Google Influenced Midterm Elections, May Have Cost Republicans Seats: Study

Home Guy

Mar 22, 2019, 10:33:49 PM3/22/19
Google Influenced Midterm Elections, May Have Cost Republicans Seats: Study

Fri, 03/22/2019 - 16:45

New research reveals that Google built biases into its search results
that influenced the 2018 midterm elections - possibly costing
Republicans three congressional districts.

First things first - the study was conducted by Dr. Robert Epstein - a
San Diego-based Harvard Ph.D. who founded the Cambridge Center for
Behavioral Studies. He's also a Senior Research Psychologist at the
American Institute for Behavioral Research and Technology (AIBRT), a
UCSD visiting scholar, and served as editor-in-chief of Psychology Today.

He also supported Hillary Clinton in 2016 (just like Google!).

Down to the findings:

Epstein and AIBRT analyzed Google searches linked to three highly
competitive southern California congressional races in which Democrats
won, and found that Google's "clear democrat bias" may have flipped the
seats away from Republican candidates. According to the study, at least
35,455 undecided voters within the three California districts may have
been persuaded to vote Democrat due to the biased Google search results.

Epstein says that in the days leading up to the 2018 midterms, he
was able to preserve "more than 47,000 election-related searches on
Google, Bing, and Yahoo, along with the nearly 400,000 web pages to
which the search results linked."

Analysis of this data showed a clear pro-Democrat bias in
election-related Google search results as compared to competing search
engines. Users performing Google searches related to the three
congressional races the study focused on were significantly more likely
to see pro-Democrat stories and links at the top of their results.

As Epstein's previous studies have shown, this can have a huge
impact on the decisions of undecided voters, who often assume that their
search results are unbiased. Epstein has called this the Search Engine
Manipulation Effect (SEME). -Breitbart

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/04/24/exclusive-research-google-search-manipulation-can-swing-nearly-80-percent-undecided-voters/

Google executives and Democrats have disputed Epstein's findings,
apparently unaware that we can simply google documented instances of the
Silicon Valley search giant's overt bias surrounding elections, their
ability to influence them, and their other efforts to hobble conservatives.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/google-workers-discussed-tweaking-search-function-to-counter-travel-ban-1537488472?mod=hp_lead_pos3

https://www.zerohedge.com/s3/files/inline-images/schmidt%20hillary%20%282%29.jpg

"These are new forms of manipulation people can't see," said Epstein,
who added that technology "can have an enormous impact on voters who are
undecided. People have no awareness the influence is being exerted."

Reporting extensively on the work of Epstein is Breitbart News' senior
tech reporter, Allum Bokhari, who notes that the latest findings "are
based on modest assumptions, such as the assumption that voters conduct
one election-related search per week." In other words, the bias could be
much more pronounced in reality.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-03-22/google-influenced-midterm-elections-may-have-cost-republicans-seats-study

Shadow

Mar 22, 2019, 11:59:53 PM3/22/19
On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 22:35:36 -0400, Home Guy <Ho...@Guy.C0M> wrote:

>Google Influenced Midterm Elections, May Have Cost Republicans Seats

Some good news at last. TY. Google trying to undo the damage
Facebook did in the last Presidential elections with their barrage of
#FAKE_NEWS.
Not that Google is a saint....... far from it.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

angelica...@yahoo.com

Mar 23, 2019, 7:03:25 AM3/23/19
On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 10:33:49 PM UTC-4, Home Guy wrote:
> Google Influenced Midterm Elections, May Have Cost Republicans Seats: Study
>
> Fri, 03/22/2019 - 16:45
>
> New research reveals that Google built biases into its search results
> that influenced the 2018 midterm elections - possibly costing
> Republicans three congressional districts.

The person known as "Google" was simply exercising his First Amendment
rights to free speech.

Cindy Hamilton

Home Guy

Mar 23, 2019, 10:40:42 AM3/23/19
Cindy Hamilton (aka angelicapaganelli @ yahoo.com) wrote:

>> Google Influenced Midterm Elections, May Have Cost Republicans Seats
>
> The person known as "Google" was simply exercising his First Amendment
> rights to free speech.

Hey Cindy, I bet you're happy about the Dutch elections a few days ago eh?

So the next time Google claims to be unbiased about what they do, you'll
be the first one to speak up and call them on it then?

Or do you talk out of both sides of your face on this, like most SJW's
and leftists do?

Dean Hoffman

Mar 23, 2019, 11:05:46 AM3/23/19
Google is a private entity. They/it can do whatever they/it
chooses.
Healthy competition should kill them as a business if they/it get too
extreme.

gfre...@aol.com

Mar 23, 2019, 11:42:13 AM3/23/19
The problem with companies like Google is that there is no real
competition.

