Recommend a Low Amperage Draw Window AC Unit for old Building?

已查看 18 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

purplefringe

未读,
2006年7月29日 01:09:192006/7/29
收件人
I have an AC question if someone would mind to take a stab at it.

I live in Brooklyn, NY. I靶e lived in the current apartment for many years:
the building is old, World War II era and is wired with solid copper wire
insulated by a hard black insulator (looks like a totally oxidized black
rubber) and the outside is enclosed by a cloth sheath. As you can imagine due
to its age, much of the wiring零 insulator is hard and when handled cracks
and crumbles. The apartment (a VERY large place, 3 bathrooms) is wired for
what I assume was a minimal electrical/appliance usage for the era and as
such the rooms only have 2 electrical outlets each.

It零 my apartment and four of us live here.
I do not use an AC unit because of the amperage draw. One of my roommates got
an AC unit last summer and did not heed my warning to research start/run
amperage draw for various AC units. She just went to PC Richards and bought
one, I assume on looks and price. Her room is connected to one of the kitchen
circuits and other room circuits. When the AC runs and someone uses the
kitchen toaster or coffee maker, the breaker (15amp) pops off.

An inconvenience, but if she can live with continual interrupted electricity
(and if one other roommate can endure it as well as he shares a circuit with
her) than so be it. If push comes to shove I雍l demand she either get rid of
the AC unit altogether or replace it with one that has a lower amperage draw.
A big pain in the butt at best.

However, today I come home to a bombshell: another roommate informs me that
she has ALSO bought an AC unit. I had casually mentioned to her in the past
about amperage ratings etc., but she apparently chose to ignore or disregard
the info. Her room looks also connected to this circuit and when I came home
she informed me that the breaker with 2 AC units was popping off every ten
minutes.

At this point I雋 going to tell her that she will have to return her unit and
live with a fan like I do.

However, I was wondering if someone who knows the products currently
manufactured can recommend an AC unit that has amongst the lowest start
up/run amperage of the models available (what would be responsible for the
circuit breaker going off, the run voltage??). The rooms are approximately
1400 cubic feet in size. I雋 looking for a unit that will modestly cool the
rooms (it does NOT have to do an arctic freeze as my roommates will have to
settle for what can function in the apartment). The apartment is wired for
110V. Price is not an object as I will not be dishing out the money (though
lower prices units are more desirable).

Any ideas?

Al Moran

未读,
2006年7月29日 01:23:372006/7/29
收件人
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 05:09:19 GMT, purplefringe
<purple...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Any ideas?

Yeah, shoot yourself you cheap ass fuck before they do. Ever heard of
an electrician?

Don Ocean

未读,
2006年7月29日 02:12:362006/7/29
收件人

Paul has some Wind-up units! But you have to really bug him to get him
to sell you one! ;-)

purplefringe

未读,
2006年7月29日 03:12:282006/7/29
收件人
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 01:23:37 -0400, Al Moran wrote
(in article <d4slc25be5e211oqe...@4ax.com>):

> Yeah, shoot yourself you cheap ass fuck before they do. Ever heard of
> an electrician?

I have heard of them and maybe one who has been around can suggest low
amperage load AC units....that's all I'm looking for.
OTOH, yes my landlord is not only cheap, he's a certified slumlord and the
one time he hired an electrician ...to do an electrical upgrade in the
building ... he ripped the guy off and never paid him. He will upgrade and/or
approve an upgrade only with a gun to his head and then with great
reluctance.

Thanks for the kind words...

purplefringe

未读,
2006年7月29日 03:14:042006/7/29
收件人
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 02:12:36 -0400, Don Ocean wrote
(in article <4j0c8bF...@individual.net>):

> Paul has some Wind-up units! But you have to really bug him to get him
> to sell you one! ;-)

Paul, sell me one.
I'll need a power rig like old man Roth used in Soylent Green s well.

Stormin Mormon

未读,
2006年7月29日 08:44:202006/7/29
收件人
Breakers trip because the appliances use too much amperage. That's
what they are designed to do.

An AC with either smaller BTU rating, or a rotary compressor should
draw less amperage. The amperage should be listed in the literature
some where with the unit. Or on a sticker on the unit.

The answer appears to be twofold. First, you need a time sharing
schedule for the power. AC may only be run while the person is home,
and they trade off every half hour. Person one gets the power from 00
to 30 minutes, and person two gets from 30 to 60.

Second, the toaster and coffee maker simply must go. Either that, or
they need their own designated hour.

