Key for trunk of 1992 Plymouth Acclaim

njoracle

Feb 16, 2006, 4:25:40 PM2/16/06
A friend has a 1992 Plymouth. As an original owner, she had one key that
would operate ignition, doors and trunk. About 5 years there was some
work done on the car. After that it took two keys, one operated the
ignition and doors and the other key operates the trunk. I don't know
what happened but I suspect the trunk lock was replaced.

My friend would like the trunk fixed to work with the main key so she
only has to worry about one key. I assume that a locksmith can change
the trunk lock tumblers to work with the main key. Is that correct?
Assuming it is, what would be a reasonable charge for that service if
she brought the car to the locksmith? She lives on the north side of
Chicago. I'm trying to convince her to live with both keys but she is
stubborn. ;-)

Joe Kesselman

Feb 16, 2006, 7:34:03 PM2/16/06
njoracle wrote:
> My friend would like the trunk fixed to work with the main key so she
> only has to worry about one key. I assume that a locksmith can change
> the trunk lock tumblers to work with the main key. Is that correct?

Probably, unless someone did something particularly weird.

> Assuming it is, what would be a reasonable charge for that service if
> she brought the car to the locksmith?

Ask locksmiths in that area. This varies by regional costs of doing
business.

Message has been deleted

njoracle

Feb 16, 2006, 9:00:20 PM2/16/06
--Shiva-- wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:34:03 -0500, you wrote:
>

>>njoracle wrote:
>>
>>>My friend would like the trunk fixed to work with the main key so she
>>>only has to worry about one key. I assume that a locksmith can change
>>>the trunk lock tumblers to work with the main key. Is that correct?
>>
>>Probably, unless someone did something particularly weird.
>>

>>>Assuming it is, what would be a reasonable charge for that service if
>>>she brought the car to the locksmith?
>>
>>Ask locksmiths in that area. This varies by regional costs of doing
>>business.
>
> BEFORE you try that.. you might try a penetrating lubricant.. WD
> 40.. or something similiar and make certain its actually keyed
> different..
>

> the last 3 I got calls on, were just a bit dirty and stuck..and
> freed up..
> --Shiva--

I talked to a local Chrysler dealer and he said if she had a key made
and the key was made on "valet" stock, that would explain why it would
work in the ignition and the door but not the trunk. I don't know if
that could be part of the problem or not.

Joe Kesselman

Feb 16, 2006, 9:05:08 PM2/16/06
njoracle wrote:
> I talked to a local Chrysler dealer and he said if she had a key made
> and the key was made on "valet" stock, that would explain why it would
> work in the ignition and the door but not the trunk. I don't know if
> that could be part of the problem or not.

That would explain a key not operating the trunk. It wouldn't explain a
trunk key not operating the door or ignition. Though wear and/or crud in
the lock *could* combine with a worn key... so yeah, Shiva's suggestion
of trying to clean the lock first and seeing whether that makes a
difference seems worth trying.

(I need to give my own car locks a shot or two, though I think the
problem is a worn-out key. Need to find the original I carefully put
aside when I got the car; I know where it *should* be but... Either
that, or do a cut-to-factory-depths "original" key.)

Message has been deleted

njoracle

Feb 16, 2006, 9:53:08 PM2/16/06
--Shiva-- wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 02:00:20 GMT, you wrote:
>

>>I talked to a local Chrysler dealer and he said if she had a key made
>>and the key was made on "valet" stock, that would explain why it would
>>work in the ignition and the door but not the trunk. I don't know if
>>that could be part of the problem or not.
>

> whats the year of the car and whats the number on the keyblank?
> --Shiva--

It's a 1992 Plymouth Acclaim. It may take a couple of days to get the
number on the key blank.

Message has been deleted

'Key

Feb 17, 2006, 12:37:02 AM2/17/06

"njoracle" <njor...@att.net> wrote in message

>A friend has a 1992 Plymouth. As an original owner, she had
>one key that would operate ignition, doors and trunk. About
>5 years there was some work done on the car. After that it
>took two keys, one operated the ignition and doors and the
>other key operates the trunk. I don't know what happened
>but I suspect the trunk lock was replaced.

or they may have lost her key and had one made incorrectly.
92 acclaim had two code series.
G1-1394 blank Y154
J1-3580 blank Y155
one key did fit all locks.

