How to repair watches/clocks

Vincent The Jackal

Jun 30, 2003, 6:55:22 PM6/30/03
Can anyone find me a tutorial online which shows you how to repair
watches/clocks starting at a beginner's level?

Rob Kramer

Jun 29, 2003, 10:41:49 PM6/29/03
Vincent The Jackal wrote:
> Can anyone find me a tutorial online which shows you how to repair
> watches/clocks starting at a beginner's level?

Gave up on building your own already? :)

Try the timezone.com, they have a online beginner's course for watch repair.
No idea if it's any good though..

There's one for clocks somewhere on the web as well, but I can't remember
where it was.

As Scott would say, happy hacking!

Rob

Veet Jaroch

Jul 10, 2003, 11:20:07 PM7/10/03
Visit the American Watchmakers-Clockmakers Institute web site at
www.awi-net.org
I am a watchmaking instructor for last 17 years and I don't believed in
teaching/learning watchmaking or clockmaking by Internet or even by
correspondence course. I think it is too complicated, same as learning to
fly by jet. Would you trust such pilot on your next trip?
Veet

"Vincent The Jackal" <fag...@moultriega.net> wrote in message

Trevor Jones

Jul 11, 2003, 8:33:17 AM7/11/03

Kind of OT but a friend of mine just got hired on to fly 737's. The
first time he will actually get into a real 737 to fly it, will be with
a full load of paying customers in the back. Up till then, it's all
simulators and studying. Pretty standard for the airline industry.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Jeff Schell

Jul 11, 2003, 9:14:17 AM7/11/03
I would love to learn the craft, however htere is only ONE school that
I know of in Canada. It is located in Pointe Claire, Quebec, the
instruction is in french(or very bad english)and costs over $6000.00
if you do not reside in the province ($1200.00 if you do though)

Do you know of any other schools in Canada?

Veet Jaroch

Jul 11, 2003, 2:28:53 PM7/11/03
You should visit www.awi-net.org where you may learn about clock repair
courses.
You also should be ready that you can learn on a corespondent course but
only with real clockmaker help.
Veet

Ian Timshel

Jul 11, 2003, 7:47:49 PM7/11/03
Jeff Schell squeezed out:

==========
Hi there.
There was a good school with a three year course in Toronto at the
George Brown College but I don't know if it is still running. It was
headed by the late Joseph Rugole in the early eighties. Mr. Rugole sat
as a technical director for the AWI and wrote many articles on
hairspring manipulation for their journal.

I tend to think that if you can muster the strength to fight your way
through the British Horological Institutes long distance education, you
would be well on your way to a reputable career.

Cheers! Ian.

John Losch

Jul 11, 2003, 8:05:48 PM7/11/03

"Veet Jaroch" <jaro...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Ø Visit the American Watchmakers-Clockmakers Institute web site at

> www.awi-net.org
> I am a watchmaking instructor for last 17 years and I don't believed in
> teaching/learning watchmaking or clockmaking by Internet or even by
> correspondence course. I think it is too complicated, same as learning to
> fly by jet. Would you trust such pilot on your next trip?
> Veet

7/11/03

To the newsgroup:

I could not agree more with the quote above. With no attempt to divine the
sincerity of the person asking this question, it is one that can have broad
implications. Too often there is a feeling among the public that clock and
watchmaking are simple trades, easily and quickly learned, that the
practitioners make a lot of money with limited preparation, and that
horology is a good retirement trade and income, especially if it will
support a hobby. That is rather insulting to the professionals who have
dedicated a lifetime to training and equipping themselves to deliver high
quality work.

My own training came through a combination of apprenticeships and tutors.
I was fortunate to grow up in the shadows of the Waltham Watch Co., and the
E. Howard Factory. At one point I worked in the latter. I learned from men
who recognized my interest, passed me from one to another for special
instruction, and I reached the point where I could support myself marginally
working in various shops while still in training.

My tuition ranged from free labor, menial jobs within my developing skills,
to scale factory wages, all in return for additional training. In the midst
of all this I went to college, and you can be sure my father paid full
tuition for that part of my education. I did not even consider going into
business until I had experienced ten years in the trade, and then only
because one of my employers told me it was time to do so.

