Hamilton pocket watch/GM Award

Brewing Abroad

Mar 11, 2004, 10:48:02 AM3/11/04
I am loking at a watch on ebay (Item number 2696369810) that is a
Hamilton Masterpiece. I know nothing about watches, what caught my
eye here is that the watch is in it's original box and has the
original manual. I am more interested in it asa piece of Americana,
but I can't find anything about this type of watch on line. I have
read through postings on this group, to no avail. Anyone have
information about this watch?

Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2696369810

Thanks!

Jack Denver

Mar 11, 2004, 3:03:25 PM3/11/04
What would you like to know?

One could literally write volumes about the history of the American watch
industry or even of the Hamilton company, which was one of the best makers.
I suggest a trip to the library to read up on these things. The finest
American pocket watches were called "railroad grade" because they were used
in the operation of the railroads, which needed precise timekeeping to avoid
collisions. These are the watches that collectors are most interested in.

The 892 was not Hamilton's top movement...it was of a good grade but not the
top or railroad grade (which would have had 21 jewels or even more) ...sort
of a Buick and not a Cadillac. They were being produced (or at least
assembled from new old stock movements) as late as the 1970s and being sold
as collectibles in faux antique "railroad" style cases - those watches are
often available in unworn condition because by then people no longer wore
pocket watches as part of their wardrobe. This one looks like it is from the
50s. The watch itself was the classic "I worked for 25 years and all I got
was this lousy watch" type service award which was once common in American
industry. Given the middling grade of the watch, the employee involved was
also of middling or low grade and not a top executive who surely would have
gotten a better watch.

The inscription is interesting but in economic terms it tends to lower the
value of the watch (unless your name is Marion). The watch is probably worth
around $200- $250 at best, perhaps less, on a bad day much less.

"Brewing Abroad" <hoph...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

randee

Mar 11, 2004, 3:14:40 PM3/11/04
The HAmilton Masterpiece was considered their top of the line for
'normal' service; that is not for rail, marine, or air service. This
has not so much to do with timekeeping as it does size, dial style,
method of setting, and other features particular to those services.

--
wf.
Wayne Flowers

WalthamGuy

Mar 11, 2004, 8:16:06 PM3/11/04
On 11 Mar 2004 07:48:02 -0800, hoph...@hotmail.com (Brewing Abroad)
wrote:

I am quite sure about 2 things....1- It's not an "old" watch and by
that I mean made after 1950 and 2- It's a Swiss movement by the looks
of it.

If you want a piece of Americana you can pick up 17 jewel Walthams
and Elgins dating from the 1890 to 1920 range in excellent shape in
the $100 to $200 range on eBay. The Hamiltons of that era cost more
simply because they didn't make as many as Waltham & Elgin so there
are less around.

That's where I would put my money. :-)

The Baron

Mar 11, 2004, 9:18:44 PM3/11/04
I have seen watches from this period and they did not have engine turning,
were Swiss ''parts'', and of course the dying days of the American watch
industry.
The Incabloc cap jewel does 'appear' to make the watch Swiss.

"WalthamGuy" <tic@toc> wrote in message

WalthamGuy

Mar 11, 2004, 9:34:56 PM3/11/04
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 02:18:44 GMT, "The Baron" <theb...@flash.net>
wrote:

>I have seen watches from this period and they did not have engine turning,
>were Swiss ''parts'', and of course the dying days of the American watch
>industry.
>The Incabloc cap jewel does 'appear' to make the watch Swiss.

I've seen a few Swiss movements with turnings....not many granted and
most likely the very early Swiss movements used by the likes of
Waltham, Hamilton, etc.

When I compare the movement to my reference books it's the only one
that says "Swiss Movement".....dead give away. :-))))

Darryl Bryant

Mar 11, 2004, 10:47:07 PM3/11/04
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 02:18:44 +0000, The Baron wrote:

> I have seen watches from this period and they did not have engine turning,
> were Swiss ''parts'', and of course the dying days of the American watch
> industry.
> The Incabloc cap jewel does 'appear' to make the watch Swiss.

I can just see the "UT" inside the sheild under the balance, Unitas 6497?

http://www.timedesign.de/uhrwerke/unitas_6497.html

Jack Denver

Mar 12, 2004, 9:15:01 AM3/12/04
Now that you mention it, that's what it is - you can see '497 there below
the shield.

