Microsoft Quickbasic 4.5 for FREE!

Art Swan

Oct 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/13/98
Download full working version of Microsoft Quickbasic 4.5 for DOS
at http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bay/4943/files.html. No
charge. Totally FREE!

wal...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
In article <36240...@207.71.36.3>,

Is this legal? I hear that Microsoft has some really good lawyers, and I
never want to tangle with them.

Walt Hucks.

jdm

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
wal...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message
<704591$r5e$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>In article <36240...@207.71.36.3>,
> "Art Swan" <art...@ktc.com> wrote:
>> Download full working version of Microsoft Quickbasic 4.5 for DOS
>> at http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bay/4943/files.html. No
>> charge. Totally FREE!
>>

>Is this legal? I hear that Microsoft has some really good lawyers,
and I
>never want to tangle with them.

No, but Microsoft's lawyers have bigger fish to fry right now. The
only lawyer you have to worry about is your own conscience and common
sense.

Steve Rush

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
>Is this legal? I hear that Microsoft has some really good lawyers, and
>never want to tangle with them.

Don't worry about a lawsuit. Worry about what that "FREE!" compiler might do
to you system. Do you really want to execute that much machine code, no
sources available, from an untrusted source?

Get FirstBasic. It's only $25. Feed "BASIC compiler" to your favorite search
engine and sift through the million-odd hits for some free implementations.
None of them is QB, but some have features that QB lacks.

If it's spam, it's a scam. Don't do business with Net abusers.

L. Francisco Abarca

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
QBASIC 4.5 isn't there!!!

Judson McClendon

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
My guess is, Microsoft's lawyers made a call to Geocities, and the
download was pulled, zip!
--
Judson McClendon judm...@bellsouth.net (remove numbers)
Sun Valley Systems http://personal.bhm.bellsouth.net/~judmc

L. Francisco Abarca wrote:
>QBASIC 4.5 isn't there!!!

dfs

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
iT DOESNT MATTER. Not all the files were included anyway.
Obviously some bogus moron.

wal...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
In article
<47786C2956E35F71.8010D5CA...@library-proxy.airnews.net
>, "jdm" <jdm1intxDIE...@airmail.net> wrote:

> >Is this legal? I hear that Microsoft has some really good lawyers,
> and I
> >never want to tangle with them.
> >

> No, but Microsoft's lawyers have bigger fish to fry right now. The
> only lawyer you have to worry about is your own conscience and common
> sense.

Common sense and my conscience tell me to avoid any such "free" downloads.
I'd hate to see my own work stolen and given away for free. I won't do it to
them, either.

Walt Hucks

Misty

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
Microsoft must have forfeited any legal rights to qbasic 1.1 since they
give it away for free at:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/contents/admintools/w95olddosutil/default.asp

Misty

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
wal...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> In article
> <47786C2956E35F71.8010D5CA...@library-proxy.airnews.net
> >, "jdm" <jdm1intxDIE...@airmail.net> wrote:
>

> > >Is this legal? I hear that Microsoft has some really good lawyers,
> > and I
> > >never want to tangle with them.

Alex Warren

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
On 17 Oct 1998 07:22:48 GMT, Misty pondered:

> Microsoft must have forfeited any legal rights to qbasic 1.1 since they
> give it away for free at:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/contents/admintools/w95olddosutil/default.asp

Giving software away for free does NOT mean you abandon all rights to it.

Read my article in the Basix Fanzine - it will tell you all you need to know on
the subject. It's in issue 12.

Alex Warren
email: alexw...@writeme.com · ICQ: 4043750

http://come.to/axe - Axe Software: freeware for DOS & Windows
http://come.to/basixfanzine - Basix Fanzine: magazine for BASIC programmers
http://members.tripod.com/~perditionproductions - mods (IT format)
(please reply to the newsgroup - if you must reply by email, change the anti-
spam rubbish to the email address above)

jdm

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
Misty wrote in message <362844...@bg.com>...
>snip<

>Microsoft must have forfeited any legal rights to qbasic 1.1 since
they
>give it away for free at:

We're not talking about QBasic 1.1. We're talking about Quick Basic
4.5. There is a huge difference. QBasic is just a little toy subset
of the Quick Basic IDE that Microsoft started giving away beginning
with DOS 5.0, just to replace <gag> GWBASIC.