> My friend would like the trunk fixed to work with the main
> key so she only has to worry about one key. I assume that
> a locksmith can change the trunk lock tumblers to work
> with the main key. Is that correct? Assuming it is, what
> would be a reasonable charge for that service if she
> brought the car to the locksmith? She lives on the north
> side of Chicago. I'm trying to convince her to live with
> both keys but she is stubborn. ;-)

not sure of the price in Chicago.
prices vary depending on the geographical location.
around here, Louisiana.
the price would be around 25 to 35 bucks.
if the lock doesn't have to be replaced.

-
"Key"

njoracle

Feb 17, 2006, 10:58:10 AM2/17/06
--Shiva-- wrote:
> if its an aftermarket blank it might by a Y149 something along
> that line..
> if its a Axness copy, will have 2 numbers..
> cuts look worn?
> --Shiva--

The number on the key is Y157. I haven't seen the key but she tells me
it doesn't look worn.

I asked her to tell me again what is the story. Her account is as follows:

1. When she first bought the car in 1992, Chrysler supplied her with 2
master keys and 2 valet keys.

2. 5 years ago she took the car into the dealer for regular service and
the dealer lost the master key. She could not find the other master key
so she had to use the valet key. The valet key would not work in the
trunk. The dealer said he could not provide her with a new master key so
he gave her a key that would work in the trunk. She says it will not
work in the ignition. She said the dealer did not give her a new trunk lock.

3. I don't know why the dealer could not provide her with a new master
key. I suspect that he did in fact put in a new trunk lock and gave her
a key that would work in it. How else would you explain the fact that
the key that works in the trunk lock does not work in the ignition from
day one.

4. She wants me to call Chrysler, give them the VIN, and see if I can
get a new master key. I don't know if Chrysler can provide a new master
key but even if they could, I don't know if it would solve the problem
in light of the possibility (probability) of 3. above.

5. FWIW the car has 48,000 miles on it and she being 78 and on a fixed
income sees no need to get another car. I'm in NY and she is in Chicago
so I can't see what is going on.

njoracle

Feb 17, 2006, 11:00:10 AM2/17/06
'Key wrote:

> "njoracle" <njor...@att.net> wrote in message
>
>>A friend has a 1992 Plymouth. As an original owner, she had
>>one key that would operate ignition, doors and trunk. About
>>5 years there was some work done on the car. After that it
>>took two keys, one operated the ignition and doors and the
>>other key operates the trunk. I don't know what happened
>>but I suspect the trunk lock was replaced.
>

> or they may have lost her key and had one made incorrectly.

That's what I think happened. See my reply to Shiva.

> 92 acclaim had two code series.
> G1-1394 blank Y154
> J1-3580 blank Y155
> one key did fit all locks.
>

>>My friend would like the trunk fixed to work with the main
>>key so she only has to worry about one key. I assume that
>>a locksmith can change the trunk lock tumblers to work
>>with the main key. Is that correct? Assuming it is, what
>>would be a reasonable charge for that service if she
>>brought the car to the locksmith? She lives on the north
>>side of Chicago. I'm trying to convince her to live with
>>both keys but she is stubborn. ;-)
>

> not sure of the price in Chicago.
> prices vary depending on the geographical location.
> around here, Louisiana.
> the price would be around 25 to 35 bucks.
> if the lock doesn't have to be replaced.

Thanks for that ballpark.

> -
> "Key"

Message has been deleted

'Key

Feb 17, 2006, 2:12:51 PM2/17/06

> --Shiva-- wrote:

>>>It's a 1992 Plymouth Acclaim. It may take a couple of
>>>days to get the number on the key blank.
>>
>> if its an aftermarket blank it might by a Y149 something
>> along
>> that line..
>> if its a Axness copy, will have 2 numbers..
>> cuts look worn? --Shiva--
>>

> The number on the key is Y157. I haven't seen the key but
> she tells me it doesn't look worn.

Y157 is the wrong key blank for a 92..
maybe the trunk lock was replaced with the wrong replacement
?

