The Old Houseworks (and old windows)

Frogleg

Jan 8, 2004, 8:17:10 AM1/8/04
I just Googled on this and found only one reference. My own. I'm
pretty sure I didn't imagine it. It was a PBS Saturday morning show in
the late 70s produced by the Baltimore (I think) station. It
specialized in step-by-step DIY (unlike 'This Old House' which shows
mostly how to hire contractors) projects restoring old houses. I
distinctly remember one half-hour on taking apart sash windows,
re-doing the weights, refurbing, and replacing. There was a 'letters'
segment and I also remember one-word advice to someone who asked what
authentic Colonial lighting was like. "Dim," said the host.

Is this program a figment of my imagination, or does anyone else
remember it?

rb608

Jan 8, 2004, 8:42:30 AM1/8/04

"Frogleg" <fro...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> Is this program a figment of my imagination, or does anyone else
> remember it?

I'm from the Balto area, so I got curious & started Googling on my own. So
far, only one reference to the show, but apparently an indication that it
did exist.
http://www.geocities.com/gwhelton/13-5.html
The link only contains one sentence in the "Kids Baffle" section: "This
clever and entertaining game show was hosted by veteran broadcaster Bob
Callahan, whose resume included "Maryland Weekend" and "Old Houseworks" for
MPT, and "Evening Magazine" for WJZ."

Joe F.

Frogleg

Jan 8, 2004, 4:10:33 PM1/8/04

.
>> Is this program a figment of my imagination, or does anyone else
>> remember it?
>
>I'm from the Balto area, so I got curious & started Googling on my own. So
>far, only one reference to the show, but apparently an indication that it
>did exist.
>http://www.geocities.com/gwhelton/13-5.html

>The link only contains one sentence in the "Kids Baffle" section: "This
>clever and entertaining game show was hosted by veteran broadcaster Bob
>Callahan, whose resume included "Maryland Weekend" and "Old Houseworks" for
>MPT, and "Evening Magazine" for WJZ."

Thanks. At least I'm not crazy, which is a plus. Too bad this didn't
continue. I remember a lot of solid, detailed DIY info, which was
brought to mind by the 'old window' query.

John Leeke

Jan 8, 2004, 9:00:39 PM1/8/04
> specialized in step-by-step DIY

Check my www.HistoricHomeWorks.com for information on the Save Your Wood
Windows report.

John

Gene

Jan 8, 2004, 9:23:03 PM1/8/04
Hello,
If you're crazy for remembering the show, so am I, and my wife too.
We remember the show well, in fact, came across a newsletter from them
just a month or so ago.
PBS show, good stuff, a lot of stuff that was simple and cheap, but
effective.
At the time we had just bought a 100 year old house, so the show
really came in handy,
Best,
Sam

Ev Dugan

Jan 9, 2004, 3:14:15 AM1/9/04
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 21:10:33 GMT, Frogleg <fro...@nowhere.com> wrote:

:)On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:42:30 GMT, "rb608"
:)<fleis...@NOSPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote:
:)
:)>
:)>"Frogleg" <fro...@nowhere.com> wrote
:).
[...]

Not a television program, but several articles concerning reglazing,
reconstruction, and replacement of old sash weights:

http://www.oldhousechronicle.org/common/ohc_index.html

Frogleg

Jan 9, 2004, 3:04:52 PM1/9/04

Ahhh. Yes. 'This Old House'' made me crazy. "All you need is a $75k
house and $300k to pay contractors to renovate it..." 'Houseworks'
showed you exactly how a regular ol' person could do a good job
working on an old-old (or not so old) house. Small projects and the
things to consider. Evidently, there were no books, and it was
probably pre-video days. Treasure those newsletters. :-)

Buck Turgidson

Jan 21, 2004, 8:26:21 AM1/21/04

I definitely remember it here in the DC area. THey used to re-run it
through the late 80's. I haven't seen it in a long time, though. The host
was a bald, older guy, right?

I also miss "The Woodwright's Shop" which I haven't seen around lately.

C G

Jan 21, 2004, 8:50:27 AM1/21/04
Buck Turgidson wrote:
> I also miss "The Woodwright's Shop" which I haven't seen around lately.

Roy's still on. Here's the web site for the show:
http://www.pbs.org/wws/index.html

Click on the TV Schedules link on the top of the page to find your local
PBS station and schedule.

Lisa Callahan

Aug 28, 2016, 6:44:04 PM8/28/16
replying to Buck Turgidson, Lisa Callahan wrote:
My dad, Bob Callahan, was the host of the Old Houseworks. It was produced at
the Maryland Center for Public Broadcasting, now Maryland Public Television.
It was before This Old House and the Maryland Center chose not syndicate.
Could have been a national hit. Wish it happened for my dear late father.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/the-old-houseworks-and-old-windows-499315-.htm

cessna391r

Jan 11, 2022, 4:45:09 PM1/11/22
Yes, I remember that show.. The. host was Bob Callahan..

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/the-old-houseworks-and-old-windows-499315-.htm