaked about Elvis & the Beatles and how they were going to ruin
society. Now their music, while great, has no shock value. The Beatles
*still* sound inventive, which is pretty amazing-- what did it sound like when
it was first coming out? Ie, how did it shift the context in which people
understood music?

I mean, it did, didn't it? So did Beethoven et al. We're just too far
downstream to see.

All IMVHO.

Mike

yiyo wrote:

> Matthew Leonhardt wrote:
>
> > Jim Harper wrote:
> >

> > > What I have often wondered about is what if the original composer's say Bach or
> > > Mozart were alive today what they would of thought of other people's
> > > intepretation of their music. Beethoven would have said no, no, you shithead it
> > > is played like so.
> > > Is what we hear people play, how the masters played it? Or is it a
> > > bastardisation of the original works?
> >

> > Actually, the question that's always interested me more is if these composers were
> > alive today, with the current technology and course of musical history, what would
> > they be writing and listening to? Here's my thoughts:
> >
> > Beethoven: Andrew Lloyd Weber beware.
> > Mozart: American Top Forty.....every week.
> > Bach: alt.music.bach
> >
> > Matt
>

> Didn't the composers mentioned think that guitars were not real musical instruments.
> Just toys for women attempting to play a stringed instrument?

*TeRRy*

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
What a DUMB thread!!!

Next month when MAGICA <DIO's New Album> comes out, you people will be
saying:

Why Bach and not Beethoven?
It is DIO who ROCKS!!!

***DIO RULES***

TeRRy

--
---
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

H.V.C. anime is for losers

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
pgrec*s <r.k.p....@student.tue.nl> wrote in message

> if you don't know anything about beethoven and the age he lived in, you
> should keep quiet

Why, how old are you? Shut the hell up.

Here's a new discussion for all these NGs: WHY ARE YOU SUCH A FUCKING LOSER?
I guess you like to imagine that you're some 16th century fag, often.
--
High Voltage Cable; fuck you, pussy
AIM: JoshCable

Well, I think that you're headed for a whole lot of trouble
Yeah, I think that you're headed for a whole lot of trouble
Yeah, you know that you're headed for a lot of trouble
If you take your whiskey home

H.V.C. anime is for losers

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
Jeff Blanks <jbl...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> "Stefan Secker" <Stefan...@idv-k.de> wrote:
> > Post those Beethoven stuff in ngs where it belongs to (whereever that
is),
> > and i will keep as quiet as i can...
> The "Eroica" Symphony (#3) was banned at the University of Prague for
> FORTY YEARS after its premiere because it was considered
> _too_avant-garde_. So there.

How fucking gay. Any reason for a symphony to be banned is dumb. Symphonic
music is the absolute tamest of tame. Shit.

Why is this being posted to rock and guitar NGs? The entire idea of a rock
band is a colletion of music makers that stand out on their own. Symphonics
are ok, sorta. But the entire idea of classical is just so fucking
antiquated, there's really no point in discussing it. There's really no
point in even listening to it. I pity my best friend on Earth, who goes out
of his way to scratch up these lame ass fifth rate recent composers like
Michael Kamen and Jerry Goldsmith.

All classical is just pointless compared to rock, says me, the ultimate
music judge.

Yngwie sucks. Dio is washed up.

*TeRRy*

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
In article <94938104...@news.tir.com>, "H.V.C. anime is for
losers" <jtc...@tir.com> wrote:

From some Dumb BITCH that would suggest that:

>Yngwie sucks. Dio is washed up.

Your STUPID ass shows that u are too DUMB to know what REAL Music is.

As is evident by your retarded sig:

Well, I think that you're headed for a whole lot of trouble
Yeah, I think that you're headed for a whole lot of trouble
Yeah, you know that you're headed for a lot of trouble
If you take your whiskey home

One would think that u could come up with a better selection than
THAT...u fucking WIMP!!!

TeRRy
--
---

*TeRRy*

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00

DLR ROCKx...but - u SUCK!!!

TeRRy
--
---

yiyo

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
Thnks for clarifying.... : )

Mark Zedaker wrote:

> In article <3895D96A...@ot.com>, yi...@ot.com wrote:
>

> > Didn't the composers mentioned think that guitars were not real musical
> instruments.
> > Just toys for women attempting to play a stringed instrument?

