Recessed Lighting & Ceiling Fans???

bdarian

Jul 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/8/00

My wife and I are finishing plans on a home( construction has already
started... but our lighting selections are not yet permanent ).

The room in question is a family room. We have pre-wired a ceiling fan
box already... We are now thinking about putting 4 recessed lights( cans
I guess? We are planning to place the lights in a rectangular fashion
encompassing the ceiling fan.

My questions are:

1. Does the light from the recessed lamps cause any type of strobing
effect, or undesirable shadows with the spinning fan blade?

2. How far out would you think the placement of the lights should be
from the outer radius of the fan-blades?

3. Has anyone put both recessed lighting and a ceiling fan in a 11' or
smaller ceiling??? What were the benefits/challenges? Would you do it
again?

Thanx...

bdarian

-G.

Jul 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/8/00
I'd install the recessed cans around the perimeter of the room, about 2 feet
from the walls. And make sure they are on a separate switch.

bdarian wrote:

--
If I had a spammer, I'd spammer in the morning.
I'd spammer in the evening...

Jim Mattheiss

Jul 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/9/00
In a prior house we installed a ceiling fan and 4 recessed "cans" in the
cathedral ceiling of our MBR. The flat portion of the of the ceiling was
10' by 12' with the fan in the middle and the cans in the 4 corners about 2'
from the corners. The fan was hanging down on a 36" downrod. There was a
lot of "strobing" when the fan was on.

I think that the effect would be minimized if you maximize the distance
between the end of the fan blade and the light. To do that you might not be
able to light the room in the desired manner because of the light placement.

Best of luck with your project.

Jim Mattheiss

H. Myler

Jul 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/9/00
In article <MPG.13d15a613...@nntp.mindspring.com>, bdarian
<bda...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My wife and I are finishing plans on a home( construction has already
>started... but our lighting selections are not yet permanent ).
>
>The room in question is a family room. We have pre-wired a ceiling fan
>box already... We are now thinking about putting 4 recessed lights( cans
>I guess? We are planning to place the lights in a rectangular fashion
>encompassing the ceiling fan.
>
>My questions are:
>
>1. Does the light from the recessed lamps cause any type of strobing
>effect, or undesirable shadows with the spinning fan blade?

I put fans in two rooms that had recessed fixtures too close (had no
choice) and the strobing is aggravating so we don't run fan and recessed
simultaneously. It is rough to judge distances here, but the further
away the better.

I guess we need to ask what you want to accomplish. Ceiling cans add to
energy inefficiency unless they are the sealed type. Possibly spot
halogens might be a better choice. Those you can aim so that the light
cone is below the blades.

indi

Jul 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/9/00
hi...we just made the same decision here...our room is 16
x26 and has 2 fans...the strobing effect was one step over
the line...in the end we used 2 canisters to highligt a
small stove against the wall (there's even a new technique
for that)...after talking with at least 5 'lighting
technicians' about where to place the canisters i decided
there is no right or wrong except that strobing
effect...fans and cannisters just don't mix...what my
husband and i came up with was the 2 cans,the 2 much
appreciated fans (with low profile light fixtures), a pool
table light and floor lamps where i need them...they can
always be set back in a corner out of the way...the plan
turned out simple and functional but i don't think i'll be
sorry...good luck...these decisions get to be a pita don't
they?...mary