Snowblower engine needs choke to run smoothly

Taylor

Feb 5, 2011, 12:20:58 AM2/5/11

My snow blower has a Briggs & Stratton 7.5 hp "Powerbuilt Snow"
horizontal engine. It has always need a little choke to run smoothly
after it warms up. With no choke it runs, but stumbles slightly. With
one click it is a bit smoother, and with two clicks it runs the
smoothest. More than that, there is too much choke and the engine will
die.

Thinking that perhaps something is clogged in the carburetor/jet, I
replaced the whole carb with a new one. The result is exactly the same.

I have fresh gas, use Sta-Bil, etc. I'm not overly worried about it, I
just use two clicks of choke for best power.

However, I suspect that I'm not getting the full 7.5 hp with the choke
restricting air intake. I'm also curious what the problem is. A
repairman said that all engines are tuned lean due to EPA rules. Of
course there is no way to adjust the mixture.

Any ideas what causes this? Is the repairman right about the mixture
set overly lean on purpose?

tra...@optonline.net

Feb 5, 2011, 7:13:27 AM2/5/11

Ii assume this is one of the new carbs that isn't designed to be
easily
adjusted? The point about being set to run lean is interesting. I
have a Sears two stroke blower and it too usually runs best with the
choke set to half on. As soon as you move the choke to off, you can
hear it slow down.

One way for it to be running lean, even with a new carb, is an air
leak,
eg between the carb and manifold, leaking head gasket, etc.

Hank

Feb 5, 2011, 7:59:17 AM2/5/11
On Feb 5, 12:20 am, Taylor <tay...@no.spam> wrote:

If you feel that the carb is not the problem, the next thing to check
(in order) would be manifold gasket, cracked manifold, head gasket,
sticky exhuast valve ( carboned or gummed up not allowing it to close
completely, or closes sluggishly).

Hank

Oren

Feb 5, 2011, 1:04:22 PM2/5/11

I'd check the air filter and be sure it is clean or new. Does it run
better with the filter removed, not needing the choke...

Also look at the spark plug. Adjust the plug gap a little (open or
close it a tad) and see what happens or replace the plug. Make sure
you have the correct/recommenced plug.

Spark Plug Chart:

<http://www.verrill.com/moto/sellingguide/sparkplugs/plugcolorchart.htm>

Twayne

Feb 5, 2011, 3:30:02 PM2/5/11
In news:0l3rk65vibevron8s...@4ax.com,
Oren <Or...@127.0.0.1> typed:
:: On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 00:20:58 -0500, Taylor

:: <tay...@no.spam> wrote:
::
:::
::: My snow blower has a Briggs & Stratton 7.5 hp "Powerbuilt
::: Snow" horizontal engine. It has always need a little
::: choke to run smoothly after it warms up. With no choke
::: it runs, but stumbles slightly. With one click it is a
::: bit smoother, and with two clicks it runs the smoothest.
::: More than that, there is too much choke and the engine
::: will die.

Mal-adjusted choke position; no-choke is bringing it backwards, partly
closing in the opposite direction. Watch the flapper work with air filter
removed. Note: Tuning will be different with air filter removed so don't
forget to account for that.

:::
::: Thinking that perhaps something is clogged in the

::: carburetor/jet, I replaced the whole carb with a new one.
::: The result is exactly the same.

Did you check for full fuel-flow from the tank to the filter and filter to
the carb? Partial plug or kink in the hose can pinch off gas supply partly &
make run lean.

:::
::: I have fresh gas, use Sta-Bil, etc. I'm not overly

::: worried about it, I just use two clicks of choke for best
::: power.

Empty tank & refill with fresh gas newly purchased. If this is last year's
gas it could do that, especially if there is an over abundance of Stabil in
the gas.

:::
::: However, I suspect that I'm not getting the full 7.5 hp

::: with the choke restricting air intake. I'm also curious
::: what the problem is. A repairman said that all engines
::: are tuned lean due to EPA rules. Of course there is no
::: way to adjust the mixture.

I suggest he's blowing smoke; that's still no reason to have the choke to
any position but OFF when the engine has warmed up.

If it has a carburator and burns gasoline, there most definitely IS a way to
adjust the mixture!! Check the carb documentation or the machine's
paperwork.

:::
::: Any ideas what causes this? Is the repairman right about

::: the mixture set overly lean on purpose?

I think he just wanted you off the phone. Irrelevant to what you're having
to do to keep it running right.

:::
:::
:::
::
:: I'd check the air filter and be sure it is clean or new.

:: Does it run better with the filter removed, not needing
:: the choke...
::
:: Also look at the spark plug. Adjust the plug gap a little
:: (open or close it a tad) and see what happens or replace
:: the plug. Make sure you have the correct/recommenced plug.

Better to check/adjust the plug gap to precisely what it is supposed to be.
Usually it's 0.030" for that size B&S in my experience.