Stefan Secker

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
Not sorry to disagree....

The main DUMB thing about this topic is that you cross post this to all
those ngs that IMO will find Bach and Beethoven as interesting as death, at
least i do....

Don't you know how to reply only to those ngs where this topic bleongs
(whatever ng that is)....????

Stefan

> Nothing dumb about it, that only entered the equation when you came
> along.

Killans - First And Last And Always

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
In article <87695l$292$1...@passat.ndh.net>,

Stefan Secker <Stefan...@idv-k.de> wrote:
>Not sorry to disagree....
>
>The main DUMB thing about this topic is that you cross post this to all
>those ngs that IMO will find Bach and Beethoven as interesting as death, at
>least i do....
>
>Don't you know how to reply only to those ngs where this topic bleongs
>(whatever ng that is)....????

As you're always telling other people (in defence of your own inane
postings) - if you don't like it, don't read it.

Mike
--
Mike Collins
mcol...@nyx.net

Darkhop

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
H.V.C. anime is for losers <jtc...@tir.spam.com> wrote in message

> Jeff Blanks <jbl...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > "Stefan Secker" <Stefan...@idv-k.de> wrote:
> > > Post those Beethoven stuff in ngs where it belongs to (whereever that
> is),
> > > and i will keep as quiet as i can...
> > The "Eroica" Symphony (#3) was banned at the University of Prague for
> > FORTY YEARS after its premiere because it was considered
> > _too_avant-garde_. So there.
>
> How fucking gay.

What an interesting statement.

> Any reason for a symphony to be banned is dumb. Symphonic
> music is the absolute tamest of tame. Shit.

Uh, context? Eroica was early 19th century. It was the newest of the new at
that time.

> Why is this being posted to rock and guitar NGs? The entire idea of a
rock
> band is a colletion of music makers that stand out on their own.
Symphonics
> are ok, sorta. But the entire idea of classical is just so fucking
> antiquated, there's really no point in discussing it.

In the context of all these ng's, maybe, but then you say this:

> There's really no point in even listening to it.

Speak for yourself, thanks.

/JSH

Greg Kristianson

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00

What a DUMB reply!!! Wasn't Dio's show relegated to the Vegas showrooms
years ago? Go don your studded leather appearal and play some air guitar
to your old Krokus LP's or something.

Grp

sdavmor

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
I'd forgotten all about *teRRy* since I haven't been in the Dio or
Sabbath ngs in over a year.

Nice to see that some personalities and obsessions don't change <grin>
--
Steven Davies-Morris (SDM) -- A 21st Century Schizoid Man
Personal: http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Island/1274
Systems Theory: http://systemstheory.net/
NP: Mr. Rogers on PBS

"Greg Kristianson" <gkri...@ucalgary.ca> wrote in message

Diotec

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
Greg Kristianson <gkri...@ucalgary.ca> skrev i en
nyhedsmeddelelse:Pine.A41.4.10.100020...@acs6.acs.ucalgary

.ca...

> What a DUMB reply!!! Wasn't Dio's show relegated to the Vegas showrooms
> years ago? Go don your studded leather appearal and play some air guitar
> to your old Krokus LP's or something.
>
> Grp

Hey what wrong with old Krokus stuff!!!!!

-Torben- NP Special Venture - same
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
For every moment of truth, there's confusion in Life
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

*TeRRy*

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
In article
<Pine.A41.4.10.100020...@acs6.acs.ucalgary.ca>, Greg
Kristianson <gkri...@ucalgary.ca> wrote:

> What a DUMB reply!!! Wasn't Dio's show relegated to the Vegas showrooms
>years ago? Go don your studded leather appearal and play some air guitar
>to your old Krokus LP's or something.
>
> Grp

ONLY the STARs who are WORLD RENOWNED, are INVITED to play Las Vegas.
And if your DUMB ASS still thinks that The GREAT Master RONNIE JAMES DIO
is into >> studded leather appearal....Then u have NO IDEA what-so-ever
about His Music. Ronnie is revered by all of the people in rock. He has
been around longer than most all of then ever could hope for. RJD has
the staying power that most other rock performers will never have The
TALENT to obtain. Go back to your Hanson records, Fool!!!

