Why is Danny's friend named "Tony"?

myriadsmallcreature

Dec 22, 2012, 3:34:24 PM12/22/12
The Shining, by Stephen King (~p. 101)

As I recall, I had my own invisible friend when I was Danny's age, a
talking
rooster named Chug-Chug. Of course no one could see Chug-Chug but me.
I had two
older brothers who often left me behind, and in such a situation Chug-
Chug came
in mighty handy. And of course you two must understand why Danny's
invisible
friend is named Tony instead of Mike or Hal or Dutch."
"Yes," Wendy said.
"Have you ever pointed it out to him?"
"No," Jack said. "Should we?"
"Why bother? Let him realize it in his own time, by his own logic.

So, why must we understand why his name is "Tony"?

kelpzoidzl

Dec 22, 2012, 11:20:20 PM12/22/12
On Dec 22, 12:34 pm, myriadsmallcreature
I suppose it would be interesting to read the book after so many
years. Might be fun to listen to it as an audio book. After seeing
the film for the third time the week if release, the novel (which I
read before the film and enjoyed) left my mind completely.

An old forum thread here decides it was his Middle name Anthony,
supposedly mentioned in the book.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-70886.html

But why would Jack say ""No," Jack said. "Should we?"
"Why bother? Let him realize it in his own time, by his own logic."?

I suspect this was a personal , idiopathic reference from King. Would
it be a literary reference?

Someone might throw this idea out and ask why...what secret and
arcane, psychosexual meaning this might have? No doubt some
nefarious pedophile Was it an "Uncle Tony"? Did King have an "Uncle
Tony"?

Or did it come from Cartoons?

I have no idea. I had Cecil of "Beany and Cecil" living under my
head board...I assumed it was "Cecil" the reptilian anyway.,,,

This had a huge impact on me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXCCQK1DMCk

This too.. especially Cecil's eyes...those oblong, grey, reptilian
eyes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfKR7jzh7p8

http://www.tvacres.com/reptiles_serpents_time.htm

"Captain: You say you saw a singing Sea Sick Sea Serpent named Cecil?
I can't even say it. How could I see it? Beany, you know there's no
such thing as a sea serpent and I'm ashamed of you for telling an
untruth.
Beany: Its' the truth, Uncle Captain Huffenpuff. If I didn't see a Sea
Serpent may lightning strike me.
Captain: And I say there was no Sea Serpent! [Lightning strikes
Captain] EEEEEEeeeeeyyyyyyyy!
Beany: See?

--Time for Beany

TRIVIA NOTE: Originally entitled TIME FOR BEANY, the program first
premiered on KTLA-TV in Los Angeles on February 1949.

Daws Butler and Stan Freberg performed both the voices and puppetry
on the show.
Daws' wife, Myrtis designed and sewed the first Cecil puppet from
their son's green pajama leg.

Daws and Stan were on the show Monday through Friday, from 6:30 to
6:45 pm, 52 weeks a year, for five years. For all their hard work and
talent, they earned three Emmy Awards.

The Cecil character was inspired by the pre-historic dinosaurs that
animator Bob Clampett had remembered from the 1920's silent film
feature Lost World."

kelpzoidzl

Dec 23, 2012, 1:28:48 AM12/23/12
> This had a huge impact on me.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXCCQK1DMCk
>
> This too.. especially Cecil's eyes...those oblong,  grey, reptilian
> eyes.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfKR7jzh7p8
>
> http://www.tvacres.com/reptiles_serpents_time.htm
>
> "Captain: You say you saw a singing Sea Sick Sea Serpent named Cecil?
> I can't even say it. How could I see it? Beany, you know there's no
> such thing as a sea serpent and I'm ashamed of you for telling an
> untruth.
> Beany: Its' the truth, Uncle Captain Huffenpuff. If I didn't see a Sea
> Serpent may lightning strike me.
> Captain: And I say there was no Sea Serpent! [Lightning strikes
> Captain] EEEEEEeeeeeyyyyyyyy!
> Beany: See?
>
> --Time for Beany
>
> TRIVIA NOTE: Originally entitled TIME FOR BEANY, the program first
> premiered on KTLA-TV in Los Angeles on February 1949.
>
> Daws Butler  and Stan Freberg performed both the voices and puppetry
> on the show.
> Daws' wife, Myrtis designed and sewed the first Cecil puppet from
> their son's green pajama leg.
>
> Daws and Stan were on the show Monday through Friday, from 6:30 to
> 6:45 pm, 52 weeks a year, for five years. For all their hard work and
> talent, they earned three Emmy Awards.
>
> The Cecil character was inspired by the pre-historic dinosaurs that
> animator Bob Clampett had remembered from the 1920's silent film
> feature Lost World."

"Clampett Connections to World UFO Day"

https://beanyandcecil.com/clampett-connections-to-world-ufo-day/

myriadsmallcreature

Dec 23, 2012, 2:22:08 PM12/23/12
Thank you, Kelp.

Yes, his middle name was Anthony.

