The Big List of house maintenance tasks

xym...@suds.com

Oct 12, 2003, 3:54:47 PM10/12/03
This classic post can be found in Google Groups, but it's well worth
reposting.

Newsgroups: misc.consumers.house
From: dav...@ssd.intel.com (David Levine)
Subject: The Big List of regular house maintenance tasks
Sender: use...@SSD.intel.com
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1993 22:12:42 GMT

Back in January, in article <C0CIz...@SSD.intel.com>, I wrote:
> I'd like to assemble a list of all those house-maintenance tasks you
> are supposed to perform at regular intervals (like changing air
> filters, oiling the heater blower motor, cleaning the gutters,
> inspecting the foundation, etc.). This list would include anything you
> are supposed to do once a year or more often. Please MAIL me any
> entries you can think of for such a list; I'll post the resulting
> list. Thanks!

Many, many people replied! (The list of contributors is at the end of
this article.) Here is their distilled and collected wisdom. The
list
of tasks is sorted into the following topics:

YARD/GARDEN
GARAGE
EXTERIOR
WINDOWS
ROOF/ATTIC
FIREPLACE/CHIMNEY
HEATING/COOLING
INTERIOR
PLUMBING
SEPTIC SYSTEM
ELECTRICAL
KITCHEN
BATHROOM
CLOTHES/LAUNDRY
ANIMALS
GENERAL/MISCELLANOUS

In some cases I have folded together several related tasks into a
single task (even so, there are 230 tasks!). In other cases I have
listed a task under more than one topic if it seemed to fit in both.
Where there was dispute over the correct frequency for a task, I
generally picked the shortest frequency (on the assumption that it's
better to perform a task too often than not often enough, and besides
hardly anyone will actually perform all these tasks exactly as
scheduled).

Tasks are sorted by increasing frequency within topics. The frequency
is separated from the task by a single tab, and each entry appears on
one line. The frequency is expressed in the form "n/xx" (where "n" is
the number of times per "xx" to perform the task and "xx" is "da",
"wk", "mo", or "yr" -- for example, "3/yr" for 3 times per year) or
"xx/m" (where "m" is the number of "xx"s between tasks -- for example,
"mo/3" for once every 3 months). In some cases other frequencies may
appear ("a.n." means "as needed", "rain" means "when it rains", and
"once" means once -- probably right after you occupy the house).
Information on when a task should be performed is indicated in
parentheses at the end of the item.

NOTE

I have not checked or verified any of this information for
correctness, reasonableness, or suitability for any particular
task. This information is provided without warranty either
express or implied. Your mileage may vary. Some assembly
needed.

And now, without further ado, The List:

================================= YARD/GARDEN
=================================

a.n. Change oil in tractor
dy/3 Water lawn (summer)
1/wk Mow lawn, trim
1/mo Clean mower
2/yr Fertilize lawn
2/yr Have tractor serviced
2/yr Prune garden (spring and fall)
1/yr Aerate lawns
1/yr Change outdoor lightbulbs
1/yr Check snow removal equipment (fall)
1/yr Check to see if any dead trees or branches need to be removed
1/yr Clean and lubricate lawnmower before storing for winter (fall)
1/yr Clean and rustproof garden tools (fall)
1/yr Cut shrubbery back from air conditioners (spring)
1/yr Drain gasoline from lawnmower and other power tools (fall)
1/yr Drain outside hoses
1/yr Drain water from irrigation pump (fall)
1/yr Have lawnmower tuned (spring)
1/yr Mulch plants that need protection for the winter (fall)
1/yr Prune and fertilize trees and bushes
1/yr Repair and paint trellises
1/yr Take a soil sample and have it analyzed (early spring)
1/yr Take garden hoses, picnic table, etc. in (fall)
1/yr Take garden hoses, picnic table, etc. out (spring)
1/yr Trim back trees and shrubs
1/yr Tune-up mower
1/yr Winterize sprinkler system

==================================== GARAGE
===================================

1/mo Make sure automatic garage doors reverse safely
1/yr Lubricate and adjust garage door, check opener tension *
yr/2 Clean out garage

* One correspondent suggested oiling the garage door "points" (those
points where it's bolted) every other month.

