What's the trick to make Ethernet work on an HP 2100TN printer?

Misha

Sep 8, 2013, 12:15:58 AM9/8/13
In another thread, I mentioned a friend gave me a printer.
Here is a picture of the HP LaserJet 2100TN hooked up at my house:
http://i42.tinypic.com/kxq9t.gif

The friend had it on AppleTalk (Macintosh), but I'm Windows
and Linux (XP and Ubuntu).

I plugged the printer into the router by the ethernet cable, and
rebooted. Nothing happened on the WinXP PC connected to the same
router by ethernet cable. Nothing happened on the Ubuntu laptop
connected wirelessly by the same cable. Nor on the Android phone.

Probably I need drivers, but, when I went to the HP support page,
they had tons of drivers. But which one is the one needed to enable
the WinXP PC (and the other PCs connected wirelessly to the router)
to see the printer?
http://i42.tinypic.com/2ro52ty.gif

Which of those drivers will make the ethernet work?
1. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 5e Printer Driver
2. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 6 Printer Driver
3. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 5e point and print bundles
4. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 6 point and print bundles
5. 3 - HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL5
6. HP Printer Administrator Resource Kit

Or is there another trick to making the printer show up to
Windows XP? (The workgroup is "HOME" for the WinXP PC.)

PV

Sep 8, 2013, 1:08:50 AM9/8/13
You need to assign an IP address to the printer, one that resides within
your existing IP scheme. Install the drivers on the respective computer. I
would use the PCL 6 and print bundles. I have no idea about the Linux
machine.

If the printer drivers to not automatically find the printer you will have
to create a printer port pointed at the IP address of the printer

A very brief overview of how it's done.

--
PV

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is only difficult
for others.

It is the same when you are stupid

Misha

Sep 8, 2013, 1:22:19 AM9/8/13
> Or is there another trick to making the printer show up to Windows XP?
> (The workgroup is "HOME" for the WinXP PC.)

Reading this service manual:
http://www.lbrty.com/tech/Manuals_HP/2100sm.pdf

Page 140 seemed the most likely for network configuration, but,
there was really nothing there that could actually be used.

I went to the IP address of the printer using the web, and it
wanted me to install a Java plugin, so, I'm hoping Java will
get the HP 2100TN printer visible on the WinXP PC network.
http://i42.tinypic.com/2ilbm13.gif

Misha

Sep 8, 2013, 1:31:22 AM9/8/13
On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 23:08:50 -0600, PV wrote:
> I would use the PCL 6 and print bundles.

OK. I'll install the one called:
4. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 6 point and print bundles

> You need to assign an IP address to the printer, one that resides within
> your existing IP scheme.

It seems (from the printouts my friend provided with the machine) that
the HP LaserJet 2100TN printer had an IP address at my friend's house
of 192.168.1.116.

Interestingly, my router is at 192.168.1.1, and, when I printed a test
page, it showed the printer *still* has that IP address, but this time,
on my network.

Just to see what happens, I pointed my WinXP browser to that URL:
http://192.168.1.116 (on port 80)

And, well, it found *something* ...
http://i42.tinypic.com/2ilbm13.gif

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 8, 2013, 1:36:47 AM9/8/13
On 08 Sep 2013 04:15:58 GMT, Misha <Mi...@invalid.com> wrote:

>I plugged the printer into the router by the ethernet cable, and
>rebooted. Nothing happened on the WinXP PC connected to the same
>router by ethernet cable.

Go to Control Panel Printers Add a new printer

On W7 you can go directly to Devices and Printers, but I forget on XP
so I know you can go through Control Panel

Misha

Sep 8, 2013, 1:49:24 AM9/8/13
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 01:36:47 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Go to Control Panel Printers Add a new printer

The funny thing is that my friend gave me only a power cord.

There is no direct connection to the printer from the Windows XP
desktop.

The WinXP desktop is connected to the home broadband router via
an ethernet cable just like the printer is currently connected
to that same router by an ethernet cable.

So when I go to Start->Settings->Control Panel in WinXP,
I can go to "Printers & Faxes->Add Printer", which takes me to
the "Welcoem to the Add Printer Wizard".

For the first time in my life, I check the "Network Printer"
radio dial even though there is a note at the bottom saying:
"To set up a network printer that is not attached to a print
server, use the "Local printer" option".
http://i43.tinypic.com/2w583fn.gif

Hmmm... do I have a print server or not?

