Re: How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?

Message has been deleted

harry

Dec 23, 2011, 5:46:57 AM12/23/11
On Dec 23, 8:30 am, j...@myplace.com wrote:
> How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?
> Just curious if others are stocking up?
> I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124
> more bulbs.  They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local
> store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month
> ago.

You must be a mad bugger.
When the latest generation CFLs first came out, they were selling them
for $0.15 to promote them. So I bought about twenty.

So I have a stock of latest technology lamps and you are stockpiling
shit?

Wonder when they'll be selling decent LED lamps cheap?

You Yanks are weird.

Nono

Dec 23, 2011, 7:33:54 AM12/23/11

"harry" <harol...@aol.com> wrote in message
No doubt about that. Now, with the DOE ordered not to enforce the bulb
phase-out, there will likely be illegal 100 watt bulbs available on line and
at retailers too.

Tomsic

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 23, 2011, 8:11:04 AM12/23/11
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 02:30:28 -0600, j...@myplace.com wrote:

>How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?
>Just curious if others are stocking up?
>I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124
>more bulbs. They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local
>store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month
>ago.

One pack that has been around for ages. Now that CFL lights have
progressed in quality of light, I see no reason to use the old bulbs.
Nor is the incandescent going away. There will be more efficient bulb
available that have a new design filament. Given the number of bulbs
you have, I'd have to say you may be a little nuts. I doubt I used
224 bulbs in my 66 years of life.

Pete C.

Dec 23, 2011, 8:36:28 AM12/23/11
No stock of incandescents other than a few hanging around in closets or
that were replaced with CFLs. Now that I have found an LED lamp that is
"ready for prime time" (LG 7.5W 40W equiv "A" type), I'm in the process
of converting to LED. I have 8 of the LG LED lamps deployed so far and
all are performing quite well.

Stormin Mormon

Dec 23, 2011, 8:33:23 AM12/23/11
And you expect to get honest answers on a public list?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

<j...@myplace.com> wrote in message

Percival P. Cassidy

Dec 23, 2011, 8:38:41 AM12/23/11
On 12/23/11 03:30 am, j...@myplace.com wrote:
> How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?
> Just curious if others are stocking up?
> I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124
> more bulbs. They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local
> store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month
> ago.

I may have one or two left from a multi-pack.

Perce

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis

Dec 23, 2011, 8:58:45 AM12/23/11

<j...@myplace.com> wrote in message
> How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?
> Just curious if others are stocking up?
> I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124
> more bulbs. They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local
> store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month
> ago.

What's wrong with the equivalent CFL, beside being more reliable/lasting
many times longer, producing much less heat, and being much more energy
efficient?

dpb

Dec 23, 2011, 9:37:24 AM12/23/11
On 12/23/2011 2:30 AM, j...@myplace.com wrote:
> How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?
> Just curious if others are stocking up?
> I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124
> more bulbs. They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local
> store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month
> ago.

Per earlier discussion re: bulbs for outdoor use, I have stockpiled
several dozen; I forget just how many 8-packs I bought for the barn. I
figure by the time they're gone either I will be too, or there will be a
suitable replacement (it's the warmup time that is the primary culprit
as discussed in the thread a month or so ago).

I still like the incandescent better for many purposes in the house as
well despite the better-than-used-to-be color of current CFLs so haven't
switched over entirely. In particular, the house is an early 1900s farm
house w/ period ceiling fixtures that the CFLs simply do not look right
in and aesthetics _are_ important, too.

tra...@optonline.net

Dec 23, 2011, 9:31:24 AM12/23/11
On Dec 23, 8:58 am, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" <greek...@yeahright.com>
wrote:
CFL's are simply not suited to all applications, despite what
you may think, that's what's wrong with them. Some of
the obvious issues and where they don't work:

A - The light is not even close to the same color quality

Areas used for reading or fine work where you need
to focus. Some decorative fixtures that simply don't
look good with a CFL.

B - They take a significant amount of time to warm up
to even a reasonable brightness and it's worse at low
temps.

Light outside the door. Think I want to wait 3 mins to
see who's there in winter? Or my kitchen, where I
want to turn the light on, grab something and leave
in 20 secs. Put in a CFL and then what do you do
to fix that: Leave them on for hours.

C - You can't tell before buying them how long any
particular one takes when turned on to put out a
reasonable amount of light because the skunk manufacturers don't spec
it.

D - In my experience, they don't last very long.

E - They can't be dimmed much, they are not
dimmable along a wide range like regular bulbs.
And the ones that are partially dimmable cost a
lot more. See D above.

CFLs are fine for many general lighting areas,
but that doesn't mean they fit all applications.

badgolferman

Dec 23, 2011, 9:40:41 AM12/23/11
Much more expensive, less light output, very dim if cold (porch lights).

pseudonym

Dec 23, 2011, 9:52:11 AM12/23/11
<j...@myplace.com> wrote:
> How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?
> Just curious if others are stocking up?
> I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124
> more bulbs. They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local
> store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month
> ago.

Zero. Incandescent bulbs are extreme energy hogs. There is absolutely no
good reason to use them.

badgolferman

Dec 23, 2011, 9:55:37 AM12/23/11
j...@myplace.com wrote:

>How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?
>Just curious if others are stocking up?
>I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124
>more bulbs. They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local
>store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month
>ago.

I have several 40 watt bulbs stashed away for the ceiling fans in my
house and the bathroom fixtures that take them. CFLs are ugly and any
fixture that actually exposes the bulb to view gets incandescents.

Robert Neville

Dec 23, 2011, 10:07:58 AM12/23/11
Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:

> Now that CFL lights have
>progressed in quality of light, I see no reason to use the old bulbs.

The price is coming down as well. I have about a dozen PAR30s in my kitchen.
When I first did them with CFLs, they cost about $6/ea. I bought a replacement
the other day - it was about $1.25/ea in a pack of 4. Not much more than what an
incandescent used to cost.

Hopefully the reliability is a little better. The first gens did not get the
10,000 hour lifetimes promised. Color temps are better now - used to be hard to
find 2700' CFLs. Now they are all over. LEDs aren't available that warm and are
far more expensive.

Steve Barker

Dec 23, 2011, 12:34:16 PM12/23/11
i just bought another 48 one-hundred watt real bulbs. $1.58 for FOUR
(4). Seems to me that's about a THIRD of your "not much more".... I'll
keep using the real ones. No government control for me, thank you.

--
Steve Barker

Bernt Berger

Dec 23, 2011, 10:48:58 AM12/23/11
On 12/23/2011 12:34 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

> i just bought another 48 one-hundred watt real bulbs. $1.58 for FOUR
> (4). Seems to me that's about a THIRD of your "not much more".... I'll
> keep using the real ones. No government control for me, thank you.

You need to consider the total cost of incandescent.

The typical 100 watt incandescent has a 1000 hour life span.

At 10 cents per kilowatt hour, an incandescent bulb consumes $10 of
electricity during its lifetime.

Are the incandescent bulbs still cheaper?

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 23, 2011, 10:53:52 AM12/23/11
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 06:31:24 -0800 (PST), "tra...@optonline.net"
<tra...@optonline.net> wrote:

>CFL's are simply not suited to all applications, despite what
>you may think, that's what's wrong with them.

