nDMBc Tipping ettiquette question

Craig

Feb 11, 2002, 10:41:53 PM2/11/02
Are you supposed to tip pizza/chinese food delivery guys? When I do give
a tip they take it like they expected it, but when I don't they walk
away like they didn't expect it... And the prices are more for delivery
than pick-up, which makes me think it's built in... What's the deal?

--
Craig
http://amdm.cjb.net

_______________________________

Kristin

Feb 11, 2002, 10:46:07 PM2/11/02
>Are you supposed to tip pizza/chinese food delivery guys? When I do give
>a tip they take it like they expected it, but when I don't they walk
>away like they didn't expect it... And the prices are more for delivery
>than pick-up, which makes me think it's built in... What's the deal?

Yes, you are supposed to tip them. My brother worked as a pizza delivery guy
one summer and it's actually pretty hard. (Especially when people have really
hard to find houses.) It's common courtesy. They brought the food to you. It's
just like at a restaurant. You don't walk back to the kitchen and get it
yourself, right? It's the same concept.

Niki Winters

Feb 11, 2002, 10:48:48 PM2/11/02
It's sort of expected. They're not making server salary (which was about
$2.13 an hour, plus tips, last I checked), but if you take into
consideration that they're driving their own car, aren't reimbursed for gas,
etc, it's nice to give them a little something. But it doesn't have to be X
percent of your total bill or anything, just a buck or two.

"Craig" <pat...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

dwm

Feb 11, 2002, 10:47:15 PM2/11/02
I actually generally tip them more. I tip them 15 - 20% because I figure
they are risking their lives by getting on the road to bring my lazy ass
food. I believe what you do for others will one day be done for you.

Doug

"Craig" <pat...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

SuperBondoLoveMachine

Feb 11, 2002, 10:51:38 PM2/11/02
McDonalds brings you food, but you don't tip them ($1 to Mr. Pink)

--
"so please have your people contact my people, I'll have my people reach
your other people who should in turn speak to some people who are not

Common Sense tells you how to reply to me....

Mr. Sparkle

Feb 11, 2002, 10:56:25 PM2/11/02
Yes.
I worked as a delivery guy for a couple of months.
I got paid $3.00/hour plus tips. I usually give the delivery guy 2 or 3 bucks.

-Matt B

Kristin

Feb 11, 2002, 10:58:46 PM2/11/02
>McDonalds brings you food, but you don't tip them ($1 to Mr. Pink)

They don't bring it out to your table.

Niki Winters

Feb 11, 2002, 11:00:55 PM2/11/02
Really? Hmm. Everybody I've ever known who's delivered pizza (and it
seemed like, for a while in HS, all of my friends worked at Domino's) made
standard minimum wage, plus tips.

"Mr. Sparkle" <mrsalt1...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Jeff Pilcicki

Feb 11, 2002, 11:05:11 PM2/11/02
i agree. i haven't worked in that field, but, i'd always give $2 to the
pizza guy.

Jeff

Kristin

Feb 11, 2002, 11:03:03 PM2/11/02
>Really? Hmm. Everybody I've ever known who's delivered pizza (and it
>seemed like, for a while in HS, all of my friends worked at Domino's) made
>standard minimum wage, plus tips.

Yeah... that's how it is in WA where my brother delivered pizzas... Strange.

SuperBondoLoveMachine

Feb 11, 2002, 11:02:56 PM2/11/02
So, if I go to McDonalds...the fries aren't up, so they have to bring it
to me...I should give them a buck?

Just for the record...I am a decent tipper (I was just taking the Mr.
Pink arguement)

Mr. Sparkle

Feb 11, 2002, 11:06:31 PM2/11/02
I worked for a small shop. Maybe the chains are different??

-Matt B

"Niki Winters" <nwin...@nc.rr.com> wrote in message

Kristin

Feb 11, 2002, 11:10:18 PM2/11/02
>I worked for a small shop. Maybe the chains are different??

What state do you live in? I know that different states have different laws
regarding minimum wage.