Misha

Sep 8, 2013, 2:09:27 AM9/8/13
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 05:49:24 +0000, Misha wrote:

> For the first time in my life, I check the "Network Printer"
> radio dial even though there is a note at the bottom saying:
> "To set up a network printer that is not attached to a print server, use
> the "Local printer" option".
> http://i43.tinypic.com/2w583fn.gif
>
> Hmmm... do I have a print server or not?

Well, moving forward, blindly guessing, selecting this failed:
(o)Connect to a printer on the Internet or on a home or office network
URL = http://192.168.1.116

The error was:
Windows cannot connect to the printer...
http://i44.tinypic.com/iqy6j8.gif

So, I must not be specifying the printer address correctly.
Or, it's the wrong button to check in the printer control panel applet.

Misha

Sep 8, 2013, 2:26:03 AM9/8/13
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 06:09:27 +0000, Misha wrote:

> So, I must not be specifying the printer address correctly.
> Or, it's the wrong button to check in the printer control panel applet.

Going back to the web browser URL to the printer, after installing
Java on WinXP, and, after agreeing to an ominous warning:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2hdsgue.jpg

I now see that the web browser communicates just fine
with the printer.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2eam1cz.jpg

I think I'm close.

I just don't know how to tell WinXP explicitly what the
printer name is that is attached to the router.

And, Windows XP doesn't know how to find that printer which
is connected to the router by a similar wire that it is.

I do have a Win7 machine handy on the same network (wirelessly
though), so I'll see what the magic name might be from Windows 7
standpoints.

Tony Hwang

Sep 8, 2013, 3:35:51 AM9/8/13
Windows have Help and Support built-in. Why not give a keyword like
"how to add network printer on LAN?" and see what happens. You don't
have to give the printer fixed IP, you can let the DHCP server on the
router get one. Think networked printer. On linux, same thing. I have
Canon MP990 WiFi connected to network on a router for various OS and
all is working fine. Can you ping the printer? Can you do ipconfig /all
and ipconfig /renew from XP machine?

Misha

Sep 8, 2013, 2:48:33 AM9/8/13
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 00:35:51 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

> Can you ping the printer?
> Can you do ipconfig /all and ipconfig /renew
> from the XP machine?

Pinging from Windows XP worked just fine:
C:\> ping 192.168.1.116
http://i43.tinypic.com/vqp7p3.gif

I ran the ipconfig commands, but, they didn't really
need to be run since the ping already found the printer.

So, the printer (which is connected to the router), is clearly
on the network.

The trick is figuring out how to tell Windows XP that the
printer is on the network.

I'm also trying to set it up as a TCP/IP printer,
whatever that is (in the Add New Printer Wizard):
http://i43.tinypic.com/afijae.gif

But, the problem is that there are so many wrong turns one
can take that I must be taking them all because I don't
know the proper sequence for setting up a networked printer.

Misha

Sep 8, 2013, 3:06:18 AM9/8/13
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 06:48:33 +0000, Misha wrote:

> I'm also trying to set it up as a TCP/IP printer,
> whatever that is (in the Add New Printer Wizard):
> http://i43.tinypic.com/afijae.gif
>
> But, the problem is that there are so many wrong turns one can take that
> I must be taking them all because I don't know the proper sequence for
> setting up a networked printer.

OK. I got it working by that method above.
Here is the entire sequence, documented in screenshots:
http://i41.tinypic.com/vi39lt.jpg

Whew! That was *not* intuitive!

Misha

Sep 8, 2013, 3:48:55 AM9/8/13
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 07:06:18 +0000, Misha wrote:

> http://i41.tinypic.com/vi39lt.jpg
> Whew! That was *not* intuitive!

Well, if I had originally thought it was unintuitive getting
Windows XP to print to a newly home-ethernetted HP 2100 TN printer,
I spoke before I got Linux to print to the same printer (wirelessly):
http://i41.tinypic.com/4vifwi.png

Here's the sequence for Linux to get a printer hooked
to a home broadband router:
http://i42.tinypic.com/rjl37s.jpg

Now, the WinXP machine, hard wired to the router, can print to the
printer (also hard wired to the router); while the Linux laptop
wirelessly connected to the router can also print to that networked
printer.