And that is one reason incandescent will never be eliminated, nor is
anyone trying.

Some of
>the obvious issues and where they don't work:
>
>A - The light is not even close to the same color quality
>
>Areas used for reading or fine work where you need
>to focus. Some decorative fixtures that simply don't
>look good with a CFL.

Some CFLs are actually better. Yes, I hated those green things of the
early days and refused to use them, however, the new ones are quite
nice in our regular lamps in the house.

>B - They take a significant amount of time to warm up
>to even a reasonable brightness and it's worse at low
>temps.
>
>Light outside the door. Think I want to wait 3 mins to
>see who's there in winter? Or my kitchen, where I
>want to turn the light on, grab something and leave
>in 20 secs. Put in a CFL and then what do you do
>to fix that: Leave them on for hours.

Outside the door it takes a few seconds, but again, the new ones are
plenty bright when first turned on.

As for the kitchen, they are plenty bright enough to "grab something"
and leave in 20 seconds. Be realistic, a 7 watt bulb would do for
most things like that. If you are going to eat a meal or cook dinner,
they are warmed up in 20 seconds or so and you will never lack for
light.

>C - You can't tell before buying them how long any
>particular one takes when turned on to put out a
>reasonable amount of light because the skunk manufacturers don't spec
>it.

Reliable brands have been pretty good.

>D - In my experience, they don't last very long.

I put them in place at work where we have night lights. We went from
changing bulbs every few months to changing CFLs every few years.
These are also in cold and damp locations too. Saves us a lot of time
and money and aggravation from having lights burn out. PITA to drag a
big ladder into stairwells.

>E - They can't be dimmed much, they are not
>dimmable along a wide range like regular bulbs.
>And the ones that are partially dimmable cost a
>lot more. See D above.

If I have a dimmable situation I'm still using the old bulbs. It has
not been an issue, nor is anyone trying to take my decorative bulbs
away.

>CFLs are fine for many general lighting areas,
>but that doesn't mean they fit all applications.

I don't think anyone is. Nor do I think anyone ever will. You have
your mind made up based on what the old bulbs were like. At some
point if you (and the many others like you) open your minds a bit
you'll find technology has improved and you can save a few bucks on
electricity.

Pavel314

Dec 23, 2011, 10:55:01 AM12/23/11
I bought a case of 100 this summer; they'll probably last for my lifetime. When you buy bulk, it's much cheaper, so I'm planning to buy a case of 40's and a case of 60's as well.

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 23, 2011, 10:55:57 AM12/23/11
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 14:55:37 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
<REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>j...@myplace.com wrote:

>I have several 40 watt bulbs stashed away for the ceiling fans in my
>house and the bathroom fixtures that take them. CFLs are ugly and any
>fixture that actually exposes the bulb to view gets incandescents.

No reason to stockpile the 40's. They will remain in production and
newer ones will be more efficient.

Steve Barker

Dec 23, 2011, 12:59:28 PM12/23/11
cost is not the issue to me. I just don't like the color or the
inoperativeness at cold temps. And I don't believe a bulb only last
1000 hours and i haven't seen a cfl last longer yet.

Bernt Berger

Dec 23, 2011, 11:02:57 AM12/23/11
CFLs and LEDs are actually cheaper when you consider operating cost

> less light output,

Per watt, CFLs output over 4 times the light of incandescent

> very dim if cold (porch lights).

For a porch light in a cold environment use halogen.

Han

Dec 23, 2011, 11:29:50 AM12/23/11
"Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net> wrote in news:4ef483f0$0$16571$a8266bb1
@newsreader.readnews.com:

<snip>
> No stock of incandescents other than a few hanging around in closets or
> that were replaced with CFLs. Now that I have found an LED lamp that is
> "ready for prime time" (LG 7.5W 40W equiv "A" type), I'm in the process
> of converting to LED. I have 8 of the LG LED lamps deployed so far and
> all are performing quite well.

Where did you buy them?

--
Best regards
Han

Han

Dec 23, 2011, 11:32:50 AM12/23/11
Bernt Berger <bernt....@C0MCAST.C0M> wrote in
Math is difficult, but I'll respect the view of people who have trouble
with the initial outlay for LEDs. That is still much too high, although
I like the 3 "bulb" 3 Watt total undercabinet fixture I bought - too much
money, but no heat whatsoever and nice light on my countertop.

EXT

Dec 23, 2011, 11:25:51 AM12/23/11
If you need any more 100w bulbs, take a trip to Ontario, Canada. The
authorities have postponed the phase out for 2 more years. They were
scheduled to be banned on January 1, 2012, now it is January 1, 2014. I see
plenty on the shelves of the big box stores.

Dan Espen

Dec 23, 2011, 11:43:29 AM12/23/11
Stock up on incandescents? Sorry, no thanks.

I have a driveway lamp that takes 3 of the narrow base bulbs.
When I used incandescent bulbs I'd have to replace bulbs every
few months. If I didn't pay attention, I'd find all 3 burnt out.
This happened many times.

Then I saw narrow base CFLs with a frosted flame shaped bulb covering
whatever is inside. Not only do they come on instantly regardless
of the cold but I'm still using the same 3 bulbs years later.

If anything, they are brighter than the bulbs they replaced.

So, all the arguments about bulb appearance and not working with
some lamp shades are fallacious. It's easy to find CFLs with an outer
bulb.

All my CFLs come on almost instantly, just like any other florescent.

In my kitchen we have ceiling spotlights on a dimmer.
There I'm still using incandescents. Going to have to wait for LEDs
for the kitchen.

--
Dan Espen

tra...@optonline.net

Dec 23, 2011, 11:47:24 AM12/23/11
On Dec 23, 10:53 am, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 06:31:24 -0800 (PST), "trad...@optonline.net"
The post I replied to, the poster asked:

" What's wrong with the equivalent CFL, beside being more reliable/
lasting many times longer, producing much less heat, and being much
more energy efficient? "

Which besides being a question, implies that there
isn't anything wrong with them. For many applications
there is a lot wrong with them.

You have
> your mind made up based on what the old bulbs were like.  At some
> point if you (and the many others like you) open your minds a bit
> you'll find technology has improved and you can save a few bucks on
> electricity.

I have my mind made up based on continued experiences.
I use them where appropriate, but in my experience they
aren't the wonder devices they are made out to be. I've
had some that have lasted a reasonable time. And I've
had others that failed in a year or two. One that failed
recently is in my garage and I know for a fact that the
lights are on in there a negligible amount of time. If
they lasted anywhere near the claimed hours they would
be there for 20 years. And I'm not going to use them
where the listed disadvantages are significant issues.
And even on recent bulbs, there are plenty of surprises,
like ones that produce an annoying hum. Saving a
few bucks isn't that important to me if I wind up with
a bulb that buzzes.

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 23, 2011, 11:56:29 AM12/23/11
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 10:48:58 -0500, Bernt Berger
<bernt....@C0MCAST.C0M> wrote:

>The typical 100 watt incandescent has a 1000 hour life span.
>
>At 10 cents per kilowatt hour, an incandescent bulb consumes $10 of
>electricity during its lifetime.
>
>Are the incandescent bulbs still cheaper?

