Is Raymond Weil a good watch?

Finite Guy

Nov 24, 2003, 9:02:55 AM11/24/03
Hi All: Just wanted to get oppinions on Raymond Weil Quartz watches.
I'm thinking of getting one for my wife.
Robert

Jack Denver

Nov 24, 2003, 12:20:16 PM11/24/03
This is not a brand that is well respected among watch people. You'll get a
$5 quartz movement in a nice looking case. At least be sure that you get 40%
off list or you'll be overpaying.

Is it a "good" watch - that depends what you mean by "good". Will it keep
excellent time? Sure, until it breaks, the same as any other quartz watch.
Will it last a long time? Maybe, maybe not. Is it worth what they are
charging? No way, IMHO.

"Finite Guy" <finitethee...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Finite Guy

Nov 24, 2003, 4:21:39 PM11/24/03
So in your oppinion Raymond Weir is poor quality? What is a good value
for around $1000.00? Also, when you say it is a $5.00 movement, I
have trouble believing that. What does that mean, I can buy the
movement for $5.00 or is the cost to make the movement?

I don't particularly like Seiko, because generally I dislike Japanese
products for various reasons. For one thing, the Japanese are not fond
of Americans and why should we make them rich?

fg

Jack Denver

Nov 24, 2003, 4:39:16 PM11/24/03
Shocking, isn't it? Here is a page from a watch supply catalog showing a
line of quartz movements commonly found in Swiss quartz watches. These are
retail prices - Weil would pay much less.

http://www.ofrei.com/page753.html

As you can see the prices range from about $8 to $16. If you tell us the
model you are looking at, we could probably tell you exactly which movement
is used. There are other quartz movements that retail for a bit more. Would
it make you feel better if your $1000 quartz watch had a $50 movement
instead of a $5?

Good value in a quartz watch around $1000? There is no such thing. They are
all rip-offs. There is no reason to spend more than a couple of hundred $
unless you are buying precious metals and diamonds.

"Finite Guy" <finiteg...@netscape.net> wrote in message

> So in your oppinion Raymond Weir is poor quality? What is a good value
> for around $1000.00? Also, when you say it is a $5.00 movement, I
> have trouble believing that. What does that mean, I can buy the
> movement for $5.00 or is the cost to make the movement?

snip

Finite Guy

Nov 24, 2003, 4:53:13 PM11/24/03
Sure is. The model I was looking at is 9640 STG 97081; $1650 reatail,
My cost about $1000.

What movement is used?

Jack Denver

Nov 24, 2003, 4:54:24 PM11/24/03
They make both in men's watches. No handwinds . All automatics. Ladies
currently are quartz only.
Here is their website:

http://www.raymondweil.com/masters/RW/default.asp?

<lysa...@uk2.net> wrote in message

> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:20:16 -0500, "Jack Denver"
> <nunu...@netscape.net> wrote:
>
> >This is not a brand that is well respected among watch people. You'll get
> >$5 quartz movement in a nice looking case. At least be sure that you get
40%
> >off list or you'll be overpaying.
>

> Do Raymond Weil only make quartz watches now? I have a Weil that I
> bought in Seattle airport duty free in 1982 and it has a Peseux 7001
> in it.

Jack Denver

Nov 24, 2003, 5:15:56 PM11/24/03
On second glance, I have no source for that info. I'm sure if you email Weil
they would tell you or you could look inside the back. As I said, it hardly
makes a difference - a simple ladies calendar quartz would rarely exceed $50
no matter which one. And don't think you are getting it in diamonds - there
is perhaps $50 worth of diamonds in that watch.

"Finite Guy" <finiteg...@netscape.net> wrote in message

Finite Guy

Nov 24, 2003, 5:34:56 PM11/24/03

It would seem as though there is about a 1000% markup on this stuff?
That's almost criminal.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:29:26 GMT, finiteg...@netscape.net (Finite
Guy) wrote:

>I'm not even sure that this is a calender watch. Is it? It is 14 K
>w/a saphire on the crown and a saphire crystal.
>

>On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:15:56 -0500, "Jack Denver"

Jack Denver

Nov 24, 2003, 5:39:26 PM11/24/03
I doubt it is much of a rarity. BTW, don't bother having the watch cleaned.
Frei will sell you a brand new 7001 for $43.

> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:54:24 -0500, "Jack Denver"
> <nunu...@netscape.net> wrote:
>

> I own something of a rarity then, a hand-wound Raymond Weil with
> 'proper' clockwork in it :-)

Finite Guy

Nov 24, 2003, 5:29:26 PM11/24/03
I'm not even sure that this is a calender watch. Is it? It is 14 K
w/a saphire on the crown and a saphire crystal.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:15:56 -0500, "Jack Denver"

Jack Denver

Nov 24, 2003, 5:45:34 PM11/24/03
That's about right - figure 400% markup on the manufacturer level over
direct materials and labor cost and another doubling at retail. Roughly
speaking. Out of its 400% the manufacturer has to pay advertising, overhead,
executive salaries, etc. so not all of that is profit. There's nothing
criminal except that consumers can be convicted of foolishness for agreeing
to pay those prices.

"Finite Guy" <finiteg...@netscape.net> wrote in message

Thore Karlsen

Nov 24, 2003, 7:51:57 PM11/24/03
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:21:39 GMT, finiteg...@netscape.net (Finite
Guy) wrote:

>So in your oppinion Raymond Weir is poor quality? What is a good value
>for around $1000.00? Also, when you say it is a $5.00 movement, I
>have trouble believing that. What does that mean, I can buy the
>movement for $5.00 or is the cost to make the movement?

A friend of mine had a Raymond Weil, and it looked very cheaply made. I
wouldn't spend much money on it.

>I don't particularly like Seiko, because generally I dislike Japanese
>products for various reasons. For one thing, the Japanese are not fond
>of Americans and why should we make them rich?

Because they make damn good products. Newsflash: Most of the world is
not fond of Americans. Are you going to boycott everyone?

--
Be seeing you.

Finite Guy

Nov 24, 2003, 9:42:18 PM11/24/03
True that most of the world is not fond of us. "We" are not to blame.
At one time Americans made the best watches in the world (right in
Waltham MA). Damn shame that we gave it up.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:51:57 -0600, Thore Karlsen <s...@6581.com>

Finite Guy

Nov 24, 2003, 10:31:16 PM11/24/03
So what about Omega. Are all these watches worthless? Is there any
modern watch that is worth buying other than a Rolex? Or is that over
rated also.
I personally like my 100 year old Waltham Riverside.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:39:26 -0500, "Jack Denver"

Kent Betts

Nov 24, 2003, 10:51:48 PM11/24/03

> So what about Omega. Are all these watches worthless? Is there any
> modern watch that is worth buying other than a Rolex? Or is that over
> rated also.
> I personally like my 100 year old Waltham Riverside.

A hundred years ago the marketing dept did not run the company.

Now the Waltham name is owned by some Swiss outfit who license the name to M Z
Berger on Long Island.

Kent Betts

Nov 24, 2003, 11:13:42 PM11/24/03
"Finite Guy"

>, I can buy the
> movement for $5.00 or is the cost to make the movement?

Either one, really. A $1000 watch with a quartz movement is not going to hold
resale value
or be collectable or anything else. But if the watch is what you like, then it
doesn't matter.
Radio Shack used to sell Realistic brand stereos for $800 bucks out in Podunk,
which was the same price as a Kenwood or Panasonic system.

> . For one thing, the Japanese are not fond
> of Americans and why should we make them rich?

