OT, sort of: Wi-fi & mobile homes?

KenK

Nov 21, 2016, 11:56:55 AM11/21/16

I live in a mobile home - metal sides, probably steel. Next to it is a
small wood frame building I use as a combination shop and office.

I am thinking of getting a tablet computer to use in the mobile, more for
amusement than office-type tasks. The wi-fi router will be with the DSL
modem, in the office. Will this work? Will the wi-fi signal go through
the mobile home walls?

I Googled but couldn't find a flat yes/no answer. I already have a router
but nothing I can use to test its penetration into the mobile home. I'd
hate to buy a tablet and find it didn't work.

I could move the modem and router into the mobile and run cables from the
modem to the computers in the office but that is by far not my first
choice. May not work as cables will have to be 75 feet long or so and I'd
have to install conduit. No room for the office desktop computers,
printers, monitors, etc. in the mobile. Rather than that solution I'd
prefer to just forget about getting the tablet.

Suggestions? Experience?

TIA

Kurt V. Ullman

Nov 21, 2016, 12:06:06 PM11/21/16
Have a friend with a wifi-enabled smart phone you ask over a beer?

Pat

Nov 21, 2016, 12:19:29 PM11/21/16
As Kurt said, ask a friend with a tablet or a wifi enabled smart phone
to try it. The metal walls of the mobile home will definitely
attenuate the signal significantly, but your windows will let some
signal through. Trying it is the only way to be sure. You could
mount your router near a window to help.

If you runs wires to the office for the computer there, 75 feet is not
a problem. Ethernet can go hundreds of feet without problems and
outdoor/direct bury cat 5 or 6 cable is available. You might want
conduit for ease of future changes, but it is not needed for the
connection to work.

Pat

KenK

Nov 21, 2016, 12:32:14 PM11/21/16
Pat <p...@nospam.us> wrote in
Unfortunately, the rear of the mobile faces the office and it has no
windows or any nearby.

I will consider your idea of running the cables. Didn't know that
ethernet cables could be so long.

KenK

Nov 21, 2016, 12:33:39 PM11/21/16
"Kurt V. Ullman" <kurtu...@yahoo.com> wrote in
Unfortunately, in many other ways as well, I'm pretty much of a hermit
and can't think of any of my few friends with such a device.

Bod

Nov 21, 2016, 12:47:10 PM11/21/16
You could also run a mains cable from the mobile home to the the office
and plug in a couple of WI-Fi extenders.

Bod

Nov 21, 2016, 12:54:17 PM11/21/16
Oh! if both buildings are on the same mains supply, you'll only need the
Wi-Fi extenders plugged in at each end. The easiest solution.

ItsJoanNotJoann

Nov 21, 2016, 12:58:47 PM11/21/16
On Monday, November 21, 2016 at 10:56:55 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:

> I am thinking of getting a tablet computer to use in the mobile, more for
> amusement than office-type tasks. The wi-fi router will be with the DSL
> modem, in the office. Will this work? Will the wi-fi signal go through
> the mobile home walls?

My house is clad in aluminum siding. Before I got wi-fi my
laptop would try to pick up the neighbor across the street
signal and any others in the neighborhood.

Retired

Nov 21, 2016, 12:59:04 PM11/21/16
Bod, you mean powerline "extenders" like these ?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=dp_cerb_2?th=1

Bod

Nov 21, 2016, 1:01:19 PM11/21/16
Yeh, you're correct...wrong terminology. Thanks.
A very qick and relatively cheap way to do it....agree?

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Nov 21, 2016, 1:03:08 PM11/21/16
On 21 Nov 2016 16:56:48 GMT, KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

Put the wifi modem in front of a window on the side facing the shop.

KenK

Nov 21, 2016, 1:06:34 PM11/21/16
Bod <bodr...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in news:e9gq8qFu044U1
@mid.individual.net:
Could you please expand on this a bit? I'm not familiar with wi-fi
extenders.

KenK

Nov 21, 2016, 1:08:11 PM11/21/16
Bod <bodr...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
Nope. Separate breaker boxes and power company feeds.

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 21, 2016, 1:08:54 PM11/21/16
100 meters

FrozenNorth

Nov 21, 2016, 1:16:06 PM11/21/16
Google WiFi over Powerline.
I assume that is what he is referring to.

--
Froz....

Oren

Nov 21, 2016, 2:39:48 PM11/21/16
On 21 Nov 2016 16:56:48 GMT, KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

>Suggestions?

Just for giggles, move the router into the shop and determine if the
desktop inside the mobile home gets a WiFi connection :-)

Oren

Nov 21, 2016, 2:52:11 PM11/21/16
Oh wait. You have DSL so this won't work?