=================================== EXTERIOR
==================================

a.n. Water foundation to keep dirt from pulling away (in dry
climates)
1/yr Check and repair cracks in siding or stucco (use caulk where
possible)
1/yr Check crawlspace for pests, standing water
1/yr Check fences, gates, posts; repair or replace cracked or
broken parts
1/yr Check for rotten wood in the usual places; think about paint
1/yr Check outside water faucets, hoses, sprinklers (spring)
1/yr Check weatherstripping on all exterior doors
1/yr Clean and check culverts and ditches
1/yr Clean and seal wooden decks and steps; inspect for rot and
loose boards
1/yr Close foundation vents (fall)
1/yr Do a visual checkup on roof, siding, and foundation (spring)
1/yr Fill/patch driveway potholes/cracks (spring or summer)
1/yr Inspect mailbox and post
1/yr Inspect overhead wires and relationship to trees
1/yr Inspect paths, terraces, and patios
1/yr Inspect shades and awnings
1/yr Open foundation vents (spring)
1/yr Put up holiday decorations
1/yr Seal sidewalk/driveway (depends on climate)
1/yr Take down holiday decorations
1/yr Work on retaining walls
yr/2 Check foundation for cracks and misc. problems
yr/2 Paint deck
yr/2 Re-stain fence
yr/2 Spray down outside of house and roof
yr/2 Urethane the front door
yr/3 Re-coat driveway (summer)
yr/5 Paint cedar siding

=================================== WINDOWS
===================================

2/yr Clean out drain holes in window frames
2/yr Wash windows, inside and out
1/yr Check caulk and weatherstrip around windows and doors, in and
out (fall)
1/yr Inspect storm windows (fall)
1/yr Take down screens, put up storms, seal leaky windows (fall)
1/yr Clean screens; repair/replace damaged or broken screens
(spring)
1/yr Take down storms, put up screens (spring)
1/yr Check windows for easy operation (spring)
1/yr Replace broken or badly cracked window panes

================================== ROOF/ATTIC
=================================

rain Look for leaks in roof, cellar
2/yr Clean gutters and downspouts, repair leaks (after leaves have
fallen)
2/yr Sweep leaves, etc. off roof
1/yr Check for ice-dam conditions on roof
1/yr Clean attic
1/yr Clean out roof vents
1/yr Do a visual checkup on roof, siding, and foundation (spring)
1/yr Fix loose shingles (late summer)
1/yr Have roof, valleys, and flashings examined
1/yr Inspect attic for water leaks and patch ASAP with Henry's
(fall/winter)
1/yr Inspect attic insulation
1/yr Inspect roof for heat loss (after snow -- look for unusual
melting)
1/yr Inspect slate roof, replace broken tiles
1/yr Inspect the attic for leaks in the roof
1/yr Inspect top of plumbing vent pipes
1/yr Oil attic ventilation fan
yr/2 Spray down outside of house and roof

============================== FIREPLACE/CHIMNEY
==============================

1/yr Inspect and clean (sweep) fireplace, flue, and chimney (fall)
2/yr Scrub fireplace walls, check for creosote, remove ashes, clean
screen
1/yr Check and repoint brick mortar

=============================== HEATING/COOLING
===============================

1/wk Check level of water in steam-heat boiler
1/mo Check water pressure in forced hot-water system (fall, winter)
1/mo Clean humidifier
1/mo Clean or replace furnace filters (fall, winter)
mo/2 Hose off electronic air filter on heat pump
2/yr Drain rust from steam-heat boiler
2/yr Oil fan motor on forced-air furnace
1/yr Bleed air from radiators (fall)
1/yr Brush furnace burners clean
1/yr Clean and lubricate portable fans (spring)
1/yr Clean central AC filter and wash debris from outside condenser
1/yr Drain solar hot water system for the winter (some freeze
otherwise)
1/yr Have furnace cleaned/checked by a professional (fall)
1/yr Inspect fuel storage tanks and lines
1/yr Oil circulator motor in forced hot-water system (fall)
1/yr Oil furnace pump
1/yr Reset programmable thermostats
1/yr Service humidifiers
1/yr Tune up air conditioners (spring)
1/yr Vacuum dust and debris from heat and cold-air-return vents
1/yr Vacuum radiators
yr/2 Full professional inspection of heating/cooling system

