*** RELEASE of ircII 2.1.5 ***

Carl von Loesch

Dec 13, 1991, 4:53:46 PM12/13/91
--> Let me introduce you to ircII 2.1.5.

Another quality product (hopefully) of the house BigCheese & Sons.
ircII is a client program to the Internet Relay Chat for *ix systems.

First, I'll tell you what's new since ircII 2.1.4*, roughly:
ircII 2.1.5
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> The command /who -h and -s is no more supported.
> Introduced { and } in scripts, see script/finger for an example.
New also: You can indent things in a script. See also /help load.
> Behaviour of HOLD_MODE has changed, won't hold when you are being active
in that window. I like it a lot more, it's not so disturbing anymore.
> Away messages are displayed only once, when talking to someone who is away
unless you /set show_away_once off.
> You don't get disturbed by cryptic but trivial CTCP requests, unless
you /set verbose_ctcp on.
> Improved handling of process prompts, but INPUT_PROMPT must be set.
> ircII can now load scripts and help files in compressed form.
> All the scripts have been updated and many helpfiles written and
rewritten. Many bugs have been fixed, support of newer server features
added, this client is already 2.7-capable.

> There have been major changes in the command parser. Commands are not
expected to have a leading / unless entered interactively, if you
experience incompatibilities, you will have to add 'say' and 'send'
wherever you have made aliases that send to the channel or query.
See also /help ircII programming for this. Also the ';' has a new
meaning as command seperator within ALIAS, BIND and ON. You might have
to \escape it.

> The good news: Scripts are much more readable and understandable, look
a lot less ugly now :) COMMAND_MODE gives command-oriented freaks the
chance to use ircII that way. A special script for MUDders has been added
that emulates an Aber/LPMUD-like environment on irc, without having to
type / before "smile" and allowing "'<text>" for "say" etc.

> CTCP ACTION has been implemented which permits you to send descriptions
of actions/'feelings' to other people on channels and even through
queries. You can use it with /me and the action script.
See also: /help load action.

The new ircII comes in 2 compressed tape archives:
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ircadm irc 284882 Dec 13 21:27 ircII2.1.5.tar.Z
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ircadm irc 112279 Dec 13 20:21 ircIIhelp2.1.5.tar.Z

One contains the source code, the other the help files.
If you are in the U.S. you might choose to install the client without
documentation, and use the ircIIhelp service for that. Depends on your
network distance from umich.edu, where that service runs.
Sites in other places of the world should get both files.

Now let me tell you where you can get all this from:
(using anonymous ftp)

For Europe: (without Scandinavia)
ftp ftp.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (that is 134.106.1.9)
cd /pub/irc

For Scandinavia:
ftp nic.funet.fi (128.214.6.100)
cd ~pub/unix/irc

For the rest of the planet:
ftp cs.bu.edu (128.197.2.1)
cd /irc

Hope you will all... well... most of you... enjoy this new version!
-lynX
--
o! Carl 'lynx' v. Loesch _\/_ loe...@informatik.uni-oldenburg.de !o