Japanese like Americans ok. They antied up about $20 billion for the first Gulf
war.
On a different topic, around 1980 all the news magazines
were running front page articles about how the Japanese were going to rule the
economic
world. Since then, the have been in a 15 year recession brought about by
excessive
real estate lending. The Japanese are awfully meek these days. I guess the
Chinese
are going to do a number on them next with their $50 DVD players.

lysander

Nov 25, 2003, 8:49:08 AM11/25/03
In article <8tGdnfaR4-U...@comcast.com>, nunu...@netscape.net
says...

> I doubt it is much of a rarity. BTW, don't bother having the watch cleaned.
> Frei will sell you a brand new 7001 for $43.

43 bucks? That's more than I paid for the watch!

Jack Denver

Nov 25, 2003, 2:23:57 PM11/25/03
What can I say - inflation.

"lysander" <lysa...@uk2.net> wrote in message

Antonio Sant

Nov 25, 2003, 3:38:14 PM11/25/03
A bit extreme.

I bougth 3 RW (one a Parsifal automatic).
They are good watch at good price.

It's a minor brand, but the work is good.

Bye bye.

"Jack Denver" <nunu...@netscape.net> ha scritto nel messaggio

Alex W.

Nov 25, 2003, 6:47:39 PM11/25/03

"Jack Denver" <nunu...@netscape.net> wrote in message

> That's about right - figure 400% markup on the
manufacturer level over
> direct materials and labor cost and another doubling at
retail. Roughly
> speaking. Out of its 400% the manufacturer has to pay
advertising, overhead,
> executive salaries, etc. so not all of that is profit.
There's nothing
> criminal except that consumers can be convicted of
foolishness for agreeing
> to pay those prices.

Methinks you misunderstand the nature of the planned
purchase. You hear "wristwatch" and think in terms of
horological value, but this is a question of jewellery for a
lady. That it ticks and tells the time is pretty much
incidental. And it being jewellery, the question of value
for money does not even arise. If it did, women wouldn't
dream of wearing any but the cheapest fashion jewellery.

Alex W.

Nov 25, 2003, 6:51:07 PM11/25/03

"Kent Betts" <kent...@techisp.com> wrote in message

... which is only the continuation of a time-honoured Swiss
tradition of marketing-led sales of cheap watches to
Americans (and the rest of the world). It's quite
fascinating how grubby the history of the Swiss watch
industry gets once you scratch at the glossy image and
sanitised company histories....

Alex W.

Nov 25, 2003, 7:33:38 PM11/25/03

"Eric Dreher" <ericd|@cox.net> wrote in message

> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 02:42:18 GMT, Finite Guy
> <finitethee...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> >True that most of the world is not fond of us. "We" are
not to blame.

> Bingo.
>
> All the "not fond" statement proves is that envy is
universal.

Envy of what?
Your high incomes, for which you have to sweat an average
2,000 hours a year?
Military might which costs you an arm and a leg and makes
you a target for every suicidal nutcase?
The quality and size of your horological industry?

Jack Denver

Nov 25, 2003, 8:47:53 PM11/25/03
No, that's not true. There is lots of jewelry where the market value of the
preciouls metals and stones forms some substantial percentage of the retail
price and form a floor on the resale value of the piece. A jeweler would be
ashamed (or at least, due to market pressures, unable) to mark up a gold
bracelet as much as Rolex does, for example. OTOH, a steel Weil watch with
$50 worth of diamonds doesn't really qualify as jewelry either. Were it not
for the movement, a jeweler couldn't get $100 for a steel bracelet or
anything really since there is no such thing as steel jewelry. But somehow
$5 movement plus $50 of diamonds plus $50 case and bracelet = $1000 watch.
OTOH, overall profits are not as high as they would seem at 1st glance
because in order to maintain that kind of alchemy you have to spend a lot of
money advertising in glossy magazines, newspapers, etc. in order to keep
your name before the public. Every day in the NY Times one of the major type
of advertising, especially on p.2 (the first page with any ads on it) is
watch advertising.

I realize though that buying for women is difficult as most will regard the
amount you spend as an expression of the amount of your love. If you spend
"too little" even on a watch that is just as good, it will be taken
negatively.