Success at last!
Thanks for all your help!

Misha

Sep 8, 2013, 6:32:19 AM9/8/13
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 07:48:55 +0000, Misha wrote:

By way of summary, here are composite screenshots of the steps,
from start to finish, necessary to configure Windows & Linux
to print to a printer wired only to the router.

Windows XP ==> http://i41.tinypic.com/vi39lt.jpg
Windows 7 ==> http://i40.tinypic.com/2hoba78.jpg
Linux ==> http://i40.tinypic.com/2r4ika8.jpg

If anyone has a clue how to print using Android on WiFi,
please let me know as I don't have a clue where to start.

David H. Lipman

Sep 8, 2013, 7:18:11 AM9/8/13
From: "Misha" <Mi...@invalid.com>
Printer drivers are completely independent of Ethernet. They are the language of the
printer and will allow the printer to properly render what is desired to be printed.

PS = PostScript and will use an associated PPD file.
PCL = Printer Control Language
PCL5 = Printer Control Language version 5
PCL6 = Printer Control Language version 6

A HP printer may use an embedded or extenally attached JetDirect "Print Server".
It will conform to Telnet (TCP port 23), HTTP (TCP port 80) and to TCP raw printing @ TCP
port 9100

Telnet and HTTP can be used to configure the HP JetDirect.

External HP JetDirect Print Servers (Ex: 200m, 300x and 310x) have a "reset" button that
will cause the JetDirect to reset it settings and it will then seek a new IP address via
DHCP such as from a SOHO Router. Once the HP JetDirect gets an IP from a SOHO Router, one
can query the Router's DHCP assignments and get the IP address that was assigned to the HP
JetDirect.

Printers with Internal JetDirects (Ex: 600n, 610n and 615n) can be setup by the printer
using the buttons, menu and the printer's LCD display.

Once the printer has a DHCP assigment you can use Telnet or HTTP to configure the printer
such as for SNMP, Banner Page, Static or Dynamic IP, Access Lists or turn off un-needed
protocols (Ex: DLC/LLC and IPX/SPX).
NOTE: It is easier to work with HP JetDirects using a static IP address.

Once the JetDirect is configured, you can setup a TCP/IP port Assignment to print to.

Use of the HP Install Network Printer Wizard (INPW) software can help automate the
process on Windows, including the setup of the JetDirect because it communicates with the
JetDirect based upon the MAC address and all HP JetDirects use a standard MAC address
preamble.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Bob_Villa

Sep 8, 2013, 8:50:25 AM9/8/13
Misha Mouska...take these question to a pertinent group!

Hot-Text

Sep 8, 2013, 10:16:19 AM9/8/13
"Misha" <Mi...@invalid.com> wrote in message
Printer Driver are on the HP Printer Software
just install it.......

<
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=14918&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=25469 >

Software - Universal Print Driver Description Current version Size (MB)HP Printer Administrator Resource Kit 1.7.3
2 Aug 2013 16.9 56K: 41m
512K: 4m

Tony Hwang

Sep 8, 2013, 11:15:53 AM9/8/13
You use Ubuntu? I use Ubuntu and Mist Linux. Ubuntu is good but they
charge for some apps. My router is ASUS RT-AC66U, Synology NAS
DS713+/DX213 combo. Network has Wired devices thru a GBe switch XP pro,
W7 Ult., W8 Pro, Linux. Mac OS X sharing Canon MP990 WiFi printer. I
monitor my PV solar panel array connected to the router as well.
Coming winter project is adding WiFi video surv. cameras tothe NAS.

Misha

Sep 8, 2013, 3:15:59 PM9/8/13
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 07:18:11 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

> PS = PostScript and will use an associated PPD file.
> PCL = Printer Control Language PCL5 = Printer Control Language version 5
> PCL6 = Printer Control Language version 6

I always wonder which is the one to use, since all of them work,
and I have no need for more than one.

Which would you use?

Misha

Sep 8, 2013, 3:18:42 PM9/8/13
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 07:18:11 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

> Telnet and HTTP can be used to configure the HP JetDirect.

I had not even thought of telnetting to the printer.

Trying it out, I find it a bit cryptic.

$ telnet 192.168.1.116
Trying 192.168.1.116...
Connected to 192.168.1.116.
Escape character is '^]'.

HP JetDirect

Please type "?" for HELP, or "/" for current settings
> ?