Here in CT, that would be $18.

Robert Neville

Dec 23, 2011, 12:06:08 PM12/23/11
Steve Barker <ichase...@notgmail.com> wrote:

>i just bought another 48 one-hundred watt real bulbs. $1.58 for FOUR
>(4). Seems to me that's about a THIRD of your "not much more

PAR30s (reflectorized spots for down lights) have always been more expensive
than Type A lamps. Incandescent PAR30s were always over a buck, so $1.25 for a
CFL isn't a bad deal when you consider operating costs.

I have a dozen in my kitchen. The old PAR30s used 65w each, or just under
1kw/hr. Kitchen lights are on about 2 hours a day and we pay .15 kwhr, so about
.30/day or just over $100/year.

The CFL PAR30s use 15 watts each or about $25/year for the same amount of use,
so I save $75 a year in operating costs. That's each and every year going
forward.

I don't particularly agree with making CFLs a government mandate, much as I
think Energy Star ratings on plumbing fixtures are a roal pain in the arse -
faucets and showerheads were qualified at 2.5 gpm, now they are 1.75 gpm. And
it's not a voluntary standard when states mandate Energy Star compliance in
their codes.

The whole idea behind CFLs was that 90% of what they produce is heat and that
was bad for everyone. The problem is that for big chunks of the country that
heat is "wasted" for a very small portion of the time. The rest of the time it
just shifts the heating to another source. Around here propane and electricity
run neck and neck for cost per BTU, so the fact that we run our propane heaters
a little longer isn't saving anything.

Han

Dec 23, 2011, 12:16:51 PM12/23/11
Steve Barker <ichase...@notgmail.com> wrote in

> cost is not the issue to me.

Fine by me. The current CFLs in our home I have no issue with.

> I just don't like the color or the inoperativeness at cold temps.

Color isn't a real issue anymore, nor slow "igniting" - most are fast
enough, and the few here that are still slow, it takes no more than a
second before even the old ones start, and just a minute to get to full
strength. Most newer CFLs don't have the delay anymore

> And I don't believe a bulb only last 1000 hours and i haven't seen a cfl
> last longer yet.

Well, I have seen the difference in lifespan, and certainly the difference
in my electric bill. And we pay here 18 c/kwh, so it adds up.

Frank

Dec 23, 2011, 12:19:07 PM12/23/11
On Dec 23, 5:46 am, harry <haroldhr...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Dec 23, 8:30 am, j...@myplace.com wrote:
>
> > How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?
> > Just curious if others are stocking up?
> > I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124
> > more bulbs.  They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local
> > store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month
> > ago.
>
> You must be a mad bugger.
> When the latest generation CFLs first came out, they were selling them
> for $0.15 to promote them.  So I bought about twenty.
>
> So I have a stock of latest technology lamps and you are stockpiling
> shit?
>
> Wonder when they'll be selling decent LED lamps cheap?
>
> You Yanks are weird.

You may have bought the shit. Lot of recent CFL's I've bought are
little hummers.
OK if other sounds around but can be annoying in quiet room.

JimT

Dec 23, 2011, 1:10:23 PM12/23/11
On 12/23/2011 2:30 AM, j...@myplace.com wrote:
> How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?
> Just curious if others are stocking up?
> I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124
> more bulbs. They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local
> store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month
> ago.

I may have some that I replaced with more efficient lights. Come by and
I'll give them to you.

Pete C.

Dec 23, 2011, 1:28:58 PM12/23/11
COSTCO, $18 for a 2pk. 3yr warranty, 20yr predicted life (both
~30,000hrs), made in Korea by LG, UL listed, 81 CRI and good even light
distribution.

Pete C.

Dec 23, 2011, 1:30:11 PM12/23/11
The LG LED lamps I'm now using are 2,700 color temp and $9 ea.

Pete C.

Dec 23, 2011, 1:32:24 PM12/23/11
That is when CL&P is actually supplying electrons to more than 10% of
the state...

Pete C.

Dec 23, 2011, 1:36:50 PM12/23/11

dpb wrote:

> I still like the incandescent better for many purposes in the house as
> well despite the better-than-used-to-be color of current CFLs so haven't
> switched over entirely. In particular, the house is an early 1900s farm
> house w/ period ceiling fixtures that the CFLs simply do not look right
> in and aesthetics _are_ important, too.
>
> --

Take a look at the LG "A" type 7.5W LED lamps, from the end view they
look very much like an incandescent and the light distribution is very
good. Roughly $9ea (COSTCO 2pk $17.98) 2,700 color temp and 81 CRI, with
a 30,000hr service life and 3yr warranty. I have 8 deployed so far and
will be getting more.

Tony Miklos

Dec 23, 2011, 2:06:35 PM12/23/11
On 12/23/2011 3:30 AM, j...@myplace.com wrote:
> How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?
> Just curious if others are stocking up?
> I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124
> more bulbs. They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local
> store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month
> ago.

Not a single one. You must be pretty young if you plan on needing that
many 100 watt bulbs in your lifetime, or just plain paranoid. Then
there is also the black market sales, which so many people stocked up on
them that you probably won't be able to give them away in a few years.

dpb

Dec 23, 2011, 2:37:15 PM12/23/11
On 12/23/2011 12:36 PM, Pete C. wrote:

> Take a look at the LG "A" type 7.5W LED lamps, from the end view they
> look very much like an incandescent and the light distribution is very
> good. Roughly $9ea (COSTCO 2pk $17.98) 2,700 color temp and 81 CRI, with
> a 30,000hr service life and 3yr warranty. I have 8 deployed so far and
> will be getting more.

I've never seen an LG-branded lamp in town. There are no COSTCO or
their ilk within 200 miles...

I don't recall what the couple of LEDs I did see were on a shelf; they
were more like the $18/ea though it seems and I have a hard time
thinking a light bulb should cost a twenty... :)

We're giving out Niagara-branded CFLs from the co-op to convert folks as
we can; they're not too bad for most applications but still look kinda'
funky in old fixtures; new and old just don't mix well.

They're better in cold-start than the old ones but still take quite a
time to reach brightness in really cold weather. It was 3F this AM; the
one in the car garage was just bright enough could tell it was trying
when I went out early when flipped it on.

There's nothing wrong w/ adding a little heat in the barn on cold
mornings or late nights, either, as far as I'm concerned... :) Doesn't
help much overall, but can be noticed in a closed area after a little
while if the wind isn't too bad.

Pete C.

Dec 23, 2011, 2:49:38 PM12/23/11
This is the lamp:
http://www.lg.com/us/led-lighting/led-bulbs/LG-bulb-LB08D827L0A.E50JWU0.jsp

You would think it wouldn't work well in something like a table lamp
with an upward facing socket, but it actually works just fine in one
that has the typical tapered shade. Enough light gets reflected down
that you don't really see a difference vs. an incandescent.

Han

Dec 23, 2011, 2:52:48 PM12/23/11
"Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net> wrote in

> Han wrote:
>>
>> "Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net> wrote in
>> news:4ef483f0$0$16571$a8266bb1 @newsreader.readnews.com:
>>
>> <snip>
>> > No stock of incandescents other than a few hanging around in
>> > closets or that were replaced with CFLs. Now that I have found an
>> > LED lamp that is "ready for prime time" (LG 7.5W 40W equiv "A"
>> > type), I'm in the process of converting to LED. I have 8 of the LG
>> > LED lamps deployed so far and all are performing quite well.
>>
>> Where did you buy them?