"Alex W." <ing...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

John

Nov 25, 2003, 9:47:58 PM11/25/03

All excellent points Jack, I face the same problem and fully understand the
"face" value versus the "expression of love" value, so then I pose it to you
directly, how does one solve the dilemma? What would be considered a good
choice in that snack bracket or perhaps even $US 1500. She likes the look
of the Cartier Tank Francaise, but alas too much up here in Canada, approx
3400 $CAN. I know she once liked the look of the R/W at one point because of
its similar look to the Tank, but although I don't mind shelling out
somewhere in the US 1500 range, I'd like to know I'm also getting good value

possible??? suggestions ????

thanks
John

"Jack Denver" <nunu...@netscape.net> wrote in message

Norman Schwartz

Nov 25, 2003, 10:02:05 PM11/25/03

> "Eric Dreher" <ericd|@cox.net> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 02:42:18 GMT, Finite Guy
> > <finitethee...@verizon.net> wrote:
> >
> > >True that most of the world is not fond of us. "We" are
> not to blame.
> >
> > Bingo.
> >
> > All the "not fond" statement proves is that envy is
> universal.
>
> Envy of what?

Envy of the fact that a person of humble origin can become the most powerful
individual on the planet, whilst poor slobs in the UK still worship a family
of perverts because of the royal origin.

Jack Denver

Nov 26, 2003, 12:09:14 AM11/26/03
I dunno - its all so much a matter of taste.
What about Oris?

Ladies Oris Tonneau Watch
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2673282106&category=31387

or one of these:

http://servellos.com/watches/oris/rect_dd/rectangular_ddl.htm

These go for around $600US discounted (expect 40% off list, sometimes more
from a greymarket dealer e.g. http://www.bernardco.com/oris.html) ..by the
time you pay vat and duty you are around $1k us.

You can pay more if you insist (find a dealer that doesn't discount) , but I
doubt you'll get a better watch - certainly no quartz watch can hold a
candle to the Oris automatics in term of value.

"John" <trapped...@SPAM.com> wrote in message

Norman Schwartz

Nov 26, 2003, 9:59:24 AM11/26/03

> Which person of humble origin are you talking about? The ex-alcoholic
> or the one who got his employees to give him blow jobs at work?

Not this one:
http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/news/people/columns/intelligencer/n_9525/

Norman Schwartz

Nov 26, 2003, 10:01:31 AM11/26/03

"Chris Malcolm" <c...@holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote in message
> Which recent American president was of humble origins?
William Jefferson Clinton, recent enough?

Alex W.

Nov 26, 2003, 12:46:47 PM11/26/03

"Norman Schwartz" <nm...@att.net> wrote in message
.net...

Odd. Whenever I walk past Buckingham Palace, the people
cramming up against the gates are not we Brits but tourists,
and mostly Americans at that....

As for humble backgrounds, Margaret Thatcher was a butcher's
daughter and John Major's father was a trapeze artist in the
circus. Not exactly oil baron ancestry....

When they were Prime Minister, they found it highly
profitable to associate with and listen to the counsel of
the person with the longest track record in government
anywhere in the industrialised world: the Queen.

Kent Betts

Nov 27, 2003, 2:25:34 AM11/27/03

"John"

> somewhere in the US 1500 range, I'd like to know I'm also getting good value
>
> possible??? suggestions ????

A ladies Waltham c. 1910-1930 pendant with mint dial, glass front and glass
back, and 2 oz (heavy) 14 kt chain necklace. With luck you should get out for
about a grand.

Kent Betts

Nov 27, 2003, 2:37:59 AM11/27/03
"Alex W."

> daughter and John Major's father was a trapeze artist in the
> circus. Not exactly oil baron ancestry....

Bush Sr was a traveling salesman for Hughes, selling drill bits. He bought a
few oil leases. His first political job was as Republican Party chairman in
Houston, before running for congress and losing the election. He was never an
oil baron, though he is said to have had a large Rolodex.