Frank

Mar 23, 2019, 12:04:23 PM3/23/19
That is basically the problem. They are a private concern but
increasing public scrutiny could cause them to be regulated like a monopoly.

angelica...@yahoo.com

Mar 23, 2019, 12:55:03 PM3/23/19
On Saturday, March 23, 2019 at 10:40:42 AM UTC-4, Home Guy wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton (aka angelicapaganelli @ yahoo.com) wrote:
>
> >> Google Influenced Midterm Elections, May Have Cost Republicans Seats
> >
> > The person known as "Google" was simply exercising his First Amendment
> > rights to free speech.
>
> Hey Cindy, I bet you're happy about the Dutch elections a few days ago eh?

I'm not Dutch. I don't care.

> So the next time Google claims to be unbiased about what they do, you'll
> be the first one to speak up and call them on it then?

Anybody who thinks Google is unbiased is an idiot.

> Or do you talk out of both sides of your face on this, like most SJW's
> and leftists do?

You don't think Citizen's United was a good ruling? That's what I was
alluding to.

Cindy Hamilton

gfre...@aol.com

Mar 23, 2019, 1:16:44 PM3/23/19
On Sat, 23 Mar 2019 09:54:59 -0700 (PDT), angelica...@yahoo.com
wrote:

>You don't think Citizen's United was a good ruling? That's what I was
>alluding to.

If that was your question, no it was a horrible ruling. The SCOTUS
basically said "money talks".

Ed Pawlowski

Mar 23, 2019, 3:13:11 PM3/23/19
There is Bing, Duckduckgo. Evidently the people have spoken and prefer
Google.

Shadow

Mar 23, 2019, 4:31:00 PM3/23/19
On Sat, 23 Mar 2019 15:13:08 -0400, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.xxx> wrote:

>> That is basically the problem.  They are a private concern but
>> increasing public scrutiny could cause them to be regulated like a
>> monopoly.
>
>There is Bing, Duckduckgo. Evidently the people have spoken and prefer
>Google.

It's not the people's job to judge if it's a monopoly or not.
In fact, if the monopoly controls access to information, like Google
does, the people can be deceived into thinking it's a GOOD thing.
It's why every (decent) government has anti-monopoly laws.

rbowman

Mar 23, 2019, 4:34:08 PM3/23/19
On 03/23/2019 01:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> There is Bing, Duckduckgo. Evidently the people have spoken and prefer
> Google.

DuckDuckGo is a compilation of a number of sources but often returns
Bing results. It's more than the search engine. news.google.com left to
its own devices leans left although you can customize the news sources
if you're logged into your google account. Then there a google maps and
gmail. Business locations don't appear on google maps magically.

Then there is the Chrome OS and the Chrome browser. Microsoft has just
released an Edge update based on Chrome after trying and failing to
build a working browser.

Then there is Android, which Google bought in 2005. They also made that
work unlike the late, unlamented Windows phone.

Unless you live in the outer fringes of space Google street view
probably has an excellent shot of your front door. They're even
developed man portable versions of the roaming spy cameras to document
back country trails.

Some of the ventures, like Google+, have failed but they keep trying.

Rod Speed

Mar 23, 2019, 6:19:51 PM3/23/19

"Shadow" <S...@dow.br> wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2019 15:13:08 -0400, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.xxx> wrote:
>
>>> That is basically the problem. They are a private concern but
>>> increasing public scrutiny could cause them to be regulated like a
>>> monopoly.
>>
>>There is Bing, Duckduckgo. Evidently the people have spoken and prefer
>>Google.
>
> It's not the people's job to judge if it's a monopoly or not.
> In fact, if the monopoly controls access to information, like Google
> does, the people can be deceived into thinking it's a GOOD thing.
> It's why every (decent) government has anti-monopoly laws.

But there is no monopoly in this case.

Rod Speed

Mar 23, 2019, 6:23:40 PM3/23/19

"rbowman" <bow...@montana.com> wrote in message
> On 03/23/2019 01:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> There is Bing, Duckduckgo. Evidently the people have spoken and prefer
>> Google.
>
> DuckDuckGo is a compilation of a number of sources but often returns Bing
> results. It's more than the search engine. news.google.com left to its own
> devices leans left although you can customize the news sources if you're
> logged into your google account. Then there a google maps and gmail.
> Business locations don't appear on google maps magically.
>
> Then there is the Chrome OS and the Chrome browser. Microsoft has just
> released an Edge update based on Chrome after trying and failing to build
> a working browser.
>
> Then there is Android, which Google bought in 2005. They also made that
> work unlike the late, unlamented Windows phone.
>
> Unless you live in the outer fringes of space Google street view probably
> has an excellent shot of your front door.

Street view has no image of my front door at all and even the entire
town street view is 10 years old now. And I'm still here on earth.