There are easier ways to learn the trade, although they may not provide as
much fun, or as rich a personal experience. Those methods still demand a
large amount of one-on-one instruction, supervised or monitored practice,
and a commitment to learn the trade. I have taught for many years. I spent
a little more than a year as an instructor at the NAWCC School of Horology.
At that time I felt our clock curriculum was more of a "hobby shop" program
than one dedicated to training clockmakers, and I felt I could use my time
more effectively elsewhere.

Through the years I have had only a few really committed students. I think
that is normal for teachers. They are the one who make all the time really
worthwhile, however. My experience is sufficient at this point that I will
make the following recommendations. An extensive and expensive training at
a really qualified school of horology, where the schedule allows sufficient
time for practice and constructive criticism, is the best way to learn clock
and watchmaking. There's no free lunch unless you want to be a hack who
spends a lot of time telling customers that, "Your clock (or watch) is worn
out and beyond repair."

Alternatives to a formal training include allowing enough time between short
instructional experiences for practice, doing the practice, and the
realization it will take a long time before you have any right to take
peoples timepieces on the argument you are qualified to repair them.

AWI has a training and certification program that I believe can be pursued
over a period of time. The British Horological Institute has (or had) one
of the finest correspondence courses I have ever seen. It was slow,
thorough, no-nonsense, and made competent horologists through a mentoring
program involving its graduates. WOOSTEP, the Swiss training program
(taught in English) has made some really outstanding modern watchmakers. It
now has a training school in Lititz, PA, USA. I have heard it is
tuition-free for qualified applicants. There are other programs about which
I know little, but I am sure there are people in this group who can explain
them.

There is a shortage of good clock and watchmakers. We are drowning in
incompetent ones. Someone has to clean up after them. Anyone who wants to
enter the trade, and practice it with self respect, will realize that proper
training is as required here as in any other respectable skill, art, or
profession. Horology is a good trade if you are willing to work hard enough
to be a part of it, and enjoy its rewards. Jcl

Wayne Hilliard

Jul 11, 2003, 8:50:50 PM7/11/03
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 00:05:48 +0000, John Losch wrote:

> "Veet Jaroch" <jaro...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ø Visit the American Watchmakers-Clockmakers Institute web site at

I would like to ask a question following this thread. I also would like to
become certified as a clockmaker. I have spent the last 25 years working
as a tool and die maker have served as an apprentice and also in design
and engineering positions. I want to get involved in clock work because I
would really like to work as a craftsman again. My grandfather was a
clocksmith and a watchsmith. I have always loved clocks and watches.
However unless the Chinese are successful and drive manufacturing out of
the United States and I lose my job and end up on unemployment I don't see
how I can become certified
in the traditional manner. I have a house, wife and two kids. I can't very
well go off and live somewhere take courses then apprentice to someone for
an entry level wage. I was hoping to be able to take the BHI distance
course but don't understand how I would take the tests needed to become
certified. Is there any hope for me??

Thanks

Wayne Hilliard

Airy R Bean

Jul 12, 2003, 3:10:43 AM7/12/03
The problem, though, is that these so-called professionals
are not trained teachers, and may even lack acadaemic qualities.

Grudgingly giving out one snippet of information per week
whilst at the same time using your apprentice as a tea-making
drudge is not the same as giving full-time tuition to someone
who is willing and eager to learn.

If someone approaches matters of clocks and watches eagerly,
is receptive, (the wish to follow a correspondence course would seem
to confirm this), who knows how quickly they might assimilate the
necessary knowledge? (Especially if they have a tutor with a
_POSITIVE_ attitude towards the pupil?)

The willing pupil is not to blame for the "life-time" that previous
professionals underwent.

John Losch <jcl...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

btea...@insky.com

Aug 1, 2003, 2:31:19 AM8/1/03
I can teach you to fly in under 9 months. To work on a clock
will take about 22 years.

Anyone promising a one year school has my doubts (as a
licensed pilot and apprentice clock-maker) but, I do encourage them to
convince me that I can make a house payment, close my 22 year career,
and still atttend the school they commend.

)