Jack Denver

Nov 27, 2003, 8:45:55 AM11/27/03
You forget to add that he was a US Senator's son. Look, the Bushes are of
"old money" background. So was Roosevelt. (So is Howard Dean). Social
register types. I don't hold this against them (or give them credit for it
either). This is not the Soviet Union. You don't get extra points for being
of "proletarian background",nor are you disqualified because you are from an
"aristocratic background". However, the "humble beginnings" message has been
sucessfully mined for votes by candidates from the mid-19th century onward
(Lincoln got a lot of mileage out of his log cabin). But all in all, it has
been more hype than reality. Regardless of how US Presidents start out, by
the time they run they are highly successful men - lawyers, generals,
senators, governors, etc. who have traveled far from their humble
beginnings, if any, and usually the beginnings are less humble than the
candidates portray in their spin. As you have demonstrated, it is easy to be
highly selective in the facts that you disclose or emphasize.

"Kent Betts" <kent...@techisp.com> wrote in message

Alex W.

Nov 27, 2003, 7:46:52 PM11/27/03

> On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:59:24 GMT, "Norman Schwartz"
> A buffoon without any real power now or if he becomes
King. You don't
> think we take these people seriously do you?

The truly sad thing is that he could have been a pretty
decent monarch. He's reasonably bright, knows his stuff,
has ideas and opinions which he shares with a large part of
the public (whatever the press may say, lots of people
actually like old-fashioned housing and watercolour
landscapes). Unfortunately, he has been trained from birth
for a job which he is still waiting to do when the rest of
us are already slowly starting to think of retirement, and a
job at that which is currently performed by his extremely
competent mother.

Appin

Nov 28, 2003, 3:15:51 PM11/28/03
The message <NIUwb.112849$Ec1.4...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>
from "Norman Schwartz" <nm...@att.net> contains these words:

> Envy of the fact that a person of humble origin can become the most powerful
> individual on the planet,

Pay a visit downtown to the spit'n'sawdust post offices and the poor
sitting on the steps and see how it really is in the USA!
And yes, I do know -- I once lived within the city boundaries in Detroit!

> whilst poor slobs in the UK still worship a family
> of perverts because of the royal origin.

Whilst in the US the slobs worship a dynasty of bootleggers by the name
of Kennedy.

Norman Schwartz

Nov 28, 2003, 5:41:18 PM11/28/03

"Appin" <Ap...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message

Norman Schwartz

Nov 28, 2003, 7:46:22 PM11/28/03

"Alex W." <ing...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
And did she have to suck up to the Royal Family, including Prince Tampon as
well as Bill Clinton (meaning the USA)? ;-)

Norman Schwartz

Nov 28, 2003, 7:46:22 PM11/28/03

> The message <NIUwb.112849$Ec1.4...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>
> from "Norman Schwartz" <nm...@att.net> contains these words:
>
> > Envy of the fact that a person of humble origin can become the most
powerful
> > individual on the planet,
>
> Pay a visit downtown to the spit'n'sawdust post offices and the poor
> sitting on the steps and see how it really is in the USA!
> And yes, I do know -- I once lived within the city boundaries in Detroit!

That isn't where the dollars and lives had to come from which saved both
your and the rest of the entire worlds' asses from the Axis Powers.
Lend-Lease moneys didn't derive from those "spit'n'sawdust" places nor the
Royal Family, including Prince Tampon.

> > whilst poor slobs in the UK still worship a family
> > of perverts because of the royal origin.
>
> Whilst in the US the slobs worship a dynasty of bootleggers by the name
> of Kennedy.

