Drain field for washing machine only

bo...@hboi.edu

Feb 11, 2008, 9:53:51 AM2/11/08
I have a 30 year old septic system and the guy who pumped it out
recently tried to sell me on having a separate leach field installed
for the washing machine. He says it would prolong the life of the
main septic system, espeically now that our kids are getting to the
age where we are doing lots of laundry. It sounds logical,
considering the washing machine dumps lots of water, detergent and
bleach into the main system. Our old wash machine is 12 years old and
showing signs of its age. I will probably be getting a new unit
within a year that uses less water.

But I wanted to get more opinions before I do anything.

If I do go through with it, it will mean running a drain line through
a wall into the garage, then running it along the inside wall of the
garage about 20 feet and through the exterior wall before going
underground. Any concerns there?

beecrofter

Feb 11, 2008, 10:24:40 AM2/11/08

Make it oversize, properly sloped and with cleanouts in case it gets
clogged and you should have no problem with a french drain for your
washer.
Septic guy knows that synthetic lint will clog your leach field .

Message has been deleted

S. Barker

Feb 11, 2008, 11:44:28 AM2/11/08
Your guy is correct. You never want to run your washer into a septic
system. What you CAN do however, is just stick a pipe out the back and put
a splash block under it and forget it.

Or if you have a gravel driveway by chance, it can run down it. Many
options. You certainly don't need the expense of an elaborate leach field
just for a washer.

<bo...@hboi.edu> wrote in message

benick

Feb 11, 2008, 12:30:06 PM2/11/08

"S. Barker" <ichase...@coldmail.com> wrote in message

> Your guy is correct. You never want to run your washer into a septic
> system. What you CAN do however, is just stick a pipe out the back and
> put a splash block under it and forget it.
>
> Or if you have a gravel driveway by chance, it can run down it. Many
> options. You certainly don't need the expense of an elaborate leach
> field just for a washer.

NOT in Maine you can't...It HAS to go into septic.....So he SHOULD check
with inspector FIRST....

Message has been deleted

Mark

Feb 11, 2008, 1:16:35 PM2/11/08
Google "graywater" and sites such as www.oasisdesign.net/greywater/ will
tell you a lot about using washer drain water ( and other non-toilet waste
water) for irrigation. Any water that has been used in the home, except
water from toilets, is called grey water. Dish, shower, sink, and laundry
water comprise 50-80% of residential "waste" water. This may be reused for
other purposes, especially landscape irrigation.

There can be permit and legal issues, so probably best to check into it.
Surprisingly detergents and bleach are generally such a small percent of the
waters content, they don't pose any real threat to vegetation. Besides,
they are going into your leach field anyway, so they're getting into the
environment eventually either way.

<bo...@hboi.edu> wrote in message
> [...]

bo...@hboi.edu

Feb 11, 2008, 1:21:31 PM2/11/08
I'm on sand, so I could just pump right into the yard and it will go
straight down. Not sure local codes will allow, but assuming they do,
I will have about a 50 foot run (including a couple 90 degree bends)
cause I need to go through some walls as discussed in my first post.
What is the minimum size pipe I should use. I want it as small as
possible.
Message has been deleted

Roy Starrin

Feb 12, 2008, 8:39:51 AM2/12/08
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 06:53:51 -0800 (PST), bo...@hboi.edu wrote:

> He says it would prolong the life of the
>main septic system, espeically now that our kids are getting to the
>age where we are doing lots of laundry. It sounds logical,
>considering the washing machine dumps lots of water, detergent and
>bleach into the main system. Our old wash machine is 12 years old and
>showing signs of its age. I will probably be getting a new unit
>within a year that uses less water.
>
>But I wanted to get more opinions before I do anything.

Will the Filtrol 160 work for you?
http://www.filtrol160.com/

bo...@hboi.edu

Feb 12, 2008, 1:29:42 PM2/12/08

> Will the Filtrol 160 work for you?http://www.filtrol160.com/

Yes. I wondered about filters, but just thought the detergent was bad
too. Sounds like the lint is worst.

Thanks for the help.

M Q

Feb 12, 2008, 5:22:42 PM2/12/08

benick wrote:

> NOT in Maine you can't...It HAS to go into septic....

