Find electrical wire behind drywall?

Kiefer

Mar 8, 2002, 11:26:24 AM3/8/02
Is there a tool I can buy to locate electrical wire behind drywall?
Thanks
Kiefer

Harry

Mar 8, 2002, 11:36:40 AM3/8/02
There is a very inexpensive tool that one can get a Home Depot or Lowes that
"detects" a hot wire through drywall, but it doesn't work very well in my
experience. There are more expensive tools that one can get, but they may
exceed your budget. Check at HD or Lowes or any good electric supply shop.

I guess I'd ask the follow-on question: once you find it, what will you do
with it?

"Kiefer" <boug...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Mike Hartigan

Mar 8, 2002, 10:07:02 PM3/8/02
In article <rw5i8.485$OM1....@read1.cgocable.net>, boughner1
@sympatico.ca says...

> Is there a tool I can buy to locate electrical wire behind drywall?
> Thanks
> Kiefer

Much to my dismay, my electronic stud finder can find conduit quite
easily. I assume you're looking for romex, however. I don't know if it
would work as well, but you might give it a try.

V.07

Rich Webb

Mar 9, 2002, 9:01:01 AM3/9/02
On Fri, 8 Mar 2002 11:26:24 -0500, "Kiefer" <boug...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>Is there a tool I can buy to locate electrical wire behind drywall?
>Thanks

Gardner Bender's Circuit Tracker and similar instruments from other
manufacturers. They are usually sold as tracers to locate the circuit
breaker that is on a particular branch but they will work to trace the
route of the wiring inside the wall -- provided the wires are not buried
too deeply or shielded inside conduit. OTOH, wire-in-conduit may be
detectable by the better instruments in the "stud finder" family; some
can be tuned to preferentially detect metal. So, with a current
generation stud finder and a Circuit Tracker (and some patience), you're
in business...

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Tony Hwang

Mar 9, 2002, 12:13:13 PM3/9/02
Simple compass will do. When it is near the wire, the pointer needle
will go wild.
Tony

Roland

Mar 9, 2002, 12:54:08 PM3/9/02
As an electrician I have used several methods. However it depends on
if your looking for it on a one time basis or you need on a regualar
basis. The costs for a good tone system is $250 and up. It will find
it right down to the break. Greeenlee makes professional systems and
other makes at an electrical wholesale house. The magnetic "stud
finders" are of no use since copper wire is a non-ferrous metal. And a
tone generator system will give you a clear tone that can be pick-ed
up from several inches and even a couple feet below ground. If ist a
one time shot call an electrician that will garantee results with
proper equipment. Tonner equipment is the best.

Healthy in Hawaii

Mar 27, 2017, 2:41:10 PM3/27/17
Drill, cut or nail into a wall or floor and hit a 110 -220 VAC hot line just once can cause injury or death.
Your choice... Would you depend on a compass to protect your health or life? There are instruments that cost less then $100.00 that are reasonably reliable for home owners or week end workers.

Professionals usually get the best at several hundred dollars. They understand the risks that's why they are uninjured professionals.

On a broader consideration... what if you drill, cut or nail into a plastic water or gas line in the wall? Can a compass "see" water or gas?

Change your paradigm, change your results. May you have "Health, Happiness and Prosperity!"

philo

Mar 27, 2017, 3:10:14 PM3/27/17
On 03/27/2017 01:41 PM, Healthy in Hawaii wrote:
> On Friday, March 8, 2002 at 6:26:24 AM UTC-10, Kiefer wrote:

L@@K AT THE DATE!!!!

Gordon Shumway

Mar 27, 2017, 3:44:36 PM3/27/17
Maybe, as Healthy in Hawaii warned against, he drilled into a hot 220 Volt line and got fried back in '02.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Mar 27, 2017, 4:49:08 PM3/27/17
The "fancy tool" doesn't see plastic lines either.