There is engine turning on the movement - you can see the "Geneva stripes",
the same ones that are on the modern Glycine. However, the work seems rather
perfunctory compared to the elaborate engraving that was once common.

I had forgotten that Hamilton switched to Swiss movements as early as the
50s. Kinda sad really.

In a ways it's good that it's a 6497 - no problem getting parts and this is
an OK movement, although a cheap one (well under $100 undecorated). Of
course it doesn't do much for the value of the watch that the movement is
still in production and that the movement is not a "real" Hamilton.

"Darryl Bryant" <da...@DEADSPAMzip.com.au> wrote in message

Kent Betts

Mar 12, 2004, 2:08:07 PM3/12/04
For whatever the watch lacks in USA provenance, the oversized seconds dial,
tapered gold hands, and the domed crystal and dial earn points for style.

By the 70s, employees were getting gold wrist watches instead of pocket
watches for retirement, and for many companies the watch of choice was still
the Hamilton Masterpiece.

Lloyd

Mar 12, 2004, 8:19:43 PM3/12/04
hoph...@hotmail.com (Brewing Abroad) wrote in message news:<f9211cc1.04031...@posting.google.com>...

Once upon a time Hamilton (then an outstanding US-based company)
produced their 922 model. Some of them are marked MP or called
"the Masterpiece". If my own 922 were marked "MP" it would be worth
$200-$500 more than it is.

However, in later years, when Hamilton became a Swiss company, the
'Masterpiece' label was attached to a much lesser movement. This is
one of those.

I've seen this watch (or one identical) before on eBay. It's not a bad
watch, but don't be silly enough to confuse it with the original.

Lloyd
*****

randee

Mar 14, 2004, 12:29:14 AM3/14/04
I am confused here; altho I did not check the link to see what was
really offered, I can say that a Hamilton Masterpiece is an open face 12
size 23j Model 922. Silver dial, gold hands, gold numbers, and gold or
platinum case. The watch sold for $700 +/- back in the 30's. It was
certainly railroad grade equivalent in many of it features (except for
size and style). I'm not sure what an 892 Grade has to do with it (in
fact I don't even recognize that as a Hamilton grade number)??????

--
wf.
Wayne Flowers

Trevor Jones

Mar 14, 2004, 9:23:39 AM3/14/04
randee wrote:

> I am confused here; altho I did not check the link to see what was
> really offered, I can say that a Hamilton Masterpiece is an open face 12
> size 23j Model 922. Silver dial, gold hands, gold numbers, and gold or
> platinum case. The watch sold for $700 +/- back in the 30's. It was
> certainly railroad grade equivalent in many of it features (except for
> size and style). I'm not sure what an 892 Grade has to do with it (in
> fact I don't even recognize that as a Hamilton grade number)??????
> --
> wf.
> Wayne Flowers
> Randee Greenwald
> ran...@zianet.com

Just another example of a company marketing an inferior product on the
reputation already established. In this case, Hamilton sold a Swiss
movement under the same name as it's earlier product.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Jack Denver

Mar 14, 2004, 6:55:05 PM3/14/04
What Trevor said - you should have clicked thru (and read the rest of this
thread) and it would have been plain to see. This was not a real original
"Masterpiece". The 892 was not a Hamilton made movement at all - this is why
you don't recognize the #. It was a Swiss Unitas 8497 with some Hamilton
stampings on it. This was a late model Hamilton, it looked like from the
'50s though as late as the '70s (just before Swatch bought them) Hamiliton
was "reissuing" reproduction railroad style watches with this movement in
them. Except for the name on the dial, this all has more or less nothing to
do with the noble history of the Lancaster, PA made watches that collectors
think of when they see a "Hamilton pocket watch".

"randee" <ran...@zianet.com> wrote in message

randee

Mar 14, 2004, 9:18:27 PM3/14/04
Yes I eventually did see the rest of the comments - I have been off on
vacation for a couple weeks and was catching up on newsgroups - I read
the groups by order received, not by thread, so it took a bit to catch
all the comments. Hamilton watches from the 'B' models and after hold
no interest for me, so I see why I had no idea what was referenced
here.