> They're even developed man portable versions of the roaming spy cameras to
> document back country trails.

They don’t do that here either.

Frank

Mar 23, 2019, 7:09:45 PM3/23/19
I'm not sure the comparison is comparable. In Citizen's United it was
about political spending for candidates. In the case of Google it is
covert censorship of their customers.

Grumpy Old White Guy

Mar 23, 2019, 7:18:41 PM3/23/19
On 3/23/2019 4:35 PM, rbowman wrote:
> It's more than the search engine. news.google.com left to its own devices leans left although you can customize the news sources if you're logged into your google account.

Thanks, I didn't know it was possible to remove the DNC's anti-Trump propaganda news sites.  Just two clicks and CNN is gone from news.google.com .

--
Get off my lawn!

Peeler

Mar 23, 2019, 7:35:23 PM3/23/19
On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 09:19:39 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

>> It's not the people's job to judge if it's a monopoly or not.
>> In fact, if the monopoly controls access to information, like Google
>> does, the people can be deceived into thinking it's a GOOD thing.
>> It's why every (decent) government has anti-monopoly laws.
>
> But there is no monopoly in this case.

Of course, there is, you idiotic driveling senile nutcase!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Peeler

Mar 23, 2019, 7:37:48 PM3/23/19
On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 09:23:28 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

>> Unless you live in the outer fringes of space Google street view probably
>> has an excellent shot of your front door.
>
> Street view has no image of my front door at all and even the entire
> town street view is 10 years old now. And I'm still here on earth.

Not for much longer, you fucked up 85-year-old senile pest! LOL

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder

Roger Blake

Mar 23, 2019, 9:35:38 PM3/23/19
On 2019-03-23, Shadow <S...@dow.br> wrote:
> Some good news at last. TY. Google trying to undo the damage

This is obviously some strange new definition of the term "good news"
that we were previously unfamiliar with. Helping Communists get
elected is not "good news." It is imperative that the Communists
not be permitted to gain any more power if the U.S. is to survive
in any recognizable form. Republicans are useless assholes but I'll
take them over the commies any day of the week.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org

angelica...@yahoo.com

Mar 24, 2019, 7:58:48 AM3/24/19
On Saturday, March 23, 2019 at 4:34:08 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

> Unless you live in the outer fringes of space Google street view
> probably has an excellent shot of your front door.

I just checked. The picture of my address on Google street view is
old enough that the overgrown shrubs all along the front of the
property are still there.

Take that, Google!

Cindy Hamilton

angelica...@yahoo.com

Mar 24, 2019, 8:00:04 AM3/24/19
Their customers are advertisers. I'm sure they're faithful to those
who give them money. Joe Average looking for information? Not so much.

Cindy Hamilton

Home Guy

Mar 24, 2019, 9:10:16 AM3/24/19
Leftist and SJW Cindy Hamilton (aka angelicapaganelli @ yahoo.com) wrote:

> Their customers are advertisers. I'm sure they're faithful to those
> who give them money.

That doesn't explain the advertising money being rejected and
de-platforming and other restrictions that youtube is putting on
conservatives like Prager University. They are interfering with their
own business model just to keep conservative points of view off their
platforms.

Twitter recently stopped taking ad money from Prager University, for
example.

angelica...@yahoo.com

Mar 24, 2019, 9:16:30 AM3/24/19
Perhaps Prager University and other conservatives should start their own
streaming platforms, social networks, and search engines.

Youtube and Twitter are private companies. They are entitled to
run their businesses however they please. Or don't you like capitalism?

Cindy Hamilton

Home Guy

Mar 24, 2019, 9:19:29 AM3/24/19
I wrote:

> That doesn't explain the advertising money being rejected and
> de-platforming and other restrictions that youtube is putting on
> conservatives like Prager University. They are interfering with their
> own business model just to keep conservative points of view off their
> platforms.
>
> Twitter recently stopped taking ad money from Prager University, for
> example.

I forgot to mention that banks (like Chase Bank) are sending letters to
conservatives and conservative organizations, telling them they have a
month or two to close their account, not giving them any reason why they
don't want their business.

How does a leftist like Cindy Hamilton explain how banks turn away or
decline lawful business with certain people and groups? Who a group or
a person or a group does banking with is not exactly visible from a PR
point of view so there is no obvious negative optics there as an excuse.