::
:: Spark Plug Chart:
::
:: <http://www.verrill.com/moto/sellingguide/sparkplugs/plugcolorchart.htm>

Air filter, fuel filter (if you find water, also the gas tank), choke
flapper needs adjust, lo-speed screw, low-oil shutoff, fuel line partly
plugged, and so on.

Does it start easy and then run rough, or is it also hard to start? Stabil
makes them hard to start, especially if excessive amount is collected in the
carb. bowl.

HTH,

Twayne`

Oren

Feb 5, 2011, 4:55:11 PM2/5/11
On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 15:30:02 -0500, "Twayne"
<nob...@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote:

>If it has a carburator and burns gasoline, there most definitely IS a way to
>adjust the mixture!! Check the carb documentation or the machine's
>paperwork.

Agreed! I've _never_ seen a B&S engine that did not allow for
air/fuel mixture adjustment (since I was knee-high to a grasshopper).

OP: enter essential information here, find the link for the
machine/parts/exploded view and post it.

<http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engines/support.aspx>

Ed Pawlowski

Feb 5, 2011, 5:52:19 PM2/5/11
?
"Oren" <Or...@127.0.0.1> wrote

> Agreed! I've _never_ seen a B&S engine that did not allow for
> air/fuel mixture adjustment (since I was knee-high to a grasshopper).

Have you seen the newer engines? Many no longer have the two screws that
allow you to adjust the carb like days gone by.

From the Tecumseh manual, page 13 http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf
A main or idle adjustment needle may be replaced by an
internally fixed jet on some models.
The main nozzle contains a ball check valve. The main
purpose of this ball check is to eliminate air being drawn
down the main nozzle during idle speeds and leaning the
idle mixture.

Ed Pawlowski

Feb 5, 2011, 5:53:45 PM2/5/11
?
"Twayne" <nob...@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote

> If it has a carburator and burns gasoline, there most definitely IS a way
> to adjust the mixture!! Check the carb documentation or the machine's
> paperwork.

http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf
See page 13. No adjustment on many new carbs

Oren

Feb 5, 2011, 6:24:28 PM2/5/11
On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 17:52:19 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snetnospam.net>
wrote:

No. Never saw that before. Learned something today...

Maybe the OP will tell us if he has a Tecumseh carb on his B&S engine.
It would be interesting to know exactly what he has.

In any account he should not need to run his engine with the choke on.

Ed Pawlowski

Feb 5, 2011, 7:43:29 PM2/5/11
?
"Oren" <Or...@127.0.0.1> wrote

>>From the Tecumseh manual, page 13 http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf
>>A main or idle adjustment needle may be replaced by an
>>internally fixed jet on some models.

> No. Never saw that before. Learned something today...
>
> Maybe the OP will tell us if he has a Tecumseh carb on his B&S engine.
> It would be interesting to know exactly what he has.
>
> In any account he should not need to run his engine with the choke on.

Many engines have that feature today to avoid the environmental police.
Yes, he should not have to put the choke on, but it may just be a linkage
adjustment to get the choke truly off. Can't tell from here.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Feb 5, 2011, 10:19:21 PM2/5/11
On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 00:20:58 -0500, Taylor <tay...@no.spam> wrote:

Combined with ethanol in the gas, which causes a lean condition. Try
running premium gas and see if that helps - particulatly shell premium
if you happen to be in Canada.
With Canadian Shell they put ethanol in the regular at up to 10%,
which means up to 5% in mid grade and nothing in premium.

Works for me.
Otherwise you will need to open up one of the fixed jets in the carb a
bit. Not easy, but not impossible.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Feb 5, 2011, 10:22:54 PM2/5/11
On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 10:04:22 -0800, Oren <Or...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 00:20:58 -0500, Taylor <tay...@no.spam> wrote:
>

>>My snow blower has a Briggs & Stratton 7.5 hp "Powerbuilt Snow"
>>horizontal engine. It has always need a little choke to run smoothly
>>after it warms up. With no choke it runs, but stumbles slightly. With
>>one click it is a bit smoother, and with two clicks it runs the
>>smoothest. More than that, there is too much choke and the engine will
>>die.
>>
>>Thinking that perhaps something is clogged in the carburetor/jet, I
>>replaced the whole carb with a new one. The result is exactly the same.
>>
>>I have fresh gas, use Sta-Bil, etc. I'm not overly worried about it, I
>>just use two clicks of choke for best power.
>>
>>However, I suspect that I'm not getting the full 7.5 hp with the choke
>>restricting air intake. I'm also curious what the problem is. A
>>repairman said that all engines are tuned lean due to EPA rules. Of
>>course there is no way to adjust the mixture.
>>
>>Any ideas what causes this? Is the repairman right about the mixture
>>set overly lean on purpose?
>>

>I'd check the air filter and be sure it is clean or new. Does it run
>better with the filter removed, not needing the choke...

