HF Air Compressor Fitting Leak

DerbyDad03

Jan 14, 2011, 9:23:12 AM1/14/11
I own an older model of this HF Air Compressor:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-3-hp-3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-air-compressor-97080.html

As far as I can tell, only the tank and frame are different, the gauge
set-up seems to be the same.

In any case, the hose leaks at the quick release coupler on the tank
if any "tension" is put on the hose. As soon as the hose gets just a
few degrees from straight out, the fitting leaks. As far as I can tell
it's the quick release coupler, not the hose that's the issue.

Is something that can be cleaned/adjusted or should I just replace the
fitting?

Thanks!

dpb

Jan 14, 2011, 9:55:01 AM1/14/11
DerbyDad03 wrote:

> ...should I just replace the fitting?

In all likelihood, yes...

I'd seriously doubt HF spec'ed quality fittings...

ChairMan

Jan 14, 2011, 10:26:34 AM1/14/11
In news:380e1316-cac4-4890...@15g2000vbz.googlegroups.com,
DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> spewed forth:

if its a HF quick release, absolutely.
I've had many of them leak

Jon Danniken

Jan 14, 2011, 11:48:29 AM1/14/11

My old (cheapy) Campbell Hausfelt fittings leaked like that until I replaced
them with some of the brass ones from Harbor Freight. I think unless you go
with a domestic manufacturer you're going to have a few leakers get through
quality control.

I will say that I am happy with the brass ones I have on there now.

Jon

Joe

Jan 14, 2011, 2:19:35 PM1/14/11
On Jan 14, 8:23 am, DerbyDad03 <teamarr...@eznet.net> wrote:

>snip<

> Is something that can be cleaned/adjusted or should I just replace the
> fitting?

Replace the fitting, but not on the compressor. Instead, put the
coupling on a short length of hose screwed into the compressor outlet.
The reason for this is that the compressor vibration will cause severe
wear on the spud lower flange from the 3 retaining balls in the
coupling and allow it to move enough to leak past the O-ring. On
rather large compressors this will not be a problem, but it is on the
budget models.
Air fittings range widely in quality. No brand of air fittings has
more loyal users than MIlton. They have a 90+ page catalog that can be
DL'd which will take a lot of the mystery out of air fittings of all
types. You can sometimes get a bit more service life from an old
compressor by switching over to Milton's new high flow V-type
fittings. Most of the body shops in our area have converted to keep up
with HVLP demands.

Joe

Oren

Jan 14, 2011, 5:44:00 PM1/14/11
On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:19:35 -0800 (PST), Joe <jbo...@aol.com> wrote:

>> Is something that can be cleaned/adjusted or should I just replace the
>> fitting?
>
>Replace the fitting, but not on the compressor. Instead, put the
>coupling on a short length of hose screwed into the compressor outlet.
>The reason for this is that the compressor vibration will cause severe
>wear on the spud lower flange from the 3 retaining balls in the
>coupling and allow it to move enough to leak past the O-ring.

I like your idea of using a hose to extend the fitting and reduce
vibration. My PC pancake compressor leaks if the hose gets taunt from
pulling the hose and such. If I wiggle it the leak stops. The hose
sounds like a solution.

Thanks.

Smitty Two

Jan 15, 2011, 12:25:23 PM1/15/11
In article <50k1j6pn82kuv4nro...@4ax.com>,
Oren <Or...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> My PC pancake compressor leaks if the hose gets taunt from
> pulling the hose and such.

Well, what do you expect? Stop taunting your hose by pulling on it.