I'm a 'Pinky and the Brain' aficionado myself.

kelpzoidzl

Dec 25, 2012, 1:38:37 AM12/25/12
On Dec 23, 11:22 am, myriadsmallcreature
Never caught that one. It was well after my time.

myriadsmallcreature

Dec 28, 2012, 2:53:38 PM12/28/12
I watched it with my kids. Good times.

"During the season that runs from May fifteenth to September
thirtieth, the Overlook employs one hundred and ten people full-time;
one for every room in the hotel, you might say."

"Someone might throw this idea out and ask why...what secret and
arcane, psychosexual meaning this might have? No doubt some
nefarious pedophile Was it an "Uncle Tony"? Did King have an "Uncle
Tony"?"

No need to bring up Harry Bailey.

kelpzoidzl

Dec 30, 2012, 9:56:46 PM12/30/12
I agree there. Although there was some entertainment value there.

myriadsmallcreature

Jan 3, 2013, 4:25:03 PM1/3/13
kelp, I meant to ask you...

I ran across in my reading (Avalon?) a reference to Shastra yoga...
having to do with chakras (loosely speaking) below muladhara, but have
not been able to find any reference to them anywhere.

Any pointers?

kelpzoidzl

Jan 3, 2013, 11:51:58 PM1/3/13
The underlying principles go back to Kaya. The more complete doctrine is called the Ten Realms or Lifestates which exists in all beings each moment.

The soles of the feet correspond to suffering and the head corresponds to Enlightenment. It represents the three bodies or Kaya of the Buddha, The sub Muladhara contains hell, hunger, animality and anger. This is part of the unifying teaching of 3000 lifestates in s single moment.

What the Chakra writings teach of the Sub-Muladhara is based on the "Four lower realms" The Hell realm, the realm of unsatisfied hungry creatures, the realm of Animals, the realm of Anger.

Even these lower realms (momentary lifestates), contain the human realm, the realm of rapture and heaven, the realm of Arhat /Learning and pratyekabuddha/ Self-awakening, Bodhisattva/Mercy and Buddhahood/Enlightenment. The ten lifestates include all the chakras from lower to upper.

Problems arise when practitioners wallow in the lower lifestates, or remain self satisfied in tranquility or sensuality, rapture or self-satisfied in their heads with knowledge, theories and temporary, theoretical awakenings. First Mercy then Action, then awakening to original Enlightenment.

myriadsmallcreature

Jan 5, 2013, 1:33:57 PM1/5/13
As the chakras have a physical (or whatever) location in, on or around
the body, so these others also seem to have a physical location. I
wonder: does the sub Muladhara have a less abstract component, and if
so, where?

kelpzoidzl

Jan 6, 2013, 9:25:45 PM1/6/13
On Jan 5, 10:33 am, myriadsmallcreature
Soles, Feet, Legs, Hips. approximatley

myriadsmallcreature

Jan 8, 2013, 12:02:22 PM1/8/13
:)

Knees of Necessity?

Any links? Book titles? Etc?

kelpzoidzl

Jan 10, 2013, 6:57:33 AM1/10/13
On Jan 8, 9:02 am, myriadsmallcreature <myriadsmallcreat...@yahoo.com>
I need to know your level of understanding or experience in this area
to know what to direct you to. Is there a particular thing you are
looking for? What is your understanding of this? Experiential?
Theory? What is your current religious, practice orientation?

Just because a teaching exists, that can be experienced, does not
mean that is what one should do at a given time, if it is just going
backwards and crossing the same bridge over and over. True
understanding is not theoretical and memorizing chakras, etc. but
experiential and is already there in the Alaya consciousness and only
a very partial teaching that remains within the mechanical wheel.

It's originally tantric Hinduism. Gautama used the terms at times but
only expediently as existing terms much as one would name body parts,
but he steered people away from it, because it tended to devolve
into desire based, sex rituals.

The same thing occurred in the Tantric Buddhist sects, later, but it
was not a part of Gautama's teaching. At its very best, it is a
practice of basic meditation, for a beginner, but the visualization
and esoteric aspect can impede proper single minded practice.

When tantric became popular in the Buddhist countries of China, Japan
and Tibet, it got very far off from what I would call correct
practice.

There is also the New Age versions of Kundalini.

myriadsmallcreature

Jan 18, 2013, 2:00:35 PM1/18/13
"Obviously the printer himself drew and engraved seven of the
ilustrations. But in the other two, he is named only as 'sculp'. That
means he only engraved them. Someone else created the drawings,
someone else was the 'inv'. Someone with the initials L.F.

That printer might have been the one burned at the stake, but he
wasn't the only one involved.

'No,' agreed his brother, 'someone helped light the fire at his
feet.'"

