Blaine card trick

Jacob Hartstra

Aug 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/1/99
Hello everyone,

One cardtrick of David blaine has got me puzzled for a while.
It's that trick were someone write her name on the card......than David
tears up the card.....FACE UP in four pieces...and a couple of moments
later..the card is one piece at the top of the deck.

Is this a prepared deck??? or do I miss something

Well magic friends....hope that someone has the answer

Greetings,

Jacob

P.S. E-mail prefered

robinson

Aug 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/1/99

Jacob Hartstra <jhar...@mailroom.com> wrote in message

> Hello everyone,
>
> One cardtrick of David blaine has got me puzzled for a while.
> It's that trick were someone write her name on the card......than David
> tears up the card.....FACE UP in four pieces...and a couple of moments
> later..the card is one piece at the top of the deck.
>
> Is this a prepared deck??? or do I miss something
>
> ##############

Yes son, you do miss something. Better watch your little David Blaine: Magic
Man videotape again. As I recall that card ain't face up when he tears it.

Jacob Hartstra

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99

robinson <j...@frontiernet.net> schreef in berichtnieuws
7o3065$16p2$1...@node17.cwnet.frontiernet.net...
Well son, the card is FACE UP when he tears it......So it is you who should
watch the video over.

(It's the trick with the girl named Brandy)

robinson

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99

> Well son, the card is FACE UP when he tears it......So it is you who
should
> watch the video over.
>
> (It's the trick with the girl named Brandy)
>
> )))))))))))
Is this on David Blaine: Magic Man ?? Cuz the only torn and restored card
trick I see is with Tyra Banks and the card ain't signed and it's not torn
face up.

Jacob Hartstra

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99

robinson <j...@frontiernet.net> schreef in berichtnieuws
7o5oed$1564$1...@node17.cwnet.frontiernet.net...
> )))))))))))))))))))))))))

No..I guess it's not on David Blaine: Magic Man?? overhere the video is
called David Blaine:Street magic...I believe it is his first TV
appearence...So you have seen another video..but that is OK...But there
should have ringed a bell, cause I was all the time talking over a signed
card....

all the best

Deathsdoor

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
No, it's on "Street Magic" and what was uncovered was that with a bit of
editing and the help from one of the crew he had them write Brandy on a
different card of the same suit and this is the one he ripped up. Somebody
posted a site which had a picture of what Brandy had written and what was
written on the ripped up card. The one he ripped up did look different when
compared with the original one. Taadaaah!!!! So with a little misdirection
the card is passed to Blaine. Who pops it on the top of the deck. Turns it
over quickly and then rips it up while the original signed card is still on
top of the deck.

You can even see the difference if you look closely.

Thankyou and goodnight.

--
Deathsdoor
knock@NO_SPAM_HEREdeathsdoor.freeserve.co.uk

robinson <j...@frontiernet.net> wrote in message

tcich3

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99

I know the trick you're talking about and let me just say, this effect
would be extremely difficult to impossible to pull off as you saw it.
This has massive amounts of pre-trick prep. If you have this special watch
this effect closely. Basically the card that Blaine flashes with brandy's
signature just prior to ripping it up...is not her signed card....thus the
reason for a quick flash to the spectator. Sure it has her name, but it's
not the original signature. So you're asking how's it done...There's a
couple of ways, but probably the easiest is a confederate.

Jacob Hartstra <jhar...@mailroom.com> wrote in article
<7o6eeo$cuo$1...@news.IAEhv.nl>...

> robinson <j...@frontiernet.net> schreef in berichtnieuws

> 7o5oed$1564$1...@node17.cwnet.frontiernet.net...
> > > >
> > > Well son, the card is FACE UP when he tears it......So it is you who
> > should
> > > watch the video over.
> > >
> > > (It's the trick with the girl named Brandy)
> > >
> > > )))))))))))
> > Is this on David Blaine: Magic Man ?? Cuz the only torn and restored
card
> > trick I see is with Tyra Banks and the card ain't signed and it's not
torn
> > face up.