> COSTCO, $18 for a 2pk. 3yr warranty, 20yr predicted life (both
> ~30,000hrs), made in Korea by LG, UL listed, 81 CRI and good even
> light distribution.

Too bad, can't find them on line. Where are you located?

JimT

Dec 23, 2011, 2:59:00 PM12/23/11
Mfg of bulbs must be in heaven right now.

P.T. Barnum was right.

Han

Dec 23, 2011, 3:03:47 PM12/23/11
"Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net> wrote in
I had found them like that, but even Amazon only sells them for $33 per
2-pack. That is at least 3x too much for now.

Pete C.

Dec 23, 2011, 3:14:13 PM12/23/11

Han wrote:

> "Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net> wrote in
>

> > Han wrote:
> >>
> >> "Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net> wrote in
> >> news:4ef483f0$0$16571$a8266bb1 @newsreader.readnews.com:
> >>
> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> Where did you buy them?
>

> > COSTCO, $18 for a 2pk. 3yr warranty, 20yr predicted life (both
> > ~30,000hrs), made in Korea by LG, UL listed, 81 CRI and good even
> > light distribution.
>
> Too bad, can't find them on line. Where are you located?

Yes, I can't find them on the COSTCO site either. I got them at a Dallas
COSTCO (east Plano). The Costco item number is 593259 so you could call
and check.

Pete C.

Dec 23, 2011, 3:16:07 PM12/23/11
$17.98 for the 2pk at COSTCO.

Robert Neville

Dec 23, 2011, 4:14:17 PM12/23/11
"Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net> wrote:

>The LG LED lamps I'm now using are 2,700 color temp and $9 ea.

I just saw that - will have to pick up a set next trip to Costco.

Han

Dec 23, 2011, 5:08:21 PM12/23/11
"Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net> wrote in

thanks!

<snip>

Pete C.

Dec 23, 2011, 5:11:42 PM12/23/11
I think you'll like them, they are the first I've tried that I consider
ready for prime time.

Frank Foder

Dec 23, 2011, 6:39:23 PM12/23/11
On Dec 23, 2:30 am, j...@myplace.com wrote:
> How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?
> Just curious if others are stocking up?

During the winter, I really like those 100W incandescents. I can put
my hands over them and get my fingers all toasty. In fact, if I paint
them black, they work especially well. Thank goodness for these high
efficiency heaters that conveniently screw right into an Edison
socket. The fact that some light comes out of them, in addition to a
whole lot of heat, doesn't bother me too much. Those CFLs just don't
do the job. Need to get some of those Amish woodworkers to make some
nice housings for a slew of those wonderful 100W bulbs. Why, they
could cut my heating bill in half!

How dare the government tell me how I have to heat my house! I've got
to stock up on these lovely items before they get banned.

Al Goar

Dec 23, 2011, 7:06:08 PM12/23/11
I tossed out about two dozen incandescents since they are no longer
worth using.

jack

Dec 23, 2011, 7:44:21 PM12/23/11
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 15:39:23 -0800 (PST), Frank Foder
<foder...@gmail.com> wrote:

>socket. The fact that some light comes out of them, in addition to a
>whole lot of heat, doesn't bother me too much. Those CFLs just don't
>do the job. Need to get some of those Amish woodworkers to make some
>nice housings for a slew of those wonderful 100W bulbs. Why, they
>could cut my heating bill in half!

Maybe you should get one of them amazing super high efficiency
infrared quartz EdenPUKE Gen4 heaters? They have EdenBLOW Direct Air
technology.

I think they're engineered and designed in the USA by Chinese Amish
people.

They must be good cuz both Bob Villa and Richard Korn swear by them.

HeyBub

Dec 23, 2011, 8:49:01 PM12/23/11
j...@myplace.com wrote:
> How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?
> Just curious if others are stocking up?
> I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124
> more bulbs. They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local
> store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month
> ago.

Because you never know what the future might bring.

I'm not too keen on light bulbs, but I do have close to 50,000 rounds of
ammunition stored up.

Han

Dec 23, 2011, 9:10:40 PM12/23/11
jack <ja...@comcast.not> wrote in news:a57af7h8tdfpk16rr31lgk3v7lc9q9c6bc@
4ax.com:

> infrared quartz EdenPUKE Gen4 heaters

100V, 12.5A. What's the formula again? Ah, Volt times amp. Must be 115,
12 Amp, so 1380 Watt. Say it is on 16 hours/day minimum. That means
16*1380/1000=22kWh which at 18 cents/kWh is $4/day. Not bad. How much
room does that heat? Oh, 1000 sq feet. Hope that is true. Oh, the unot
costs ~$355 ...

jack

Dec 23, 2011, 9:43:05 PM12/23/11
On 24 Dec 2011 02:10:40 GMT, Han <nob...@nospam.not> wrote:

>jack <ja...@comcast.not> wrote in news:a57af7h8tdfpk16rr31lgk3v7lc9q9c6bc@
>4ax.com:
>
>> infrared quartz EdenPUKE Gen4 heaters
>
>100V, 12.5A. What's the formula again? Ah, Volt times amp. Must be 115,
>12 Amp, so 1380 Watt. Say it is on 16 hours/day minimum. That means
>16*1380/1000=22kWh which at 18 cents/kWh is $4/day. Not bad. How much
>room does that heat? Oh, 1000 sq feet. Hope that is true. Oh, the unot
>costs ~$355 ...

Only $355?
Not too bad for a fancy lightbulb in a box.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Dec 23, 2011, 11:37:12 PM12/23/11
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 02:30:28 -0600, j...@myplace.com wrote:

>How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?
>Just curious if others are stocking up?
>I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124
>more bulbs. They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local
>store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month
>ago.

Getting rid of all my CFLs and large incandescents and replacing with
LEDs.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Dec 23, 2011, 11:40:21 PM12/23/11
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 08:58:45 -0500, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis"
<gree...@yeahright.com> wrote:

><j...@myplace.com> wrote in message
>> How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?
>> Just curious if others are stocking up?
>> I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124
>> more bulbs. They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local
>> store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month
>> ago.
>>

>What's wrong with the equivalent CFL, beside being more reliable/lasting
>many times longer, producing much less heat, and being much more energy
>efficient?
And being slow to start.

LEDs are more expensive than current CFLs, but less expensive now than
the first CFLs I bought (which were pure CRAP) - and so far are
working well.