Moe DeLoughan

Nov 21, 2016, 3:02:03 PM11/21/16
On 11/21/2016 10:56 AM, KenK wrote:
> I live in a mobile home - metal sides, probably steel. Next to it is a
> small wood frame building I use as a combination shop and office.
>
> I am thinking of getting a tablet computer to use in the mobile, more for
> amusement than office-type tasks. The wi-fi router will be with the DSL
> modem, in the office. Will this work? Will the wi-fi signal go through
> the mobile home walls?
>
> I Googled but couldn't find a flat yes/no answer.

There isn't one. There's more than one factor affecting wifi strength
and reception, including the quality of the wifi antenna(s) within the
device. The radio band and channel used will also affect reception.
If you've got neighbors in the vicinity, you want to pick a
channel/band that has fewer users on it. See
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/when-defaults-are-bad-how-to-pick-a-unique-wireless-channel-for-your-router/

Black Friday is nearly upon us, meaning there will be deals on very
inexpensive Android tablets. It wouldn't cost you much to buy and try.
Amazon is sure to be putting their Fire tablets on sale, and they're
easy about taking returns. And there's a lot you can do with tablets
that doesn't require constant internet access - you can load books,
music, videos on the tablet and access them anytime, internet or no
internet. When you needed to download to update something, you could
just take the tablet into your office.

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 21, 2016, 3:44:31 PM11/21/16
It is a receiver and a transmitter that relays the signal farther down
the line.

If you can get a wire out there it will be the most trouble free
solution. Then just put another WiFi router out there. You can usually
use them like a switch by using the 4 "lan" ports and not the "wan"
port. The wan usually does an address translation and isolates you
from the other network. The internet connection works either way but
you will not be able to do file sharing with the house on the wan.

James Wilkinson Sword

Nov 21, 2016, 4:30:24 PM11/21/16
I tried one of those. Admittedly it was a 2nd hand one someone got free with their internet provider, but it only worked about one room away, any further than that and it couldn't send a decent signal through the longer mains cable, and kept losing the connection.

--
Never use a long word when a diminutive one will do.

(PeteCresswell)

Nov 21, 2016, 4:59:32 PM11/21/16
Per KenK:
>I could move the modem and router into the mobile and run cables from the
>modem to the computers in the office but that is by far not my first
>choice. May not work as cables will have to be 75 feet long or so and I'd
>have to install conduit.

Here's another option:
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-0000070700985-NanoStation-loco-M5/dp/B004EHSV4W

I've got a pair of these down the shore linking a server/Comcast cable
to a shed-type windsurfing shop 1.6 miles away.

I have another pair that I use as an "air gap" between my garden shed/TV
antenna/LAN-based tuners/file backup server and my 24-7 PC in our rec
room about 100' away.

Both applications work and even I was able to set them up and get them
running quickly. Biggest problem for me was getting over the idea that
they don't have to be aimed/tuned particularly well and they are about
as close to plug-and-play as one can expect from such an application.

At $130, it's a lot cheaper than burying conduit.
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell)

Nov 21, 2016, 5:00:41 PM11/21/16
Per KenK:
> Didn't know that
>ethernet cables could be so long.

The standard is something like 300'.
--
Pete Cresswell

Terry Coombs

Nov 21, 2016, 5:10:21 PM11/21/16
gfre...@aol.com wrote:

> If you can get a wire out there it will be the most trouble free
> solution. Then just put another WiFi router out there. You can usually
> use them like a switch by using the 4 "lan" ports and not the "wan"
> port. The wan usually does an address translation and isolates you
> from the other network. The internet connection works either way but
> you will not be able to do file sharing with the house on the wan.

Can you explain the file sharing problem in further detail please ? I use
a router that has both plugs for cables and wifi , have no problem at all
sharing files between wired and wifi connected comps . The Win7 machine even
has no problem reading files on all the XP machines , though they have
problems reading files on it ...
--
Snag

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Nov 21, 2016, 5:20:32 PM11/21/16
Definitely NOT the adjustable pedal switch. Being a cab, more likely
the switch for the "top light" or something similar. Definitely a
third party installation - it is NOT a Ford installed or supplied
switch. It has a pilot light on it - which leads me to believe it is
for some add-on lights (possibly driving lights that have been
removed, or the lighted taxi sign - possibly no longer in use. (if
it's like any of the many cabs I've worked on over the decades)

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Nov 21, 2016, 5:28:28 PM11/21/16
It won't go through a transformer and needs to be on the same "side"
of the line to work effectively.

James Wilkinson Sword

Nov 21, 2016, 5:58:30 PM11/21/16
It won't even go through a couple of fuses and 10m of wiring. It's shit.

--
Gardening Rule:
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.