> I asked her to tell me again what is the story. Her
> account is as follows:
>
> 1. When she first bought the car in 1992, Chrysler
> supplied her with 2 master keys and 2 valet keys.
>
> 2. 5 years ago she took the car into the dealer for
> regular service and the dealer lost the master key. She
> could not find the other master key so she had to use the
> valet key. The valet key would not work in the trunk. The
> dealer said he could not provide her with a new master key
> so he gave her a key that would work in the trunk. She
> says it will not work in the ignition. She said the dealer
> did not give her a new trunk lock.
>
> 3. I don't know why the dealer could not provide her with
> a new master key. I suspect that he did in fact put in a
> new trunk lock and gave her a key that would work in it.
> How else would you explain the fact that the key that
> works in the trunk lock does not work in the ignition from
> day one.

could very well be because of the incorrect blank.

> 4. She wants me to call Chrysler, give them the VIN, and
> see if I can get a new master key. I don't know if
> Chrysler can provide a new master key but even if they
> could, I don't know if it would solve the problem in light
> of the possibility (probability) of 3. above.

yes the dealer can provide a new master key if you give
them the complete and correct VIN.
or like Shiva stated, a locksmith (knowing the situation)
can help you rectify the problem..

g'luck
---
"Key"

njoracle

Feb 17, 2006, 2:33:59 PM2/17/06
--Shiva-- wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:58:10 GMT, you wrote:
>

>>2. 5 years ago she took the car into the dealer for regular service and
>>the dealer lost the master key. She could not find the other master key
>>so she had to use the valet key. The valet key would not work in the
>>trunk. The dealer said he could not provide her with a new master key so
>>he gave her a key that would work in the trunk. She says it will not
>>work in the ignition. She said the dealer did not give her a new trunk lock.
>>

> idiot dealer.. just copy onto the master blank..

>>3. I don't know why the dealer could not provide her with a new master
>>key. I suspect that he did in fact put in a new trunk lock and gave her
>>a key that would work in it. How else would you explain the fact that
>>the key that works in the trunk lock does not work in the ignition from
>>day one.
>
> a Y 157 is a 94 and NEWER lock system..so if thats the trunk key,
> he did in fact change out the lock..

She now gave me the number of the trunk key which is Y 154. My
understanding from the Chrysler NG is that Y 154 is the correct blank
for the master key for that car. Even though the Y 157 key is for a
newer lock system (as you pointed out), it works in the ignition but not
the trunk. The Y 154 is the key that works in the trunk but not the
ignition. Doesn't make any sense to me unless the Y 154 is slightly worn
so that it will work in the trunk but not the ignition. If that were to
be the case, then maybe a new Y 154 will solve the problem.

In any event it is way to complicated for those of us in our 70's so I
convinced her to take both keys to a locksmith to see if the locksmith
can figure it out.

Many thanks to you and the OP's for responding to this thread.
Hopefully, the locksmith will get it fixed.

>>4. She wants me to call Chrysler, give them the VIN, and see if I can
>>get a new master key. I don't know if Chrysler can provide a new master
>>key but even if they could, I don't know if it would solve the problem
>>in light of the possibility (probability) of 3. above.
>

> if you have the valet key-talk to a local 'smith and have him put
> it back on the master-BUT, this will not help the trunk
> situation..
> make CERTAIN its explaind to him what happened..

>>5. FWIW the car has 48,000 miles on it and she being 78 and on a fixed
>>income sees no need to get another car. I'm in NY and she is in Chicago
>>so I can't see what is going on.
>

> long distance stuff is fun..LOL.. btdt as well.
> price of a new trunk lock to THAT car? not a clue..if you really
> want to go back to the 1 key..
>
> --Shiva--

Message has been deleted

goma865

Feb 17, 2006, 8:51:26 PM2/17/06
Is'nt that G0-1394 (Y154)?

My book shows only one code for 90-92.
Could have started the other code during the year.

goma.

'Key

Feb 18, 2006, 1:43:07 AM2/18/06
"goma865" <gom...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Is'nt that G0-1394 (Y154)?

my bad...
G0 instead of G1 is correct.

> My book shows only one code for 90-91

in genericode,
the code series G1-G1394 covers years 89-92
and the first of some 92 models.

> Could have started the other code during the year.

yep, 92..
--
"Key"