***DIO RULES***

TeRRy

--
---

*TeRRy*

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
In article <8761vd$lc4$1...@nntp1.atl.mindspring.net>, "Catman the Great"
<Paradi...@catloverREMOVE.com> wrote:

>> >Yngwie sucks. Dio is washed up.
>> Your STUPID ass shows that u are too DUMB to know what REAL Music is.
>

>Terry, for crying out loud, the guy said "classical music is pointless."
>Any
>human being who boasts a level of ignorance that high must not be taken
>seriously. And after all, if an idiot thinks DIO is washed up, perhaps it
>reflects positively on him. Would you rather have a dedicated cult
>following, or an army of pubescent morons filling your arena shows like
>Metallica and Limp Biscuit?
>
>With Regards,
>Catman the Great

Are you NOT aware that RONNIE JAMES DIO & Co...used to fill the Giant
halls that Metallica now does. I do not include Limp DipShit because
they will be a bad memory next year. There was a time, where I saw RJD
in some of the biggest areas available. Such as Madison Square and The
LA Forum. It is too bad that people lost sight of what REAL Music is all
about, and decided that it was more important to settle down and mature
gracefully....grow old and DIE!!!

Last Friday I went to a Def Leppard show at Purdue University.
Remember that of Vivian is with them....
It was a kick ass show, but nothing close to what a DIO CONCERT is.
This was NOT a place filled with pubescent kids, nor was the Metallica
New Year零 Eve show that I saw in Detroit. These were the youth of today
who are the same age of the people who experienced DIO零 arena
shows...and of course there were a few older people there also *SMILE*

I would hate to have to deal with getting good seats to see Ronnie in
such places, but I also remember what a spectacular show he put on in
the larger venues. Now we are blessed with the opportunity to see a
WORLD-CLASS STAR perform for us, in an intimate atmosphere. But the idea
that Ronnie could possibly do another arena tour, still excites me. I
would like to see this, as I believe that by doing so, Ronnie would
become even more inspired to reach even greater heights to entertain His
FANs!!! I believe that if Ronnie零 old fans were to be made aware of
what a GREAT show he puts on, we would be seeing him right back in the
large venues. I expect that by the 3rd leg of The MAGICA Tour, we WILL
be seeing RJD playing in somewhat larger venues. So when you get the
chance to see him BEFORE this happens - DO IT!!!...As you WILL be SoRRy
if you DON'T!!!...and TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS TO GO!!!

Catman the Great

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
> Are you NOT aware that RONNIE JAMES DIO & Co...used to fill the Giant
> halls that Metallica now does.

Of course I know, but back in the early 80's heavy metal had a huge cult
following (around a million people in the US I think), it wasn't about who
was on the top 20, or who had their video on MTV. Those were true fans of
Ronnie's music and those who appriciated his talent. If Ronnie's videos and
music was all over MTV today, we'd have a huge number of idiots polluting
his concerts.

>It is too bad that people lost sight of what REAL Music is all
> about, and decided that it was more important to settle down and mature
> gracefully....grow old and DIE!!!

Indeed.

> But the idea
> that Ronnie could possibly do another arena tour, still excites me.

Isn't he still playing bigger places in Europe? There was a thread a while
back that mentioned 5,000 in Sweden, I think.

>I would like to see this, as I believe that by doing so, Ronnie would
> become even more inspired to reach even greater heights to entertain His

> FANs!!! I believe that if Ronnieąs old fans were to be made aware of

> what a GREAT show he puts on, we would be seeing him right back in the
> large venues. I expect that by the 3rd leg of The MAGICA Tour, we WILL
> be seeing RJD playing in somewhat larger venues.

Anything's possible. People who lost interest due to substandard releases of
late, would probably come back if Magica is as good as it's been reported to
be. To see large venue metal shows again would certainly take me back...

To Ronnie's Domination of the World in 2000,
Catman the Great

Catman the Great

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
> The DDT has one of the shows he did at a local club. It is called UP
> CLOSE. Get it if you want to hear a sample of what is to come!!!

Hopefully not sounding stupid, but what exactly is the DDT?

Panurge

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
"H.V.C. anime is for losers" <jtc...@tir.com> wrote:

> Symphonic music is the absolute tamest of tame. Shit.

A friend of mine likes to say that most people have _no_idea_ of how
_terrifying_ a symphony orchestra can be in the right hands. I guess
you're Exhibit A supporting that idea. Now go out and listen to Arnold
Schoenberg's Variations For Orchestra, and keep telling yourself: *This
music was written in _1928_.