As part of obtaining a charter to operate a bank, it should be illegal
for a bank to decline an account or lawful business from any member of
the public. That's the "price" you should have to pay as a chartered
bank, as an entity that is back-stopped financially and regulated by all
manner of gov't measures and facilities, so that you can't arbitrarily
decline to operate accounts by anyone or any group who asks for one.
Your involvement with the public is the handling of their money, not
their or your politics.

angelica...@yahoo.com

Mar 24, 2019, 9:56:23 AM3/24/19
On Sunday, March 24, 2019 at 9:19:29 AM UTC-4, Home Guy wrote:
> I wrote:
>
> > That doesn't explain the advertising money being rejected and
> > de-platforming and other restrictions that youtube is putting on
> > conservatives like Prager University. They are interfering with their
> > own business model just to keep conservative points of view off their
> > platforms.
> >
> > Twitter recently stopped taking ad money from Prager University, for
> > example.
>
> I forgot to mention that banks (like Chase Bank) are sending letters to
> conservatives and conservative organizations, telling them they have a
> month or two to close their account, not giving them any reason why they
> don't want their business.

Read the terms and conditions for accounts at Chase Bank.

Joe Biggs (and the others) can use a different bank. Chase isn't the
only bank in the country.

> How does a leftist like Cindy Hamilton explain how banks turn away or
> decline lawful business with certain people and groups? Who a group or
> a person or a group does banking with is not exactly visible from a PR
> point of view so there is no obvious negative optics there as an excuse.
>
> As part of obtaining a charter to operate a bank, it should be illegal
> for a bank to decline an account or lawful business from any member of
> the public. That's the "price" you should have to pay as a chartered
> bank, as an entity that is back-stopped financially and regulated by all
> manner of gov't measures and facilities, so that you can't arbitrarily
> decline to operate accounts by anyone or any group who asks for one.
> Your involvement with the public is the handling of their money, not
> their or your politics.

"Should be"? Well, that's another matter. Chase acted within current
applicable laws.

Epic fail on your part.

Cindy Hamilton

Home Guy

Mar 24, 2019, 10:15:38 AM3/24/19
Leftist and SJW Cindy Hamilton (aka angelicapaganelli @ yahoo.com) wrote:

>> As part of obtaining a charter to operate a bank, it should be
>> illegal for a bank to decline an account or lawful business
>> from any member of the public.
>
> "Should be"? Well, that's another matter. Chase acted within current
> applicable laws.

Would you support such a change in the law?

Or will you be evasive and a complete intellectual coward by not giving
a straight answer to that question?

angelica...@yahoo.com

Mar 24, 2019, 11:02:31 AM3/24/19
I have mixed feelings on the subject, as I do on the "gay wedding cake"
issue.

On the one hand, people (and corporations) are free to be assholes.

On the other hand, that got us a permanent underclass, which is
undesirable.

I suppose you're going to accuse me of not having the courage of my
convictions now. But it's not a simple on/off issue with a simple
solution.

Cindy Hamilton

Shadow

Mar 24, 2019, 11:14:36 AM3/24/19
On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 09:19:16 -0400, Home Guy <Ho...@Guy.C0M> wrote:

>I forgot to mention that banks (like Chase Bank) are sending letters to
>conservatives and conservative organizations, telling them they have a
>month or two to close their account, not giving them any reason why they
>don't want their business.

I'm afraid I have no idea. You gave no names to the "law
abiding" conservative entities.
They could be criminal organizations ...... racist/hate
groups, drug smugglers, war criminals, slave mongers, pedophiles....
I don't think ANYONE wants to do business with criminals,
unless they are criminals themselves. It tends to spoil the bank's
so-so reputation.

Frank

Mar 24, 2019, 12:15:22 PM3/24/19
Mine looks at least 4 years old. Could be longer. Next door neighbor
looks like before he moved which was before the last neighbor that was
there about 3 years moved. That's three different neighbors in the same
house over 4+ years.

rbowman

Mar 24, 2019, 12:57:52 PM3/24/19
I don't know if they ever revisit an area. Even satellite imagery is
only refreshed in urban areas where changed are expected.

Our sales people use one of our Michigan sites for their demos and have
done so for years. On our newer map products weather information from
NOAA can be overlaid on the base image. There wasn't any local weather
so the sales guy zoomed out to find some. At that zoom level a
rectangular area around town was a little darker than the surrounding
countryside.

So when he got back he asked if I was overlaying a boundary and if I
could fix it. Zooming it and tracing the sides of the apparent rectangle
showed fields on one side freshly plowed, trees with leaves, etc.
Whoever updated the composite sat images didn't think Michigan farmland
needed a refresh.

You can see the same effect in many places where a town is surrounded by
rural land.

There is a company, Pictometry, that sells oblique imagery so you can
pan around a structure and either get a straight down view or a 45
degree view from the north, east, south, and west. They have a fleet of
Cessnas that fly grids to produce the images. Their data doesn't come cheap.

The last I knew Google had over 150 people working on their map product.
OSM is sort of a Wikipedia from maps but the quality is variable. It's
better in Europe where people on bicycles gather data for almost
everything. HERE, a Nokia subsidiary, is another big player, as is Tom
Tom in Europe. Mapping has become a hot area and Google is into it with
both feet. It's not a game a small start up can easily penetrate.