Frank Foder

Dec 24, 2011, 1:05:35 AM12/24/11
On Dec 23, 8:10 pm, Han <nob...@nospam.not> wrote:
> jack <j...@comcast.not> wrote in news:a57af7h8tdfpk16rr31lgk3v7lc9q9c6bc@
> 4ax.com:
>
> > infrared quartz EdenPUKE Gen4  heaters
>
> 100V, 12.5A.  What's the formula again?  Ah, Volt times amp.  Must be 115,
> 12 Amp, so 1380 Watt.  Say it is on 16 hours/day minimum.  That means
> 16*1380/1000=22kWh which at 18 cents/kWh is $4/day.  Not bad.  How much
> room does that heat?  Oh, 1000 sq feet.  Hope that is true.  Oh, the unot
> costs ~$355 ...
>
> -

Yep, but that's what an incandescent is. It's a heater that puts out
some light. But you get toasty fingers for $0.30 per day!
Of course, you put fourteen of those light bulbs in an EdenPure
chassis, and you got yourself a system that even Bob Vila would admire.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 24, 2011, 7:54:41 AM12/24/11
On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 01:14:30 -0600, j...@myplace.com wrote:

>If they really want to save electricity, why dont the govt. make these
>commercial businesses shut off all the wasted electricity they use to
>illuminate state capitol buildings, county buildings, useless
>billboards, and these damn car dealers who burn up 50KW per hour
>lighting up their car lot all night long....
>
>And here is a real clincher. Everytime I drive past my local electric
>company office at night, there is a light in nearly every window in
>the building, around 30 pole lights on in the parking lot, a lighted
>sign, using about three 1000W halogens, and a dozen or more lights on
>the exterior of the building. And guess what..... There is not even
>one car in their parking lot.

Anyone that has ever look out the window of an airplane landing at
night sees the same thing all around. The amount of wasted electric is
incredible. Shopping centers, factories, thousands of closed stores
with signs are lit up the same as if there were throngs of people.

Timers and motion sensors could save us a ton of emissions.

Pete C.

Dec 24, 2011, 9:31:42 AM12/24/11
It would also eliminate a lot of nighttime light pollution which would
be a very good thing.

tra...@optonline.net

Dec 24, 2011, 9:39:03 AM12/24/11
On Dec 24, 1:56 am, j...@myplace.com wrote:
LEDs are too expensive but I hope they work better in the
> cold.

LEDs can be cost justified now IF you believe the
package claims of how long they will last. But
given the experience with what is claimed for
CFL's and what I've actually experienced, I'm
skeptical. I would think the long life of LEDs is
based on the underlying technology of LEDs
which is well understood. But, when you put
them in a cheaply made in China light bulb that is
subject to all kinds of potential environments,
then what? At $25 a pop, I'm not about to
find out either.

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Dec 24, 2011, 10:16:31 AM12/24/11
How are timers going to cut down on crime (or liability, for that matter)?
Most lamps used for parking lots don't take well to the cycling that motion
sensors imply. There are things that can be done to lower usage, like hats to
reflect light downward instead of into space, but that's been happening for
some time.

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 24, 2011, 11:13:01 AM12/24/11
On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 10:16:31 -0500, "k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"
<k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote:

>How are timers going to cut down on crime (or liability, for that matter)?
>Most lamps used for parking lots don't take well to the cycling that motion
>sensors imply. There are things that can be done to lower usage, like hats to
>reflect light downward instead of into space, but that's been happening for
>some time.

Studies have shown that lighting in public areas is not so much of a
deterrent. Street lights make you feel secure, but people still get
mugged. For one thing, in a 20 acre parking area around a mall,
little crime takes place in the empty parking lot. 90% of the
lighting is in big open areas with nothing but paved lot. Why light
it? Maybe keep a light near the entrances.

Some years ago (1970's energy crisis?) some experimenting was done
with motion sensors on highway lights. I don't see any like that so I
don't imagine it worked all that well.

The point is, most of the lighting can be done away with as it serves
no purpose at all once the stores and factories are closed.

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Dec 24, 2011, 12:38:53 PM12/24/11
On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 11:13:01 -0500, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 10:16:31 -0500, "k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"
><k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote:
>

>>How are timers going to cut down on crime (or liability, for that matter)?
>>Most lamps used for parking lots don't take well to the cycling that motion
>>sensors imply. There are things that can be done to lower usage, like hats to
>>reflect light downward instead of into space, but that's been happening for
>>some time.
>
>Studies have shown that lighting in public areas is not so much of a
>deterrent. Street lights make you feel secure, but people still get
>mugged. For one thing, in a 20 acre parking area around a mall,
>little crime takes place in the empty parking lot.

The lights work! ;-)

>90% of the
>lighting is in big open areas with nothing but paved lot. Why light
>it? Maybe keep a light near the entrances.

Because no one will visit your stores at night if the parking lots are dark?
...including me.

>Some years ago (1970's energy crisis?) some experimenting was done
>with motion sensors on highway lights. I don't see any like that so I
>don't imagine it worked all that well.

Again, these sorts of lights don't like to be cycled.

>The point is, most of the lighting can be done away with as it serves
>no purpose at all once the stores and factories are closed.

Not believing it, though many are used 24/7 now. Most decent sized malls
around here have a grocery store in them.

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Dec 24, 2011, 12:46:03 PM12/24/11
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 14:55:37 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
<REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>j...@myplace.com wrote:
>
>>How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?
>>Just curious if others are stocking up?
>>I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124
>>more bulbs. They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local
>>store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month
>>ago.
>
>I have several 40 watt bulbs stashed away for the ceiling fans in my
>house and the bathroom fixtures that take them. CFLs are ugly and any
>fixture that actually exposes the bulb to view gets incandescents.

Exactly. I have ceiling fans/lights in every room, plus chandeliers in three.
All of them with visible bulbs. That, alone, is around 50 - 60W bulbs that no
CFLs are ever going to replace even if they were perfect in every other way
(they're certainly not). If my goal were to minimize electricity consumption,
light bulbs would be the last place I'd turn.

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Dec 24, 2011, 12:47:05 PM12/24/11
Dummies! Wait a few more weeks and sell them on eBay!

Robert Green

Dec 24, 2011, 1:34:11 PM12/24/11
"Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net> wrote >
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 01:14:30 -0600, j...@myplace.com wrote:

<stuff snipped>

> > >And here is a real clincher. Everytime I drive past my local electric
> > >company office at night, there is a light in nearly every window in
> > >the building, around 30 pole lights on in the parking lot, a lighted
> > >sign, using about three 1000W halogens, and a dozen or more lights on
> > >the exterior of the building. And guess what..... There is not even
> > >one car in their parking lot.
> >
> > Anyone that has ever look out the window of an airplane landing at
> > night sees the same thing all around. The amount of wasted electric is
> > incredible. Shopping centers, factories, thousands of closed stores
> > with signs are lit up the same as if there were throngs of people.
> >
> > Timers and motion sensors could save us a ton of emissions.
>
> It would also eliminate a lot of nighttime light pollution which would
> be a very good thing.

Researchers at some of the nation's leading astronomical observatories have
had some success convincing nearby towns to reduce the night glare by using
fewer lights and reflectors that keep the light pointed down.

Thank lawyers and muggers for the brightly lit empty lots. If someone gets
mugged in an unlit parking lot CHACHING! The lawyers are there in a NY
second.

--
Bobby G.

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 24, 2011, 2:01:41 PM12/24/11
On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 12:38:53 -0500, "k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"
<k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote:

>>90% of the
>>lighting is in big open areas with nothing but paved lot. Why light
>>it? Maybe keep a light near the entrances.
>
>Because no one will visit your stores at night if the parking lots are dark?
>...including me.

Sorry, I meant after store hours. Yes, they should be on when people
are actually using them.