Kristin

Feb 11, 2002, 11:12:39 PM2/11/02

>So, if I go to McDonalds...the fries aren't up, so they have to bring it
>to me...I should give them a buck?
>
>Just for the record...I am a decent tipper (I was just taking the Mr.
>Pink arguement)

LOL... that would be funny, wouldn't it? I guess it doesn't apply to *all*
situations, but the general rule that they are doing you a service by bringing
it to you still applies.

John Reece

Feb 11, 2002, 11:14:46 PM2/11/02
I usually tip 50%. That way they remember me..and are prompt and wont
spit on my pizza next time.

"Craig" <pat...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Mr. Sparkle

Feb 11, 2002, 11:17:28 PM2/11/02
NJ.
I was paid under the table.
That's how they got away with it.

-Matt B

"Kristin" <adpik...@aol.comm> wrote in message

Jaclyn

Feb 11, 2002, 11:34:06 PM2/11/02
yeah but people working at mcdonalds are paid hourly, like 7-10 dollars
usually. I'm a food server, I make 2.13 an hour, basically we get paid
every two weeks and the average paycheck falls somewhere between 20-40
bucks. I haven't made anything late, people are being cheap assholes.
sorry...this is a bitter subject lately.

"SuperBondoLoveMachine" <soulphis...@yahoo.commonsense> wrote in
message news:3C6893F0...@yahoo.commonsense...

Jaclyn

Feb 11, 2002, 11:35:58 PM2/11/02
down here I always see signs for 15/hr. but maybe they're telling you what
you could make when people tip, I don't know....

SuperBondoLoveMachine

Feb 11, 2002, 11:48:22 PM2/11/02
You should watch the opening scene to Reservior Dogs.

I am not saying that you are a bad server, because I don't know you. But
most servers now are complete idiots, rude as hell...not to mention
slow. They forget they have to EARN the tip. If you are a good server, I
tip...if not, too bad...you should look for a new line of work because I
am not going to pay your salary if you don't earn it.

Patrick

Feb 12, 2002, 12:23:44 AM2/12/02
apparently we assume all servers are cheap and homeless....Some actually like
their job....
~Patrick
'The more people I meet, the more I like my dog'

Patrick

Feb 12, 2002, 12:24:19 AM2/12/02
ewww lol

Kitten

Feb 12, 2002, 1:43:21 AM2/12/02
Kristin is correct...I actually saw a website a while ago, and it stated
that you should actually tip them the same amount you would tip in a
restaurant, as it was prepared for you, and being brought to you.

--
Kitten
=====================================

"Kristin" <adpik...@aol.comm> wrote in message

mike vernal

Feb 12, 2002, 2:33:06 AM2/12/02
Craig <pat...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Are you supposed to tip pizza/chinese food delivery guys? When I do give
> a tip they take it like they expected it, but when I don't they walk
> away like they didn't expect it... And the prices are more for delivery
> than pick-up, which makes me think it's built in... What's the deal?

Yes. 20%, as usual.

-mike

Sunny

Feb 12, 2002, 12:16:38 PM2/12/02

"Jaclyn" <fireda...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> yeah but people working at mcdonalds are paid hourly, like 7-10

I worked at McD's for about 6 weeks when I was in college.. was desperate
for a job to save money for a trip and couldn't find anything else (college
town). That's the only job I've ever quit in the middle of my shift.. suck,
suck, suck!

sometimes I can still feel the McGrease on me.. ick..
Sandy

Adam E

Feb 12, 2002, 1:36:39 PM2/12/02
That's rediculous. You could be eating 150% of the pizza you are now for
the same money.
--
Adam E
"Sometimes you wake up, and things just aren't going your way,

"John Reece" <cpt_...@attbi.com> wrote in message

MJHamilton

Feb 12, 2002, 1:50:13 PM2/12/02
I always tip the pizza guy (or gal). It's common courtesy...they got in
their car, used their gas, and drove your pizza to your door. They deserve
a little something.

Jill

"dwm" <d...@dwm.com> wrote in message

Brian S.

Feb 12, 2002, 2:08:19 PM2/12/02
where we order they charge an extra buck for delivery which goes to the
guy......... but i always give him 3-5 bucks more

brian

There'll be two dates on your tombstone
And all your friends will read 'em
But all that's gonna matter is that little dash between 'em..."

