China cabinet lock jammed

Ted Borck

Aug 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/1/99
Our Reproduction/Antique china cabinet lock is jammed.

Our maid put the key in the lock of the china cabinet, and locked it.

The key is now stuck at the 2:00 - 3:00 position (approx 15% of rotation
is possible).

When the keyhole is examined using a flashlight, the metal plate making
up the door side of the lock assembly, has a cutout at the 6:00 position,
to allow insertion and removal of the key. And another similar cutout is
at the 3:00 position behind the door wood. The doors are wood frame with
glass inserts.

The lock looks like a typical lever type lock assembly, although I'm
obviously no expert.

The key looks like the type we called a "skeleton key" when I was growing
up.

I can't remove the doors, as the door hinge pins can not be removed without
damaging the wood trim.

I do all the other lock work at my house (e.g. re-key existing locks
when house keys were stolen), but this one has me stumped.

Does anyone have any suggestions (wife is tapping her foot in the
background <g>) on what to do, Newsgroups, books, web sites?

Ted Borck tbo...@netcom.com

Ed

Aug 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/1/99

Ted Borck wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions (wife is tapping her foot in the
> background <g>) on what to do, Newsgroups, books, web sites?

Locksmith.

Tom Bach

Aug 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/1/99

Ted Borck (tbo...@netcom12.netcom.com) writes:
> Our Reproduction/Antique china cabinet lock is jammed.
>
> (clipped)
>

> Ted Borck tbo...@netcom.com

Try whooshing in some WD40 with the fine tubing attached to the
nozzle. The lock was free when last locked, so it shouldn't be
badly siezed. Such locks are not complicated, might just need the
help of a lubrication to come loose.

LockSmith

Aug 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/1/99
Sounds like the guy that bought some key blanks from me because he does all his
own
lock work,now he is bringing the lock over because the keys he made don't work.

Ted Borck wrote:

> Our Reproduction/Antique china cabinet lock is jammed.
>

> Our maid put the key in the lock of the china cabinet, and locked it.
>
> The key is now stuck at the 2:00 - 3:00 position (approx 15% of rotation
> is possible).
>
> When the keyhole is examined using a flashlight, the metal plate making
> up the door side of the lock assembly, has a cutout at the 6:00 position,
> to allow insertion and removal of the key. And another similar cutout is
> at the 3:00 position behind the door wood. The doors are wood frame with
> glass inserts.
>
> The lock looks like a typical lever type lock assembly, although I'm
> obviously no expert.
>
> The key looks like the type we called a "skeleton key" when I was growing
> up.
>
> I can't remove the doors, as the door hinge pins can not be removed without
> damaging the wood trim.
>
> I do all the other lock work at my house (e.g. re-key existing locks
> when house keys were stolen), but this one has me stumped.
>

> Does anyone have any suggestions (wife is tapping her foot in the
> background <g>) on what to do, Newsgroups, books, web sites?
>

> Ted Borck tbo...@netcom.com

Ny2dcohen

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99
Try clearstar.com they are very helpful.