As an alternative, folks with AC can be kind, and leave the door open
while AC running, and fan in the doorway. Or the AC can be put in a
common area to benefit everyone.

Have you considered asking the landlord permission to hire your own
electrician, and pay him yourself? A couple new circuits sound like a
good idea.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"purplefringe" <purple...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Moe Jones

未读,
2006年7月29日 10:20:272006/7/29
收件人
Call a electrician out to check your wiring and let them giver you a price
on adding a circuit for each A/C unit before you burn down the building.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

"purplefringe" <purple...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Al Moran

未读,
2006年7月29日 10:35:382006/7/29
收件人

Fuck off. According to you "It's my apartment..."

.p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

未读,
2006年7月29日 06:52:122006/7/29
收件人

What, you want snacks, too ?

But seeing as you asked so nice, I sent you a free wind-up in
a post just now :-)

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

.p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

未读,
2006年7月29日 06:51:142006/7/29
收件人
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 07:12:28 GMT, purplefringe
<purple...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 01:23:37 -0400, Al Moran wrote
>(in article <d4slc25be5e211oqe...@4ax.com>):
>
>> Yeah, shoot yourself you cheap ass fuck before they do. Ever heard of
>> an electrician?
>
>I have heard of them and maybe one who has been around can suggest low
>amperage load AC units....that's all I'm looking for.
> OTOH, yes my landlord is not only cheap, he's a certified slumlord and the

And dollars to doughnuts you're living under rent control,
right ? How much are you paying for this "very large place with 3
bathrooms' in NYC ? and what would 'fair market value' be if it were
up for rent to a new tenant without rent control ?

Are you one of these people living in a $ 3,000 / month
apartment for $ 300 / month rent ? You and your 3 roomates ?

>one time he hired an electrician ...to do an electrical upgrade in the
>building ... he ripped the guy off and never paid him. He will upgrade and/or
>approve an upgrade only with a gun to his head and then with great
>reluctance.

Which is still somewhat easier than raising the rent, which he
can't do at all.

>Thanks for the kind words...

Oscar_Lives

未读,
2006年7月29日 14:21:422006/7/29
收件人

"purplefringe" <purple...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Find a new apartment or else get your landlord to repair the current
apartment to bring all of its systems up to code conformance.

Oscar_Lives

未读,
2006年7月29日 14:23:062006/7/29
收件人

<.p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 07:14:04 GMT, purplefringe
> <purple...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 02:12:36 -0400, Don Ocean wrote
>>(in article <4j0c8bF...@individual.net>):
>>

>>> Paul has some Wind-up units! But you have to really bug him to get him
>>> to sell you one! ;-)
>>
>>Paul, sell me one.
>>I'll need a power rig like old man Roth used in Soylent Green s well.
>
> What, you want snacks, too ?
>
> But seeing as you asked so nice, I sent you a free wind-up in
> a post just now :-)

You should have also sent him a free "reach around".

Dido

未读,
2006年7月30日 09:05:412006/7/30
收件人
Well my friend you have used word "she"
maybe if she stop using vibrator and you help her out
she perhaps would be able to sleep much cooler
Don't be a drag help poor thing out
mother nature compel us to be nice to each other
from DIDO

"purplefringe" <purple...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Actually-Interested-in-the-Subject

未读,
2014年9月16日 21:44:012014/9/16
收件人
replying to purplefringe, Actually-Interested-in-the-Subject wrote:
Great question! I'm also looking for low amperage air conditioner for a
vintage camper. There is one at Walmart for $164.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16440420?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227009371847&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42968167232&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=81460349912&veh=sem

--

Tony944

未读,
2014年9月24日 21:08:042014/9/24
收件人
My Dear Sir it looks like that you are like "call girl" like to get paid but
don't like to get fuck
Sorry but I am unable to put it any other way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Actually-Interested-in-the-Subject" wrote in message

redsky

未读,
2019年5月7日 20:44:032019/5/7
收件人
replying to purplefringe, redsky wrote:
By any chance does your land lord go by the name of TRUMP ? aka the orange
dotard.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/hvac/recommend-a-low-amperage-draw-window-ac-unit-for-old-buildin-2095-.htm

amdx

未读,
2019年5月11日 18:55:322019/5/11
收件人
On 5/7/2019 7:44 PM, redsky wrote:
> replying to purplefringe, redsky wrote:
> By any chance does your land lord go by the name of TRUMP ? aka the orange
> dotard.

Seems Trump is occupying a large part of your brain, hope he gets
another four years of residency there.

Mikek
0 个新帖子