JOSH

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
theres a book out by john lovick that teaches how to tear an restore a "signed"
card, but of course the torn card isn't the one with their sig

KHop829483

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
why so many people hate David Blaine?

Smile, It Helps.

Fothers

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
> why so many people hate David Blaine?

Jealousy ;)
Craig Fothergill
cr...@cfhome.freeserve.co.uk
ICQ: 31867137

William Page

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
Magically Yours in Christ,Bill Page,Magician and christian
illusion ideas

tcich3

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99

I'll tell you why. It's not a case of hating the guy, personally I don't
hate him, I just have a problem with the way his magic is presented in such
a way it appears impossible. He achieves this through extensive
post-production editing. In a lot of ways he's smart, magic was never
intended for a television audience, why? Because the method can be detected
simple by watching the effect over and over. However, the way Blaine
presents his effects there is no way to back track the effect, he doesn't
let you see everything prior to the magical moment. I personally feel he
cheapens the skill of the elite magicians. Don't get me wrong I think
Blaine has talent, but if he's all that...ask yourself why he never
performs live?

KHop829483 <khop8...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19990804132633...@ng-bd1.aol.com>...

> why so many people hate David Blaine?
>

> Smile, It Helps.

KHop829483

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
>Blaine has talent, but if he's all that...ask yourself why he never
>performs live?

You mean like his shows when they are filmed?
& feel the way he presents his magic is not for the stage e.t.c.

Smile, It Helps.

Mole

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99

Fothers <cr...@cfhome.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> > why so many people hate David Blaine?
>
> Jealousy ;)

yes and i think that DB has come along and brought a few tricks that we all
have access to and amazed the world ok the US and UK at least,he has a weird
look and in your face charm,though many say he suffers from zero charisma,he
still has the world at his feet thanks to PR etc...
Still the guy is good and we should all support a fellow magician and not
slag him off...

Mole

Christian Maas

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
I think he only does tv specials so if something goes wrong he doesn't tape
it.
If he does it live he'd be a fool if a trick went wrong.

KHop829483 wrote in message
<19990804171041...@ng-bh1.aol.com>...

William Page

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99

tcich3

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99

Is there an echo in here?

Deathsdoor <knock@NO_SPAM_HEREdeathsdoor.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in article
<7o6fjk$rfv$3...@neptunium.btinternet.com>...

> No, it's on "Street Magic" and what was uncovered was that with a bit of
> editing and the help from one of the crew he had them write Brandy on a
> different card of the same suit and this is the one he ripped up.
Somebody
> posted a site which had a picture of what Brandy had written and what was
> written on the ripped up card. The one he ripped up did look different
when
> compared with the original one. Taadaaah!!!! So with a little
misdirection
> the card is passed to Blaine. Who pops it on the top of the deck. Turns
it
> over quickly and then rips it up while the original signed card is still
on
> top of the deck.
>
> You can even see the difference if you look closely.
>
> Thankyou and goodnight.
>
> --
> Deathsdoor
> knock@NO_SPAM_HEREdeathsdoor.freeserve.co.uk
> I would like to die in my sleep, just like my grandfather,
> and not kicking and screaming like his passengers.

tcich3

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99

Exactly. I'd think people would be amazed if they could see what ends up on
the cutting room floor of a Blaine special. I think the Blaine mystic would
end right then and there. I will say I think he does have skill...take a
look at his most recent special, I believe the first card effect he did
with Tyra Banks, Many I talked with had no idea he did a Mercury card
fold...very nicely done.

Christian Maas <wer...@iae.nl> wrote in article
<7oanpd$dmt$1...@news.IAEhv.nl>...

S&T

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
While his style isn't something I would want to emulate, it's difficult to
argue with success. Apparently, DB used to hang out at the Viper Room in West
Hollywood and perform and impress the cool crowd there. If you've ever visited
the Viper Room, you know that the crowd is almost laughably aloof and too cool
to react to almost anything.

In my opinion, if you're good enough to impress your audience, your good
enough.

Steve Sharp

Mike

Aug 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/7/99