First Red Riding, now this!

1 view

The White Lady

Mar 13, 2009, 8:30:30 AM3/13/09

Kishin

Mar 13, 2009, 10:15:51 AM3/13/09
"The White Lady" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:mdkkr450josl8ddjg...@4ax.com...
> http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a149420/the-wire-to-air-on-bbc-two.html
>
> Thank God.

"The Wire" is a decent enough show, but I grew bored with it halfway through
the second season and stopped watching it.

--

Kishin

Andrew

Mar 14, 2009, 10:43:45 AM3/14/09

Decent? THE WIRE was one of the best things on television.

Andrew

ColonelBlimp

Mar 14, 2009, 1:06:01 PM3/14/09

How are the Beeb going to fit the WHOLE BLOODY LOT on BBC2 in just one week?!?

--
Rt Hon Col Blimp
"6 reels of Joy"

DeadRodentTyping

Mar 15, 2009, 5:30:45 PM3/15/09
"Kishin" <no...@idonotthinkso.com> wrote in

I felt it was somewhat overrated myself, but then I used to watch SIX FEET
UNDER.

Anyhoo...the second season is the worst, with that obnoxious union boss
who's just begging to be shot in the head. If you want to cook up sympathy
for the working-class, try not to do it with a character who's a
thouroughly corrupt asshole. In comparison, the low-level thugs are much
more likely to garner empathy from the audience, because the show does such
a great job of showing how the environment leads to their crimes.

--
"We're helpless, like a turned-over tortoise in the sun. Sure, our bellies
are warm for now. But soon it will be dark...and then the crows will

Kishin

Mar 16, 2009, 10:47:12 AM3/16/09

"DeadRodentTyping" <DeadRode...@alreadydead.edu> wrote in message

> "Kishin" <no...@idonotthinkso.com> wrote in
>
>> "The White Lady" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>> http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a149420/the-wire-to-air-on-bbc-two.html
>>>
>>> Thank God.
>>
>> "The Wire" is a decent enough show, but I grew bored with it halfway
>> through the second season and stopped watching it.
>>
> I felt it was somewhat overrated myself, but then I used to watch SIX FEET
> UNDER.
>
> Anyhoo...the second season is the worst, with that obnoxious union boss
> who's just begging to be shot in the head. If you want to cook up sympathy
> for the working-class, try not to do it with a character who's a
> thouroughly corrupt asshole. In comparison, the low-level thugs are much
> more likely to garner empathy from the audience, because the show does
> such
> a great job of showing how the environment leads to their crimes.

Hmmm...maybe it'll give it another shot, starting with season 3.

--

Kishin

DeadRodentTyping

Mar 17, 2009, 4:06:21 PM3/17/09
"Kishin" <no...@idonotthinkso.com> wrote in

The last two seasons were the best, IMHO. Although season two had some good
moments too, especially the crime scene reconstruction where the only
diaglog is "Fuuuuuck".

Kishin

Mar 18, 2009, 10:20:00 AM3/18/09

"DeadRodentTyping" <DeadRode...@alreadydead.edu> wrote in message

Was that season 2? I was thinking it was 1. Whichever, it was a hilarious
scene.
"Fuck," "Fuck fuck fuck," "Fucking A," "Fuck," "Fuck me," "Fuck fuck."

--

Fucking Kishin

genegr...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2009, 1:28:41 AM3/26/09
On Mar 13, 8:30 am, The White Lady <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a149420/the-wire-to-air-on-bbc-two.html
>
> Thank God.

In-DEED.

genegr...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2009, 1:29:21 AM3/26/09
On Mar 13, 10:15 am, "Kishin" <no...@idonotthinkso.com> wrote:
> "The White Lady" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in messagenews:mdkkr450josl8ddjg...@4ax.com...

> >http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a149420/the-wire-to-air-on-bbc-two.html
>
> > Thank God.
>
> "The Wire" is a decent enough show, but I grew bored with it halfway through
> the second season and stopped watching it.
>
> --
>
> Kishin

The 2nd season is the best. I cried at the end AH HOOO HOOO HOOO.

genegr...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2009, 1:47:51 AM3/26/09
On Mar 15, 5:30 pm, DeadRodentTyping
<DeadRodentTyp...@alreadydead.edu> wrote:
> "Kishin" <no...@idonotthinkso.com> wrote innews:VKtul.15147$i9....@bignews7.bellsouth.net:

Nicely put, but I do think that the retarded cop boss Valchek was far
worse and far more corrupt than poor Frank Sobotka. And I do think
that the show set that up nicely. You forget how dedicated this
"asshole" was to his union, despite his thefts....he was fighting for
the re-opening of ports, dredging old through-ways and so forth, and
cared about his people. It was very well illustrated that Frank's
corruption had become almost necessary in order to keep the port
alive.

He paid for his crimes, but not before a brilliant writing team made
him as inexorable a component in the bigger picture as fucking McNulty
or even Carcetti in later seasons.

What surprises me in WIRE criticism is the dearth of McNulty bashing.
And that's a great feather in Dom West's cap....it's impossible not to
love the suicidal bastard, because the performance is so rich, and
(based on Baltimore rumors) personally sourced. But I really counted
on a critical backlash....obviously he's something of a hero to the
show's creators, and especially in the gratuitous and credibility
straining (tho wonderful) final season, where we really see the guy
indulge his ego to the point of true ugliness....yet Simon and co.
justify his every departmental perversion.

Anyway, I think you were being too hard on Frank. I was sad to see him
go.

Lesmond

Mar 26, 2009, 5:44:56 AM3/26/09
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 22:29:21 -0700 (PDT), genegr...@gmail.com wrote:

You're either a very sensitive soul or a big girl's blouse.

--
Only a fool would try to save what the desert chose to leave.

DeadRodentTyping

Mar 26, 2009, 5:06:09 PM3/26/09
genegr...@gmail.com wrote in

> On Mar 15, 5:30 pm, DeadRodentTyping
> <DeadRodentTyp...@alreadydead.edu> wrote:
>> "Kishin" <no...@idonotthinkso.com> wrote

>> innews:VKtul.15147$i9.7393@bigne

The Valchek character, at least, is funny, whereas Frank just seemed
like someone I'd push off a cliff with a bulldozer. I've dealt with my
share of men who overly compensate for their latent homosexuality by
being aggressive pricks, and as far as I'm concerned they can all be
chopped up into catfood. At least they'd do something useful therein.
I think the show demonstrates how we all become corrupted...McNulty is
in his own perverse way noncorrupt...or corruptly corrupt.

So I take it you're *not* dead yet?

--
Bro, she totally eclipsed my heart!