>>The point is, most of the lighting can be done away with as it serves
>>no purpose at all once the stores and factories are closed.
>
>Not believing it, though many are used 24/7 now. Most decent sized malls
>around here have a grocery store in them.

Our town has four grocery stores. Only one is open 24 hours. The rest
have nothing open. In one shopping center, they built four additional
stores three years ago. The lights are on, but they have never been
occupied. They have stood empty and lighted for three years. Lights
are on even in the day time. Total waste.

Han

Dec 24, 2011, 8:35:07 PM12/24/11
"k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote in

> Exactly. I have ceiling fans/lights in every room, plus chandeliers
> in three. All of them with visible bulbs. That, alone, is around 50 -
> 60W bulbs that no CFLs are ever going to replace even if they were
> perfect in every other way (they're certainly not). If my goal were
> to minimize electricity consumption, light bulbs would be the last
> place I'd turn.

I may be insensitive compared to your sensitivity to having lights of
exactly the right color balance - no offense menat. Almost all our
lights are CFL, and they are fine for us. De gustibus non disputandem.
I bought one fixture with 3 LEDs of 1 Watt each that is perfect for
lighting an area of the kitchen counter that I like to be more lit than
with the current ambient lighting. I choose this much too expensive
fixture because I don't really like fluorescent under cabinet lighting,
and halogen is much too hot (for the spices above).

I live in North Jersey, and it could get cold here. We have porchlights
with CFLs and they work fine. Admittedly, the temperature doesn't often
get to less than 10°F here but there is an occasional morning where it is
around 0°F.

Han

Dec 24, 2011, 8:36:24 PM12/24/11
cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:8mlaf71i2n39noijm80ek2aaugn08nri73@
4ax.com:
Clare, where do you get affordable LEDs?

tmurp...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2011, 9:03:37 PM12/24/11
On Dec 23, 3:30 am, j...@myplace.com wrote:
> How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?
> Just curious if others are stocking up?
> I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124
> more bulbs.  They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local
> store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month
> ago.

How insane are you? Can it be measured?

JimT

Dec 24, 2011, 10:02:38 PM12/24/11
I'd say there are places for a full spectrum light. Maybe in lights for
paintings. But for everyday use a cfl provides enough spectrum for my
use. I donno. I don't see much of a difference. Probably more
psychological than actual. As for aesthetics, most of my light fixtures
are the type you can't see the bulb and the ones that do I don't really
care much what they look like. I've seen the more expensive ones that
look more like conventional lights but I don't think they justify the
expense.

Cfls have come along way. They last longer and give off a much softer
light than the 1st generation. I probably jumped in too soon but I have
cfls outside that have lasted over a decade. IMO it's a better mouse
trap but I can see why some would want to hang on to a few incan. bulbs.
I can easily adapt if it means I can save a few buck on my elec. bill.
Maybe some of these guys don't get elec. bills like I do in the summer
months. If moving to LEDs means I can save even more I'll be there
eventually.

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Dec 24, 2011, 11:39:09 PM12/24/11
On 25 Dec 2011 01:35:07 GMT, Han <nob...@nospam.not> wrote:

>"k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote in
>
>> Exactly. I have ceiling fans/lights in every room, plus chandeliers
>> in three. All of them with visible bulbs. That, alone, is around 50 -
>> 60W bulbs that no CFLs are ever going to replace even if they were
>> perfect in every other way (they're certainly not). If my goal were
>> to minimize electricity consumption, light bulbs would be the last
>> place I'd turn.
>
>I may be insensitive compared to your sensitivity to having lights of
>exactly the right color balance - no offense menat.

Sure, If I can ask why you find it so difficult to read simple sentences
(perhaps because you read only what you want to read). Color balance is a
completely different issue. CLFs are *ugly*. I don't want pig's tails
hanging from every fixture.

>Almost all our
>lights are CFL, and they are fine for us. De gustibus non disputandem.
>I bought one fixture with 3 LEDs of 1 Watt each that is perfect for
>lighting an area of the kitchen counter that I like to be more lit than
>with the current ambient lighting. I choose this much too expensive
>fixture because I don't really like fluorescent under cabinet lighting,
>and halogen is much too hot (for the spices above).

That isn't enough light to be useful, other than a nightlight sort of thing.

>I live in North Jersey, and it could get cold here. We have porchlights
>with CFLs and they work fine. Admittedly, the temperature doesn't often
>get to less than 10°F here but there is an occasional morning where it is
>around 0°F.

The fluroescents we had in VT didn't even work in our laundry (not a CFL) or
foyer (CFL). Forget outside. No, CFLs are dead, as far as I'm concerned.
I'll give LEDs a shot when the come down in price, by an order of magnitude.
Until then, I have a few hundred incandescents stockpiled.

Han

Dec 25, 2011, 7:39:28 AM12/25/11

> On 25 Dec 2011 01:35:07 GMT, Han <nob...@nospam.not> wrote:
>
>>"k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote in
>>
>>> Exactly. I have ceiling fans/lights in every room, plus chandeliers
>>> in three. All of them with visible bulbs. That, alone, is around 50
>>> - 60W bulbs that no CFLs are ever going to replace even if they were
>>> perfect in every other way (they're certainly not). If my goal were
>>> to minimize electricity consumption, light bulbs would be the last
>>> place I'd turn.
>>
>>I may be insensitive compared to your sensitivity to having lights of
>>exactly the right color balance - no offense menat.
>
> Sure, If I can ask why you find it so difficult to read simple
> sentences (perhaps because you read only what you want to read).
> Color balance is a completely different issue. CLFs are *ugly*. I
> don't want pig's tails hanging from every fixture.
>
>>Almost all our
>>lights are CFL, and they are fine for us. De gustibus non
>>disputandem. I bought one fixture with 3 LEDs of 1 Watt each that is
>>perfect for lighting an area of the kitchen counter that I like to be
>>more lit than with the current ambient lighting. I choose this much
>>too expensive fixture because I don't really like fluorescent under
>>cabinet lighting, and halogen is much too hot (for the spices above).
>
> That isn't enough light to be useful, other than a nightlight sort of
> thing.

You'd be amazed if you saw it. Yes it is like task lighting, not for the
whole (tiny) kitchen, but that area.

>>I live in North Jersey, and it could get cold here. We have
>>porchlights with CFLs and they work fine. Admittedly, the temperature
>>doesn't often get to less than 10°F here but there is an occasional
>>morning where it is around 0°F.
>
> The fluroescents we had in VT didn't even work in our laundry (not a
> CFL) or foyer (CFL). Forget outside. No, CFLs are dead, as far as
> I'm concerned. I'll give LEDs a shot when the come down in price, by
> an order of magnitude. Until then, I have a few hundred incandescents
> stockpiled.

I always like it when others do as I do, spend money where it is useless,
just to keep the economy going
</sarcasm>

You do as you like and I'll do as I like. No harm, no foul.

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Dec 25, 2011, 3:22:03 PM12/25/11
For a *small* spot, believable. For an entire countertop, not.