> Why is this being posted to rock and guitar NGs? The entire idea of a rock
> band is a colletion of music makers that stand out on their own. Symphonics
> are ok, sorta. But the entire idea of classical is just so fucking

> antiquated, there's really no point in discussing it. There's really no

> point in even listening to it.

How about this: It's good music? (Or do you only have one parameter for
determining what's good, like most metal and punk fans?)

> I pity my best friend on Earth, who goes out
> of his way to scratch up these lame ass fifth rate recent composers like
> Michael Kamen and Jerry Goldsmith.

If they're fifth-rate, who's first-rate?

> All classical is just pointless compared to rock, says me, the ultimate
> music judge.

This sounds like a bit of self-aware irony, but you don't seem capable of that.

Gatt

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00

> ONLY the STARs who are WORLD RENOWNED, are INVITED to play Las Vegas.
> And if your DUMB ASS still thinks that The GREAT Master RONNIE JAMES DIO
> is into >> studded leather appearal....Then u have NO IDEA what-so-ever
> about His Music. Ronnie is revered by all of the people in rock. He has
> been around longer than most all of then ever could hope for. RJD has
> the staying power that most other rock performers will never have The
> TALENT to obtain. Go back to your Hanson records, Fool!!!

WHAT'S wIth All the CAPS, CracKheaD?!

> ***DIO RULES***
>
> TeRRy
>

> >On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, *TeRRy* wrote:
> >
> >> What a DUMB thread!!!
> >>
> >> Next month when MAGICA <DIO's New Album> comes out, you people will be
> >> saying:
> >>
> >> Why Bach and not Beethoven?
> >> It is DIO who ROCKS!!!
> >>

> >> ***DIO RULES***
> >>
> >> TeRRy
> >>
> >> --
> >> ---
> >> +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
> >> The lover of life`s not a sinner
> >> The ending is just a beginner
> >> The closer you get to the meaning
> >> The sooner you know that you`re dreaming
> >> ***Ronnie James Dio***
> >> +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
> >>

> --
> ---

Chris Gattman
"The sky is humming and my motor thunders..." -Floater

Jim Harper

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
Nothing dumb about it, that only entered the equation when you came
along.

Jim Harper

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
My understanding is Bach wasn't really all that popular in his lifetime and even after his
death because his music was criticised for being too complex by the people of the day.
Before, Bach the fugue was something that was used really sparingly.

Mike Hamm wrote:

> > Didn't the composers mentioned think that guitars were not real musical instruments.
> > Just toys for women attempting to play a stringed instrument?

*TeRRy*

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
In article <877qgs$9mn$1...@nntp3.atl.mindspring.net>, "Catman the Great"
<Paradi...@catloverREMOVE.com> wrote:

>To Ronnie's Domination of the World in 2000

TOTALLY Agreed!!!

Ronnie was playing larger venues in Europe last summer, but that was in
conjunction with the festivals that had several other popular acts.

The DDT has one of the shows he did at a local club. It is called UP
CLOSE. Get it if you want to hear a sample of what is to come!!!

UP CLOSE 99

DIO - Numberg, Germany - June 17,1999
Unknown Venue???

CD #1
Time 0:00
TeRRyšs TradeMark Intro
0.) Dream On *BONUS*
1.) Evil Intro
2.) Eviloution
3.) Straight Thru The Heart
4.) Donšt Talk To Strangers
5.) Holy Diver
6.) Drum Solo
7.) Heaven and Hell
8.) Mob Rules
9.) Rock nš Roll Children
10.) I Speed At Night
11.) Stargazer
12.) Stargazer-Guitar Solo
13.) Stargazer-Pt 2
14.) King of Rock nš Roll
15.) Last In Line

CD # 2
Time 0:00
1.) Rainbow In The Dark
2.) MOTSM
3.) Long Live Rock nš Roll
4.) MOTSM - Pt 2
5.) We Rock
Bonus *STARS* - Japan Live Aid 4/10 1987
--
---

*TeRRy*

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
In article <877vjq$i6r$1...@nntp6.atl.mindspring.net>, "Catman the Great"
<Paradi...@catloverREMOVE.com> wrote:

>> The DDT has one of the shows he did at a local club. It is called UP
>> CLOSE. Get it if you want to hear a sample of what is to come!!!
>

>Hopefully not sounding stupid, but what exactly is the DDT?
>
>With Regards,
>Catman the Great

The DDT is a movement that I initiated.
It is where we take DIO Concert recordings and Re-MASTER them, and send
them to the members of the DDT. This is completely FREE!!!
This is so that we can remove the profit that the bootleggers were
charging for inferior recordings that took money away from RJD.
We make the BEST show available to Ronnie零 FANs at NO COST!!!

or DVT.
This helps to notify you when a new release happens, and also helps us
track who the seeds are currently with.