Shadow

Mar 24, 2019, 1:02:38 PM3/24/19
On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 10:15:24 -0400, Home Guy <Ho...@Guy.C0M> wrote:

>Leftist and SJW Cindy Hamilton (aka angelicapaganelli @ yahoo.com) wrote:
>
>>> As part of obtaining a charter to operate a bank, it should be
> >> illegal for a bank to decline an account or lawful business
> >> from any member of the public.
>>
>> "Should be"? Well, that's another matter. Chase acted within current
>> applicable laws.
>
>Would you support such a change in the law?

Not if it forced banks to accept criminals as customers.

>Or will you be evasive and a complete intellectual coward by not giving
>a straight answer to that question?

Huh ? You still haven't given names of the possibly criminal
organizations and individuals that they no longer want to do business
with. As long as you continue to cower, it's an "and if ...."
question.

gfre...@aol.com

Mar 24, 2019, 1:22:22 PM3/24/19
On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 04:58:45 -0700 (PDT), angelica...@yahoo.com
wrote:
Google has 2 pictures of my father in law, one in front of his house
and one in front of mine. They think he really gets around and he
thinks they are stalking him.

gfre...@aol.com

Mar 24, 2019, 1:27:56 PM3/24/19
On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 05:00:00 -0700 (PDT), angelica...@yahoo.com
wrote:
There used to be a service called Scroogle, not to be confused with
the porn site. They had software that got in under the ads and things
Google was pushing, taking the raw search right from their search
engine. It was nice while it lasted. These days they push certain
things to the top, either because of their political bias or because
they are getting paid to. That is why you get the Amazon ad and the
Ebay ad whenever you look for something. It is less blatant now but
you still see it. Sometime I just start on page 2 if I am not planning
to buy something.

rbowman

Mar 24, 2019, 1:34:30 PM3/24/19
I sometimes wonder about the economics but then traditional newspapers
always made their nut from advertising. I can't remember if I've ever
followed an ad from a news site or other general interest site.

A Google search for a specific product might have more effect if a
merchant has managed to get a place at the top of the results.

otoh special interest sites strike me as better bang for the buck. Go to
https://www.makesauerkraut.com/ and the odds of winding up on Amazon
buying a Benrina mandolin are significantly higher. A distant relative
who has a crock pot cooking site surprised me with the amount she gets
from Amazon clicks. (woman can't cook for shit but that doesn't count)

rbowman

Mar 24, 2019, 1:53:13 PM3/24/19
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gab_(social_network)

The level of vitriol shows what happens when the people editing
Wikipedia are overwhelmingly left wing. Wikipedia is good for
information grounded in reality but falls apart if there is any
political or religious discord. Sort of like a family Christmas dinner.

"The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) reported on January 24, 2019
that Gab has misrepresented its services and bloated its user count in
its filings and promotional materials. "

Ah, the SPLC seal of approval... Perhaps they should look closer to
home. Morris Dees, a co-founder, was recently fired while Cohen, the
president, and Brownstein, the legal director, resigned over allegations
of racism, sexism, and sexual harassment. Seems the troops figured out
it was a cash cow for rich, white folks. Of course with the recent suits
for defamation and RICO activities the cow may be going dry.

Ed Pawlowski

Mar 24, 2019, 2:30:16 PM3/24/19
I also have to wonder, if Joe Average is unable to sort through the
information provided, is he smart enough to vote anyway? No wonder some
of these politicians get elected.

Shadow

Mar 24, 2019, 2:59:50 PM3/24/19
On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 11:54:55 -0600, rbowman <bow...@montana.com>
wrote:

>The level of vitriol shows what happens when the people editing
>Wikipedia are overwhelmingly left wing. Wikipedia is good for
>information grounded in reality

ANYONE can edit Wikipedia. I've done it on numerous occasions.
Oh, I see. You mean people that can't write a coherent phrase
are NOT editing it ?
That's discriminating against morons !!!!!
Call #FAUX_NEWS !!!!! Defend your "writes" !!!!

Rod Speed

Mar 24, 2019, 3:26:19 PM3/24/19

"Frank" <"frank "@frank.net> wrote in message
> On 3/24/2019 7:58 AM, angelica...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> On Saturday, March 23, 2019 at 4:34:08 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
>>

>>> Unless you live in the outer fringes of space Google street view
>>> probably has an excellent shot of your front door.
>>
>> I just checked. The picture of my address on Google street view is
>> old enough that the overgrown shrubs all along the front of the
>> property are still there.
>>
>> Take that, Google!

> Mine looks at least 4 years old. Could be longer.

Its dated when you use a browser to view it.

> Next door neighbor looks like before he moved which was before the last
> neighbor that was there about 3 years moved. That's three different
> neighbors in the same house over 4+ years.