Air filter being plugged would cause the OPPOSITE problem. You can be
assured this is NOT the problem.

However, many engines are set up thet they NEED an air filter to be
properly calibrated, and the vast majority of snow blower engines do
NOT have an air filter (because it would very quickly freeze up, and
there is very little free dust in the air when it is snowing/snowy

>Also look at the spark plug. Adjust the plug gap a little (open or
>close it a tad) and see what happens or replace the plug. Make sure
>you have the correct/recommenced plug.
>
>Spark Plug Chart:
>
><http://www.verrill.com/moto/sellingguide/sparkplugs/plugcolorchart.htm>

Again, very unlikely to be the problem. The plug will likely indicate
it is running lean, but with unleaded gas, reading a plug is much less
effective.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Feb 5, 2011, 10:26:49 PM2/5/11
On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 15:30:02 -0500, "Twayne"
<nob...@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote:

Not neccessarily so. There is NO adjustable jet on that carburetor. It
may or may not have a removeable/replaceable jet. The jet CAN be
drilled to a larger size, but there will be no documentation in the
manual to tell you how.

>:::
>::: Any ideas what causes this? Is the repairman right about
>::: the mixture set overly lean on purpose?
>
>I think he just wanted you off the phone. Irrelevant to what you're having
>to do to keep it running right.

I WOULD go with a tank of fresh ethanol free fuel as a first step, if
ethanol free fuel is a vailable in your area. If not, you could be
stuck living with it or properly drilling out the jet.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Feb 5, 2011, 10:28:30 PM2/5/11

The last 5 or more years there is no adjustment provided.
It is an EPA thing.
Might be able to put on an earlier carb or modify the current one with
old parts.

Dean Hoffman

Feb 5, 2011, 10:43:19 PM2/5/11
Thayne's suggestions about lack of fuel seem the most likely. Does
it have a fuel filter? On-off for the fuel? Have you tried running it
with the gas tank cap loose or off? Any chance of anything plugging
the fuel outlet of the fuel tank?

Taylor

Feb 5, 2011, 11:32:48 PM2/5/11

Because it is a snow blower, there is no air filter. The carburetor is
inside a "snow hood" which is designed to help it stay warm and prevent
icing. There is nothing that I can tell is plugging the fuel outlet,
and there is no shut off. I'll try running it with the gas cap off.

There are no adjustments on the carb either.

Thanks everyone!

Stormin Mormon

Feb 6, 2011, 8:10:14 AM2/6/11
What's likely the problem, is a bad gasket between the carb
and the engine. If there is a gasket, put on some Permatex
#IIa, non hardening gasket sealer. Might be sucking air from
the gasket, which is after the carb. This is a common
problem, and the symptom is usually "won't start unless I
pour some gas in the air intake".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Taylor" <tay...@no.spam> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Feb 6, 2011, 8:11:22 AM2/6/11
Dirty air filter does much the same as closing the choke a
bit. You've got it backwards.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren" <Or...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> [...]

notbob

Feb 6, 2011, 8:32:30 AM2/6/11
On 2011-02-06, cl...@snyder.on.ca <cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote:

> Might be able to put on an earlier carb or modify the current one with
> old parts.

Bigger hammer and electric drill.

nb

notbob

Feb 6, 2011, 8:45:39 AM2/6/11
On 2011-02-06, cl...@snyder.on.ca <cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote:

> Air filter being plugged would cause the OPPOSITE problem. You can be
> assured this is NOT the problem.

Bingo! More likely, look for an air leak in the intake tract.

> However, many engines are set up thet they NEED an air filter to be
> properly calibrated, and the vast majority of snow blower engines do
> NOT have an air filter (because it would very quickly freeze up, and
> there is very little free dust in the air when it is snowing/snowy

Howzabout some sorta moisture trap/thingie that could leak air? I
know spit about snow blowers.

> Again, very unlikely to be the problem. The plug will likely indicate
> it is running lean, but with unleaded gas, reading a plug is much less
> effective.

Reading a plug is incredibly effective. Just how lean, right down to
engine destruction, can be determined. OTOH, if activating the choke
is required, we already know it's running too lean. Again, I'd be
looking for some sorta air leak.

nb

ransley

Feb 6, 2011, 8:50:17 AM2/6/11

Ive never seen a snow blower with an air filter as others state they
have, it would get wet and restrict air thats why they dont have them,
an air filter will make it run richer needing less choke, not more.

How do you know the carb isnt just a poor rebuild, ive seen 6 bad
starters in a row. It isnt getting enough fuel or it has an air leak
at the manifold or maybe somethings cracked or loose letting in air. I
would check the seal if the gasket and check everything. You could
take it apart and run wire through the jets to see if they are
actualy clean and blow it out with compressed air or put in in carb
boil, or enlarge the main jet a bit, but be carefull. Ususaly needing
a choke means you need a carb cleaning from old gas varnishing the
jets, Ive a a bit of dirt logged in a passage do that and compressed
air fixed it.