=================================== INTERIOR
==================================

once Install smoke alarms and fire extinguishers
1/wk Dust; vacuum carpet; mop floor
1/wk Water plants
1/mo Test smoke detectors
1/mo Check pressure gauge on fire extinguishers
2/yr Change batteries in smoke detectors (when you change the
clocks)
2/yr Hold a fire drill
2/yr Reverse direction of ceiling fans (fall, spring)
2/yr Steam-clean carpet, chairs, couches, Honda
2/yr Vacuum behind and under everything everywhere no matter how
heavy
1/yr Check floors for squeaking, swelling, cracks, and sagging
1/yr Clean Venetian blinds
1/yr Clean and straighten closets and workshops
1/yr Clean and sun rugs
1/yr Clean drapes
1/yr Clean light fixtures
1/yr Clean switch plates
1/yr Inspect and lubricate locks
1/yr Lubricate hinges, check screws on every door from full-size to
cabinet
1/yr Inspect stairs
1/yr Patch torn wallpaper and glue any loose edges
1/yr Polish brass (lamps, door hardware)
1/yr Repair cracked plaster and dented wallboard
1/yr Replace batteries in automatic thermostat
1/yr Steam clean carpets (once a year is probably overkill for most
people)
1/yr Vacuum walls and ceilings (more often if you are so inclined)
1/yr Wash walls, doors, trim, and baseboards
1/yr Wipe out cupboards and closets

=================================== PLUMBING
==================================

1/mo Apply drain cleaner to keep things flowing (or 1/2 gal hot
water per wk)
1/mo Drain about a gallon of water from water heater to remove
sediment **
mo/3 Change water filter (for well water)
1/yr Check water heater for proper temperature
1/yr Clean burner in hot water heater
1/yr Clean out plumbing traps
1/yr Do plumbing repairs
1/yr Have main drain reamed out (if problems with roots)
1/yr Have well water quality checked
1/yr Preemptive roto-rooting of sewer line
1/yr Shut off water to outdoor spigots to avoid frozen water pipes
(fall)
1/yr Turn shutoff valves under sinks/toilets on and off (prevents
sticking)

** This was THE most often mentioned task -- nearly everyone suggested
it, with frequencies ranging from twice a month to once a year.
Once a month was the most commonly suggested frequency.

================================ SEPTIC SYSTEM
================================

1/mo Apply septic system treatment
1/yr Have septic tanks inspected
yr/4-5 Have septic tank pumped

================================== ELECTRICAL
=================================

once Mark circuit breakers or fuses
once Check grounding of electrical outlets
once Install GFI circuits in bathrooms, kitchens, and by washing
machines
1/mo Test GFI outlets
1/yr Switch all circuit breakers off, then on again
1/yr If you have aluminum wiring, tighten all electrical
connections
1/yr Examine all lamps and small appliances for lose parts or worn
cords

=================================== KITCHEN
===================================

once Unplug all appliances not in daily use
4/yr Vacuum under fridge, and between all the coils
2/yr Clean appliance outsides
2/yr Clean disposer splash guard
2/yr Clean inside dishwasher
2/yr Clean inside, under, and back of refrigerator and freezer,
empty ice
2/yr Clean range hood and filters
1/yr Check under sink cabinets for water leaks
1/yr Clean dishwasher sprayer and strainer
1/yr Clean exhaust fans in bathrooms and kitchen
1/yr Clean freezer
1/yr Clean kitchen exhaust fan motor and fan assembly
1/yr Clean out catch basin under refrigerator
1/yr Clean out kitchen sink spray unit
1/yr Clean out pantry to get rid of old foodstuffs
1/yr Do serious cleaning of oven and stove
1/yr Inspect caulk around sink
1/yr Inspect refrigerator and freezer gaskets, replace if needed
1/yr Inspect tile floors and countertops
1/yr Lubricate garbage disposal
1/yr Sharpen all knives