To Change/Configure Parameters Enter:
Parameter-name: value <Carriage Return>

Parameter-name Type of value
ip: IP-address in dotted notation
subnet-mask: address in dotted notation
default-gw: address in dotted notation
syslog-svr: address in dotted notation
idle-timeout: seconds in integers
set-cmnty-name: alpha-numeric string (32 chars max)
host-name: alpha-numeric string (upper case only, 32 chars
max)
dhcp-config: 0 to disable, 1 to enable
ipx/spx: 0 to disable, 1 to enable
dlc/llc: 0 to disable, 1 to enable
ethertalk: 0 to disable, 1 to enable
banner: 0 to disable, 1 to enable

Type passwd to change the password.

Type "?" for HELP, "/" for current settings or "quit" to save-and-exit.
Or type "exit" to exit without saving configuration parameter entries

Misha

Sep 8, 2013, 3:21:33 PM9/8/13
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 07:18:11 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

> HTTP can be used to configure the HP JetDirect.

I did try http://192.168.1.116, which required a Java installation:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2hdsgue.jpg

Once done, the web interface gave a web page of information:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2eam1cz.jpg

But, I couldn't see from that web page how to CHANGE anything.

Nor would I know what I'd want to change anyway.
I just wanted to print.

Misha

Sep 8, 2013, 3:25:01 PM9/8/13
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 07:18:11 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

> A HP printer may use an embedded or externally attached JetDirect "Print
> Server".

I had never heard of JetDirect until yesterday; so I'm still a novice.
I "think" this printer has the server attached where the ethernet cord
plugs into the side.

> Telnet and HTTP can be used to configure the HP JetDirect.

Hmmm... I didn't "configure" JetDirect, so, I must be using whatever
defaults my friend had previously set.

I am a bit worried that the printer for both my friend and for me
was at a seemingly static IP address of 192.168.1.116.

Yet ...

I have DHCP configured ... so I'm shocked that DHCP just happened to
give the printer the *same* IP address it had at my friend's house.

So, I'm a bit worried that the IP address configuration is not obvious
to me. But if it works as it is, I'm ok with that. I hope.

Misha

Sep 8, 2013, 3:25:47 PM9/8/13
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 07:18:11 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

> NOTE: It is easier to work with HP JetDirects using a static IP address.

How can I tell if my JetDirect is using a STATIC or a DYNAMIC IP
address anyway?

Misha

Sep 8, 2013, 3:31:17 PM9/8/13
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 07:18:11 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

> Use of the HP Install Network Printer Wizard (INPW) software can help
> automate the process on Windows, including the setup of the JetDirect
> because it communicates with the JetDirect based upon the MAC address
> and all HP JetDirects use a standard MAC address preamble.

I must admit, I was just shooting blindly, but, looking back, I never
did "configure" the printer.

All I did, in effect, was clumsily click on the operating system GUIs
for configuring a networked printer.

Reflecting back, this is what I did:

1. I plugged the printer ethernet port into the router; nothing happened.

2. Dumbfounded, I clicked around in Windows XP like a foraging ant
searching for crumbs, and, at one point, the wizards favored me, and the
printer showed up. http://i41.tinypic.com/vi39lt.jpg

3. I then did the same for Windows 7, and again, the wizards eventually
favored me for having clicked enough buttons.
http://i40.tinypic.com/2hoba78.jpg

4. I did the same for Linux, and yet again, the wizards allowed me to
print. http://i40.tinypic.com/2r4ika8.jpg

Point is, I never did 'configure' anything as I took all the defaults.

I would never have known (especially on Linux) what to put in the fields
anyway.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Sep 8, 2013, 3:38:48 PM9/8/13
In article <522c0baa$0$43410$afc3...@read01.usenet4all.se>,
so have you discovered how to make the print darker?

Misha

Sep 8, 2013, 3:42:02 PM9/8/13
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 12:38:48 -0700, Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

> so have you discovered how to make the print darker?

Nope.

All I know, at the moment, is how to make the thing print. :)

I never explicitly downloaded any drivers as I let the operating system
figure all that out. I never changed anything from the default yet.

I'm not even sure WHERE to go about looking to make the print darker,
since the HP LaserJet 2100TN has only two buttons, and no display.