Unfortunately the nut (and his accomplices ?) who pulled the trigger in
Dallas didn't worship him.

omniscient idiot

Nov 28, 2003, 10:41:07 PM11/28/03
I wonder what brands of watches all the fabulous (or not so fabulous)
critters mentioned in some of the previous email actually wear, and
how accurate they are. I know little of the official boundaries
amongst bad taste, good humor, and horology - and if politicizing
not-so-political topics is a crime, I have been guilty at times
myself. Still, is it perhaps slightly better to avoid this kind of
thing unless there is an overriding need? oi

Walter Spector

Nov 28, 2003, 11:16:14 PM11/28/03
omniscient idiot wrote:

> I wonder what brands of watches all the fabulous (or not so fabulous)
> critters mentioned in some of the previous email actually wear, and
> how accurate they are....

No idea about Kennedys or Clintons. However a local jeweler told me
that the new "governator" of California wears a Roger Dubois. She had
one of the matching "just like his" in stock too. Only $13k.

Walt
-...-
Walt Spector
(w6ws at earthlink dot net)

Thore Karlsen

Nov 28, 2003, 11:48:28 PM11/28/03
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 04:16:14 GMT, Walter Spector
<w6ws_xt...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>> I wonder what brands of watches all the fabulous (or not so fabulous)
>> critters mentioned in some of the previous email actually wear, and
>> how accurate they are....

>No idea about Kennedys or Clintons. However a local jeweler told me
>that the new "governator" of California wears a Roger Dubois. She had
>one of the matching "just like his" in stock too. Only $13k.

Arnold is known for wearing mostly Audemars Piguet Royal Oaks. They've
made several just for him, like the one in Terminator 3.

--
Be seeing you.

Frank

Nov 29, 2003, 5:28:43 AM11/29/03
finiteg...@netscape.net (Finite Guy) wrote in

> I don't particularly like Seiko, because generally I dislike Japanese
> products for various reasons. For one thing, the Japanese are not fond

> of Americans and why should we make them rich?
>

> fg

Wake up, almost nobody are fond of Americans, but they do make some good
products.

Norman Schwartz

Nov 29, 2003, 10:06:35 AM11/29/03

> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 00:46:22 GMT, "Norman Schwartz" <nm...@att.net>
> wrote:
>

> >"Appin" <Ap...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> The message
<NIUwb.112849$Ec1.4...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>
> >> from "Norman Schwartz" <nm...@att.net> contains these words:

> >powerful
> >>
> >> Pay a visit downtown to the spit'n'sawdust post offices and the poor
> >> sitting on the steps and see how it really is in the USA!
> >> And yes, I do know -- I once lived within the city boundaries in
Detroit!

> >That isn't where the dollars and lives had to come from
>

> No it isn't Norman. The dollars and the lives came from Russia. They
> lost 10 million lives while gasbags like you scratched your crutches
> and whined about immigrants.

http://www.historyguide.org/europe/munich.html

Norman Schwartz

Nov 29, 2003, 3:06:57 PM11/29/03

"Norman Schwartz" <nm...@att.net> wrote in message

Far worse lysander, you turned away immigrants, prevented others from
landing (the sun never sets on the empire you know), scratched your b---s,
didn't even whine, and along with the frogs, was willing to hand the world
over to Adolf until the super-race started to bomb them off. I wonder what
Little Prince Tampon would have had to say if he were alive at the time.

> http://www.historyguide.org/europe/munich.html

omniscient idiot

Nov 29, 2003, 7:08:37 PM11/29/03
With all respect to all involved in this particular debate (as well as
to all the deceased whose deeds have allowed us to live our life in
something faintly resembling peace), I sense that the debate is
getting weird (not to say something other than mature). Some are
bragging about thier ancestors, some defending theirs (or touting
someone else's).
Back when I was in kindergarten (don't worry, at that time, I happened
to live outside the US, outside the UK, outside Russia), some of us
would brag that their daddies were bigger and stronger than the other
kids' daddies. But, well, at least we were "only" little kids back
then ....
oi

Alex W.

Nov 29, 2003, 7:38:51 PM11/29/03

"Norman Schwartz" <nm...@att.net> wrote in message

I know that Bill Clinton isn't exactly reticent and
discriminating when it comes to dalliance with the female
sex, but the image of Maggie and him is just too gross....
:-))

Alex W.