And besides, Microsoft has not given away all rights to QBasic by
giving it away free. Just try relabelling it and selling it as
something else, and you'll find out real quick that Microsoft is still
quite protective of it.

jdm

Catclaw

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98

> Get FirstBasic. It's only $25. Feed "BASIC compiler" to your favorite
search
> engine and sift through the million-odd hits for some free
implementations.

Wuzup everybody...

First of all, there's no free Qb on that site...
Now second, Steve... You never stop trying to sell your shit, huh?
I think everybody heard enough about your FirstBasic.
No, because you work on PowerBasic doesn't mean you gotto
tell us all, all days long, "Get FirstBasic". Cut that shit bro.

And, well, parts of QB 4.5 is actually free for download.
The diffrence is that not all of the doc's follow this free version.
Get it at:
http://www.algonet.se/~emden/filer/qb45.zip

Iman Mirbloki
Caddy Softwares

http://catclaw.cjb.net
iman...@usa.net

wal...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
In article <362845...@bg.com>,
Mi...@bg.com wrote:

> Microsoft must have forfeited any legal rights to qbasic 1.1 since they
> give it away for free at:

> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/contents/admintools/w95olddosutil/default.asp

QBASIC 1.1 is not Quick BASIC 4.5. But in any case, they are both
copyrighted. Even if MS gives one or both away free, that doesn't give you
or I that right. We have to have permission, unless it is "public domain."

But then, it isn't really just a legal issue. If I give my own work away,
that's my choice. But that doesn't mean _you_ can give it away. If
Microsoft gives QBASIC 1.1 away, that doesn't mean that someone completely
unrelated can give away Quick BASIC 4.5 or even give away the identical
program that MS gives away.

anonie...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2015, 12:17:29 PM10/25/15
Op dinsdag 13 oktober 1998 09:00:00 UTC+2 schreef Art Swan:
> Download full working version of Microsoft Quickbasic 4.5 for DOS
> at http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bay/4943/files.html. No
> charge. Totally FREE!

this link doesnt work d*ck...

Paul Bartlett

Oct 25, 2015, 2:19:13 PM10/25/15
And even if it did work, would the so-called "free" copy be legal even
if one did download it? I doubt it. Even though Microsoft quit
selling QuickBasic 4.5 (and I myself DO have a legally purchased copy)
eons ago, so far as I understand (I am not a lawyer) it is still their
property. Just because they no longer sell it does not mean that it is
in the public domain and up for free grabs. It may still be illegal to
acquire it if one does not purchase an otherwise legal copy. That is
what intellectual property law is all about. So far as I know,
something like FreeBasic is (more or less) compatible with QuickBasic
4.5 and also has extensions and works on later platforms. And again,
so far as I know, FreeBasic really is (legally) free. Don't be a
pirate.

--
Paul Bartlett

Yuhler G

Oct 26, 2015, 2:45:08 PM10/26/15

On article <alpine.NEB.2.11.1...@panix2.panix.com>,
Or even QB64 <http://www.qb64.net/> ;-)

--
Best,
Yuhler G.

Due to spam I'm filtering-out GoogleGroups. Sorry. :(

pedro

Oct 26, 2015, 9:01:45 PM10/26/15
On Sun, 25 Oct 2015 09:17:28 -0700 (PDT), anonie...@gmail.com
wrote:
17 years old, and you expected it would? New to the planet are you?

Auric__

Oct 28, 2015, 11:13:53 AM10/28/15
My thoughts exactly.

--
Will you be my partner in Dance Dance Strangulation?

