Springs for hanging curtains

Darrel

Aug 10, 2006, 8:03:05 PM8/10/06
Years ago it was possible to hang curtains on springs. I'm not
talking about a rod with a spring inside it, but a stretchable
tightly-coiled spring that was screwed into a wall using an eye at each
end.

Anyone know where to buy such springs?

Colbyt

Aug 10, 2006, 8:53:56 PM8/10/06

"Darrel" <Darre...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I have been installing them for 20 years come this October. Never seen
exactly what you mentioned.

I do think it would be possible. Find a spring, as in screen door spring,
that is about 2" less than the inside dimension of the place you want to
hang them. Two inches of stretch should give you enough tension to keep the
spring level.

The alternative is to use CTM 9/16 oval rodding or 3/8 round steel rodding
with spring pressure sockets on the end. You won't find either of these at
the BORG.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

dkhedmo

Aug 10, 2006, 9:45:02 PM8/10/06

I've seen this a few times on different shows on HGTV lately. I think
they were calling it "curtain wire" or something like that. On one show
there was special hardware for attaching it to the wall and tightening
it up a bit so it didn't sag. One situation they used it in was where
there were windows on both sides of a corner on the perpendicular walls,
and there was an eye bracket the wire went through at the corner - made
the whole window hardware situation much simpler than it might be with
standard products.

-Karen-

lee houston

Aug 10, 2006, 9:59:59 PM8/10/06

Yes, they were quite common. Often used on doors.
mebbe like this?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=132173-73-132173&lpage=none

lee

cranky

Aug 10, 2006, 10:44:45 PM8/10/06
It may not be pretty ,but I have used bungee cords, this way

Percival P. Cassidy

Aug 11, 2006, 8:29:17 AM8/11/06

I remember things of this kind from UK many decades ago, but I don't
recall whether I've ever seen them anywhere else. It seemed to me that
they always sagged at least slightly except with the flimsiest of curtains.

Perce

Darrel

Aug 11, 2006, 8:50:29 AM8/11/06
Perhaps that's why I'm having trouble, Perce. Probably used them in the
UK and am now looking for them in the US.

Darrel

Aug 11, 2006, 9:06:15 AM8/11/06
Sems I'm having trouble describing what I'm looking for. The "rod"
itself is nothing but a tightly coiled spring (about 5 or 6 mm diam.).
Cut the desired length and screw an eye bolt inside each end of the
spring. Fasten the spring to the wall with a screw through each eye
bolt, stretching it a little to keep it tight. Imagine using it to hang
a curtain over the rear window of a van. Something strictly cheap and
functional. Would only be used for light curtains.

marad...@unlisted.com

Aug 11, 2006, 5:38:01 PM8/11/06
On 10 Aug 2006 17:03:05 -0700, "Darrel" <Darre...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Why would you want to use springs? Seems to me it would be hard to
get them thru the cloth. If you dont want to use the commercial rods,
just use a piece of 1/4" steel rod and 2 eye hooks. Or 1/4" or 3/8"
wooden dowel. Thats all I use. I dont fuss with all those fancy and
costly curtain rods, hooks and stuff. On some windows I got some
commercial rods that are just a 3/8" hollow steel rod that expands.
They work fine too, and have some nicer brackets. As long as I dont
have to fuss with all those hooks and other nonsense, I'm happy. This
beats what I did when I was younger and would just nail the curtains
into the top of the woodwork where it meets the wall, using some small
nails !!! (Women seem to get offended by this) :)

Mark

Colbyt

Aug 11, 2006, 10:06:36 PM8/11/06

<marad...@UNLISTED.com> wrote in message

> On 10 Aug 2006 17:03:05 -0700, "Darrel" <Darre...@hotmail.com>
> They work fine too, and have some nicer brackets. As long as I dont
> have to fuss with all those hooks and other nonsense, I'm happy. This
> beats what I did when I was younger and would just nail the curtains
> into the top of the woodwork where it meets the wall, using some small
> nails !!! (Women seem to get offended by this) :)
>
> Mark

Mark,

I guess I have been hanging around with Designing women to long. That even
offends me. :)

Colbyt

kathy

Mar 8, 2013, 11:44:02 AM3/8/13
replying to Darrel, kathy wrote:
I am looking for the same thing. They had it when I lived in New Zealand. It
was covered in vinyl. I haven't found it in the US either!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/springs-for-hanging-curtains-136852-.htm

kathy

Mar 8, 2013, 11:45:02 AM3/8/13
replying to Darrel, kathy wrote:
> DarrelJames wrote:

just found this:
--
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Expand-PVC-Coated-Metal-Spring-Curtain-Drape-Wire-/110830735306
good luck!

