A Strange problem with nul on Windows XP: "the system cannot find the file specified."

Jonathan Orlev

Jun 3, 2003, 4:37:11 AM6/3/03
Hello everyone,

I have what seems to be a very strange problem in Windows XP:
it seems that the device (virtual file, bit backet) 'nul' is not available.

When I redirect to it, I get the error message:
"the system cannot find the file specified"

for example, if I type:
dir > nul

I shall get:
"the system cannot find the file specified."

Does any one have an idea ?

This is not the computer I am working on. Can it be a program that changed
it somehow ?

ThanQ,

Jonathan Orlev

Marty List

Jun 6, 2003, 12:53:20 AM6/6/03

Try this:

- From a command prompt run these 2 commands:
Set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
Start Devmgmt.msc

- From Device Manager, use the View menu to "Show Hidden Devices".

- In the Device list, find "Non-Plug and Play Drivers"

- See if there is a NULL device listed, and right click, see if it's
enabled.

"Jonathan Orlev" <Jonath...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Pavel Srubar

Jun 6, 2003, 12:12:15 PM6/6/03
Jonath...@yahoo.com (Jonathan Orlev) wrote
> it seems that the device (virtual file, bit backet) 'nul' is not available.
> dir > nul

> "the system cannot find the file specified."

Driver for this device is "%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\drivers\Null.sys".
Go to Device Manager, show hidden devices and unfold Non-PNP devices.
Check if the Null device is running (should have startup type "System").
Then check if the key "NUL" has value "\Device\Null"
in "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\DOS Devices".

Bye,
Sr.

Jonathan Orlev

Jun 26, 2003, 7:27:38 AM6/26/03
I want to thank you Pavel and Marty,

This indeed was the problem. For some reason, the null device was disabled.

I did not even new it exists...

Regards,

Jonathan Orlev