That's because you're next to them.

Rod Speed

Mar 24, 2019, 3:35:00 PM3/24/19

> On 03/24/2019 05:58 AM, angelica...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> On Saturday, March 23, 2019 at 4:34:08 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
>>

>>> Unless you live in the outer fringes of space Google street view
>>> probably has an excellent shot of your front door.
>>
>> I just checked. The picture of my address on Google street view is
>> old enough that the overgrown shrubs all along the front of the
>> property are still there.
>>
>> Take that, Google!
>
> I don't know if they ever revisit an area.

Yes they do. I actually saw the car 18 months ago but was late
for an appointment so I couldn’t follow it and watch it in action.
For some reason that footage never showed up on google maps.

You can see the date when you look at it in a browser and
can look at older street views too.

> Even satellite imagery is only refreshed in urban areas where changed are
> expected.

That’s bullshit.

> Our sales people use one of our Michigan sites for their demos and have
> done so for years. On our newer map products weather information from NOAA
> can be overlaid on the base image. There wasn't any local weather so the
> sales guy zoomed out to find some. At that zoom level a rectangular area
> around town was a little darker than the surrounding countryside.

> So when he got back he asked if I was overlaying a boundary and if I could
> fix it. Zooming it and tracing the sides of the apparent rectangle showed
> fields on one side freshly plowed, trees with leaves, etc. Whoever updated
> the composite sat images didn't think Michigan farmland needed a refresh.

> You can see the same effect in many places where a town is surrounded by
> rural land.

> There is a company, Pictometry, that sells oblique imagery so you can pan
> around a structure and either get a straight down view or a 45 degree view
> from the north, east, south, and west. They have a fleet of Cessnas that
> fly grids to produce the images. Their data doesn't come cheap.

> The last I knew Google had over 150 people working on their map product.
> OSM is sort of a Wikipedia from maps but the quality is variable. It's
> better in Europe where people on bicycles gather data for almost
> everything. HERE, a Nokia subsidiary, is another big player, as is Tom Tom
> in Europe. Mapping has become a hot area and Google is into it with both
> feet. It's not a game a small start up can easily penetrate.

Apple is doing their own now too. Not clear how far they have got.

Rod Speed

Mar 24, 2019, 3:35:01 PM3/24/19

<gfre...@aol.com> wrote in message
I don't and I am amazed at how often the one I want is the first hit
after the ads too. I'm usually checking for the name of an individual
with say a murder or a roman catholic priest caught and jailed etc

Jac Brown

Mar 24, 2019, 3:37:54 PM3/24/19

"rbowman" <bow...@montana.com> wrote in message
How much roughly ?

Ralph Mowery

Mar 24, 2019, 5:32:49 PM3/24/19
In article <U0QlE.45868$e54....@fx09.iad>, e...@snet.xxx says...

> I also have to wonder, if Joe Average is unable to sort through the
> information provided, is he smart enough to vote anyway? No wonder some
> of these politicians get elected.

Seems that if social media can influence the elections, there are many
gulliable people.

From what I have seen , looks like many of the Joe Average are hardley
smart enough to get out of bed,let alone vote.

I do have to admit that for some that are running in the local elections
for such things as school board I do not check them out or know
anything about them.

Now the likes of AOC and NP want to give the vote to the 16 year olds
and even the illegal aliens. Might as well as there have been many dead
people voting for years. Then this country can really become one of the
crappy nations of the world. Just glad that I am old enough that I will
probably be gone by the time this progresses that far.

gfre...@aol.com

Mar 24, 2019, 5:57:06 PM3/24/19
That is because Ebay and Amazon do not accept ads from murderers or
perverted priests. Try looking for information about something they do
sell.

Peeler

Mar 24, 2019, 6:17:33 PM3/24/19
On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 06:26:02 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

>> Mine looks at least 4 years old. Could be longer.
>
> Its dated when you use a browser to view it.

Nothing could be as dated as you are, you 85-year-old, senile trolling pest!

>> Next door neighbor looks like before he moved which was before the last
>> neighbor that was there about 3 years moved. That's three different
>> neighbors in the same house over 4+ years.
>
> That's because you're next to them.

Stop projecting, you obnoxious abnormal senile swine!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
MID: <ev1p6ml7ywd5$.d...@sqwertz.com>

Peeler

Mar 24, 2019, 6:18:46 PM3/24/19
On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 06:31:47 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

<FLUSH senile idiot's inevitable trollshit>

...and much better air in here.

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
we shippe the likes of you out of the British Isles. Perhaps stupidity
and criminality is inherited after all?"