I do have the user manual, so, I'll comb through that.
http://tinyurl.com/qdfvjks

Bob F

Sep 8, 2013, 3:43:22 PM9/8/13
The printer is configured for that address, so it doesn't use DHCP to get one.

David H. Lipman

Sep 8, 2013, 5:13:35 PM9/8/13
From: "Misha" <Mi...@invalid.com>
I always shoot for PCL v6 and if I have a problem, I'll downgrade to PCL v5

David H. Lipman

Sep 8, 2013, 5:25:42 PM9/8/13
From: "Misha" <Mi...@invalid.com>
In the Telnet session you can hit the key; "/" { no quotes } for current
settings, and hit "?" top see a list of interpreted commands.

For example the following line will disable IPX/SPX { you may not see what
you type }

ipx/spx: 0

Success is shown by the showing of an additional ">" and then you can hit
"/" to see that change was made.

Typing "quit" will Save the configuration and close the Telnet session.

A way to test printer communication is by a Telnet session to port 9100
For example if the JetDirect IP is 192.168.1.3 you would type;

telnet 192.168.1.3 9100

That will open up a Telnet bsession with no feedback. just type anything
and everting and include hitting the "Enter" key.

When you close tghe Telnet session, whatever you type in the Telnet session
will be printed by the printer. This is a good way to test the Print Server
at a low level.

David H. Lipman

Sep 8, 2013, 5:32:31 PM9/8/13
From: "Misha" <Mi...@invalid.com>
That would be under "Administration"
http://multi-av.thespykiller.co.uk/other/jetdirect1.jpg

David H. Lipman

Sep 8, 2013, 5:42:08 PM9/8/13
From: "Misha" <Mi...@invalid.com>
That can be determined using Telnet or HTTP.

telnet 192.168.1.16

Hit the "/" key.

If it shows "DHCP Config : Disabled"
It is a static address.

Misha

Sep 8, 2013, 6:01:43 PM9/8/13
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 17:42:08 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

> telnet 192.168.1.16
>
> Hit the "/" key.
>
> If it shows "DHCP Config : Disabled"
> It is a static address.

The funny thing is that the printer *appears* to have a static IP address
of 192.168.1.116; yet, DHCP is clearly enabled as shown in the web browser
pointing to http://192.168.1.116:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2gxfeh2.png

Your nice telnet suggestion above also confirms DHCP is enabled:
$ telnet 192.168.1.116
Trying 192.168.1.116...
Connected to 192.168.1.116.
Escape character is '^]'.

HP JetDirect

Please type "?" for HELP, or "/" for current settings
> /

===JetDirect Telnet Configuration===
Firmware Rev. : G.07.20
MAC Address : 00:10:83:a0:bb:cd
Config By : DHCP
IP Address : 192.168.1.116
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway : 192.168.1.1
Syslog Server : Not Specified
Idle Timeout : 90 Seconds
Set Cmnty Name : Not Specified
Host Name : NBIU830AC
DHCP Config : Enabled
Passwd : Disabled
IPX/SPX : Disabled
DLC/LLC : Enabled
Ethertalk : Enabled
Banner page : Enabled

So, I'm confused why, if DHCP is operating, why the printer is always at
the IP address 192.168.1.116, even when it was at my friend's house.

Misha

Sep 8, 2013, 6:04:36 PM9/8/13
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 08:16:19 -0600, Hot-Text wrote:

> Printer Driver are on the HP Printer Software just install it.......

Actually, while I downloaded the printer drivers from the HP web site,
what is missing is how to set up the printer on the network.

For that, I used the respective operating system wizards (WinXP, Win7,
and Linux).

Interestingly, each of these wizards obtained the HP drivers on their
own, so, in the end, I never used the HP drivers that I had downloaded.

I have no idea what the *practical* difference is between the drivers
anyway (e.g., PCL5 vs PCL6 vs PS); but, all I know is that the printer
appears to now be networked to all the devices except the Android
cellphone.

David H. Lipman

Sep 8, 2013, 6:14:59 PM9/8/13
From: "Misha" <Mi...@invalid.com>
"Config By : DHCP "

I won't go into the DHCP protocol to explain why it will stay at
192.168.1.16 for a lengthy period or how a new IP could eventaully be
assigned (Leased) to it.