Paint...@unlisted.moo

Nov 21, 2016, 6:39:06 PM11/21/16
On 21 Nov 2016 17:32:11 GMT, KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

>Unfortunately, the rear of the mobile faces the office and it has no
>windows or any nearby.
>
>I will consider your idea of running the cables. Didn't know that
>ethernet cables could be so long.

Add a window!!!

Dean Hoffman

Nov 21, 2016, 6:46:11 PM11/21/16
On 11/21/16 10:56 AM, KenK wrote:
> I live in a mobile home - metal sides, probably steel. Next to it is a
> small wood frame building I use as a combination shop and office.
>
> I am thinking of getting a tablet computer to use in the mobile, more for
> amusement than office-type tasks. The wi-fi router will be with the DSL
> modem, in the office. Will this work? Will the wi-fi signal go through
> the mobile home walls?

I live in a mobile home park. About nine of my neighbors' wifi
signals
are showing up on my wifi. They're all locked incidentally. My house
doesn't have metal siding but I think most of my neighbors' houses do.

Paint...@unlisted.moo

Nov 21, 2016, 6:49:42 PM11/21/16
On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 12:58:54 -0500, Retired <Ret...@home.com> wrote:

>> Oh! if both buildings are on the same mains supply, you'll only need
>> the Wi-Fi extenders plugged in at each end. The easiest solution.
>
>Bod, you mean powerline "extenders" like these ?
>
>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=dp_cerb_2?th=1

I've heard they make boosters for cellphones for areas with poor
reception. I think they are some reciever and a transmitter the receiver
is placed where there is a good signal and transmitter put in the poor
reception area. Do they work for WIFI? I cant answer that. I dont know
much about them. But its somethng to check into.

Any metal building has poor reception. My steel sided barn wont play a
radio, but I ran a piece of #14 insulated wire outside to a tree. About
15' long. I stripped the end and wrapped it around the radio telescoping
antenna. Works great! I have also lived in both a trailer and a regular
house with alum siding. Same problem on both. By law, metal siding needs
to be grounded, so that explains a lot.

Paint...@unlisted.moo

Nov 21, 2016, 6:51:10 PM11/21/16
On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 17:46:07 -0600, Dean Hoffman <dh0...@windstream.net>
wrote:
I never saw a trailer house without metal siding. What does it have?

Dean Hoffman

Nov 21, 2016, 7:04:55 PM11/21/16
I don't know the correct term. The original siding is a soft wood
paneling type
stuff maybe 3/4" thick. I put regular plastic siding over it a few
years ago.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Nov 21, 2016, 7:43:07 PM11/21/16
Why not just use a simple switch instead of the more expensive and
complex router? Or a simple access point if you want wifi? There are
some routers that can be used as access points.(turning off the
"router" feature)

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Nov 21, 2016, 7:53:13 PM11/21/16
Canvas?

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 21, 2016, 8:00:48 PM11/21/16
On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 16:10:18 -0600, "Terry Coombs" <snag...@msn.com>
wrote:
If you have another DAT router in there on the LAN side of your
DSL/Cable co router you will not be able to share files from opposite
sides of that router using regular windows tools.

As long as everything is on the LAN side of a single router they are
all connected peer to peer. (WiFi or cabled)

I am sure there is a way to file share WAN to LAN but that is beyond
my pay grade. I actually use that to my advantage. My DSL router WiFi
is my guest connection (smart TV, TiVo etc), then I have another
router that feeds my home network. It gives me a DAT firewall between
the riff raff outside and my wired network and still allows everything
to have internet connections.

micky

Nov 21, 2016, 8:09:56 PM11/21/16
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 21 Nov 2016 12:05:56 -0500, "Kurt V. Ullman"
<kurtu...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 11/21/16 11:56 AM, KenK wrote:
>> I live in a mobile home - metal sides, probably steel. Next to it is a
>> small wood frame building I use as a combination shop and office.
>>
>> I am thinking of getting a tablet computer to use in the mobile, more for
>> amusement than office-type tasks. The wi-fi router will be with the DSL
>> modem, in the office. Will this work? Will the wi-fi signal go through
>> the mobile home walls?
>>
>> I Googled but couldn't find a flat yes/no answer. I already have a router
>> but nothing I can use to test its penetration into the mobile home. I'd
>> hate to buy a tablet and find it didn't work.
>>
>> I could move the modem and router into the mobile and run cables from the
>> modem to the computers in the office but that is by far not my first
>> choice. May not work as cables will have to be 75 feet long or so and I'd
>> have to install conduit. No room for the office desktop computers,
>> printers, monitors, etc. in the mobile. Rather than that solution I'd
>> prefer to just forget about getting the tablet.
>>
>> Suggestions? Experience?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>Have a friend with a wifi-enabled smart phone you ask over a beer?