Stormin Mormon

Oren

Feb 6, 2011, 2:18:24 PM2/6/11
On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 22:22:54 -0500, cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote:

>the vast majority of snow blower engines do
>NOT have an air filter (because it would very quickly freeze up,

I've read that here before and can't figure why I keep banging my head
on the wall ;-)

Thanks

Stormin Mormon

Feb 6, 2011, 6:15:09 PM2/6/11
The earth is coated with snow, so the air is relatively
clean. Opposed to lawn mowers, when the purpose of the
machine is to whomp on the earth, castign up clouds of dust.

Hint: Don't run the lawn mower and the AC at the same time.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren" <Or...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

Jules Richardson

Feb 7, 2011, 9:19:09 AM2/7/11
On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 08:51:39 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

> What's likely the problem, is a bad gasket between the carb and the
> engine.

For the slightly-larger B+S engines, checking the torque on the head
bolts is part of the routine maintenance; they do sometimes loosen up.
They're really heavy-duty gaskets and, as far as I can tell, designed to
be re-usable - you can take the head off to inspect everything, clean up,
and put the same gasket back on again. Unless, perhaps, someone's gooped
it up with sealer ;-)

cheers

Jules

Stormin Mormon

Feb 7, 2011, 11:39:46 AM2/7/11
Last I checked, BS used gaskets that are pretty guaranteed
to be single use. But, who can tell. Maybe the quality has
improved?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jules Richardson" <jules.richa...@gmail.com> wrote
in message news:iiov0t$ssd$3...@news.eternal-september.org...

Twayne

Feb 7, 2011, 2:22:39 PM2/7/11
In news:0qstk6dt1smoa0viu...@4ax.com,
Oren <Or...@127.0.0.1> typed:
:: On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 22:22:54 -0500, cl...@snyder.on.ca

My Ariens have air filters; both of them. One is 20+ years, the other about
3 years. Neighbor's Sunbeam has one. They never plug even when it's pushed
right in underneath the snow that's too deep for it. Once the engine starts
to warm up, nothing is going to freeze anything shut. They're not very
complex filters; just enough to keep junk from going in.

Others however don't have air filters. Whether that's most or a few, I
don't know. Point is, statements should never be "always" or "all" or
"never". On Ariens, the filter is part of the cover over the carb's air
entry shroud.

Twayne

Feb 7, 2011, 2:29:12 PM2/7/11
In news:22960bea-08a6-4c73...@p12g2000vbo.googlegroups.com,
ransley <mark.ra...@gmail.com> typed:

: On Feb 4, 11:20 pm, Taylor <tay...@no.spam> wrote:
:: My snow blower has a Briggs & Stratton 7.5 hp "Powerbuilt
:: Snow" horizontal engine. It has always need a little
:: choke to run smoothly after it warms up. With no choke it
:: runs, but stumbles slightly. With one click it is a bit
:: smoother, and with two clicks it runs the smoothest. More
:: than that, there is too much choke and the engine will die.

No, mine have filters. It's part of the can that covers the carb air intake
and has the choke handle sticking out of it. They have never been plugged by
anything. You must have heatless engines.

::
:: Thinking that perhaps something is clogged in the

It's interesting how some of the basics get ignored like the gas tank outlet
covered with dirt or water, hoses plugged or kinked & not getting fuel TO
the bowl in sufficient quantity, or even the float stuck (or sinking?) and
so on. No one has even yet mentioned checking the bowl to see if it's
filling or rate of output, all that easy kind of stuff.

Jules Richardson

Feb 7, 2011, 3:39:20 PM2/7/11
On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 11:39:46 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

> Last I checked, BS used gaskets that are pretty guaranteed to be single
> use. But, who can tell. Maybe the quality has improved?

No, seen it on old ones - very heavy-duty silver gaskets that don't seem
to have compressed at all when removed. Taking the head off was also a
routine maintenance thing, which makes me think they're supposed to be
good for at least a few cycles.

All of the other gaskets on their engines are pretty thin in my
experience and aren't intended to survive removal, but the head one's a
real monster given the size of the engine.

cheers

Jules

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Feb 7, 2011, 4:19:29 PM2/7/11

It is a screen fine enough to keep the squirrels from making a nest,
and that is about it. I have an 8hp Briggs snowblower engine sitting
in the garage and it has about 1/4 or 5/15 inch holes.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Feb 7, 2011, 4:25:04 PM2/7/11
On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 14:29:12 -0500, "Twayne"
<nob...@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote:

>In news:22960bea-08a6-4c73...@p12g2000vbo.googlegroups.com,
>ransley <mark.ra...@gmail.com> typed:
>: On Feb 4, 11:20 pm, Taylor <tay...@no.spam> wrote:
>:: My snow blower has a Briggs & Stratton 7.5 hp "Powerbuilt
>:: Snow" horizontal engine. It has always need a little
>:: choke to run smoothly after it warms up. With no choke it
>:: runs, but stumbles slightly. With one click it is a bit
>:: smoother, and with two clicks it runs the smoothest. More
>:: than that, there is too much choke and the engine will die.
>
>No, mine have filters. It's part of the can that covers the carb air intake
>and has the choke handle sticking out of it. They have never been plugged by
>anything. You must have heatless engines.
>
>::

Funny, none of mine have EVER had filters and I've owned snowblowers
for over 30 years, and worked on them for 10 years before that. ALL
have had "heated air intake" shrouds.

