Stauer Meisterzeit II

J. B. Wood

Jun 27, 2010, 4:53:59 PM6/27/10
Hello, everyone, and while I've read past posts on the ng regarding
Stauer (a purveyor not a watchmaker) "quality" I'm a little puzzled by
an ad in the May/June AAA World magazine. There's a comment in the ad
by George Thomas, one of the founders of the Towson (MD) Watch Company
(they do high-end watches and use modified Swiss movements like the
Valjoux 7750 for chronographs) that attests to the quality of the
subject timepiece. I assume Mr. Thomas was duly compensated for his
comments. I like the looks of this 27 (working?) jewel watch but where
was its movement manufactured? The ad picture doesn't show the usual
"Swiss" (or Japan for that matter) at the bottom of the dial. Is this
automatic watch a good buy at $95? Thanks for your time and comment
(especially from anyone who owns one of these). Sincerely,
--
John Wood (Code 5520) e-mail: wo...@itd.nrl.navy.mil
Naval Research Laboratory

krishnananda

Jun 27, 2010, 8:07:47 PM6/27/10
In article <i08dp8$iat$1...@ra.nrl.navy.mil>,

"J. B. Wood" <john...@nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> Hello, everyone, and while I've read past posts on the ng regarding
> Stauer (a purveyor not a watchmaker) "quality" I'm a little puzzled by
> an ad in the May/June AAA World magazine. There's a comment in the ad
> by George Thomas, one of the founders of the Towson (MD) Watch Company
> (they do high-end watches and use modified Swiss movements like the
> Valjoux 7750 for chronographs) that attests to the quality of the
> subject timepiece. I assume Mr. Thomas was duly compensated for his
> comments. I like the looks of this 27 (working?) jewel watch but where
> was its movement manufactured? The ad picture doesn't show the usual
> "Swiss" (or Japan for that matter) at the bottom of the dial. Is this
> automatic watch a good buy at $95? Thanks for your time and comment
> (especially from anyone who owns one of these). Sincerely,

No personal knowledge about Stauer, however, the lack of "Swiss" or
"Japan" makes me think it must be Chinese.

For an excellent dissection of Stauer's deceptive advertising,
specifically this ad you saw, check out:

<http://betterretail.wordpress.com/2010/05/10/stauer-meisterzeit-review/>

<http://tinyurl.com/29ovc9l>

dAz

Jun 27, 2010, 8:13:50 PM6/27/10
J. B. Wood wrote:
> Hello, everyone, and while I've read past posts on the ng regarding
> Stauer (a purveyor not a watchmaker) "quality" I'm a little puzzled by
> an ad in the May/June AAA World magazine. There's a comment in the ad
> by George Thomas, one of the founders of the Towson (MD) Watch Company
> (they do high-end watches and use modified Swiss movements like the
> Valjoux 7750 for chronographs) that attests to the quality of the
> subject timepiece. I assume Mr. Thomas was duly compensated for his
> comments. I like the looks of this 27 (working?) jewel watch but where
> was its movement manufactured? The ad picture doesn't show the usual
> "Swiss" (or Japan for that matter) at the bottom of the dial. Is this
> automatic watch a good buy at $95? Thanks for your time and comment
> (especially from anyone who owns one of these). Sincerely,

trade price for an ETA 2824 movement only is about $150, and thanks to
Swatchs policy in supply of movements to others, don't expect to find
one in these, at looking at some of the other models I would say they
use chinese movements, Seagull do make a decent clone of the 2824/36

it annoys me a bit when they spout off in saying this watch is like
$2000 worth but you can have it for $99

or the one you are looking at was $495 down to $99?!, all I can say is
they are not losing money on the sale.

dAz

Jun 27, 2010, 8:28:09 PM6/27/10
krishnananda wrote:

> No personal knowledge about Stauer, however, the lack of "Swiss" or
> "Japan" makes me think it must be Chinese.
>
> For an excellent dissection of Stauer's deceptive advertising,
> specifically this ad you saw, check out:
>
> <http://betterretail.wordpress.com/2010/05/10/stauer-meisterzeit-review/>
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/29ovc9l>

yeaah, that movement in the ad looks much like a Miyota 8215 ;) worth
about $30, but this is probably the chinese version which is half that

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=207931