Sending AT command to MODEM from BATCH file?

Bill Fuhrmann

Sep 5, 1994, 9:21:00 AM9/5/94

O|3) HOW I DO IT NOW...
O| I issue the ATM0 command each time I start PROCOMM+, before dialing.
O|It works, but I have to type it in each time once inside PROCOMM+. That's
O|why it would be more convenient if I could disable the Modem speaker from a
O|.BAT file, just before calling PROCOMM+ (from the same .BAT file).

Doesn't Procomm have a configuration sedction for a "set up" or
"initialization" string for the modem?

If Procom doesn't set up the modem, many modems have a way to save a
new configuration for startup.

* QMPro 1.52 * I'm a paranoid schizophrenic: always out to get myself...

Xue Lin

Sep 5, 1994, 1:51:52 PM9/5/94
o...@netcom.com wrote:
: 1) WHAT I NEED TO BE ABLE TO DO...
: I want (need) to send an ATM0 command to my modem (Hayes 9600) from a
: DOS .BAT batch file, _before_ I start PROCOMMM+ for DOS.

: 2) WHY I NEED TO IT...
: The ATM0 command disables the modem speaker's loud beeping sounds.
: So, now I can dial up at 3 AM without waking up the neighbourhood.
:
: 3) HOW I DO IT NOW...
: I issue the ATM0 command each time I start PROCOMM+, before dialing.
: It works, but I have to type it in each time once inside PROCOMM+. That's
: why it would be more convenient if I could disable the Modem speaker from a
: .BAT file, just before calling PROCOMM+ (from the same .BAT file).
: I have not found a way to disable the Modem speaker from within PROCOMM+,
: (version 1.2).

: If anybody has any ideas, pls let me know!
: (The neighborhood association also says thank you!)

Add ATM0 to your modem init str.
For Procomm for DOS, press Alt-S, select Modem Options, then Modem Commands,
then select Initializtion Command, add 'M0'.
--
~{Q)AV~} ------------ xl...@freenet.fsu.edu ------------

~{H4T-@42oWOQI:l?*1i#,KFUb0c6<86Sh6O>.2P;8~}

Franz Koepke

Sep 6, 1994, 4:30:01 AM9/6/94
In article <oneCvM...@netcom.com> o...@netcom.com writes:
>From: o...@netcom.com
>Subject: Sending AT command to MODEM from BATCH file?
>Date: Sun, 4 Sep 1994 17:26:59 GMT

>If anybody has any ideas, pls let me know!
>(The neighborhood association also says thank you!)

RAY,
try the utilities available from Simtel (oak.oacland.edu) in /msdos/pktdrvr
slx10.zip (AT,RING,DCD). They are made for dialing SLIP-Connections, but
should work in your case as well.

Franz Koepke

Ray Goudie

Sep 6, 1994, 2:31:41 PM9/6/94
On 4 Sep 1994 13:28:35 -0600, Terry D. Ott (jso...@u.cc.utah.edu) wrote:
> Alright, inside your batch file, right before Procomm, do a:
> echo atm0 > com1 (...or com2, or whatever)
> Anybody, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

> -Terry

This never works for me with my internal modem on COM4. I have tried typing
ECHO > COM4 ATH1 to get the speaker to come on, but it nevers works. Does
MS-DOS ECHO add a newline character to the end, or must you specify it?

Ray Goudie; Montreal, Quebec Canada

e-mail: ro...@pshift.com

Terry D. Ott

Sep 6, 1994, 5:15:56 PM9/6/94
Ray Goudie (ro...@pshift.com) wrote:

: On 4 Sep 1994 13:28:35 -0600, Terry D. Ott (jso...@u.cc.utah.edu) wrote:
: > Alright, inside your batch file, right before Procomm, do a:
: > echo atm0 > com1 (...or com2, or whatever)
: > Anybody, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

: This never works for me with my internal modem on COM4. I have tried typing

: ECHO > COM4 ATH1 to get the speaker to come on, but it nevers works. Does
: MS-DOS ECHO add a newline character to the end, or must you specify it?

Well, that whole format looks wrong. Now, maybe I'm the one being
weird, but I thought the redirection symbol and destination had to be
last, like I had it: ECHO ATH1 > COM[x]. Now, I'll grant you. COM3 and
COM4 have some weirdness that I don't understand, and maybe you can't ECHO
anything to them. It was the first thing to come to my mind, and I could
definitely be wrong.

-Terry

--
--=======================================================================--
"My words but a whisper, your deafness a shout. | Terry D. Ott

Allen Kistler

Sep 8, 1994, 9:11:32 PM9/8/94
In article <94090518...@tstation.mn.org>, bill.f...@tstation.mn.org (Bill Fuhrmann) writes:

> O|3) HOW I DO IT NOW...
> O| I issue the ATM0 command each time I start PROCOMM+, before dialing.

> Doesn't Procomm have a configuration sedction for a "set up" or
> "initialization" string for the modem?

If you just want to get the thing to shut up all the time, why not say
"atm0" in whatever interactive mode your terminal program allows, and
then save the state to profile 0 (the power-up mode)?

Allen Kistler
a...@space.physics.uiowa.edu