Are your filters paper or foam elements?
Got any part numbers?
Possibly engines have been replaced with non-snow-blower engines(like
tiller, edger, lawnmower, etc)

Most, except for the flow from the tank, would be addressed by
replacing the carb - which the OP did.
NOW - if he put a NON SNO BLOWER CARB on, it WILL run lean without an
air filter.

And a SINKING cab float will NOT cause the engine to run lean and
require choking to run when warm. Just stop and think about it for a
second, or even a half second. A sunk float RAISES the fuel level in
the bowl, causing flooding, rich running, dripping from the carb,
etc................

Oren

Feb 7, 2011, 6:16:46 PM2/7/11
On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 16:25:04 -0500, cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote:

>And a SINKING cab float will NOT cause the engine to run lean and
>require choking to run when warm. Just stop and think about it for a
>second, or even a half second. A sunk float RAISES the fuel level in
>the bowl, causing flooding, rich running, dripping from the carb,
>etc................

...and a wet spark plug

LSMFT

Feb 7, 2011, 7:59:43 PM2/7/11
Taylor wrote:

> My snow blower has a Briggs & Stratton 7.5 hp "Powerbuilt Snow"
> horizontal engine. It has always need a little choke to run smoothly
> after it warms up. With no choke it runs, but stumbles slightly. With
> one click it is a bit smoother, and with two clicks it runs the
> smoothest. More than that, there is too much choke and the engine will die.
>
> Thinking that perhaps something is clogged in the carburetor/jet, I
> replaced the whole carb with a new one. The result is exactly the same.
>
> I have fresh gas, use Sta-Bil, etc. I'm not overly worried about it, I
> just use two clicks of choke for best power.
>
> However, I suspect that I'm not getting the full 7.5 hp with the choke
> restricting air intake. I'm also curious what the problem is. A
> repairman said that all engines are tuned lean due to EPA rules. Of
> course there is no way to adjust the mixture.
>
> Any ideas what causes this? Is the repairman right about the mixture set
> overly lean on purpose?

Find the fuel adjustment screw. Open it just a touch.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Feb 7, 2011, 8:08:54 PM2/7/11

- which is part of the etc............
but usually the carb is low enough that the raw gas runs out, rather
than into the carb, so it only gets wet if you try too hard to start
it.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Feb 7, 2011, 8:55:02 PM2/7/11

Real good idea, except that particular carb/engine doesn't have one.

LSMFT

Feb 7, 2011, 11:29:52 PM2/7/11
cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 19:59:43 -0500, LSMFT<LS...@teranews.com> wrote:
>
>> Taylor wrote:
>>>
>>> My snow blower has a Briggs& Stratton 7.5 hp "Powerbuilt Snow"
Same on a motorcycle. You have to drill out some metal to get at the
adjustment screw.

Ed Pawlowski

Feb 8, 2011, 5:59:51 AM2/8/11
?
"LSMFT" <LS...@teranews.com> wrote

>>> Find the fuel adjustment screw. Open it just a touch.
>> Real good idea, except that particular carb/engine doesn't have one.
> Same on a motorcycle. You have to drill out some metal to get at the
> adjustment screw.

The Tecumseh service book points out they now use a different jet instead of
adjusting screw. Nothing to drill. I suspect Briggs and others use the same
system.

LSMFT

Feb 8, 2011, 9:30:24 AM2/8/11

Thank the EPA for taking away our adjusting screws. Everything is built
for morons these days.

notbob

Feb 8, 2011, 10:34:48 AM2/8/11
On 2011-02-08, LSMFT <LS...@teranews.com> wrote:

> Thank the EPA for taking away our adjusting screws. Everything is built
> for morons these days.

It's the larger market share.

Worse than "morons" are the "I'm right" morons, those morons who are
positive they have the problem figured and nothing will dissuade them.
When I was a motorcycle mechanic, use to get those types coming in all
the time.

