Harrison Clock Replicas

J. B. Wood

Mar 27, 2002, 7:21:36 AM3/27/02
Hello fellow timekeepers. After viewing a program dealing with clock
making yesterday on the History Channel I was wondering if faithful
replicas of Harrison's H-1, H-2, H-3, or H-4 clocks are available. The
H-1 was shown on the program. Enough to give you a horological orgasm.
Thanks for your comment and time. Sincerely,

John Wood (Code 5551) e-mail: wo...@itd.nrl.navy.mil
Naval Research Laboratory
4555 Overlook Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20375-5337

Richard Lanham

Mar 27, 2002, 9:24:02 AM3/27/02
In article <wood-27030...@jbw-mac.itd.nrl.navy.mil>, J. B. Wood
<wo...@itd.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> Hello fellow timekeepers. After viewing a program dealing with clock
> making yesterday on the History Channel I was wondering if faithful
> replicas of Harrison's H-1, H-2, H-3, or H-4 clocks are available. The
> H-1 was shown on the program. Enough to give you a horological orgasm.
> Thanks for your comment and time. Sincerely,

I saw the same program, it was astonishing.

Check out this site:

http://www.clockmakers.com/html/seaclock.htm

Rick

Nick H-M

Mar 27, 2002, 1:06:35 PM3/27/02

"Richard Lanham" <lanhamc...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Yes - Devon Clocks make beautiful ones - and have other interesting replicas
available as well - for example a Congreve clock. Their web site's well
worth a look

www.devonclocks.com

Nick H-M

Kiwi Geoff

Mar 27, 2002, 6:17:56 PM3/27/02
wo...@itd.nrl.navy.mil (J. B. Wood) wrote in message news:<wood-27030...@jbw-mac.itd.nrl.navy.mil>...

> Hello fellow timekeepers. After viewing a program dealing with clock
> making yesterday on the History Channel I was wondering if faithful
> replicas of Harrison's H-1, H-2, H-3, or H-4 clocks are available. The
> H-1 was shown on the program.

Hello John,

If you have a look at this page:

http://www.bhi.co.uk/hj/August2000.htm

It mentions the following:

"Mervyn and Heather Hobden organised a special exhibition of the work
of John Harrison. Mervyn gave an illustrated lecture, 6. Dun Unwin
showed his H1 and H3 reconstructions, 7, and Malcolm Leach his
extraordinarily well researched reproduction of H2 ,8, which was used
in the Granada video &#8216;Longitude&#8217;"

Another link to an H1 copy:

http://www.timemuseum.com/ttmop/prhtml.htm

A very nice recent (2001) model of the Harrison methods (PDF document):

http://www.awi-net.org/pdf_archive/july20014920012327.pdf

And of course pictures of the "real thing" can be seen at:

http://www.rog.nmm.ac.uk/museum/harrison/index.html

Regards, Kiwi Geoff
http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_36_nz/

mmarq...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2015, 1:52:01 AM6/5/15
Hello,
I've been looking for the H4 replica (if there are any?) and was just wondering, after 13 years since the posts were made, if anyone found replicas of the John Harrison H4 chronometer.

Thanks,
Mario

kevinr...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2016, 5:14:15 PM1/5/16
I believe the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich (London) is selling replica H4s priced at £250 and £400, although I did not see mention of this on their website. (This information as of January 2016.)

dhia...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2016, 7:29:16 PM1/16/16
On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 4:14:15 PM UTC-6, kevinr...@gmail.com wrote:
> I believe the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich (London) is selling replica H4s priced at £250 and £400, although I did not see mention of this on their website. (This information as of January 2016.)

Antique Shops in Ireland and UK ...Why a replica? Get the real McCoy.

lawre...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2016, 7:44:48 PM7/10/16
was at the royal observatory greenwich this past week. while they do sell h4 replicas, they're replicas only of the case. the ministry of defense technically owns the h4 and they lend it to the observatory (on perpetual loan) so they're not allowed to make replicas of the movement. bummer.

peter...@manx.net

Nov 30, 2016, 6:20:38 AM11/30/16
I was very excited when I read the posts about the National Maritime Museum selling replicas of the case of H4. However, I couldn't find anything in their online shop, so I contacted Jonathan Betts, who used to be the Curator of Horology at the Old Royal Observatory. He has done some investigation and the only thing he can find is a commemorative pocket watch that they sell which bears only a passing resemblance to H4. So we are completely baffled as to where this idea has come from that H4 case replicas are available.

Peter Jordan

Isle of Man

goldru...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2018, 7:13:27 PM11/13/18
Hello Peter, I am learning how to engrave on brass and would love to find some close-up photos of the engraving details on the inside back of Harrison's H4 Would you have any leads for me?
Wally

peter...@manx.net

Nov 17, 2018, 3:37:06 AM11/17/18
Hello Wally.

Thanks for your message.

One of the best pictures is on page 132 of Dava Sobel's book 'The Illustrated Longitude.'I'm not sure if it is still in print, but a search on 'ABE Books' or a similar website should find you a copy.

I don't look here very often, so if I can help again email me direct: peter...@manx.net