bazzathed...@gmail.com

May 15, 2016, 11:56:26 PM5/15/16
16th may 2016; 201605161513hrs, standard superstardate.
dunno who I am talking to out here in the reeling world,
but can anybody just please answer my question, in fact, it would be nice if everybody had a go at answering it, and actually, on second-thoughts, it's turned into two questions, or maybe three, or more...
okay, I will think before typing.
done. questions:
(*)first: obviously downloading quickbasic, QB4.5 or similar for today's modern equipment is a risky thing, so the question is not so much "should I risk it" but what _exactly_, step-by-step, should I please do in order to fix everything when it DOES go wrong? <--I think it's inevitable, and programming experience teaches us when we get into random-file-accessing, using machine code, that we just should always have a "spare" computer to mutilate the poor mind of, and have an easy way to reset it quickly... for example, in the early days, an Apple][ just had a floppy drive, heaps of fun features (kept us amused 30 years ago) and if anything went "wrong" you just switched it off and back on again, because there were no "hard drives" around to store viruses/worms/Trojans/botnets/whatever's-next onto. The modern "computer" is a hard-drive, with an operating system, playing out through the peripherals, as opposed to the old stuff which was actually a giant super-calculator, with some amusing extra features like a speaker or 4 colour output (including BLACK!)
---so, in light of this, sorry about the revision process above, but to restate the question:
Q: What's the be-all-and-end-all way to be running this qb45 download in this real-stupid real-version of the real 21st century?
I kind-of didn't _want_ windows 10, and I was rather used to windows 7,
and somehow, everybody skipped a couple of version numbers on me, and,
well, I'm glad they finally did away with that stupid
"version point oh three five two seven gold professional five platinum" bulldust they started, but...
now, I dunno if taking a break for six months will mean we have run out of windows version numbers, and have moved on into using the alphabet ...
or the _greek_ alphabet.
please. anybody? I can't just switch it off anymore and start with the equivalent of "C" on the calculator like I want.
I am and always was a serious coder. Basic is English. I like English. C++ is Russian and Germanic grammar. I have to think like I'm trying to impersonate Yoda in order to get the words and numbers out in the right order, and I just never can remember all the unnecessary ";" when people reading my code expect a new line for every instruction anyhow. i.e: Why ";" all the time, if there's already a carriage-return and a line-feed? I hate that. And I went to tech college to learn C++ for gaming, so that screenmodes and soundcards would all work, after years of finally getting that stuff right in basic anyhow, so, after all that study, it turned out that our "student C++" package (for a GAME authoring course) had only TEXT-MODE available to it. I hated them for that, dropped it, real fast, complained a lot, will never be allowed to work with those people ever in this lifetime because of it... etc. and I just want to, today, write a simple short basic program on my uber-complicated new laptop, just like it was a fun thing to do thirty years ago, and make a loud pitch inaudible to humans out of the loudspeaker to
SHUT THE NEIGHBOUR'S DOG UP IN THE MORNINGS!
I can write the code in my head, and I can't do it on my super new machine.
or rather, I _can_, BUT Microsoft thinks it's THEIR "personal" computer..
I have only just bought this new computer, for a bargain $500 at the start of april (superstardate 2016040?XXXXhrs <--no joke, nearly april 1st, in the morning) and it set itself up in a really LOOOOOOOONG half an hour, and I could play DVDs on it and everything... (nothing special there, right? I could play DVDs all the time on the windows 7 laptop I had) but after ONE MONTH, the antivirus ran out, wanted more MONEY (extortion) and well, I suppose I should be thankful that it TOLD me when it was ABOUT to run out... so, I, quickly, looked for the "factory reset" options, then found them (*whew* thought they might have tried to HIDE that option) ... then I reset the machine... but, NOW IT WON'T PLAY DVDs... (oh yeah, sure, it CAN, but I have to download new software - WHAT if I don't LIKE the internet? what if I just want a nice stable calculator with a speaker and 4 colours on it? Apparently I have to build the bugger myself... unless I know Scotty from startrek personally, right? maybe I do, but I don't think he'd like me telling everybody on the internet. I'd get to clean the warp core on Friday afternoons for that. )
so, maybe this is a long question... maybe this is a hard question, but I hope you can ENJOY it, but if you, yourself, reading this, are the racket of coders that MADE THINGS like this, stop taking credit for all the real-life comedy in our lives, and FIX the stupid rubbish.) ...and, now for question #2... whew.
Q.#2: who _writes_ this shit?
Q.#3: there's gotta be a switch or a jumper-pin that can fix the computer back to factory settings like it was brand new, surely... I may need a romulan screwdriver, I'd bet, but I'm also sure we can get those... I want the computer to play DVDs when I reformat and reinstall windows... but I also want to know I can mangle the mind of this computer and then flick one switch and have it back to as good as the day it was born. So, this is just the same old question as nearly everyone is asking, but developed into more clarity.
I should not need to _care_ about the "risks" to my computer system if I download something suspicious... I should be able to recognise that it's ALL unsafe, sooner or later, and that I just backup things I want to keep on a regular basis, and be prepared to wipe anything and everything off the system and start from scratch at any time, in fact, EVERY time I go "online" ...
...and... so... that said, I've been putting off getting FULLY back into BASIC programming for a long time now, and I really want to just get back to doing some original work and _sharing_ it, coz there's no money in it and that's precisely why they insist these days on wasting everybody's TIME... so I happen to have come up with THE most amusing software POSSIBLE, and I want to share that, because nobody likes time anyhow... unless they have something to do... which means they won't be reading this... unless they want to help fix this issue I brought up.
So, in closing, I'd like to say thanks for reading this far,
and thus I shall give you the benefit of a doubt; how much did you need?
RESPOND NOW, OR YOU WILL BE ELIMINATED, uh, from my problem-solutions-list.
peace.

