Re: Kwikset TITAN Loose Latch Problem

Leon Rowell

Mar 10, 2005, 11:36:57 AM3/10/05
David,

It sounds like the boss that the interior screws go into are too long or
the screws themselves are too long. I would take the screws out one at a
time and take 1/16" off of them first. If that doesn't help take the
lockset apart and grind a 1/16" or so off of the boss (or towers) that
the screws screw into.

Leon Rowell

David wrote:

> I have a Kwikset TITAN on the front door of my home that is about 4
> years old. It is a "sectional handleset with single cylinder
> deadbolt." Over time, the lower part of the handleset (not the
> deadbolt) has become loose, allowing the interior and exterior handles
> to slide left and right about 1/8 to 1/4 inch, with the latch mechanism
> moving accordingly in its channel. The latch mechanism is not held in
> place with screws -- it looks like the kind that is tapped into place.
>
> The result of all this is that when closing the door, the latch
> mechanism often slides far enough out of its channel to strike the
> doorframe, preventing the door from closing (and denting the doorframe
> too).
>
> I have tried tapping the latch mechanism back into the door, but it
> never stays. I have tried tightening the screws on the interior
> handle, but they are already very tight.
>
> Any ideas how to solve this problem? Is it a problem with the lockset,
> the door, or the installation?
>
> Thank you!

David

Mar 10, 2005, 10:52:58 AM3/10/05

Roger Shoaf

Mar 10, 2005, 11:47:38 AM3/10/05
First off you have what is called a drive in latch. These are held in by
friction.

The loose handles are because of screws backing out.

To fix, remove the handles and the latch. Wrap a piece of paper or
electricians tape around the latch and see if you can get it snug again.
Then re-attach the handles. you should be able to snug the handle screws
tight enough so the handles do not need to rely on the latch for support.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.
"David" <dle...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Mar 10, 2005, 4:50:09 PM3/10/05
Some really thoughtful suggestions. Other answer might be to remove one
screw from the inside handle and put a split washer around the srew. Put
the screw back in, and then do the other one. Might hold the lock tighter to
the door.

Kwikset products are designed for door thickness 1 3/8 inch to 1 3/4, and
sounds like your door is a whisker too thin.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David" <dle...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

David

Mar 10, 2005, 10:48:15 PM3/10/05
Thank you for the excellent suggestions. The problem turned out to be
the length of the screws, as suggested. The original screws were 2
inches long. I cut them down to about 1.75 inches and the handle is
now tight and the latch is firmly in place. Thanks!