Peeler

Mar 24, 2019, 6:22:28 PM3/24/19
On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 06:34:42 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

> I don't and I am amazed at how often the one I want is the first hit
> after the ads too. I'm usually checking for the name of an individual
> with say a murder or a roman catholic priest caught and jailed etc

We know already, you are a fervent adorer of ALL disgusting and criminal
monopolists, like Google, M$, Apple, Amazon, etc. They provide you with the
gadgets and toys that you need to make your abnormal lonely senile "life"
more bearable for you, you brainless, godless, senile consumer!

--
dennis@home to retarded senile Rot:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."

Peeler

Mar 24, 2019, 6:26:05 PM3/24/19
On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 06:37:38 +1100, Jac Brown, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

> How much roughly ?

Afraid you might be in his killfile, you abnormal, nym-shifting,
85-year-old, senile bastard?

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:

Rod Speed

Mar 24, 2019, 7:15:12 PM3/24/19

<gfre...@aol.com> wrote in message
Don't get that result with stuff they do sell and just did that again this
morning.

Peeler

Mar 24, 2019, 7:49:40 PM3/24/19
On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 10:07:49 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

>> That is because Ebay and Amazon do not accept ads from murderers or
>> perverted priests. Try looking for information about something they do
>> sell.
>
> Don't get that result with stuff they do sell and just did that again this
> morning.

You wouldn't even notice it, you brainless ads-addicted consuming senile
asshole.

ChairMan

Mar 24, 2019, 8:30:32 PM3/24/19
Half the people don't know the difference between BETO and
Robert Francis O'Rouke

gfre...@aol.com

Mar 24, 2019, 9:38:57 PM3/24/19
On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 10:07:49 +1100, "Rod Speed"
Yeah, we know, you are special.

rbowman

Mar 24, 2019, 9:52:12 PM3/24/19
She wasn't specific but iirc it was several hundred dollars a month and
that was 20 years ago when she was mostly blogging. I see she's written
several books since:

https://stephanieodea.com/store/#slowcookers

Some people at work used to do a crockpot lunch on Friday's and when I
saw they'd bought her book I thought 'Oh shit!'. That was the consensus
on the finished product.

rbowman

Mar 24, 2019, 10:05:16 PM3/24/19
On 03/24/2019 12:58 PM, Shadow wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 11:54:55 -0600, rbowman <bow...@montana.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The level of vitriol shows what happens when the people editing
>> Wikipedia are overwhelmingly left wing. Wikipedia is good for
>> information grounded in reality
>
> ANYONE can edit Wikipedia. I've done it on numerous occasions.
> Oh, I see. You mean people that can't write a coherent phrase
> are NOT editing it ?
> That's discriminating against morons !!!!!
> Call #FAUX_NEWS !!!!! Defend your "writes" !!!!
> []'s

Plenty of morons slip through. It's long gone but a line was added to
the page on Candace Owens:

Owens anit-immigrant and neo-nazi views inspired a terrorist killing of
innocent Muslims that is heavily condemned by the World Leaders [64] and
the New Zealand Prime Minister calling it the darkest day in New
Zealand's history.[65]

It took some anonymous asshole going by Kizar three edits to get the
spelling and grammar right -- and then someone undid his hard work.

Note: I'm not a Candace Owens fan and I'm not sure how she inspired the
shooter. Some of his statements seemed more like trolling.

rbowman

Mar 24, 2019, 10:11:22 PM3/24/19
On 03/24/2019 12:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I also have to wonder, if Joe Average is unable to sort through the
> information provided, is he smart enough to vote anyway? No wonder some
> of these politicians get elected.

Joe Average, by definition, isn't particularly smart. He's in better
shape than those trailing off the left side of the bell curve but
critical thinking isn't his thing.

That's not to say everyone on the right side of the curve should be
voting. I'm not too bright but I have just enough intelligence to ask
myself why I even bother checking the box for either Heckle or Jeckle.

rbowman

Mar 24, 2019, 10:13:59 PM3/24/19
On 03/24/2019 03:32 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> I do have to admit that for some that are running in the local elections
> for such things as school board I do not check them out or know
> anything about them.

I've often seen advice to run for the school board as a good way to
enter politics. Personally I don't have a clue who is on the school
board or what they do.

rbowman

Mar 24, 2019, 10:14:51 PM3/24/19
Including Beto...

Rod Speed

Mar 24, 2019, 10:22:12 PM3/24/19

<gfre...@aol.com> wrote in message
You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Jac Brown

Mar 24, 2019, 10:26:07 PM3/24/19

"rbowman" <bow...@montana.com> wrote in message
Thanks for that. I am about to try some crockpot
cooking myself and it would be good to avoid hers.

gfre...@aol.com

Mar 24, 2019, 10:43:06 PM3/24/19
On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 13:22:02 +1100, "Rod Speed"
You on the other hand are a heavyweight bullshitter who demonstrates
your particular prowess at it every day.

