Can you put a dimmer on rope lights?

Steve B

Mar 24, 2011, 11:25:00 AM3/24/11
Well? I'm going to put them on top of a shelf, between 1 x 6's to
illuminate my antique bottle collection from the bottom. Was just wondering
if a dimmer would work. It SHOULD.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

mike

Mar 24, 2011, 12:12:32 PM3/24/11

Yes. I have a rope light hooked up to a touch dimmer thing-a-ma-bob
so I'm not blinded at night. It works beautifully.

Art Todesco

Mar 24, 2011, 12:26:42 PM3/24/11
Should work on most rope lights, however, LED ropes might cause
problems.

Thomas

Mar 24, 2011, 12:52:54 PM3/24/11
Just to add to the conversation, I believe you can cut them to size
every 18 bulbs. I did that for my camper awning. I had a few extra
inches when done but it was better than having 5 extra feet.

Smitty Two

Mar 24, 2011, 2:13:08 PM3/24/11
In article <8nJip.48$B46...@news.usenetserver.com>,
"Steve B" <pittma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

A bottle collection? That's what you want to illuminate? I suggest
wrapping them around your girlfriend's legs for a little mood lighting.

Tony Miklos

Mar 24, 2011, 2:41:20 PM3/24/11
On 3/24/2011 11:25 AM, Steve B wrote:

When renovating a bar my brother put rope lights around the underside of
it for mood lighting. They were too bright and he added a dimmer at
about half brightness. The bulbs have lasted over 20 years so far. Not
a single one burnt out.

Message has been deleted

EXT

Mar 24, 2011, 7:36:43 PM3/24/11

"Steve B" <pittma...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

If it is a 12 volt string or a LED string dimming is a major problem,
however, if it is a 120 volt string, then dimming is easy with a standard
lamp dimmer.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Mar 24, 2011, 9:31:08 PM3/24/11

And dimming with a 12 volt is no problem at all if you use the right
dimmer and it is a "magnetic" transformer. Dimming switch-mode, AKA
electronic transformers is a bit mor problematic (unless you have a
variable output "switcher"

Steve B

Mar 24, 2011, 10:10:30 PM3/24/11

<cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote in message

I have a friend who is a union electrician. He gets lots of "stuff", a lot
of it things that are designated for the dumpster.

When we built my MIL's casita, he brought a transformer the size of a shoe
box, and lines of connected lights. Musta cost a lot, and probably would be
hard to find. Anyway, we put them under and over her cabinets, and it
provides the nicest subtle lighting. It is dimmed, too.

I don't understand what it is, but he does, and I trust him to install.

He brought me 5 metal halide lights with transformers that they took off the
top of a hotel in Vegas. Absolutely makes night into day, and probably in
the $400 per copy range. Really lights up my shop and container area
without it being that harsh white sodium lighting.

And a huge frickin subpanel. And lots of other stuff. All destined for the
dumpster.

It's nice to have friend in the business.

Message has been deleted

Art Todesco

Mar 25, 2011, 8:59:17 AM3/25/11
On 3/25/2011 3:56 AM, j...@myplace.com wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 19:36:43 -0400, "EXT"
> <noe...@reply.in.this.group> wrote:
>
>> If it is a 12 volt string or a LED string dimming is a major problem,
>> however, if it is a 120 volt string, then dimming is easy with a standard
>> lamp dimmer.
>>

> You cant dim LEDs? Why not? They get dim in LED flashlights when the
> batteries are weak.

Well, this had been discussed here before. Actually, you can dim
LEDs, but they are not easy to dim. What I mean is they dim
differently from incandescent lamps. LEDs behave in a pretty linear
fashion, i.e. half the current, you get half the light. But the eye
behaves in a logarithmic manner, so you see a very small difference
at half current. Also, if the voltage across one LED goes below the
forward voltage of the LED, they will quickly go out. So, it
depends on how many LEDs in a series circuit (the total of all the
forward voltages of the LEDs) and how big the series limiting
resistor is. Also, the dimmer might have a very, insignificant to
an incandescent lamp, leakage current. But for LEDs, that might
produce a very small glow at minimum setting. That might be nice
for some thing, but not others. Once LEDs become very common for
house lighting, dimmers and LED lamps will have to be designed to
play with each other nicely.

lawrence alimo

Nov 19, 2016, 10:14:05 AM11/19/16
replying to Art Todesco, lawrence alimo wrote:
Where do I purchase a dimmer for led rope lights

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/can-you-put-a-dimmer-on-rope-lights-626949-.htm

DerbyDad03

Nov 19, 2016, 11:22:07 PM11/19/16
On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 10:14:05 AM UTC-5, lawrence alimo wrote:
> replying to Art Todesco, lawrence alimo wrote:
> Where do I purchase a dimmer for led rope lights

eBay

andrea ordodi

Apr 23, 2018, 6:14:11 PM4/23/18
replying to mike, andrea ordodi wrote:
What type dimmer did you use and where did you find it?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/can-you-put-a-dimmer-on-rope-lights-626949-.htm