Banana trees don't grow in Maine.

HeyBub

Feb 13, 2008, 8:36:44 AM2/13/08
benick wrote:

> NOT in Maine you can't...It HAS to go into septic.....So he SHOULD
> check with inspector FIRST....

MAINE:
GRAYWATER: 1509.0 Separated Laundry Disposal Systems. The plumbing inspector
may approve a separate laundry system for single-family dwelling units. A
separated laundry field requires an application for subsurface waste water
disposal system completed by a licensed site evaluator and a permit to
install the system. Only waste water from a washing machine may be
discharged to the separate laundry disposal field designed for that purpose.
Separate laundry disposal fields may be designed and used for hot tubs or
backwash water. A separated laundry disposal field does not require a septic
tank.

DJ

Sep 30, 2014, 3:44:02 PM9/30/14
replying to borne, DJ wrote:
STEP One: Become familiar with related codes in your area. Often a person
can be fined HEAVILY for taking the actions suggested thus far[although
there are some splendid suggestions].
Step Two: This what I have done in the past:
1- Dig a hole large enough to accommodate a 55 gal drum and a
considerable amount of rock. Best to use rock NOT in the limestone
family[it tends to breakdown and become almost like a crush-n-run after a
period of repeated water saturation... clogging the drainage area].
2- Drill MULTIPLE holes in the drum for drainage.
3- Apply a layer of rock in the bottom of the dug hole before drum
placement 4-6 inches should suffice... more is better in this application.
4- Set drum[as upright as possible], begin filling around drum with
rock... you want the rock around the drum wide enough to allow leaching
[min 18-24 inches]... this will alter with type of soil in area. Also note
that during the draining process, a sandy soil may leach back into the
rock bed causing blockage. Two cycles of an older washing machine will
darn near fill a 55 gal drum. Many of the newer machines use considerably
less water.
5- Run the drainage line to the larger bung-hole of the drum... some elect
to go with oversized piping which is a good move also and can be done by
cutting a mating diameter hole in the UPPER SIDE of the drum just below
where the lid fits.
6-Seal entry connection with a marine type caulking, as best you can.
[This side entry also is good because it maintains a better, straight,
direct, flow].
7- Finish filling area around drum with rock. Cover drum with rock a few
inches...
8- top that with heavy mil plastic layer... another thin layer of rock and
finish covering with dirt/topsoil.
Here is another option I did. The secondary bung-hole should have
inserted in it a small piece of thick wall PVC that comes up ABOVE ground
level but below lawn-mower level. It should be well sealed at point it
enters the drum. This is to allow air to escape and thusly no back
pressure to the washing machine and if water comes through this pipe you
know that the leaching process is not fast enough for the machine use.
Corrections will need to be made. The same steps can apply for "two drum"
systems which may be an option dependent on amount of use.
Expense incurred: Cost of the drum[s], additional piping,
sealant/caulking, rock[ I found recycled concrete works good, size #4{it
has *some* limestone... however during the recycling process most of that
characteristic is removed. If you pick it up/not delivered under $20 a
ton], your labor. The labor worth varies according to type of ground you
are working in ;o)

Tekkie®

Sep 30, 2014, 7:15:03 PM9/30/14
DJ posted for all of us...

I may not have read all messages.
I think (my opinion only) is that a premade plastic french drain tank would
be better, it would have the holes in it and have a cover that one would not
have to kludge fittings into.

--
Tekkie

RobertMacy

Oct 1, 2014, 9:58:52 AM10/1/14
On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:44:02 -0700, DJ
<caedfaa9ed1216d60e...@example.com> wrote:

> STEP One: Become familiar with related codes in your area. Often a
> person
> can be fined HEAVILY for taking the actions suggested thus far[although
> there are some splendid suggestions].
> ...snip excellent constreuction details just to keep AIOE happy ....

Our septic guy said we were allowed 600 gal per day. There's NO way we can
go through 600 gal per day!

BUT, he said be careful because the water from underwear laundry contains
ecoli.

However, you can solve that potential problem by 'prewashing' underwear in
a bleach solution.

People constantly prewash their dishes, but rarely prewash their clothing.
Message has been deleted