[Internationalist] Dixie Be Damned: New book by local authors, event June 8

internatio...@lists.ibiblio.org

May 29, 2015, 12:31:22 AM5/29/15

We're thrilled to be carrying the newly released book by local authors
and friends Saralee Stafford and Neal Shirley, Dixie Be Damned: 300
Years of Insurrection in the American South.

Copies are available now at Internationalist Books & Community Center.

Join us Monday, June 8 at 7:00 pm for a reading and discussion with the
authors. Their presentation at this past year's Carrboro Anarchist
Bookfair was the event with the highest attendance we've had in our new
space, so we know you'll want to be check it out and get here early.

They also have a slew of other local release parties and events. Grab a
flyer when you stop by the bookshop to get your copy if you can't make
our event on the 8th.

/*About The Book*/

In 1891, when coal companies in eastern Tennessee brought in cheap
convict labor to take over their jobs, workers responded by storming the
stockades, freeing the prisoners, and loading them onto freight trains.
Over the next year, tactics escalated to include burning company
property and looting company stores. This was one of the largest
insurrections in US working-class history. It happened at the same time
as the widely publicized northern labor war in Homestead, Pennsylvania.
And it was largely ignored, then and now.

Dixie Be Damned engages seven similarly "hidden" insurrectionary
episodes in Southern history to demonstrate the region's long arc of
revolt. Countering images of the South as pacified and conservative,
this adventurous retelling presents history in the rough. Not the image
of the South many expect, this is the South of maroon rebellion, wildcat
strikes, and Robert F. Williams's book Negroes with Guns, a South where
the dispossessed refuse to quietly suffer their fate. This is people's
history at its best: slave revolts, multiracial banditry, labor battles,
prison uprisings, urban riots, and more.
/*
*//*About The Authors*/

Neal Shirley grew up in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and now lives in
Durham, NC, where he is involved in several anti-prison initiatives and
runs a small publishing project called the North Carolina Piece Corps.

Saralee Stafford was born in the Piedmont of North Carolina. Her recent
political work has focused on connecting the struggles of street
organizations with those of anarchists in the area. She teaches
gender-related health in Durham, North Carolina.