To join the D.D.T. List, write to:
JUNIO...@webtv.net

Past shows that I have done, and some future recordings and all the info
you might need about the DDT, can be found at:
The DDT site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~theddt/dio.html

There is also a DIO VIDEO TREE <D.V.T.>
If interested in this, write to:
Slaz...@aol.com
The DVT site:
http://members.aol.com/WeRockVDDT/index.html

By getting on the mailing list, you will find a lot of GREAT people
there, and access to the best DIO Music of all time.
Let me know if I can help you out, in any way.
Rock On!!!

Mike Smith

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00
"Panurge" <jbl...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> "H.V.C. anime is for losers" <jtc...@tir.com> wrote:
>
> > Symphonic music is the absolute tamest of tame. Shit.
>
> A friend of mine likes to say that most people have _no_idea_ of how
> _terrifying_ a symphony orchestra can be in the right hands. I guess
> you're Exhibit A supporting that idea. Now go out and listen to Arnold
> Schoenberg's Variations For Orchestra, and keep telling yourself: *This
> music was written in _1928_.

And if Neppie ever heard "Pictures At An Exhibition" or "Night on Bald
Mountain" live in concert, his head would probably fucking explode. You
might want to stay away from Prokofiev, too, Nep, unless you've got a change
of underwear with you.

--
Mike Smith

There are perhaps 5% of the population that simply *can't* think.
There are another 5% who *can*, and *do*.
The remaining 90% *can* think, but *don't*.
-- R. A. Heinlein

Rich Diakun

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00

jtc...@tir.com wrote: <<All classical is just pointless compared to rock,

says me, the ultimate music judge.>>

Hmm.... without Beethoven, would you have rock? Although I don't remember
the specific piece, I do vaguely recall having found in some reseach that
one of the middle movements of one of Beethoven's earlier symphonies is
considered to be the very first written appearance of what we now consider
12-bar blues.

Oh yeah, and without classical music, would "Uncle Chuck" Berry have had to
say "Roll over Sinatra, tell Bing Crosby the news"? Naah... it just
wouldn't have worked.

So, YOU are the ultimate music judge. I guess that explains why 90% of the
music churned out by record companies these days has so little depth or
meaning.

- Rich

NP: Miles Davis: "Kind Of Blue"

Johanns Fernandez

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00

Mike Sandler <smsa...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> > "Jarl Sigurd" <jarls...@geocities.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > So Alex Masi is back. Good thing he's sticking to instrumentals
instead
> > > of writing songs. My question is, why do all these shredders always
do
> > > Bach. Just once I'd like to hear one of these guys tackle some
> > > Beethoven for a change.
>
> Bach's music has an amazing ability to sound good in any style or on any
> instrument. LvB's is more bound to the forms and instruments he used.

You said it, man...Skid Row rocks!!!

...sorry, just can't help it!!!

Johanns

Rick

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00

Well
I don't think this sucks at all, have you checked our Alex Masi's versions
of Bach?
they have some cool audio samples at www.lionmusic.com obviously the guy has
got an amazing technique.

L M RECORDS

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00
check out the new prog metal release Another Dimension from Mattsson,
a Finnish act fronted by singer Bjorn Lodin (sound like the kingdom Come
guy) and guitarist Lars Eric Mattsson - mindblowing stuff!
http://www.guitar9.com/guitarmusic9/anotherdim.html

Mike Sandler

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00
Along these lines, you might want to check out Eliot Fisk's recording of 24
Caprices by Paganini. This is just on a rarefied plane. If Fisk ever picked
up an electric guitar, Petrucci, Malmsteen, Van Halen, Vai, and all the rest
of the monster shredders would be out of jobs.

Mike Sandler