Kevin Welch

Check out my tape trading list below.
http://www.gdlists.org/lists/d/deadh...@home.com
.shtml

"MJHamilton" <jil...@knology.network> wrote in message

Kristin

Feb 12, 2002, 2:13:29 PM2/12/02
>where we order they charge an extra buck for delivery which goes to the
>guy..

yes, for gas

>... but i always give him 3-5 bucks more

good :)

Craig

Feb 12, 2002, 3:00:41 PM2/12/02
I know that they put out effort and provide a service for me, that
wasn't my question. With the higher delivery prices, I thought maybe it
was built in. Guess not.

Travolta

Feb 12, 2002, 3:15:12 PM2/12/02
Here is my take on it, and I understand everyone's opinion. I see both
sides of it...but when people complain about pizza guys not making X
amount of money and etc...well, they are always free to change jobs. If
you make $2.12 an hour plus $2 average per tip....and just figure you do
5 deliveries per hour, you make $12.12 an hour. Plus the extra dollar
that most places charge (if that is per delivery, then they make an
extra $5 per hour....$17.12 an hour..although I am not sure how much of
their tips they get to claim, etc)

Now someone that makes $5.50-$6.50 an hour working retail, standing on
their feet for 30+ hours a week isn't going to give them much sympathy.

bigmeow

Feb 12, 2002, 4:35:06 PM2/12/02
$2.12 an hour plus $2 average per tip....and just figure you do
5 deliveries per hour, you make $12.12 an hour.

Looks good on paper. The fact is, when I was a pizza delivery driver, I made minimum wage, and few people ever tipped, even when I delivered mondo-sized party pizzas. Reimbursement for mileage was a pittance. I never got rich delivering pizzas!

It was kind of a fun job at the time, though addresses could often be hard to find, especially in apartment complexes. Tip those people! You usually pay most of a twenty for your pizza, let them keep the change.
 bigmeow  >^-..-^<

GRJ987

Feb 12, 2002, 5:21:39 PM2/12/02
coming from a delivery driver for over 4 years.... got paid 7 an hour cash,
plus tips. The amount you tip depends on the order and how far you have to
drive. at least 3 bux is good...but if a pie costs 8 bux, a 10 is fine. The
people who tip a dollar, well, you'll find that no driver would want to go back
there. As far as speedy service goes, I used to plan out my routes (say i had
4 deilveries)...i'd deliver to the people i knew who were better tippers and
the rest afterwards. Rude? not really. I just take care of the people who
take care of me.
GRJ

http://www.grjmusic.com

Craig

Feb 12, 2002, 5:50:29 PM2/12/02
It may be a little different in my situation. I live in a suite of 6
people, and I'm always the one that makes the order (probably twice
every three weeks). The place was started and is still run by students
from my school, and they deliver to my campus a lot. So it's not out of
the way, and it isn't hard to find. I always give $2 plus whatever
change I would get back, and our order is always between $10-$20.

--
Craig
http://amdm.cjb.net

_______________________________

Brian S.

Feb 12, 2002, 6:03:11 PM2/12/02
jsut like tipping at a really crowded bar or club, i always get 2 drinks and
hand the guy a 5 or 10 depending where i am at and everytime i go to get
another drink he comes to me first....

brian s.

Check out my tape trading list below.
http://www.gdlists.org/lists/d/deadh...@home.com
.shtml

"GRJ987" <grj...@aol.com> wrote in message

Huff

Feb 12, 2002, 6:00:43 PM2/12/02
I served tables for a few years, and it was always considered good manners to
leave 15%, 20% if the service is good.

Huff
"I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect."

http://hometown.aol.com/ukka96/myhomepage/profile.html
IM: ukka96

Craig

Feb 12, 2002, 6:18:44 PM2/12/02
Not tipping at a restaurant is rude (unless called for); I don't know
anyone who doesn't. My question was about pizza places, where the prices
for delivery are higher than for pick up.

--
Craig
http://amdm.cjb.net

_______________________________

Brian S.

