Another article on Kubrick project(s)

porti...@yahoo.com

Nov 3, 2006, 1:54:53 PM11/3/06
Um-another (brief) article about "Lunatic at Large" - and there is more
info about the Civil War script (The Down Slope) and another one
"God-Fearing Man" that I've never heard of before ~ Genevieve

Kubrick makes noir comeback

The Australian (Australia)
The Times

Ben Hoyle

SEVEN years after his death, Stanley Kubrick's career as a screenwriter
is taking off in a big way. He has already been credited with one
posthumous film: Steven Spielberg adapted Artificial Intelligence: AI
from notes and drafts that the director left behind. Now three new
projects that Kubrick wrote or worked on extensively are poised to see
the light of day a half-century after they were filed away and lost.

They include Killer's Kiss, based on an original Kubrick idea, and a
road movie that promises to provide the missing link between two of his
best-known films, A Clockwork Orange and The Shining.

The three scripts, written in the late 1950s, were found after
Kubrick's death in 1999, in one of the many trunks in which the
director hoarded valued possessions at his home near St Albans, north
of London.

Two of the scripts were almost complete, according to Philip Hobbs, his
son-in law, who worked with him for 12 years. ''One is called The Down
Slope and was written with the American Civil War historian Shelby
Foote. It's a strong anti-war film set against the backdrop of that
conflict.

''The other is the true story of a priest who became the biggest bank
robber in America. It's called God-Fearing Man and he wrote it
himself.''

Hobbs is most excited by the discovery of an 80-page treatment for
Lunatic at Large, a mystery thriller about an axe murderer who has
escaped from an asylum.

''I knew what it was right away because I remember Stanley talking
about Lunatic,'' Hobbs says. ''He was always saying he wished he knew
where it was because it was such a great idea.''

It is set in New York in 1956 and was worked into a narrative by
Kubrick's collaborator at the time, pulp fiction novelist Jim Thompson.

British producer Charles Finch and Edward R. Pressman, the American
producer of Wall Street and Reversal of Fortune, are guiding the
project.

Finch describes Lunatic at Large as ''a wild and crazy Kerouac-style
adventure. It's like A Clockwork Orange meets The Shining, with a
fantastic twist at the end.'' Colin Farrell has been offered the lead
role.

''Stanley threw a lot of things away,'' says Kubrick's widow,
Christiane. ''These weren't among them, so he really liked these three
projects. I remember reading them at the time. He was very excited
about Lunatic, but then other things happened ... the stories were
packed away and then we moved to England [in 1961] to do Lolita here.''

Boaz

Nov 3, 2006, 2:18:57 PM11/3/06
porti...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Um-another (brief) article about "Lunatic at Large" - and there is more
> info about the Civil War script (The Down Slope) and another one
> "God-Fearing Man" that I've never heard of before ~ Genevieve

Thanks for posting this, Gen. Even in death, Kubrick is still full of
surprises. It is true the end results won't be "a Kubrick film" in the
literal sense, but it is still interesting to see his name and his
influence still being felt.

I'm going to trim most of this:

<snip>

> Two of the scripts were almost complete, according to Philip Hobbs, his
> son-in law, who worked with him for 12 years. ''One is called The Down
> Slope and was written with the American Civil War historian Shelby
> Foote. It's a strong anti-war film set against the backdrop of that
> conflict.

No word as to this one being picked up for production?

> ''The other is the true story of a priest who became the biggest bank
> robber in America. It's called God-Fearing Man and he wrote it
> himself.''

Isn't this the same one that Kubrick once said was named "I Stole $16
Million"?

> Hobbs is most excited by the discovery of an 80-page treatment for
> Lunatic at Large, a mystery thriller about an axe murderer who has
> escaped from an asylum.
>
> ''I knew what it was right away because I remember Stanley talking
> about Lunatic,'' Hobbs says. ''He was always saying he wished he knew
> where it was because it was such a great idea.''

So much for having an impeccable filing system.

> It is set in New York in 1956 and was worked into a narrative by
> Kubrick's collaborator at the time, pulp fiction novelist Jim Thompson.
>
> British producer Charles Finch and Edward R. Pressman, the American
> producer of Wall Street and Reversal of Fortune, are guiding the
> project.
>
> Finch describes Lunatic at Large as ''a wild and crazy Kerouac-style
> adventure. It's like A Clockwork Orange meets The Shining, with a
> fantastic twist at the end.'' Colin Farrell has been offered the lead
> role.
>
> ''Stanley threw a lot of things away,'' says Kubrick's widow,
> Christiane. ''These weren't among them, so he really liked these three
> projects. I remember reading them at the time. He was very excited
> about Lunatic, but then other things happened ... the stories were
> packed away and then we moved to England [in 1961] to do Lolita here.''

Again, thanks for passing this on, Gen.

Boaz
("I like to viddy the old films now and again.")

Yelps

Nov 3, 2006, 6:41:39 PM11/3/06
OMG he did a Buffy Script!

I can't wait.

dc

"Boaz" <boa...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Wordsmith

Nov 3, 2006, 6:50:17 PM11/3/06

Yelps wrote:
> OMG he did a Buffy Script!
>
> I can't wait.
>
> dc

Me neither...especially if the Buffster appears naked.

W ; )

Yelps

Nov 3, 2006, 9:02:50 PM11/3/06

"Wordsmith" <word...@rocketmail.com> wrote in message

> Yelps wrote:
>> OMG he did a Buffy Script!
>>
>> I can't wait.
>>
>> dc
>
> Me neither...especially if the Buffster appears naked.
>
> W ; )

Fraid she never will. Even in Southland Tales the Big Sex Epic coming soon,
she says she refused. There is a picture of her by a Fake Celeb porn site
that is posted sometimes on a Buffy Binary usenet, but I think thats all
anyone will ever see of the Buffy. But she does talk dirty sometimes and
the episode called "Wrecked" is the classic (i think thats the one) . Sex
between Buffy and Spike literally brings the castle down to rubble.

dc