Icn2u

Oct 29, 2014, 9:44:06 AM10/29/14
replying to Darrel, Icn2u wrote:
I found them! I have also been looking. Found on eBay. Called curtain
rod, spring sash. So it is a curtain sash spring rod is how I would say
it. Search ebay with the following description and you should be able to
find them.

Newell 2 Pack, 20" - 36", Zinc, Curtain Rod Spring Sash A7004213411

beklo...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2015, 11:23:11 PM7/23/15
Hi Darrel,

When I was growing up, it seemed like half the little old ladies I knew had little curtains over their pantry cupboards or porch windows or something hung in thin wire springs, 1/4th inch or so in diameter by however long. I just recently bought a house that is 125 years old and it is begging for little curtains hung on springs. But where, oh where do we find them? Surely there is some place to order them? I need some about 14 inches long and a couple about 42 inches long. If you find a good source for buying them, and not coated ones either, would you please email me? Thanks a million! And good luck in your search.

Martha

Sep 8, 2015, 5:44:05 PM9/8/15
replying to beklousmith , Martha wrote:
Found'em! 20-36 in. Zinc Spring Sash Rod 2 Pack
http://www.midlandhardware.com/394254.html#.Ve9Nqnvxi8U

snl

Jun 15, 2016, 11:44:05 PM6/15/16

philip

Aug 2, 2016, 9:14:05 AM8/2/16

ItsJoanNotJoann

Aug 2, 2016, 1:48:05 PM8/2/16
On Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 8:14:05 AM UTC-5, philip wrote:

> replying to Darrel, philip wrote:
> Here you go, Darrel; 10 years later:
> https://www.amazon.com/Levolor-Kirsch-A7004213411-20-36-Spring/dp/B000PSFQHO

I think Darrel got pissed off and just decided to walk around
his house buck naked with no thought that the neighbors might
be shocked.

Really Philip, do you think Darrel has been waiting 10 years
for you to come along with a solution???

Oren

Aug 2, 2016, 2:07:05 PM8/2/16
Darrel consulted his bother named Darrel and his other brother Darrel.

Darrel, Darrel and Darrel removed the curtains.

Uncle Monster

Aug 2, 2016, 2:20:36 PM8/2/16
You did hear what happened to Darrel didn't you. 10 years ago he was walking around his house naked fondling himself in clear view of the little old crazed devoutly religious Southern Baptist lady who lived next door. She was so upset that she grabbed her .50 cal Barrett Sniper Rifle, took careful aim and blew(no pun) Darrel's manhood off. Poor Darrel bled to death after losing his member. His 347 gerbils escaped their cages and ate him. It was a week before police found his skeletal remains and hundreds of fat gerbils. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Fat Monster

DerbyDad03

Aug 2, 2016, 3:58:24 PM8/2/16
Gee, Phillip must have upset your apple cart by offering an answer.
An answer that probably makes no sense to you, but it's an answer just
the same.

Phillip doesn't have to run his answers by you in advance to make
sure they meet with your approval.

(Gosh, I wonder why that sounds so familiar...)

ItsJoanNotJoann

Aug 2, 2016, 11:35:56 PM8/2/16
On Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 2:58:24 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> Phillip doesn't have to run his answers by you in advance to make
> sure they meet with your approval.
>
> (Gosh, I wonder why that sounds so familiar...)

As usual DummyDad has his bvd's in a knot. Proof you are
as stupid as Philip since neither of you can read dates.
Now do us all a favor and drop dead.

DerbyDad03

Aug 3, 2016, 7:03:31 AM8/3/16
Whoosh!

(As if my post had anything to do about dates)

Paint...@unlisted.moo

Aug 3, 2016, 8:01:32 AM8/3/16
+10

Gary

Aug 3, 2016, 11:22:39 AM8/3/16
Seems like I remember +10 being illegal in usenet. (?)

Florentin

Aug 17, 2016, 11:14:04 AM8/17/16
replying to Darrel, Florentin wrote:
fabricville

Lee Wickham

Jan 15, 2017, 7:14:04 PM1/15/17
replying to Darrel, Lee Wickham wrote:
what you are looking for is known as a "Spring Sash Rod" do a search and
yes..they still make them.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/springs-for-hanging-curtains-136852-.htm

Lee Wickham

Jan 15, 2017, 7:14:06 PM1/15/17
replying to maradcliff, Lee Wickham wrote:
So then what you are saying is just get some burlap sacks and use roofing
nails to attach them to the window casement? I can only imagine what happens
when the revenue iors came a callin' uninvited..
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/8g

Oren

Jan 15, 2017, 7:26:28 PM1/15/17
On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 00:14:03 GMT, Lee Wickham
<caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> wrote:

>So then what you are saying is just get some burlap sacks and use roofing
>nails to attach them to the window casement?