Feb 12, 2002, 6:42:46 PM2/12/02
craig.... what does the menu say? one side pick up one side for take out? or
add certain percentage for delivery. jsut wondering

brian s.

Check out my tape trading list below.
http://www.gdlists.org/lists/d/deadh...@home.com
.shtml

"Craig" <pat...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

lostinadmboutro

Feb 12, 2002, 6:47:09 PM2/12/02
20%? Fuck that. Don't listen to the high falootin ivy leaguer. DDDDouble the
sales tax.

--
There is no human condition so desperate that it cannot be made worse by the
presence of an officer of the law.

-->Mark Twain (Paraphrase)

--==\~^~/==--

Grain of Salt Added For your consumption.

mike vernal <ver...@fas.harvard.edu> wrote in message

Craig

Feb 12, 2002, 6:51:49 PM2/12/02
There are a lot of "pick-up specials." Many items have another,
secondary price listed under them for pick-up.

Jaclyn

Feb 12, 2002, 7:13:17 PM2/12/02
Yeah, I've seen it......didn't like it. :)
yeah I agree with you though, because alot of times when I go out to, since
I really notice these things now, the service is not all that great. But I
always try to do the best I can, and I'll run my ass off for people, then
when they leave like 1 or 2 bucks, it kind of makes you lose your
motivation. Like the other day, these 2 adult ladies left me 55 cents on a
35 dollar ticket.......I tried to think of anything I could have possibly
done wrong, or any way I could have pissed them off...nothing. Oh
well.......I'm actually suppossed to be working tonight but someone else
came in and wanted to work so I said sure, and now I'm safe at home.

"SuperBondoLoveMachine" <soulphis...@yahoo.commonsense> wrote in
message news:3C689E96...@yahoo.commonsense...

Niki Winters

Feb 12, 2002, 7:37:53 PM2/12/02
>Like the other day, these 2 adult ladies left me 55 cents on a 35 dollar
ticket.......

Doesn't it suck when that happens, Jaclyn? There are people out there who
have no idea that servers only make $2.13 an hour - they think tips are like
bonuses. (When my sister went to Germany on a fellowship in the early 90's,
she was warned against tipping too much and was told that leaving the amount
that she would leave at a restaurant in the US would be viewed as some
show-offy American thing.)

I'm an extremely good tipper, unless the server's rude.

"Jaclyn" <fireda...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Niki Winters

Feb 12, 2002, 7:40:43 PM2/12/02
Where did you get the idea that I think that "all servers are cheap and
homeless"?

"Patrick" <aleshi...@aol.com> wrote in message

Craig

Feb 12, 2002, 8:05:46 PM2/12/02
Depends on your sales tax... Here it's 8%, so doubling it gives us 16%,
very close to the standard. If your tax is only 4 or 5%, you might want
to add a dollar or round up.

--
Craig
http://amdm.cjb.net

_______________________________

John Reece

Feb 12, 2002, 8:32:11 PM2/12/02
I always tip 15 - 20 % for dinner. Unless they do a REALLY horrible
job. It takes alot for me to not tip. And there is no sales tax here..

"Craig" <pat...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

GRJ987

Feb 12, 2002, 9:20:00 PM2/12/02
>My question was about pizza places, where the prices
>for delivery are higher than for pick up.

we had free delivery
GRJ

http://www.grjmusic.com

Travolta

Feb 12, 2002, 9:33:28 PM2/12/02
Most of the time I go out, my bill will only be like $15, so I leave
about $3-$4 bucks tip, but there are times when I haven't left anything
at all, like when the waitress only checks on our table once in over an
hour, then stops by and says "I am going home now, another waitress will
take care of you...can I have my tip now?"

