leeseb@hotmail.com

Simon Howson

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00
RHCP performed the Big Day Out in Adelaide, South Australia, Australia on
4th February 2000. Songs performed included

Around the World
Give It Away
Your Pussy's Glued to a Building on Fire (John solo)
Scar Tissue
My Lovely Man
Pea
If You Have To Ask
Easily
Otherside
Californication
Right On Time
I Like Dirt
Under The Bridge
I Could Have Lied
Me And My Friends
Skinny Sweaty Man
Sir Psycho Sexy
The Power of Equality

The show was excellent, a very high energy performance that is simply a
notch higher than anyone else :-)

Highlights for mine was RIGHT ON TIME and MY LOVELY MAN, OTHERSIDE.

Attempted to track down the band after the show, no go. However, did catch
them at airport this afternoon, spoke extensively with John regarding the
band he said a few things...

STUFF THAT JOHN TOLD ME

Phat Dance will never be officially released, they simply feel it is sub
par, but also that particularly Anthony was not satisfied with his vocals
during the chorus.

Similarly with BUNKER HILL, although a studio cut was made the song got
voted down because of Flea not liking his bass part :-( (I personally dig
the track)

He feels it is a good time for the band to consider releasing a live CD. All
shows on the Japan/New Zealand/Australia tour are being tapped and he and
Chad will sit down and sort through the material to perhaps put something
together.

Personally, John has written about 40 new songs! that he wants to put
together into a new solo album. He wants to do this before RHCP record their
next album together. However, their are no formal plans to record a new RHCP
album before the atleast the U.S tour.

The band will not appear on any late night TV shows (talks shows) :-) He
says the managers just reject offers as they feel it does not suit the
image/style of the band, that is, performing to a particular shows
standards. John agrees, and digs their managments attitude! :-)

OTHER STUFF

I spoke to him in the airport and a person had a guitar to be signed, I
asked for John to play "MASCARA" he started the intro, but then became
rather shy and declined. He suggested it would be better if he could play it
in a room just for me :-)

I asked him about a song "A FALL THRU THE GROUND" that appears on SMILES
FROM THE STREETS YOU HOLD. It is one of my favourites, I was AMAZED to find
out he wrote and recorded that track when he was 17!

I talked to John about film, he stated that he really appreciates a lot of
unconventional film. Specifically he sighted the films of PAUL MORRISSEY

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Morrissey,+Paul

I am a film student but the only Paul Morrissey I have seen is THE HOUNDS OF
THE BASKERVILLES that is certainly worth a look if you can.

But he later added a love for the films of the 1940's Especially those with
either Humphrey Bogart, or Edward G Robinson.

I talked to him about the bass part during the verse of RIGHT ON TIME. I
said that it reminded me a lot of BLONDIE (particularly HEART OF GLASS but
10 X as fast) He said that Flea's inspiration for that part was actually the
R&B Groove of a Donna Summer song, but forgot which one. He said it was
essentially a sythesiser "riff" that Flea tried to emulate on his bass, and
that is how it turned out. I continued asking if it freaks you out when Flea
plays that quick and he replied "I can play that fast too!" :-)

Incidently, RHCP recorded a song that had a working title of BLONDIE during
the Californication sessions, but doubt it will ever be released :-(

John was listening to New Order on his disc man, and was reading a book
about Peter Gabriel. Well, he wasn't really because I was talking to him!

I saw him early at the airport, he signed a few of my things and later moved
towards the departure lounge (heading to Perth, Australia), it was then I
REALLY freaked, I mean I wanted to sit next to him, but thought he would get
pissed off. So I just did cos I had to... I mean I would regret it
otherwise. I sat and we chatted intermitently whilst he joked around with
crew. He seemed very relaxed, and put up with my constant questioning. I
took lots of photos and will send them to the fan club....

Bye for now

--
Simon Howson

http://www.dvdtracker.com/~showson
I am ROCKINFREAKAPOTAMUS # 2021
http://www.redhotchilipeppers.com
My ICQ UIN is 29673608
What is ICQ? http://www.icq.com
"A lot of the time your worst enemy is your ego"

-- John Frusciante

Simon Howson

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00
Sorry,

this is obviously in the wrong place. Due to the hectic nature of the
demands on 21st century man, you can see I have lucked up and sent this
here, instead of where it was meant to go. This e-mail did not feature any
Robert De Niro ad libbing, it was not directed by Martin Scorsese

I am sorry