"It's the carburetor!"
"Well, in the case of a 2-stroke...."
"It's the carburetor!"
"It's been my experience it could also be...."
"It's the carburetor!"
....etc ;)

nb

Stormin Mormon

Feb 8, 2011, 10:38:55 AM2/8/11
Next, will be non polluting electric snow blowers.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"LSMFT" <LS...@teranews.com> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Feb 8, 2011, 10:44:20 AM2/8/11
As a refrigeration repair guy. I've actually had this
conversation:

Customer: This one needs six pounds of freon, and this one
needs eight pounds.
Me: Well, lets check things out. See what's going on in
there.
Customer: Just add the freon like I said.
Me: The system holds two pounds at best. I couldn't fit six
pounds in, if I tried.
Customer: The last guy added six pounds.
Me: (goes to van, gets catalog) the receiver on this unit
holds 1.3 pounds, the rest of the system wouldn't hold more
than a couple ounces.
Customer: Well, you gonna add the freon or not?

I found the system loaded with air, but he wouldn't let me
pump it out and vacuum out the air. Just wanted me to add
six pounds to this one, and eight pounds to the other one.
The freezer I'd worked on the day before had bad piston, on
two cylinder compressor. But he wouldn't hear of a
compressor replacement. Just wanted more pounds of freon.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"notbob" <not...@notbob.invalid> wrote in message

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Feb 8, 2011, 3:49:24 PM2/8/11

No, unlike the motorcycle, and early emission carbs on cars, there IS
NO SCREW. Get that through your head. NO ADJUSTABLE JET.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Feb 8, 2011, 3:50:07 PM2/8/11
On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 05:59:51 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snetnospam.net>
wrote:

The jet can still be drilled. But it is not a simple job.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Feb 8, 2011, 3:51:05 PM2/8/11

Well, since it is a 4 stroke, it's not a leaky crankshaft seal, at
least.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Feb 8, 2011, 3:52:29 PM2/8/11
On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:38:55 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
<cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Next, will be non polluting electric snow blowers.

They call them "electric snow shovels"- and larger "electric blowers"
(single stage) have been around since the late sixties.

notbob

Feb 8, 2011, 4:24:04 PM2/8/11
On 2011-02-05, Taylor <tay...@no.spam> wrote:
> horizontal engine. It has always need a little choke to run smoothly
> after it warms up.

Looks like B&S has excellent online product support. I'd start here:

http://tinyurl.com/45oq9x4

Note the "Carburetion Troubleshooting Quick Reference Guide (PDF)." in
2nd paragraph down.

nb

Ed Pawlowski

Feb 8, 2011, 6:12:54 PM2/8/11
?
<cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote in message

If you go too far, just undrill it

Message has been deleted

Dan B

Feb 11, 2011, 5:26:09 PM2/11/11
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Snowblower-engine-needs-choke-to-run-smoothly-619564-.htm
Dan B wrote:

j...@myplace.com wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 00:20:58 -0500, Taylor <tay...@no.spam> wrote:

>>My snow blower has a Briggs & Stratton 7.5 hp \"Powerbuilt
>> Snow\"

>>horizontal engine. It has always need a little choke to run
>> smoothly

>>after it warms up. With no choke it runs, but stumbles slightly.
>> With
>>one click it is a bit smoother, and with two clicks it runs the
>>smoothest. More than that, there is too much choke and the engine
>> will
>>die.
>>
>>Thinking that perhaps something is clogged in the carburetor/jet, I

>>replaced the whole carb with a new one. The result is exactly the
>> same.
>>
>>I have fresh gas, use Sta-Bil, etc. I\'m not overly worried about
>> it, I
>>just use two clicks of choke for best power.
>>
>>However, I suspect that I\'m not getting the full 7.5 hp with the
>> choke
>>restricting air intake. I\'m also curious what the problem is. A
>>repairman said that all engines are tuned lean due to EPA rules.
>> Of
>>course there is no way to adjust the mixture.
>>
>>Any ideas what causes this? Is the repairman right about the
>> mixture
>>set overly lean on purpose?
>>

> I had a farm tractor do the same thing. It would not keep running
> unless it was fully choked. I swapped the carb with another one known
> to be good. Changed fuel filter and checked all fuel lines for a
> blockage. I finally found out the valve where the fuel line connects
> to the gas tank was filled with crud. I had to drain the gas, remove
> the valve and dismantle it. Put it all back together and all is
> fine....

> You are NOT getting enough gas, you need to find out why. Start at
> the gas tank and work all the way into the engine. I could have saved
> a lot of time had I known it was just that valve. Your gas tank may
> have a screen in it at the place the line is connected.

-------------------------------------

Briggs Engine

Feb 11, 2011, 5:34:38 PM2/11/11

To set this all straight the carburetor that is on your engine does not
have any type of adjustment on it, it has a fixed main jet with no
adjustment screws. If you engine is still surging slightly when idling
that will be normal. The only thing you will want to worry about is if
it surging under load. If it is surging while under load there is an
issue at hand. I would check like the said the intake gaskets. The
engine that you have since it is a snow engine will not have an air
filter on it, it may however have a screen over the throat of the
carburetor. The engines are not set lean from the factory, this type of
a running condition could cause serious damage to the inside of the
engine. I hope that this was able to assist you with the questions that
you have.