What"s wrong with using cotton flour sacks and tacks?

AJC

Jul 27, 2017, 4:14:06 PM7/27/17
replying to Darrel, AJC wrote:
I am looking for the same thing, I found them last year at Menards and they do
not have them this year. I need one that will stretch to 72 inches if you
find please let me know

Cathleen

Aug 5, 2017, 7:14:08 AM8/5/17
replying to Darrel, Cathleen wrote:
im looking for them also, no one else gets what i am talking about either

Ed Pawlowski

Aug 5, 2017, 9:27:55 AM8/5/17
On 8/5/2017 7:14 AM, Cathleen wrote:
> replying to Darrel, Cathleen wrote:
> im looking for them also, no one else gets what i am talking about either

I have a set of those springs. We don't use them for curtains any more
but have built a playground with spring loaded swings and see saws for
gerbils. The little critters love playing on the as they bounce so
well. It has become very popular so you may find them in a pet store.
Look in the gerbil section.

Uncle Monster

Aug 5, 2017, 5:01:00 PM8/5/17
I'm gonna start renting out my gerbils. The Internet really needs them. GERBIL POWER! ヽ(^o^)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Fuzzy Monster

Debi

Aug 14, 2017, 4:44:06 PM8/14/17
replying to Darrel, Debi wrote:
I am looking for the same thing , have you found any and where

Debi

Aug 14, 2017, 4:44:08 PM8/14/17
replying to Darrel, Debi wrote:
Exactly what I need also

Stormin' Norman

Aug 14, 2017, 4:51:33 PM8/14/17
On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 20:44:03 GMT, Debi
<caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> wrote:

>replying to Darrel, Debi wrote:
>Exactly what I need also

Ikea sells curtain wire, is that what you are looking for?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60075295/

Lizzy

Oct 1, 2017, 12:44:10 PM10/1/17
replying to maradcliff, Lizzy wrote:
_Kinda hard to do on a steel door.
_

Janet Kinkade

Feb 3, 2018, 11:14:08 AM2/3/18
replying to Darrel, Janet Kinkade wrote:
yes, i'm looking for them too. we used them to keep sheer door panels on the
bottom of the curtain to keep the curtain taut, and prohibit it from blowing
sideways when the french door opened or closed

Isabel

Mar 28, 2018, 8:14:05 PM3/28/18
replying to Darrel, Isabel wrote:
Here is where I found it:
https://www.curtainandbathoutlet.com/7-32-spring-sash

Debra M

Apr 23, 2018, 8:14:07 PM4/23/18
replying to Darrel, Debra M wrote:
I'm looking for them too. This is what I found so far. My roommate's VW has
this type of wire for the curtains.
https://www.curtainandbathoutlet.com/checkout/cart/

Dale

Jun 1, 2018, 6:44:06 PM6/1/18
replying to Darrel, Dale wrote:
Darrel, I put them up on long glass doors to my computer room 0n 2001 in
Georgia (USA) to put sheers that I wanted bunched tightly. Recently I started
looking for them again for our new house, and cannot find them anywhere. I can
only assume some other curtain hanging technology has replaced them.

Luann

Jun 25, 2018, 5:14:07 PM6/25/18
replying to Darrel, Luann wrote:
I know exactly what you are looking for because I used to use them and I am
looking for some again.

TeresaOB66

Aug 25, 2018, 7:14:32 PM8/25/18
replying to Darrel, TeresaOB66 wrote:
Darrell did you ever get your answer?my mom used there too but I can’t find
them. Hers had a flat metal clip screwed to the door or wall with a little
bent metal hook that would hold each end of the spring. She used the on
curtain with a feed channel at either end so she could secure the top & bottom
of the curtain (usually on a door, but also used on a plastic curtain on the
window in the shower.

TeresaOB66

Aug 25, 2018, 7:14:32 PM8/25/18
replying to Isabel, TeresaOB66 wrote:
I think I found them. https://www.curtainandbathoutlet.com/7-32-spring-sash

Wayne Boatwright

Aug 26, 2018, 12:57:19 AM8/26/18
On Sat 25 Aug 2018 04:14:28p, TeresaOB66 told us...

> replying to Isabel, TeresaOB66 wrote:
> I think I found them.
> https://www.curtainandbathoutlet.com/7-32-spring-sash

Perfect solution for the prpose. I have used these before, but didnd't
remember where I got them. It was years ago.