Rod Speed

Mar 25, 2019, 1:12:37 AM3/25/19

<gfre...@aol.com> wrote in message

Peeler

Mar 25, 2019, 5:14:07 AM3/25/19
On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 13:22:02 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

>> Yeah, we know, you are special.
>
> You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

He was really being very kind as he avoided saying that you are a
psychopathic asshole, senile Rot!

Peeler

Mar 25, 2019, 5:17:33 AM3/25/19
On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 13:25:56 +1100, Jac Brown, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

> Thanks for that. I am about to try some crockpot
> cooking myself and it would be good to avoid hers.

Yeah, do that senile crackpot!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."

Peeler

Mar 25, 2019, 5:31:55 AM3/25/19
On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 16:12:26 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

>> You on the other hand are a heavyweight bullshitter who demonstrates
>> your particular prowess at it every day.
>
> You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

You certainly KEEP bullshitting your way into your grave, senile psychopath!

rbowman

Mar 25, 2019, 9:47:37 AM3/25/19
On 03/24/2019 08:25 PM, Jac Brown wrote:
> Thanks for that. I am about to try some crockpot
> cooking myself and it would be good to avoid hers.

https://www.ayearofslowcooking.com/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html

There's got to be a good one someplace in there. Most are pretty bland
but that's common to crockpot cooking. Some are just weird like making a
little grill out of aluminum foil to cook preformed hamburger patties.

Take the recommendation by hubbie and the kids with a grain of salt.
They are enthusiastic about seeing hot food on the table.

Jac Brown

Mar 25, 2019, 2:45:46 PM3/25/19

> On 03/24/2019 08:25 PM, Jac Brown wrote:
>> Thanks for that. I am about to try some crockpot
>> cooking myself and it would be good to avoid hers.

> https://www.ayearofslowcooking.com/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html

Thanks for that.

> There's got to be a good one someplace in there. Most are pretty bland but
> that's common to crockpot cooking.

I fix that by chucking in quite a bit of chilli flakes.

> Some are just weird like making a little grill out of aluminum foil to
> cook preformed hamburger patties.

Yeah, that’s a bit weird. I've got lots of the thin end of
legs of lamb in the freezer. Legs of lamb are my favourite
roast and ours come from the supermarket with the thin
end, included which I cut off and put in the freezer.

Peeler

Mar 25, 2019, 4:41:23 PM3/25/19
On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 05:38:33 +1100, Jac Brown, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

> Yeah, that’s a bit weird. I've got lots of the thin end of
> legs of lamb in the freezer. Legs of lamb are my favourite
> roast and ours come from the supermarket with the thin
> end, included which I cut off and put in the freezer.

What has all that senile drivel got to do with ahr, you obnoxious, dying,
85-year-old, senile pest?

--
MrTu...@down.the.farm about senile Rot Speed:
MID: <ps10v9$uo2$1...@gioia.aioe.org>

rbowman

Mar 25, 2019, 9:36:04 PM3/25/19
On 03/25/2019 12:38 PM, Jac Brown wrote:
> I fix that by chucking in quite a bit of chilli flakes.

I've got a pound of gochugaru, the Korean red pepper flakes used when
you're making kimchi. It will spice things up and has a nice flavor,
sort of like paprika. There is more to paprika than that more or less
tasteless stuff you sprinkle on deviled eggs but it's hard to find.

> Yeah, that’s a bit weird. I've got lots of the thin end of
> legs of lamb in the freezer. Legs of lamb are my favourite
> roast and ours come from the supermarket with the thin
> end, included which I cut off and put in the freezer.

Ooh, ooh, lamb shanks!

https://www.thedeliciouscrescent.com/braised-lamb-shanks/

https://therecipecritic.com/slow-cooker-greek-lamb-shanks/

There are also variants that are like osso buco with lamb instead of
veal but all the wine and tomatoes kill the taste of lamb for me.

I'm jealous. I haven't seen lamb shanks in ages. Most of what is in the
markets around here is boned leg of lamb from New Zealand. To add insult
to injury there is a bunch of sheep down the road about 4 miles. They're
wool sheep but I imagine the young ones would cook up just fine.

angelica...@yahoo.com

Mar 26, 2019, 6:22:50 AM3/26/19
On Monday, March 25, 2019 at 9:36:04 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
> On 03/25/2019 12:38 PM, Jac Brown wrote:
> > I fix that by chucking in quite a bit of chilli flakes.
>
> I've got a pound of gochugaru, the Korean red pepper flakes used when
> you're making kimchi. It will spice things up and has a nice flavor,
> sort of like paprika. There is more to paprika than that more or less
> tasteless stuff you sprinkle on deviled eggs but it's hard to find.

I generally sprinkle cayenne on deviled eggs.

Cindy Hamilton