Auric__

May 16, 2016, 3:24:05 AM5/16/16
bazzathedestructor wrote:

> 16th may 2016; 201605161513hrs, standard superstardate.
> dunno who I am talking to out here in the reeling world,
> but can anybody just please answer my question, in fact, it would be
> nice if everybody had a go at answering it, and actually, on
> second-thoughts, it's turned into two questions, or maybe three, or
> more... okay, I will think before typing.
> done. questions:
[words words words]
> RESPOND NOW, OR YOU WILL BE ELIMINATED, uh, from my
> problem-solutions-list.

Wow. Well, let's tackle that one plot point at a time:

1. It appears that you want a modern BASIC that'll work under Windows 10
(and presumably both older and future versions as well). You want one
that is more or less compatible with QuickBASIC 4.5. (I recommend not
developing with QB due to the lack of DOS support in 64-bit systems.)
You specifically do *not* want QB64 (and really, I don't blame you).

The best answer I can give you is FreeBASIC:
http://www.freebasic.net/
Compatible with versions of Microsoft BASIC at least as old as GW-BASIC
(using appropriate compiler switches).

If you really want to use QuickBASIC, and you're running a 64-bit version
of Windows, you'll need to run DOS (or a 32-bit version of Windows) in an
emulator. There are a number of free emulators around; I use VMware
Player, but there's also Virtual PC, VirtualBox, Bochs, DOSBox, Qemu, and
a host of others. Google can help you find one

As for a free DOS, there's FreeDOS:
http://www.freedos.org/
...or DR-DOS:
http://www.drdosprojects.de/

If you want a free, legal 32-bit Windows, you'll have to settle for
ReactOS, which has never made it past "alpha" despite *20 years* of
development:
http://www.reactos.org/

(All of this assumes you already have QuickBASIC.)

2. "who _writes_ this shit?"
You claim to be a programmer; answer that one yourself.

3. Reset to factory settings via a jumper (or whatever):
Some PC manufacturers include a hidden "restore" partition that will do
what you want. (How you access said partition is manufacturer-dependant.)
Others include a restore disk, although I understand that's becoming
rather rare.

If you put your computer together (and I'm guessing you didn't), you
would need to erase the drive and reinstall Windows and all apps
yourself. Not difficult, but tedious and time-consuming (and requires
install media for Windows and all the programs).

4. You mention not wanting to care about the risks of modern computing. You
must, or else you *WILL* end up with every virus on earth bogging your
computer down and likely performing criminal activities that *will*
affect you. There are numerous free antivirus programs available; I use
AVG Free, but there are others that are just as good (or better). Google
can help you find one.

5. In the future, I suggest putting blank lines between paragraphs as I
have. This will vastly improve the readability of your posts.

--
They never ran out of courage. But in the end, they ran out of time.

rk9799...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2018, 4:05:49 AM2/4/18
On Tuesday, October 13, 1998 at 12:30:00 PM UTC+5:30, Art Swan wrote:
> Download full working version of Microsoft Quickbasic 4.5 for DOS
> at http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bay/4943/files.html. No
> charge. Totally FREE!

FAke

Auric__

Feb 4, 2018, 10:26:47 AM2/4/18
It's not fake, it's ***NINETEEN FUCKING YEARS OLD!!!***

--
Don't sit with your back to any doors.

file...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2018, 7:54:17 AM2/6/18
On Tuesday, October 13, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Art Swan wrote:
> Download full working version of Microsoft Quickbasic 4.5 for DOS
> at http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bay/4943/files.html. No
> charge. Totally FREE!

It does not work for 64-Bit Windows but QB64 does!

Auric__

Feb 6, 2018, 12:55:34 PM2/6/18
Jesus christ, did you not see my reply to the last idiot? IT HAS BEEN
***NINETEEN YEARS!!!*** Let it drop.

Also, FreeBASIC performs better than QB64 IMO.

--
The ritual is adding to the stress that this place naturally has.

rajesh.b...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2019, 10:34:50 AM2/20/19

Tom Lake

Mar 2, 2019, 6:33:41 AM3/2/19