Nov 29, 2003, 7:51:52 PM11/29/03

"Norman Schwartz" <nm...@att.net> wrote in message
.net...

Nobody is innocent. Anybody starts throwing rocks, the
chances are pretty good that they will discover post-haste
that they do live in a glasshouse.

If you accuse us of turning away immigrants, I could point
out the fate of the 1,000 Jewish refugees on board the SS St
Louis which were refused entry into the US and sent straight
back to Europe where most of them died.

As for Lend-Lease, we paid for every grain of wheat, every
drop of oil and every bullet America sent us. It was a
straightforward business deal which took us a while to pay
and it almost bankrupted us, but we did it. OTOH, the
American government never did pay reparations for
dispossessing and expropriating private British property
during the Revolution, as promised in the peace treaty.

As I said -- we all sit in glass houses....

Michael Ker

Nov 29, 2003, 9:43:35 PM11/29/03
I am sure the British would be less keen to turn away immigrants if the
indigenous population of our country had been all but annihilated by our
ancestors.

Michael

in article B%6yb.128673$Ec1.5...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,

Simon Bryquer

Nov 30, 2003, 8:35:59 AM11/30/03
Don't bother. Any civilized energy or response is not worth it in this
case. This person has again and again demonstrated by the contents of his
posts in all manners of things horological and beyond, as you've seen
recently to be a being of sub-Neanderthal sensibility and worldviews. Any
hope that some balance and light might penetrate is way beyond expectations
in a being of self feeding prejudice, ignorance and total lack of self
knowledge. Worse we're dealing with a lost cause here.

SCB

> in article
> B%6yb.128673$Ec1.5...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
> Norman Schwartz at nm...@att.net wrote on 11/29/03 8:06 PM:
>
> >> Far worse lysander, you turned away immigrants, prevented others from
> >> landing (the sun never sets on the empire you know), scratched your
b---s,
> >> didn't even whine, and along with the frogs, was willing to hand the
world
> >> over to Adolf until the super-race started to bomb them off. I wonder
what
> >> Little Prince Tampon would have had to say if he were alive at the
time.

> At least we didn't hang around for 3 years until we saw it was to our
> advanatge to join in.

Brian Talley

Nov 30, 2003, 11:58:33 AM11/30/03
Please take your utterly pointless diatribes to email.
There, you may flame to your hearts' content and the
rest of us won't have to endure it.

Simon Bryquer

Nov 30, 2003, 1:16:56 PM11/30/03
Mr. Talley ---

It's good to know who's who. Thus I take it you endorse the observations
and opinions put forth by Mr. Schwartz and view them as an appropriate
expression of an opinion, in spite of the insulting racial connotation they
contained. And your insight makes you observe mine as diatribe. Perhaps you
should review the entire thread before telling anyone where to take
anything. Why didn't you speak up before in view of all that pointless
diatribe and insults being flung. And if you have read the entire thread I
rest my case and your post speaks for itself..

Simon Bryquer

"Brian Talley" <bta...@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message

Brian Talley

Nov 30, 2003, 9:06:27 PM11/30/03
Read whatever you like into my request that you get back
on topic. I was asking the collective "you" - *all* those
who have engaged in this thread - to please take it
elsewhere.

Do what you will. This is a pointless tiff, however.

Kent Betts

Dec 7, 2003, 3:54:56 AM12/7/03

"Michael Ker" <micha...@which.net> wrote in message

> I am sure the British would be less keen to turn away immigrants if the
> indigenous population of our country had been all but annihilated by our
> ancestors.

An amazing post. I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Kent Betts

Dec 7, 2003, 4:29:46 AM12/7/03

"Simon Bryquer" <sbry...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message

> Mr. Talley ---
>
> It's good to know who's who. Thus I take it you endorse the observations
> and opinions put forth by Mr. Schwartz and view them as an appropriate
> expression of an opinion, in spite of the insulting racial connotation they
> contained.