Wayne Boatwright

Uncle Monster

Aug 26, 2018, 4:58:21 AM8/26/18
On Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 6:14:32 PM UTC-5, TeresaOB66 wrote:
> replying to Darrel, TeresaOB66 wrote:
> Darrell did you ever get your answer?my mom used there too but I can’t find
> them. Hers had a flat metal clip screwed to the door or wall with a little
> bent metal hook that would hold each end of the spring. She used the on
> curtain with a feed channel at either end so she could secure the top & bottom
> of the curtain (usually on a door, but also used on a plastic curtain on the
> window in the shower.

Do you believe that Darrel has been waiting for your reply since 2006? Someone may need the information anyway. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Time Traveling Monster

MmeG

Sep 2, 2018, 6:44:06 PM9/2/18
replying to Icn2u, MmeG wrote:
Bless you. Spring sash worked in a google search. I’ve been looking for this
for years and it seemed to have dropped off the face of the earth.

Cherie

May 26, 2019, 9:14:05 PM5/26/19
replying to Darrel, Cherie wrote:
I am looking for them too, to use in a vintage camper trailer. That way, I
can use one top and bottom to hold the curtains close to the slanted walls.

vr

Jul 8, 2019, 6:14:05 PM7/8/19
replying to lee houston, vr wrote:
Nope, not these.

vr

Jul 8, 2019, 6:14:06 PM7/8/19
replying to kathy, vr wrote:
I grew up using the window curtain springs in the U.S. I don't know where they
were manufactured, but it definitely seems they are no longer available
anywhere..

vr

Jul 8, 2019, 6:14:06 PM7/8/19
replying to Darrel, vr wrote:
I'm looking for them too. We've had them in years past, in the U.S.

vr

Jul 8, 2019, 6:14:06 PM7/8/19
replying to Cathleen, vr wrote:
I do. I've been looking for them too. It seems they aren't made anymore. My
husband brought home screen door springs. Way too big and strong for curtains.

vr

Jul 8, 2019, 6:14:06 PM7/8/19
replying to Stormin' Norman, vr wrote:
No. Curtain wire is just straight wire. Curtain springs are actual coiled
springs of varying lengths.

vr

Jul 8, 2019, 6:14:06 PM7/8/19
replying to Darrel, vr wrote:
I, too, am looking for these springs to hang curtains on back door. Can't find
them anywhere.

Dean

Jul 17, 2019, 4:44:06 PM7/17/19
replying to vr, Dean wrote:
Hello, curtain spring sash rod. KENNEY MFG. Curtain and Baths Outlet, 24 to
36 inch. Hope this helps

Stacey fleming

Jul 31, 2019, 12:44:06 PM7/31/19
replying to Darrel, Stacey fleming wrote:
I know exactly what you are talking about and I am looking for them toooooo

rosali...@gmail.com

May 28, 2020, 1:07:49 PM5/28/20
I am looking for them too. I am moving maybe have to take the old ones

JaimeLee

Apr 3, 2021, 1:01:05 PM4/3/21
I am looking for the same type of spring rod. They were the best! They were long lightweight springs held up by an eye hook on each end. There was some give on them but they did not sag if lightweight fabric was used. Great for kids shelves or basement shelves.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/springs-for-hanging-curtains-136852-.htm

Darlene

Sep 15, 2021, 12:15:09 PM9/15/21
I know this post is quite old but I just came upon it and found the answer to the question in case someone is still searching. It's called Door Sash Tension Rod Zinc Spring Coil http://35.231.65.229/product/sash-rod-zinc-spring-like-for-door/

Scott Lurndal

Sep 15, 2021, 12:25:07 PM9/15/21
Darlene <956a193131fb029c...@example.com> writes:
>I know this post is quite old but I just came upon it and found the answer to the question in
>case someone is still searching. It's called Door Sash Tension Rod Zinc Spring Coil
>http://<bogus_ip_address>/product/sash-rod-zinc-spring-like-for-door/

There's so much wrong with that URL. Don't click on it.

https://fossbytes.com/googleusercontent-malware-hosting-in-images/

beckyjo

Apr 13, 2022, 2:32:02 PM4/13/22
The springs we used back in the day were very low profile and easy to install. It took one little nail on each end. I had way better luck with them than the cheap curtain rods of today. Yeah, no, on the nailing the curtain hahaha. You're funny.

Benice

Jun 19, 2022, 1:15:08 PM6/19/22
Wow! Mean! I am looking for these right now

James

Jul 10, 2022, 1:01:57 AM7/10/22
The new asian import versions are made out of zinc. i wouldn't put those on my antique doors. You can still find older USA ones around that are older steel, searching for "spring sash".