>>>I live in North Jersey, and it could get cold here. We have
>>>porchlights with CFLs and they work fine. Admittedly, the temperature
>>>doesn't often get to less than 10°F here but there is an occasional
>>>morning where it is around 0°F.
>>
>> The fluroescents we had in VT didn't even work in our laundry (not a
>> CFL) or foyer (CFL). Forget outside. No, CFLs are dead, as far as
>> I'm concerned. I'll give LEDs a shot when the come down in price, by
>> an order of magnitude. Until then, I have a few hundred incandescents
>> stockpiled.
>
>I always like it when others do as I do, spend money where it is useless,
>just to keep the economy going
></sarcasm>

"Useless" is in the eye of the beholder. Many would think a $90 12" square is
"useless", too. ;-)

>You do as you like and I'll do as I like. No harm, no foul.

That's all I'm asking. It's you lefties who think you know how to spend my
money better than I.

Han

Dec 25, 2011, 8:36:24 PM12/25/11

> That's all I'm asking. It's you lefties who think you know how to
> spend my money better than I.

That is in the eye of the beholder as well. If I were to take an extreme
view (which I don't in this matter), I could say that it is more important
to stimulate energy conservation and develop "green" energy sources than it
is to finance wars.

So, yes, I'm a lefty, and I will decide what is good for the country, not
Bush and his consorts.

That was a joke ...

HeyBub

Dec 26, 2011, 7:14:32 AM12/26/11
What's good for the individual, writ large, is good for the country. What's
good for the country, at the smallest level, is bad for the individual.

Han

Dec 26, 2011, 8:28:31 AM12/26/11
"HeyBub" <hey...@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in

> What's good for the individual, writ large, is good for the country.
> What's good for the country, at the smallest level, is bad for the
> individual.

Here I have to disagree. It seems good for the individual to get tax
exemptions and/or subsidies, but sometimes it isn't good for the country.
I believe laws underlying economic policies with benefits to groups or
individuals should have automatic sunsets in them after a maximum of 5
years or so. I'd like to see them minimized as much as possible. That may
eventually include mortgage deductions (my home is almost paid off).

tra...@optonline.net

Dec 26, 2011, 9:16:43 AM12/26/11
On Dec 26, 8:28 am, Han <nob...@nospam.not> wrote:
> "HeyBub" <hey...@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote innews:Fo6dnbnLgKq0-GXT...@earthlink.com:
You do realize which party wants to eliminate most deductions,
loopholes, simplify the tax code while simulaneously reducing rates?
And which party won't even discuss it?

Han

Dec 26, 2011, 11:39:00 AM12/26/11
"tra...@optonline.net" <tra...@optonline.net> wrote in

> On Dec 26, 8:28 am, Han <nob...@nospam.not> wrote:
>> "HeyBub" <hey...@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote
>> innews:Fo6dnbnLgKq0-GXTnZ2dnUVZ_u
> edn...@earthlink.com:
>>
>> > What's good for the individual, writ large, is good for the
>> > country. What's good for the country, at the smallest level, is bad
>> > for the individual.
>>
>> Here I have to disagree.  It seems good for the individual to get tax
>> exemptions and/or subsidies, but sometimes it isn't good for the
>> country. I believe laws underlying economic policies with benefits to
>> groups or individuals should have automatic sunsets in them after a
>> maximum of 5 years or so.  I'd like to see them minimized as much as
>> possible.  Th
> at may
>> eventually include mortgage deductions (my home is almost paid off).
>>
>> --
>> Best regards
>> Han
>> email address is invalid
>
> You do realize which party wants to eliminate most deductions,
> loopholes, simplify the tax code while simulaneously reducing rates?
> And which party won't even discuss it?

I'm hoping that a more fair tax structure will result ... That's the
party I am supporting, not the party that wants tax breaks for the rich
and powerful (corporations). <grin>.

Dan Espen

Dec 26, 2011, 11:42:16 AM12/26/11
Yeah, I think we all know.

Seems like a plan, raise taxes on the lowest income brackets
while lowering taxes on the upper brackets. Then complain
non-stop about the deficit.

--
Dan Espen

willshak

Dec 26, 2011, 11:49:40 AM12/26/11
j...@myplace.com wrote the following:
> How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?
> Just curious if others are stocking up?
> I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124
> more bulbs. They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local
> store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month
> ago.

I don't have any 100 watt incands stocked up.
AAMOF,I don't have a single 100 watt incand bulb anywhere in the house.
I do have two 100 watt equivalent CFLs, tho.
(they were freebies that came in the mail from my elec. co. just recently)
I also have a few 60 watt incands that haven't been changed over to CFLs
yet.
I'm not doing it for the world, just for my wallet.
Four 60 watt equivalent CFLs use less electricity than one 60 watt
incand bulb.
I have them in table lamps, desk lamps (both sideways and upside down),
and even in recessed ceiling lamps with lenses.
80% of my lamps are CFLs and regular fluorescent tube lamps.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Attila.Iskander

Dec 26, 2011, 11:59:47 AM12/26/11

<tra...@optonline.net> wrote in message
> [...]
You need to be specific for some people, otherwise they will remain
clueless.

Han

Dec 26, 2011, 12:23:29 PM12/26/11
"Attila.Iskander" <Attila....@Live.com> wrote in
I disagree. Being vague has its charms, and keeps disagreement polite.

But I know what I mean <smirk>.

John

Dec 26, 2011, 1:07:14 PM12/26/11
On 12/23/2011 3:30 AM, j...@myplace.com wrote:
> How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?
> Just curious if others are stocking up?
> I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124
> more bulbs. They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local
> store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month
> ago.

CFL's are fine inside (or in warm weather outside) but outside in winter
they take a while to brighten up at all and never really achieve full
brightness. They last a *lot* longer than incandescent in warm areas,
but outside in the cold and on all night every night I have yet to get a
year out of any of them.

I put up three new fans this summer and all came with pigtail CFL's. The
pair of three light fans outside on the breezeway aren't doing all that
well since it got cold. The four light fan I put in the kitchen however
throws a lot more light than the 3 bulb incandescent fixture it replaced.

All the bulbs I have mentioned here are 60 watt or equivalent.

I have some 100 watt equivalent bulbs in lamp fixtures downstairs in the
game room which are never shut off. They have been going strong for years.

So CFL's have a place, its just not in the cold or where naked bulbs are
noticeable.

John

zxcvbob

Dec 26, 2011, 1:35:20 PM12/26/11
j...@myplace.com wrote:
> How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?
> Just curious if others are stocking up?
> I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124
> more bulbs. They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local
> store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month
> ago.

About 2 dozen.

-Bob

Bernie Ward

Dec 26, 2011, 2:13:16 PM12/26/11
There's no need to fill your spare bedroom with 100 watt light bulbs.

Here's a new GE incandescent bulb that puts out as much light as
previous 100 watt bulbs but only uses 72 watts so it meets the new
gooberment energy requirements.

Item #: 338918 | Model #: 66152

http://www.lowes.com/pd_338918-371-66152_0__

Han

Dec 26, 2011, 4:21:40 PM12/26/11
Bernie Ward <bernie.ward@hotmail> wrote in
That's rather pricey for a 1000 hr life-time bulb

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Dec 26, 2011, 6:06:16 PM12/26/11
On 26 Dec 2011 01:36:24 GMT, Han <nob...@nospam.not> wrote:

>"k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote in
>
>> That's all I'm asking. It's you lefties who think you know how to
>> spend my money better than I.
>
>That is in the eye of the beholder as well. If I were to take an extreme
>view (which I don't in this matter), I could say that it is more important
>to stimulate energy conservation and develop "green" energy sources than it
>is to finance wars.