Heheh...it is such an honor to read a post by someone who is put off by racism.
Perhaps you are the reincarnation of Ghandi or something.

From what I can tell on the BBC, the UK has let in a lot of foreigners and is worse
off for it. The reason the people emmigrate to England is that it is a nation of laws
and has a good economy. What bothers me about letting in a bunch of immigrants is
that they are coming from some country where their cultural practices, fate, and
history have resulted in dictatorships and poverty. And so we are supposed to believe
that importing specimens from this gene pool is supposed to improve the economic and
social circumstances of a nation that has enjoyed democratic customs and advanced
social and educational infrastructure for several centuries? I think not. This is
generally referred to as "diversity", which means basically nothing, as the value of
the immigrant is directly proportional to the degree that they emulate prevailing
moral and social conventions of the community in which they reside.

From here in Texas I can see that in a hundred years the minority of European
descendant will wonder out loud "Why did they let this happen?" There should
obviously be a fence built between the US and Mexico to stop the one or two million
illegal immigrants from entering the country annualy. This would be bad enough, but
it fails to convey the practical effect in it entireity, as it is not unusual to find
23 year old Mexican women with eight children and a round belly. It is simply too
many immigrants. It is amazing to me that the US gov't feels that the risk of
offending the Mexican government makes the fence option unacceptable, while the
tangible burden of illegal immigrants from Mexico on the school and hospitals and the
disregard for legal immigration is many time more offensive. I would tell the
Mexicans "We built a fence because we want you to stay out. If you feel unwanted, it
is because over here, you are unwanted and are most particularly not welcome." And
raymond weill is probably an average watch.

df...@cox.net

Nov 5, 2015, 11:16:32 AM11/5/15
On Monday, November 24, 2003 at 7:02:55 AM UTC-7, Finite Guy wrote:
> Hi All: Just wanted to get oppinions on Raymond Weil Quartz watches.
> I'm thinking of getting one for my wife.
> Robert

had to have 2 batteries replaced. sent back to RW as RW requires. first time battery cost me total $250.00 this time $290.00. I find RW to be very expensive to maintain. both times RW says high consumption. what is high consumption on a watch? is this because my watch runs 24 hours a day 7 days a week all the time?
I will never buy or recommend a RW watch.

Jeff Wisnia

Nov 11, 2015, 5:36:04 PM11/11/15
I'm having difficulty understanding why you couldn't have the battery
replaced at a local shop.

Is there a warranty problem there or is there some special tool needed
to open the case that of your watch that only RW has?

My local jeweler replaces the battery in MY RW wristwatch for $5 in a
couple of minutes.

Or, were you just spoofing us?

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

df...@cox.net

Nov 23, 2015, 9:39:30 AM11/23/15
On Monday, November 24, 2003 at 7:02:55 AM UTC-7, Finite Guy wrote:
> Hi All: Just wanted to get oppinions on Raymond Weil Quartz watches.
> I'm thinking of getting one for my wife.
> Robert

My Raymond Weil watch cost me about $100/year to maintain. needed second battery, sent to Raymond Weil (their requirement) both times cost me almost $300. I will never own another Raymond Weil watch again.

rickman

Nov 23, 2015, 10:51:15 AM11/23/15
How much did the watch cost?

--

Rick

raaj.p...@gmail.com

May 9, 2017, 11:09:57 AM5/9/17
Hi, it's a good watch. Owned one in the past and. Just ordered another today. I also own a few omega and just because RW predominantly do quartz WIS seem to think their above them. Each RW goes through 350 individual checks at their factory. They established themselves in the quartz crisis, this is when brands like longines, omega etc etc were shitting themselves. Good brand with good design. If you like them then don't worry about the price. Go get one. P.s. Nobody ever questions the markup on a rolex or a 30k patek, or do they?

bobmo...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2018, 6:53:59 PM9/20/18
Go to watch ranking and look. It is one of the better entry grade luxury watch.