More about WHO

micky

Apr 20, 2020, 10:11:51 AM4/20/20
I heard a very good discussion of WHO on C-Span this monrnig.

WHO did make a bunch of mistakes. Trump didn't make that up, but the
questions are, Is he making too much of it? Did he do a lot of the same
thing? What should the US do about WHO?

In Januray slow to declare Corona a _____, In March slow to declrare it
a ??possible pandemic??, because probably China didn't want this (and
didn't release enough information to warrante it?) WHO didn't consider
very negative data from Taiwan.

However China is not alone in pressuring WHO to be slow. When Ebola was
starting African host country and neighboring countries did the same
thing, because they didn't want trade disrupted. And Taiwan was ignored
because it's not a member of WHO or even an observer, because China is
angry at Taiwan ROC, (and I would add that attitude has been accepted by
the USA, which iirc has recognized China and unrecognized the ROChina.
This was under a Republican president iirc.)

Their money has not been cut yet, because payments are on a 2-year cycle
and no payment was due. The review will last 60 to 90 days.

Problems with cutting their money. 1) Corona is about to enter poor
countries of Africa (where his is hinting it will be harder to get rid
of because poor people can't afford to stay home, and in addition, every
additional country makes things worse whether they can stay home or
not). US is paying for iirc 20% of the cost of stopping that. 2) On
course to wipe out Ebola in Afraca. US is paying for 30% of that.

It seems clear to me that lessening money to WHO is cutting off their
nose and spiting the US's face as well as that of the whole world. No
matter how bad their behaviour, they are the ones making major progress
in eliminating world diseases that will come back to the US and the rest
of the world if their work is stopped. But Trump is driven in all he
does by anger and not by sense. It's something like refusing child
support payments because one is angry at his ex-wife, even if it means
his kid goes without food.

History: Wuhan, mid November, to the attention of officials in China,
end of November, beginning of December, not reported for 6 to 7 weeks
(and it spreads during that timem, within Wuhan at least), disclosed to
WHO Dec 31. genetic squencing data disclosed by Chinaon Jan 10th,
prohibited international mission to enter China until mid=Feb. Suspicion
number of cases and fatalities grossly underreported -- china has a
history of that.

This all happened shortly after the phase 1 trade agreement between
China and the US, which trump hoped to use in his election campaign, so
trump had praised China for is corona beahaviour. (Since his tariffs
are such losers for everyone.)

Reallotting funds to someone else requires the agreement of Congress
(but llike Ukraine, stumpie won't care abou that.)

I missed some details while typing. And I still havent' heard the name
of who's talking. Still, if you want to hear the whole thing, you can
probably find it at www.c-span.org . Ah, they gave his name once, but I
missed it. Radio shows routinely fail to give names enough. Greta
Sustern was doing the interview. It might be this:
https://www.c-span.org/video/?471303-5/washington-journal-stephen-morrison-discusses-world-health-organization
Yes, Greta is mentioned, so I haven't played it to recognize his voice
but 'm sure it is. It's 40 minutes long.

My prediction is that if money is indeed cut, Bill Gates will make up
the difference with the staterment that he hopes to get the money back
after Trump leaves office. Gates is already, iirc, a major funder of
the WHO. OTOH, he doesnt' want to spend all his money in one place so
if I were in his shoes, I'd want the new money back later to spend it on
some other worthy cause. I hadn't seen** anything online about his
current funding but I do see this, which I have not watched yet.

Bill Gates says Trump's decision to halt WHO funding is 'as dangerous as
it sounds'
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/15/business/who-funding-bill-gates-dangerous/index.html
**"The WHO declared coronavirus a public health emergency of
international concern in late January and a week later, the Bill and
Melinda Gates Foundation pledged up to $100 million to help contain the
outbreak. " The US probably gives several times more than 100 million,
so even though Gates has that much, that doesn't mean he'll do what I
just said he would do.