If you have any further questions call our engine Answer Center at
800-444-7774, M-F 8-5PM CST.

For Briggs & Stratton Branded Power Products questions call our Answer
Center at 800-743-4115, M-F 8-5PM CST.

--
Briggs Engine
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Andrew Spearns

Mar 1, 2011, 11:11:23 AM3/1/11
http://www.youtube.com/user/donyboy73#p/search/21/HjzasttXpMU

This guy has some good videos on small engines...

My Craftsman with a Tecumseh engine was running as the OP stated, it needed the choke on to run smoothly. Mine had to be on the 1st click, where 0 clicks is off, and 3 clicks is full choke. If I turned the choke off, the machine would stall out.

I have one of these non-adjustable carbs, and followed that video. Turn off the gas line, run the machine dry, then unscrew that bolt and clean the holes with a piece of wire. Should help a little, it did for me. The jet was a little dirty for whatever reason (stagnant fuel, dirt in jerry can, etc...)

I may be completely out to lunch, but please, no torching.

Message has been deleted

Andrew Spearns

Mar 4, 2011, 11:44:57 AM3/4/11
Posted that from Google Groups... no fixing possible that I can tell.

pwer...@hotmail.com

Feb 3, 2015, 9:19:14 AM2/3/15
I just bought a Craftsman snowblower model 247.889720 with the 208 cc "quiet" motor. I had a similar problem--uneven running with the choke supposedly open. I found that the dial for the choke has confusing markings. Straight up and down is usually a full open choke. In this case, a full right turn is a closed choke, up and down is half choke, and all the way to the left is the open-choke, running position. Very unusual. At first, from the markings, I thought left and right turns closed the choke. It was functioning but not running smoothly in the up and down position, could smell lots of unburned gas and the fuel consumption seemed very high. On this model there appears to be no air filter and it would take a lot of disassembly to actually see the choke blade in the carburetor. I decided to experiment with the full left position and that cured the problem--smooth running and no smell of unburned gas from an over-rich mix due to the choke being half closed.

thekma...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2015, 9:36:16 AM2/3/15
My old yellow & green 21" Yardman that I inherited was getting
so bad it actually ran strongest with choke closed(full choke)!
And even then for only 5-10 minutes at a time before it would
not stay running at all and then I'd have to finish the driveway
the old fashion way. :(

Local small engine shop threw everything they could at it,
still would not stay running, and the only way to start it, in
any temperature, was via the electrical outlet start.

Terry Coombs

Feb 3, 2015, 10:34:30 AM2/3/15
What the machine needed is a new carb , or a thorough cleaning of the old
one . Most times they don't pull the plugs and clean the passages as they
should . Crud and varnish in those tiny passages restricts fuel flow , thus
the need for full choke to keep it running . Then a flake of that crud comes
loose and completely blocks that passage , and no amount of choke will work
until the detergents in the fuel dissolve that blockage ... I recently
replaced the one on my weedeater and one of the chainsaws because it was as
cheap as the rebuild kits . Both run almost like new now .
--
Snag

Stormin Mormon

Feb 3, 2015, 2:17:07 PM2/3/15
Can't see it from here, but that *CAN* be a
bad gasket between the carb and the engine.

Might also have bad (inadequate) valve
clearance, which is just as likely as the bad
carb gasket.

I'd ask the shop to check those two. Needs a
bit of Permatex IIb non hardening sealer on
the carb gasket.

Valve clearance is typically .010 intake,
.020 exhaust, both measured at top dead center
where the valves should both be full closed.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

bob_villa

Feb 3, 2015, 2:23:29 PM2/3/15
I think he's saying that the instructions or markings don't make sense...as he can't see the choke plate. (usually seen from below the carb air warmer box)

Stormin Mormon

Feb 3, 2015, 4:11:50 PM2/3/15
I've read through this post a couple more times,
I don't see that.

bob_villa

Feb 3, 2015, 5:42:06 PM2/3/15

Stormin Mormon

Feb 3, 2015, 6:09:02 PM2/3/15
=======================================
Stormy says....
Lets properly attibute:
=======================================

My old yellow & green 21" Yardman that I inherited was getting
so bad it actually ran strongest with choke closed(full choke)!
And even then for only 5-10 minutes at a time before it would
not stay running at all and then I'd have to finish the driveway
the old fashion way. :(

Local small engine shop threw everything they could at it,
still would not stay running, and the only way to start it, in
any temperature, was via the electrical outlet start.

====================================

Please note that pwrpath's text appeared NOWHERE
in the post that I was replying.