Sunny

Feb 12, 2002, 10:51:44 PM2/12/02

"Travolta" <soulphis...@yahoo.commonsense> wrote in message

> Most of the time I go out, my bill will only be like $15, so I leave
> about $3-$4 bucks tip, but there are times when I haven't left anything
> at all, like when the waitress only checks on our table once in over an
> hour, then stops by and says "I am going home now, another waitress will
> take care of you...can I have my tip now?"

do you eat at denny's a lot? :-)

Sandy

Jaclyn

Feb 12, 2002, 10:57:05 PM2/12/02
someone actually said that?
then again the other night these two ladies sat at a table....they went
through like 3 servers they were there so long.
it got transfered to me because the one guy got cut, then I transfered it to
someone else, but I just moved the check under his name and let him take the
tip even though he didn't have to do anything for them....but I wanted to
go. I ended up being there long enough to take their credit
card...hopefully they didn't leave a huge tip or anything.

Jaclyn

Feb 12, 2002, 10:58:16 PM2/12/02
wow, where do you live?

"John Reece" <cpt_...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Travolta

Feb 12, 2002, 10:57:59 PM2/12/02
This has happened at both Macado's (kind of like Applebees) and Hooters.

We don't even have a Denny's.

mike vernal

Feb 12, 2002, 11:04:57 PM2/12/02
lostinadmboutro <djs...@saltmsn.com> wrote:
> 20%? Fuck that. Don't listen to the high falootin ivy leaguer. DDDDouble
> the sales tax.

My suggested gratuity rate has something to do with my educational institution?

Not that I mind, I just don't understand how it relates to my high falootin ivy
league school.

-mike

Niki Winters

Feb 12, 2002, 9:54:28 PM2/12/02
Man, I'd have gotten fired in about two and a half seconds if I ever pulled
that when I was a server.

Niki Winters

Feb 12, 2002, 11:03:09 PM2/12/02
Macado's in Blacksburg, VA?

"Travolta" <soulphis...@yahoo.commonsense> wrote in message

Josh

Feb 13, 2002, 12:34:19 AM2/13/02
Whatever happened to waiters and waitresses? Now everyone is a server. That
word just doesn't sit right with me for whatever reason.

Josh

VertigoLand http://members.aol.com/VertigoMan
Me (the online diary) http://members.aol.com/vertigoman/me
CDR Trading:
http://members.aol.com/vertigoman/me/bootlist.html

Sunny

Feb 13, 2002, 12:59:33 AM2/13/02

"Josh" <verti...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Whatever happened to waiters and waitresses? Now everyone is a server.
That
> word just doesn't sit right with me for whatever reason.

being an on-again off-again server myself, (currently on), I prefer that
term over waitress.. I'm not sure exactly why.. I think it just sounds
better.. gender neutral.. I dunno..

SYHDG

Feb 13, 2002, 7:10:49 AM2/13/02

>Are you supposed to tip pizza/chinese food delivery guys? When I do give
>a tip they take it like they expected it, but when I don't they walk
>away like they didn't expect it... And the prices are more for delivery
>than pick-up, which makes me think it's built in... What's the deal?

I generally give them a few bucks. However; if I go to pay for it and
they ask if I want my change back, I will just say yes and they will not get
any tip.

My trading site http://members.aol.com/syhdg/mainpageframe.html

Kristin

Feb 13, 2002, 12:24:03 PM2/13/02
>wow, where do you live?

>And there is no sales tax here..

I know for sure that Oregon does not have sales tax. But is it Vermont that
also doesn't? I think so.

Travolta

Feb 13, 2002, 12:27:56 PM2/13/02
When I visited Ocean City, Maryland...there was no sales tax.

Chris

Feb 13, 2002, 12:54:11 PM2/13/02
>I know for sure that Oregon does not have sales tax. But is it Vermont that
>also doesn't? I think so.

New Hampsha...:)

Chris
NP: SNL
Impeach Bush to reply

Machismo Fussypants

Feb 13, 2002, 12:06:38 PM2/13/02
s a r c a s m

--

A multitude of laws in a country is like a great number of physicians, a
sign of weakness and malady.

--> Voltaire

--==\~^~/==--
Grain of Salt Added For your consumption.

mike vernal <ver...@fas.harvard.edu> wrote in message

Kristin

Feb 13, 2002, 1:31:03 PM2/13/02
>>I know for sure that Oregon does not have sales tax. But is it Vermont that
>>also doesn't? I think so.
>
>New Hampsha...:)

thanks :) I knew it was either Vermont or NH :)

Linus Chapman

Mar 4, 2002, 7:25:46 AM3/4/02
Travolta <soulphis...@yahoo.commonsense> wrote in message news:<3C6AA21C...@yahoo.commonsense>...