And of course there is the jackass take on things:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2020/04/19/bill-gates-is-now-a-target-of-covid-19-coronavirus-conspiracy-theories/#73f49eff6227
"Bill Gates Is Now A Target Of COVID-19 Coronavirus Conspiracy Theories
Over the past decade, Bill Gates has been warning about the lack of
preparation and systems in place to deal with infectious disease threats
that could lead to a pandemic. Two years ago, I covered for Forbes some
of these warnings. Now that the world is actually in the midst of the
COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic, take a wild guess as to whom some
conspiracy theorists are now blaming for the pandemic?

"Hint, the answer rhymes with chill dates. Yep, some people on social
media have been accusing Gates of starting the severe acute respiratory
syndrome–coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV2) pandemic. This is after Gates, the
billionaire Microsoft co-founder turned philanthropist, has spent much
of the second act of his career initiating and supporting efforts to
prevent and control infectious diseases via the Bill and Melinda Gates
Foundation, which has funded some of our PHICOR team’s computer modeling
research efforts to improve product distribution and disease control.
This is after Gates has on multiple occasions pushed for more awareness
about the possibility of a pandemic and more efforts to prevent this
possibility, such as in this 2015 TED talk:"

trader_4

Apr 20, 2020, 10:33:26 AM4/20/20
How about that big mouth dope that's running WHO resigns? If he's so
worried about the health and welfare of the planet, just resign and get
out of the way. No, you don't see that happening, do you? If there are
no consequences for their lies, then you just get more of it. And either
he's incredibly stupid or he was lying for China's benefit, trying to cover
it up. So, if WHO wants more US money, dump the skunk.

Ed Pawlowski

Apr 20, 2020, 11:29:33 AM4/20/20
On 4/20/2020 10:11 AM, micky wrote:
> I heard a very good discussion of WHO on C-Span this monrnig.
>
> WHO did make a bunch of mistakes. Trump didn't make that up, but the
> questions are, Is he making too much of it? Did he do a lot of the same
> thing? What should the US do about WHO?

The whole thing is silly. A rock group has nothing to do with a virus
and should not be blamed for it. I did not like all of their music but
they should not be penalized for what China did.
https://www.thewho.com/

gfre...@aol.com

Apr 20, 2020, 11:45:36 AM4/20/20
On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 10:11:46 -0400, micky
<NONONOa...@rushpost.com> wrote:

>I heard a very good discussion of WHO on C-Span this monrnig.
>
>WHO did make a bunch of mistakes. Trump didn't make that up, but the
>questions are, Is he making too much of it? Did he do a lot of the same
>thing? What should the US do about WHO?
WHO is a political and financial organization, more closely tied to
the IMF than any health organization. Their main interest is in making
the world safe for business. If that intersects with health, great but
if the paths separate, business wins.

Cindy Hamilton

Apr 20, 2020, 12:39:24 PM4/20/20
Who's on first?

Cindy Hamilton

gfre...@aol.com

Apr 20, 2020, 1:26:52 PM4/20/20
"Who the fuck are you" to ask this? ;-)

Don't get fooled again.

micky

Apr 20, 2020, 2:08:16 PM4/20/20
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 20 Apr 2020 11:29:26 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
<e...@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 4/20/2020 10:11 AM, micky wrote:
>> I heard a very good discussion of WHO on C-Span this monrnig.
>>
>> WHO did make a bunch of mistakes. Trump didn't make that up, but the
>> questions are, Is he making too much of it? Did he do a lot of the same
>> thing? What should the US do about WHO?
>>

>The whole thing is silly. A rock group has nothing to do with a virus
>and should not be blamed for it.

When you're right, you're right.

rbowman

Apr 20, 2020, 10:59:38 PM4/20/20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r_qd2yxIsM

The Guess Who were better.

rbowman

Apr 20, 2020, 11:03:37 PM4/20/20

Terry Coombs

Apr 20, 2020, 11:13:58 PM4/20/20
  Now that's a matter of opinion ... that said , i like 'em both . But
then I like D.A.C. too , so I might not be the best judge .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

rbowman