BTW: That's a HP Jetdirect 600n and the last Firmware is Version = G.08.49
Your Telnet session shows; "G.07.20" so it could be upgraded. However it
isn't too important and you are just learning about HP JetDirect Print
Servers.

Tony Hwang

Sep 8, 2013, 8:51:37 PM9/8/13
Practical wisdom is if all works the way you are satisfied. Leave it be.
Reason to update driver or firmware is if want particular feature or
improvement is needed according to the release note. So many folks just
update for the sake of update's and getting into trouble. PCLs for PC,
PS is for Mac(Apple).

If you are curious, reboot the router and see if IP changes. Or you can
assign fixed IP from router GUI or from printer set up. My WiFi printer
and NAS are given fixed IP for the convenience.

Under one submask you can have a range of IP(0 to 256) but if you don't
have that many devices, limit it to like 0 to 20. No need to wasting
time scanning all those unused IP addresses. My router has IP range of
gateway one plus 15 which is enough for our home network.

Misha

Sep 9, 2013, 12:07:12 AM9/9/13
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 18:14:59 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

> BTW: That's a HP Jetdirect 600n and the last Firmware is Version =
> G.08.49 Your Telnet session shows; "G.07.20" so it could be upgraded.
> However it isn't too important and you are just learning about HP
> JetDirect Print Servers.

Thanks for that foreknowledge.

I'll probably keep the "JetDirect" at the current version unless I know
of a reason to change it. I don't want to have to reconfigure the windows
machines if I don't have to. I'm not sure what's transparent and what
isn't, to the windows and Linux machines.

BTW, I think "this" is the JetDirect box on the side of the printer:
http://i40.tinypic.com/25r166w.gif

Right?

Misha

Sep 9, 2013, 12:08:29 AM9/9/13
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 17:51:37 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

> So many folks just update for the sake of update's and getting into
> trouble.

I can't count the number of times I've worried that I've bricked
a device simply upgrading it to the latest firmware.

So I don't disagree with you.

David H. Lipman

Sep 9, 2013, 7:14:37 AM9/9/13
From: "Misha" <Mi...@invalid.com>
Yes, inside that metal cage and under that plastic door.

David H. Lipman

Sep 9, 2013, 7:20:17 AM9/9/13
From: "Misha" <Mi...@invalid.com>
Well I have upgraded hundreds of JetDirects with no sequalae. Either using HP Download
Manager or via HP Web JetAdmin over TCP/IP or with the printer connected via USB or
parallel port. I keep HP Download Manager on my notebook with all the JetDirect Firmware
files so I can download the latest Firmware to client printers as needed.

If the printer has power and you leave it alone for the time it takes to download the
Firmware to the printer, it will work as expected.

tra...@optonline.net

Sep 9, 2013, 9:14:43 AM9/9/13
In Windows, if you go to the printer section of control panel,
find the printer, under the advanced options, you can adjust
various print settings, including the darkness. At least you
can with my Brother MFC printer.

steve...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2014, 3:42:34 PM1/23/14
This reply comes late, but for those who might search the internet desperately in the future. The solution is easy. HP printers with an ethernet port come preset with TCP/IP values. In the case of the HP 2000DN or in my case 2100TN, a person needs to hold the Power and Reset button on printer at same time for 5 seconds to print out the configuration of the printer.

HP printers are typically set to Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
ASUS routers like the RT-AC66U and RT-AC68U are set to 192.168.1.1

A network cannot mix gateways, they all must agree by the third number value set, 1 or 0. Since the HP printer is fixed with 192.168.0.1, the ASUS router (or any other router for that fact) must be set to match.

From your administrator interface on the router, select LAN > Configure your LAN. Change the value from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1 and click Apply. The router will reset and the DHCP will issue not IP values network wide. Your ethernet computers will roll over after a few seconds. Wireless devices will have to be manually reconnected to the LAN, which is simply a matter of selecting the connection source again.

Download and installed the HP wizard for Windows to connect your computer to the Ethernet connected printer: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&softwareitem=mp-122330-1 or search for hppiw.exe.

If you can see the printer by this software, you know it is connected. Then proceed to download the PCL6 drivers and install. For the Mac, http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?lang=en&cc=us&sp4ts.oid=14956&swItem=lj_57300_1

Oren

Jan 23, 2014, 4:11:52 PM1/23/14
Unless your LAN is using another Non-Routable IP Address

10.0.0.0 through 10.255.255.255