=================================== BATHROOM
==================================

1/wk Clean bathroom
1/yr Check for dryrot or water leaks around bathtub/shower
1/yr Clean exhaust fans in bathrooms and kitchen
1/yr Clean flush-toilet tanks and check for leaks (use food
coloring)
1/yr Clean out shower heads
1/yr Inspect tile floors and countertops
1/yr Inspect caulk around tubs, showers, and sinks

=============================== CLOTHES/LAUNDRY
===============================

1/wk Do laundry
2/yr Clean and apply protectant to shoes, coats, dresses
2/yr Wash pillow covers and mattress pad
1/yr Check dryer door seal for leaks
1/yr Clean dryer innards
1/yr Clean dryer vent pipe and check for leaks
1/yr Clean or replace lint filter in washing machine
1/yr Perform preventive maintenance on washer and dryer
1/yr Wash and defuzz sweaters
yr/5 Replace washer supply hoses, *before* they show signs of
failure

=================================== ANIMALS
===================================

1/da Muck out stalls (you can get away with less, maybe)
1/da Comb long-hair cats
1/wk Comb short-hair cats
2/mo Flea-powder cats (summer -- less in winter)
1/yr Have cow serviced

============================= GENERAL/MISCELLANOUS
============================

once Set up a house file
once Start a home maintenance file (this article will do for a
start)
once Take a child's-eye tour of your home
rain Look for leaks in roof, cellar
1/mo Clean VCR
2/yr Add waterbed conditioner
2/yr Check diamond rings for condition of prongs; clean
2/yr Check for insect presence/damage (carpenter ants, termites,
etc)
2/yr Clean/demagnetize cassette deck heads (in stereo, portable,
and cars)
2/yr Take shower (more often if spouse objects)
1/yr Air out mattresses, pillows, and bedding
1/yr Blow out sprinker system (fall)
1/yr Change batteries and bulbs in small appliances and flashlights
1/yr Check woodburning stove
1/yr Clean vacuum cleaner and replace filter
1/yr Do a masonry patrol, inside and outside
1/yr Find and fix any loose insulation
1/yr Inspect cords, bulbs on holiday decorations
1/yr Inspect power-failure kit (if you don't have one, assemble
one)
1/yr Inspect whole-house fan (spring)
1/yr Retension/rewind all video and audio tapes
1/yr Sharpen tools
1/yr Take a listen-and-look tour of house
1/yr Take unneeded cans of paints and stains to local hazardous
waste site
1/yr Tune piano (more often if you're serious)
1/yr Wash car wool blankets
yr/2 Clean out tool box
yr/2 Drain and refill waterbed

--------------------------------- END OF LIST
---------------------------------

In addition to lists of tasks, I received several recommendations for
other sources:

"There's a 'Season-by-Season Home Maintenance' book (that may
not be the exact title) which you could check a good bookstore
for and scan for ideas."

"There is an excellent book called something like NY Times
Guide
to Home Maintenance. It has sections on each of the seasons
with detailed checklists and explanations."

"I'm waiting to close on a house and the company that I chose
for the inspection provided me with a 2 page list of seasonal
maintenance checks. You may have this company in your area
that may be willing to provide this for less than the cost of
an inspection :) ... [the company is] HouseMaster of America,
call 1800-526-3939 for nearest."

