Fireplace screen lubrication

Not@home

Dec 21, 2009, 5:58:08 PM12/21/09
I have a metal link screen suspended by metal rings from a steel rod
right in the front of my fireplace opening. Over the years, it has
become harder and harder to open and close the screen, although I can't
see any rust. If this wasn't a working fireplace, I would just
lubricate it, but most of the lubricants I have are shown as very
flammable on the label. The only exception is some ancient high
temperature grease that is so old there are no warnings on the label,
not even about causing cancer in California.

Should is risk it? It wouldn't actually be in contact with the flames,
but about a foot away. Or is there some other lubricant that would be
better suited? Hate to burn down my house experimenting.

Mark

Dec 21, 2009, 6:11:48 PM12/21/09
Try a graphite based product. I don't think they are flammable and probably
won't dry out as fast in the heat.

"Not@home" <N...@home.net> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Dec 21, 2009, 6:47:42 PM12/21/09
Powdered graphite might do the trick.

Kano labs had some high temperature spray, but it's been
ages since I've seen that. You could sand the rod with emery
cloth, or steel wool. Might help.

Please let us know what turns out to work. My parents have a
fireplace screen. Same deal. Gets hard to open or close.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

hr(bob) hofmann@att.net

Dec 21, 2009, 10:24:28 PM12/21/09
On Dec 21, 5:47 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Spray it on when there is no fire in the fireplace, move the wire
screen back and forth several times, wait 24 hours before lighting the
fireplace. The flamability is most likely the propellant for the
spray so once it evaporates, you should be aok.

terry

Dec 21, 2009, 10:46:43 PM12/21/09
On Dec 22, 12:24 am, "hr(bob) hofm...@att.net" <hrhofm...@att.net>
wrote:
> spray so once it evaporates, you should be aok.- Hide quoted text -

Suggestion. Heat rusted rings hanging the metal mesh curtain?
Try replacing rings with, say, some stainless ones?

Stormin Mormon

Dec 22, 2009, 7:46:20 AM12/22/09
Which "it" do you reccomend? Silicone? WD?

Like you say, spray it between fires. My thought is that the
.000001 ounces of liquid you would spray on, won't hurt
anything. 24 hours is perhaps over cautious.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"hr(bob) hof...@att.net" <hrho...@att.net> wrote in
message

HeyBub

Dec 22, 2009, 8:02:23 AM12/22/09

Try a few drops of motor oil. The temperature inside your engine's cylinder
has got to be hotter than a fireplace.

ransley

Dec 22, 2009, 8:31:00 AM12/22/09

Try sanding the top of the rod with coarse sandpaper, no lube will
hold up except maybe graphite but if it moved before its just oxidised
and sanding should help alot. If its the rings a quick going over with
a round file where it touched the rod would help

ransley

Dec 22, 2009, 8:32:31 AM12/22/09

10w30, straight weight non detergent, synthetic?

Joe

Dec 22, 2009, 1:32:11 PM12/22/09
On Dec 21, 4:58 pm, "Not@home" <N...@home.net> wrote:

Pay a visit to Manny, Moe, and Jack. (Pep Boys, or similar). Buy a
tube of silicone spark plug boot release. Lube critical parts. Problem
solved. No hazardous sprays, no waiting for cure, low cost. After all,
if it works on the center spark plugs of your 350 Chevy, it will
easily shrug off the more modest fireplace heat.

Joe

HeyBub

Dec 22, 2009, 5:22:12 PM12/22/09
ransley wrote:

>> Try a few drops of motor oil. The temperature inside your engine's
>> cylinder has got to be hotter than a fireplace.
>
> 10w30, straight weight non detergent, synthetic?

I'd mix half-and-half 10w30 and 10w40 to get 10w35. Should be about right.

Stormin Mormon

Dec 22, 2009, 5:26:03 PM12/22/09
That: > 10w30, straight weight non detergent, synthetic?
ought to be on the Ransley hall of fame.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" <hey...@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message

The Daring Dufas

Dec 23, 2009, 3:40:54 AM12/23/09

This is what I use for a lot of things where I want the lube to
stick around in extreme conditions. I've been using it on all
sorts of things and found that those items don't need as much
attention anymore. It's rated for 300�F minimum. The national
chain auto parts stores carry it.

http://tinyurl.com/ydde4l8

TDD

Not@home

Dec 22, 2009, 3:03:05 PM12/22/09
Thanks for the input. I put some powdered graphite on and it worked
quite well.

ransley

Dec 25, 2009, 7:35:14 PM12/25/09
On Dec 22, 4:26 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Only you could miss the joke.

Stormin Mormon

Dec 26, 2009, 8:37:37 AM12/26/09
I'm so pleased that worked. Will have to remember that for
future moments. Thank you for sharing what worked. Others,
readers and lurkers, may have benefitted.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Not@home" <N...@home.net> wrote in message

Twayne

Dec 26, 2009, 2:45:38 PM12/26/09
In news:hh53kl$37m$1...@news.eternal-september.org,
Stormin Mormon <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> typed:

> I'm so pleased that worked. Will have to remember that for
> future moments. Thank you for sharing what worked. Others,
> readers and lurkers, may have benefitted.

Escept there's no description of the original problem, it might. There's no
hint at what the OP may have asked about.

> Stormin Mormon wrote:
>> Powdered graphite might do the trick.
>>
>> Kano labs had some high temperature spray, but it's been
>> ages since I've seen that. You could sand the rod with
>> emery
>> cloth, or steel wool. Might help.
>>
>> Please let us know what turns out to work. My parents have
>> fireplace screen. Same deal. Gets hard to open or close.

We've already reached
tomorrow's yesterday
but we're still far away from
yesterday's tomorrow.

Feb 25, 2022, 3:45:14 PM2/25/22
I have tried a lot of things - WD-40, 3-in-1 oil, other oils. Here is what works, because those do not:

1. Rub the rod with steel wool to remove crud. It took me a minute. Doesn’t have to be completely clean.
2. Put some SILICONE GREASE on a paper towel and rub it on the rod. Takes 30 seconds. Doesn’t have to be a whole lot.

I used Danco Silicone grease. It has lasted weeks now with almost daily use of fireplace.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/fireplace-screen-lubrication-413969-.htm