-The Club Dumas

kelpzoidzl

Jan 18, 2013, 9:03:11 PM1/18/13
On Jan 18, 11:00 am, myriadsmallcreature
"You are not prepared to be asking about this, for if you do summon
the thing, you will be torched. You must disavow all thoughts of
evil and defeat Lucifer and Satan, which you are still not prepared
for. If you cannot do this then you will be lost to it." -deleted
scenes

myriadsmallcreature

Jan 19, 2013, 12:25:37 PM1/19/13
"There are five elements, earth, water, fire, air, and ether. For the
body of the five elements, there is a fivefold concentration. From the
feet to the knees is said to be the region of earth; it is foursided
in shape, yellow in colour and has the letter La. Carrying the breath
with the letter La along the region of earth (from the feet to the
knees) and contemplating Brahma with four faces and of a golden
colour, one should perform meditation there. ...

"The region of water is declared to extend from the knees to the anus.
The water is semilunar in shape and white in colour, and has Va for
its bija (seed). Carrying up the breath with the letter Va along the
region of water, he should meditate upon the god Narayana, having
four arms and a crowned head, as being of the colour of pure crystal,
as dressed in orange cloths and as decayless. ..."

-Yogatattva Upanishad

kelpzoidzl

Jan 20, 2013, 3:51:20 PM1/20/13
On Jan 19, 9:25 am, myriadsmallcreature
My kubrick video touches on the 5 components.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1W050tfyLw

myriadsmallcreature

Jan 22, 2013, 3:19:03 PM1/22/13

> My kubrick video touches on the 5 components.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1W050tfyLw

I'm confused: Am I prepared for this? Are you the master? What is the
danger here? I promise it won't devolve into a sex ritual.

kelpzoidzl

Feb 1, 2013, 4:26:06 AM2/1/13
On Jan 22, 12:19 pm, myriadsmallcreature
Be the master of your own mind with good, correct middle way
meditation. And no funny business.

There is no power higher

myriadsmallcreature

Feb 1, 2013, 1:17:45 PM2/1/13
:)

MickeyMoop

Feb 5, 2013, 10:47:00 AM2/5/13
On Friday, February 1, 2013 1:17:45 PM UTC-5, myriadsmallcreature wrote:
> :)

: : Gaga :: with pink pubed mannequin, if I may be so observant to break into this normal non-Gaza raving, non-Austrian consciously pouting behind the Richard II coffee table, hot chakra khanning around. Where's Nina?

Don Stockbauer

Feb 5, 2013, 9:02:42 PM2/5/13
With the Pinta and the Santa Maria?

MickeyMoop

Feb 6, 2013, 10:45:45 AM2/6/13
On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 9:02:42 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> With the Pinta and the Santa Maria?

We {most slap many redditpunch some) LUV this DROOGO!; Ruby Modine old enuff to TWIT, thou nattering g l i a noid, and to W.E. huzzah and may the Splice be with you. Rather rotten about Sybil, yes? That fellowe is a bloody menace; hate to see what will happen to Carson, Bates, Anna, Mister Matt Dickinson, the sterling silver....

kelpzoidzl

Feb 8, 2013, 6:42:32 AM2/8/13
And forever the synesthia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vzjxHIxSg4

kelpzoidzl

Feb 8, 2013, 6:44:07 AM2/8/13

Don Stockbauer

Feb 8, 2013, 7:49:16 AM2/8/13
OK.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 8, 2013, 11:03:11 AM2/8/13
How does synesthesia fit in here?

kelpzoidzl

Feb 10, 2013, 9:59:46 PM2/10/13
On Feb 8, 8:03 am, Don Stockbauer <donstockba...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> How does synesthesia fit in here?

Not as well as Syncrothesia, which explains it better.

Serendipity and Volition at once. Cannot ever be created or
destroyed because it neither comes into being nor is non-being.

kelpzoidzl

Feb 11, 2013, 7:02:06 AM2/11/13
"Suppressing the truth will [lead] to deadly consequences for you and
your family," ---Dorner Manifesto

Don Stockbauer

Feb 11, 2013, 9:35:22 AM2/11/13
Kids say the darnedest things.

MickeyMoop

Feb 11, 2013, 11:19:13 AM2/11/13
munch munch detective munch what's up, docs? What was Stanley doing in Cuba? I'm so farking bored, "wassup" with Operation Bosworth? Or Operation BushbabyWonderfulPersonExtractedFromTronWorldque?

spl...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2014, 12:08:21 PM7/24/14
On Saturday, December 22, 2012 12:34:24 PM UTC-8, myriadsmallcreature wrote:
> The Shining, by Stephen King (~p. 101) As I recall, I had my own invisible friend when I was Danny's age, a talking rooster named Chug-Chug. Of course no one could see Chug-Chug but me. I had two older brothers who often left me behind, and in such a situation Chug- Chug came in mighty handy. And of course you two must understand why Danny's invisible friend is named Tony instead of Mike or Hal or Dutch." "Yes," Wendy said. "Have you ever pointed it out to him?" "No," Jack said. "Should we?" "Why bother? Let him realize it in his own time, by his own logic. So, why must we understand why his name is "Tony"?

Danny's middle name was Anthony. Named after his grandfather. I suspect "Tony" is a version of his grandfather.