Do be more careful, please.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Feb 3, 2015, 7:15:29 PM2/3/15
Well, I can trithfully say that in 50 years I have NEVER seen a choke
that was open in the center position - NEVER.
Virtually all close counter-clockwize -

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Feb 3, 2015, 7:17:15 PM2/3/15
And the overwhelmingly vast majority of "snow" engines do not have
an air cleaner. Most of the L-Head engines also have a "pre-heater"
built into the air intake. Both are to prevent icing the intake up
solid, choking the poor engine to death.

bob_villa

Feb 3, 2015, 8:33:12 PM2/3/15
Try "unhide quoted text" from my post (for some reason hidden). I believe he is NOT sure what position the choke is at...and is experimenting without looking at the choke position. He needs to look at it...you on the other hand, are on a different planet...possibly Uranus.

Stormin Mormon

Feb 4, 2015, 7:32:41 AM2/4/15
If you can't figure out quoted text, not sure you
can figure any thing out. Plonk!

thekma...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2015, 9:15:22 AM2/4/15
I'll tell all of you something:

I'm just glad in my case that I no longer own that
Yardman thing(MTD). The 3-pos choke lever - up
and down - had no graphics on it OR in the owner's
manual, of which position was full choke or full
lean! How stupid is that?

My new Ariens on the other hand is so well marked
even my cats could start it - in the dark. LOL

TomR

Feb 4, 2015, 12:14:48 PM2/4/15
In news:mQaAw.1593141$yK.12...@fx14.iad,
Stormin Mormon <cayo...@hotmail.com> typed:
>> I think he's saying that the instructions or
>> markings don't make sense...as he can't see the
>> choke plate. (usually seen from below the carb
>> air warmer box)

> I've read through this post a couple more times,
> I don't see that.

Stormy,

I think you must have missed that in the original (and only) post that the
OP write which said,

[...]

So, the comment above that said,

">> I think he's saying that the instructions or
>> markings don't make sense...as he can't see the
>> choke plate. (usually seen from below the carb
>> air warmer box)"

made sense to me and seemed to be correct.

bob_villa

Feb 4, 2015, 12:23:55 PM2/4/15
This guy also has an MTD and is posting on the Sears help forum...so we will have to wait and see.

thekma...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2015, 12:46:08 PM2/4/15
12:23 PMbob_villa wrote:
This guy also has an MTD and is posting on the Sears help forum...so we will
have to wait and see. "

So this thread is also being read - and contributed to, from a Sears help forum?
Explains some of the confusion here.

BTW by "this guy also has an MTD" I assume you mean me(kmanrocks)?

bob_villa

Feb 4, 2015, 2:09:34 PM2/4/15
The prefix of the his model is MTD on the Sears list of suppliers.

Stormin Mormon

Feb 4, 2015, 2:44:04 PM2/4/15
On 2/4/2015 12:14 PM, TomR wrote:

> Stormy,
>
> I think you must have missed that in the original (and only) post that the
> OP write which said,
>
> "I just bought a Craftsman snowblower model 247.889720 with the 208 cc
> "quiet" motor. I had a similar problem--uneven running with the choke
> supposedly open. I found that the dial for the choke has confusing markings.
> Straight up and down is usually a full open choke. In this case, a full
> right turn is a closed choke, up and down is half choke, and all the way to
> the left is the open-choke, running position. Very unusual. At first, from
> the markings, I thought left and right turns closed the choke. It was
> functioning but not running smoothly in the up and down position, could
> smell lots of unburned gas and the fuel consumption seemed very high. On
> this model there appears to be no air filter and it would take a lot of
> disassembly to actually see the choke blade in the carburetor. I decided to
> experiment with the full left position and that cured the problem--smooth
> running and no smell of unburned gas from an over-rich mix due to the choke
> being half closed."
>
> So, the comment above that said,
>
> ">> I think he's saying that the instructions or
>>> markings don't make sense...as he can't see the
>>> choke plate. (usually seen from below the carb
>>> air warmer box)"
>
> made sense to me and seemed to be correct.

Powerpost had a Re: in the subject line, so
that's not the original post. Original
poster is Tkmanrocks, or some similar spelling.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

bob_villa

Feb 4, 2015, 2:52:05 PM2/4/15
On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 1:44:04 PM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:

> Powerpost had a Re: in the subject line, so
> that's not the original post. Original
> poster is Tkmanrocks, or some similar spelling.

Probably Obama's fault...

Oren

Feb 4, 2015, 3:03:03 PM2/4/15
On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 11:52:01 -0800 (PST), bob_villa
<pheeh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Probably Obama's fault...

I agree.

Oren

Feb 4, 2015, 3:06:24 PM2/4/15
On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 07:32:50 -0500, Stormin Mormon
<cayo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>If you can't figure out quoted text, not sure you
>can figure any thing out. Plonk!

Look! A Plonkasaurus....

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Feb 4, 2015, 3:59:52 PM2/4/15
You better put a cat-proof ignition switch on it or hide the keys -
preferably in a mnouse-hole (where the cat's will NEVER look!!)