Energy, "green" or otherwise, won't do you any good without markets, trade,
and the freedom to use them.

>So, yes, I'm a lefty, and I will decide what is good for the country, not
>Bush and his consorts.

Bush is just as much of a "decider" as you are, now. Funny, you lefties are
still blaming him for the weather.

>That was a joke ...

Lefties are all jokes, but none are at all funny.

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Dec 26, 2011, 6:07:36 PM12/26/11
The problem with the whole concept of "fair" is who gets to decide the matter.
You lefties can't be trusted with *any* decisions.

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Dec 26, 2011, 6:08:34 PM12/26/11
More lefty lies. (Nothing new to see here, folks. Move along.

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Dec 26, 2011, 6:13:04 PM12/26/11
On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 11:49:40 -0500, willshak <will...@00hvc.rr.com> wrote:

>j...@myplace.com wrote the following:
>> How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?
>> Just curious if others are stocking up?
>> I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124
>> more bulbs. They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local
>> store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month
>> ago.
>>

>I don't have any 100 watt incands stocked up.
>AAMOF,I don't have a single 100 watt incand bulb anywhere in the house.

I have two 100W incandescents in the house (the garage, actually). Since they
will be illegal in a few days, I just bought 100 from 1000Bulbs, though.

>I do have two 100 watt equivalent CFLs, tho.
>(they were freebies that came in the mail from my elec. co. just recently)
>I also have a few 60 watt incands that haven't been changed over to CFLs
>yet.
>I'm not doing it for the world, just for my wallet.
>Four 60 watt equivalent CFLs use less electricity than one 60 watt
>incand bulb.

About the same. I don't have a problem with the market speaking. I *do* have
a problem with the losers in Congress deciding what's good for me.

>I have them in table lamps, desk lamps (both sideways and upside down),
>and even in recessed ceiling lamps with lenses.
>80% of my lamps are CFLs and regular fluorescent tube lamps.

Zero. I had a few in my last house. Didn't like them at *all*.

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Dec 26, 2011, 6:17:52 PM12/26/11
At 6x the price. Actually, I like halogens for some applications. OTOH, I
have a couple in the kitchen and they throw shadows worse than the regular
incandescents (haven't figured out the physics). I really like the crisp
white light but the shadows aren't so great.

Vic Smith

Dec 26, 2011, 6:52:08 PM12/26/11
No incandescents in stock here.
But I have most of 2 cases of CFL's
18 bulbs a case, 60 watt equivalent, Feit brand.
Son picked up 4 cases a Menards for 5 bucks each and gave us 2 of
them. That's 28 cents a bulb.
I've got all CFL in the house except a couple old bulbs in the
basement, and some "special use" in appliances and cabinets.
I live a bit north of Chicago. It gets cold.
My outside garage doorway light is a CFL.
My front porch light is a CFL.
They work fine in the winter. Take a few minutes to get to speed.
Doesn't bother me.
All tube fluorescent in the garage.
They take a few minutes to warm up too.
Got CALl's in shaded lamps, globe ceiling fixtures, tulip ceiling
fixtures on fans, and a 5 bare-bulb strip over the bathroom vanity.
The bare CALl's are much easier on our eyes than incandescents.
As far as pigtails being ugly, I never even thought about that.
Never was one to measure the beauty of light bulbs.
But I have easily wiped off a few dusty incandescents in my life.
That would be a hassle with a pigtail.
On the other hand, my son is a truck suspension shop mechanic.
The pit lights and portable work lights are CFL's now because they
don't pop like incandescents when hit by oil or water spatter.

Anyway, I don't see a problem with phasing out the selling of some
incandescents. Seen various numbers about energy savings.
And I don't see anything wrong with stocking up on the incandescents
if that's what you like.
To the guy always complaining about his barn light, he doesn't even
have to stockpile. Just go to a 150 watt incandescent there.

--Vic

Louis Litt

Dec 26, 2011, 7:29:03 PM12/26/11
Cheaper than hoarding 300+ illegal bulbs though.

Han

Dec 26, 2011, 9:41:31 PM12/26/11
"k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote in
Fair is in the eyes of the beholder. I don't think it is fair that the
"1%" (note my quotes) keep getting richer and richer and that the middle
class is getting poorer and poorer. Because it is only happening because
the laws are written by the rich. IMO (humble or not) that is a very,
very dangerous course for the rich to be on.

Dan Espen

Dec 26, 2011, 9:46:05 PM12/26/11
Stupid to bother, but...

I've apparently lied. Since trader isn't specific, all I know
is that I've posted "lies" (more than one). So:

1) raise taxes on lowest income brackets
2) lower taxes on upper income brackets
3) complain non-stop about the deficits

I'm going to guess that number 3 is a commonly accepted fact.
If anyone thinks that the party in question hasn't raised holy
hell about the deficits raise your hand. ... Nope no one.

So we're disputing the facts of the various republican tax plans?

I remember when Cain came up with his 999 plan.
Instead of a graduated tax rate, we had everyone paying 9%.
I guess that's nothing like points 1 and 2 above???

--
Dan Espen

Han

Dec 26, 2011, 9:46:39 PM12/26/11
Louis Litt <louis...@pearson-harden.llc> wrote in
I don't care about your "illegal". It isn't illegal to buy them now. It
may be not legal to sell them next year, but that is something else.

Btw, I think it isn't very smart to spend that much on bulbs you may
never use. Something like the cost-benefit ratio. But that is hogwash
too, since we won't know how much the kWh price will be 3, 5, or 10 years
from now.

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 26, 2011, 10:28:34 PM12/26/11
On 26 Dec 2011 21:21:40 GMT, Han <nob...@nospam.not> wrote:

Not so bad, really. Over the 1000 hours, where I live it would cost
$12.96 to operate compared to $18 for a standard bulb. The savings
pay for it.

In a couple of years, maybe the cost to buy will be half that.

Vic Smith

Dec 26, 2011, 10:45:07 PM12/26/11
On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 18:13:04 -0500, "k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"
<k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote:

>About the same. I don't have a problem with the market speaking. I *do* have
>a problem with the losers in Congress deciding what's good for me.

You can move to Somalia or many other places if you have a problem
with the U.S. Constitution and U.S. form of government.
People do that all the time, don't they?
But your point is taken.
Here's a Congressman who proves that point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZczIgVXjg

--Vic

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 26, 2011, 10:59:01 PM12/26/11
On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 22:28:34 -0500, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:

>>> Item #: 338918 | Model #: 66152
>>>
>>> http://www.lowes.com/pd_338918-371-66152_0__
>>
>>That's rather pricey for a 1000 hr life-time bulb
>
>Not so bad, really. Over the 1000 hours, where I live it would cost
>$12.96 to operate compared to $18 for a standard bulb. The savings
>pay for it.
>
>In a couple of years, maybe the cost to buy will be half that.

Correction. I just noticed that is a 2 pack and I figured $5 a single
bulb. Payback is even better.
It is loading more messages.