"I picked up this month's issue of 'House Beautiful' and in it
was a short article dealing with owner concerns. At the end
was an address where one can write to receive a seasonal
checklist:

HomeCare Council
Enforcer Products
P.O. Box 609
Emerson, GA 30137"

Thanks to all the people who contributed:

sti...@cs.unca.edu (Sue Stigleman)
mgu...@rustyaxe.prime.com (M. Guyott)
ashc...@infoserv.com (Debbie Ashcraft)
nei...@osf.org (Peter Neilson)
mil...@fever.valhalla (Mikemoe)
god...@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
bai...@butyng.bu.edu (Sherry Bailey)
sjoh...@pcocd2.intel.com (Steve Johnson)
er...@chem.unr.edu (Kent M. Ervin)
wa...@ultra.com (Wayne Hathaway)
dav...@meaddata.com (David James Miller)
KLS...@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (My karma ran over my dogma)
par...@ihlpm.att.com (Robert S Parnass)
s...@lcuxlm.att.com (Steven E Kreutzer)
eid...@unix2.is.tcu.edu (Jon Eidson)
m...@NL.CS.CMU.EDU
d...@hpesdlj.fc.hp.com (Duane Jacobson)
ra...@nrc-iris.nrc.uab.edu
melt...@chipman.crd.ge.com (Kenneth J. Meltsner)
bat...@sequent.com (Jim Battan)
el...@dg-rtp.dg.com (Topher Eliot)
cho...@dakota.Prime.COM (Carol Hokana)
tay...@dg-rtp.dg.com (William Taylor)
d...@hpfcdp.fc.hp.com (David Pinedo)

Special thanks to Sue Stigleman (sti...@cs.unca.edu) for extra
effort above and beyond the call of duty, and to Peter Neilson
(nei...@osf.org) for the format of the entries.

Finally, I'd like to apologize for the time it took to collate and
post
this. Next time I won't start something like this until I'm sure I
have the time and energy to complete it. (Probably a good policy for
anything house-related...)

- David D. Levine, Intel Supercomputer Systems Division ==
dav...@ssd.intel.com
"We don't call them 'dinosaurs' any more. They're 'pre-petroleum
Americans.'"

k conover

Oct 13, 2003, 2:11:13 AM10/13/03
Great list, thanks!
<xym...@suds.com> wrote in message

Homer Simpson

Oct 13, 2003, 9:33:20 PM10/13/03
I got worn out just reading it! That does it. I'm moving into an
apartment. . .
You can add my email address for that contribution. I wanna get on the
email address harvesters' spam lists too!

"k conover" <kirst...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

suzie

Oct 21, 2003, 11:41:16 AM10/21/03
Please help! I have been assigned the task of "winterizing the pipes"
of an empty house which will remain unoccupied all winter. Does this
entail anything more than turning off the water & allowing all the
remaining water to run down the drain? Please help! THANK YOU!

TOM KAN PA

Oct 23, 2003, 1:05:01 PM10/23/03
Blow 'em out with compressed air. But not enough psi to damage anything.

5210...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2013, 9:13:59 AM10/26/13

masumaw...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2018, 1:07:58 PM7/23/18

ta...@theshubhamgroup.com

Dec 26, 2018, 7:43:36 AM12/26/18
Looking for house renovation, construction, collaboration, architecture. So, contact Shape My house

Julia Smith

Aug 19, 2021, 1:48:21 AM8/19/21
Are you looking for construction services in Dehradun? We Bird Infratech Is one of the best construction company in Dehradun. Contact us for all type of construction services.

Construction Services - https://www.birdinfratech.com/

Home Renovation Services - https://www.birdinfratech.com/renovation

Interior Designing Services - https://www.birdinfratech.com/interior-design

Construction Cost - https://www.birdinfratech.com/#calculator

anime memes

Aug 20, 2021, 8:35:31 AM8/20/21
At AllRightReviews, we provide the Latest and Best Internet Marketing Products & Services reviews. We provide different kind of product reviews like health & fitness product reviews, hosting reviews, weight loss product reviews, software reviews, online services reviews, home & garden product reviews, and many more.

https://allrightreviews.com/infatuation-scripts-review/

https://allrightreviews.com/divine-locks-complex-review/

https://allrightreviews.com/videly-review-best-youtube-video-seo-software/

https://allrightreviews.com/furniture-flipping-secrets-reviews/