You beat me to it, but I wasn't smart enough to give him a beer.

Hmm. is the building 75 feet from the trailer?. I don't know if that is
a problem or not, but your cell phone friend can check

and there are more powerful routers and there are wifi amps, but I guess
it would have to be half way between. Maybe you can build a little
house for the amp.

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 21, 2016, 9:45:48 PM11/21/16
On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 20:09:50 -0500, micky <NONONO...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>and there are more powerful routers and there are wifi amps, but I guess
>it would have to be half way between. Maybe you can build a little
>house for the amp.

My wife has an amp and antenna at the club that takes the WiFi about
300 feet out to the #1 tee so the starter can use his I pad to get the
tee times.

micky

Nov 22, 2016, 2:38:33 AM11/22/16
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 21 Nov 2016 21:45:21 -0500,
That's impressive. I brought this up because in my investigative days,
when I was visiting my brother and bored in the middle of the night, but
unable to make noise like I do at home, I got in my car to check out
stuff like this. Of course I don't know who turns their router off at
night, and I dont' know for sure who even has one, and my old laptop
probably wasn't as good at this as my newer one, and even routers might
have been weaker than most now, but I parked outside of the library
close to the door and got no signal. Then I went to the mall and drove
past the open air restaurant, which still had customers. Then I drove
down the street by my brother's house, which is a lot more expensive
than anything I can afford and where I figured everyone had wifi and
didn't turn it off, but still the houses had short front yards, 30 or 40
feet from house to street, I'd say, plus of course some distance within
the house. .

I got nothing at any of these places.

Finally I tried his house and I had to drive halfway up the driveway to
get a signal.

This was before McDonalds and Home Depot etc had open wifi, and I was
trying to plan for my 4-day drive home, not that I actually need the net
on the drive.

What I should do is try this with my own house and my newer netbook.

Mark Lloyd

Nov 22, 2016, 12:38:05 PM11/22/16

[snip]

> I tried one of those. Admittedly it was a 2nd hand one someone got free
> with their internet provider, but it only worked about one room away,
> any further than that and it couldn't send a decent signal through the
> longer mains cable, and kept losing the connection.

I have tried those powerline devices, with similar results. Worked
poorly if at all. Maybe these work in some situations.

It's almost always better to run an ethernet cable, however I'm not
familiar with doing that outside.

--
33 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"It's not your fault that you're always wrong" -- Marilyn Manson

Mark Lloyd

Nov 22, 2016, 12:40:42 PM11/22/16
On 11/21/2016 04:00 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per KenK:
>> Didn't know that
>> ethernet cables could be so long.
>
> The standard is something like 300'.

I remember 100 meters, which is a little over 328 feet.

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 22, 2016, 12:44:21 PM11/22/16
On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 11:38:00 -0600, Mark Lloyd <n...@mail.invalid>
wrote:

>On 11/21/2016 03:30 PM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>> I tried one of those. Admittedly it was a 2nd hand one someone got free
>> with their internet provider, but it only worked about one room away,
>> any further than that and it couldn't send a decent signal through the
>> longer mains cable, and kept losing the connection.
>>

>I have tried those powerline devices, with similar results. Worked
>poorly if at all. Maybe these work in some situations.
>
>It's almost always better to run an ethernet cable, however I'm not
>familiar with doing that outside.

There is nothing special about running cat5/6 wire outside. Just use
the right media and understand the normal wire has a PVC jacket that
will fail pretty fast in sunlight. I would run wet location rated wire
in PVC conduit.

Mark Lloyd

Nov 22, 2016, 12:47:44 PM11/22/16
On 11/21/2016 05:46 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

[snip]

> I live in a mobile home park. About nine of my neighbors' wifi
> signals
> are showing up on my wifi. They're all locked incidentally. My house
> doesn't have metal siding but I think most of my neighbors' houses do.

More than 10 years ago, when I first got WiFi, I could see several
neighbors' networks then were insecure and named "Linksys". That's
different now. Right now, I see 3 other than mine. They are named
"BuzzieLink", "FBI Surveilance", and "suddenlink.net-0702". All are secured.

James Wilkinson Sword

Nov 22, 2016, 2:15:28 PM11/22/16
I just ran normal Cat5/6 wire from my house to my garage. Just cabletied it to the aerial wire that already hung across.

Sunlight isn't a concern in Scotland.

--
Carenza Lewis about finding food in the Middle Ages on 'Time Team Live' said: "You'd eat beaver if you could get it."

Tekkie®

Nov 22, 2016, 4:37:30 PM11/22/16
cl...@snyder.on.ca posted for all of us...
Pressed lint