> When I visited Ocean City, Maryland...there was no sales tax.

WHAAAAAATTT NO Sales Tax In Ocean City, Maryland..... maybe that was
during a tax free clothing pre school weekend... BUT if anything..
Ocean City has more "hidden" taxes than you can shake a stick at...
If you go to a restaurant.. and there is a guy banging a stick on the
bar the town considers that entertainment and the soda and twirly
fries is taxed extra entertainment tax.
(for more interesting facts and information about Ocean City visit:
http://atlanticbreezes.com Ocean City Maryland's Internet Magazine )

When you go to a fast food restaurant like Wendy's you get purged an
extra 1% food sales tax to pay for the renovated convention center.

When you rent an umbrella on the beach.. the price of the umbrella has
incorporated the "franchise" fee the town gets from the umbrella stand
operators.. the town gets about $691,985 a year - that is a tax, just
hidden in the price of the product.

You see those guys running up and down the beach taking pictures of
people and selling those little "telescope" pictures for people's key
chains...
The town gets in franchise fees... approx $483,836 that is a tax,
just hidden in the price of the product.

If you rent for an apartment for the week etc.. look around, and you
will see a "Noise Ordiance" cardboard sign in the unit (probably about
a penny to make), every unit must display that sign for a cost of
about $25.. that is a tax. The town gets at least (1997 figs) $
191,231 a year for that.

If you go to park you car in an alley, private parking lot, or
anywhere parking maybe restricted look up at the 'blue' 2footx2foot
sign... you will see a little sticker on the sign with the current
year's date... That little sticker cost $85 per sign per year. That
entitles the owner of the private lot or alley, or say a restaurant
that has parking, to call the city and have the unauthorized vehicle
towed away.. at which time.. the vehicle gets impounded and a fee
(tax) must be paid to get the vehicle back, a fee to the tow truck
company (approx $70) for the tow job... You can't display a No
Parking Sign, and have the vehicle towed with out the "proper" sign,
even if it's on your own property.

Hey.. come to town on a charter bus... You can't park the bus anywhere
on the street in Ocean City.. it's obviously parked in the hotel's
private lot.. well.. that cost's the bus $10, not much you say.. the
town gets about $ 4,440 .

Hey.. ya wanna sell Ice Cream off a truck.. mind you... June is often
a cold month.. so you've got July and August to peddle the frozen
sugar milk substitute product... that will cost you about $ 58,314 a
year competitive franshise fee.. of course even before you hit the
street.. the town wants "80% of the yearly fee as payable on or before
the following January 1 with the balance due on or before the
following June 30." But should be no problem... sales have been
rocketing during November and January (yeah right...).

Tax... What tax.. I don't see no stinking tax.

But do remember... tip well, tip often, be nice to your servers...
they have a very taxing life in Ocean City Maryland.

(oh and I should just add.. this year we will be pumping sand from
offshore on to the beach using huge archaic sand dredges and pumping
stations.. about $6million I believe.. but hey, that's ok.. because we
get federal funding so people from Iowa are getting taxed for that)..
and you thought sand was free.

Marcus Holmes

Mar 4, 2002, 10:41:01 AM3/4/02
> When you go to a fast food restaurant like Wendy's you get purged an
> extra 1% food sales tax to pay for the renovated convention center.

1%? OH THE HUMANITY!!!!

Marcus

Doug

Mar 4, 2002, 2:54:53 PM3/4/02

Good liberal mantra - hey, we're only raising taxes 1%, who cares but the
rich?

Doug

"Marcus Holmes" <mho...@world.std.com> wrote in message

Marcus Holmes

Mar 4, 2002, 4:25:14 PM3/4/02
> Good liberal mantra - hey, we're only raising taxes 1%, who cares but the
> rich?

Yeah I'm a bad guy cause I don't mind paying an extra 1% on my double
cheeseburger and chocolate Frosty.

Marcus