Anyone Familiar with SystemsProtect?

Wayne Boatwright

May 28, 2008, 12:57:42β€―AM5/28/08
Our mortgage company recently announced the availability of SystemsProtect
in our area. The plan apparently offers full repair/replacement of HVAC,
plumbing system, clothes washer and drier, garbage disposal, electrical
system, and ceiling fans. 24/7 service availability. There is a $60
deductible per occurrence, and a $29.95 monthly fee. SystemsProtect is not
affiliated with our mortgage company. They are simply offering its
availability as a courtesy.

There are certain restrictions which seem reasonable. There is also a
broader service plan that includes kitchen appliances with a $34.95 monthly
fee.

I'm asking for opinions and/or personal experience because we are in our
60s and probably not capable of making most of the repairs ourselves, nor
financially able to pay for or replace the big ticket items on a moments
notice. We could afford the monthly fee easily within our budget.

What say ye?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)

Mike Paulsen

May 28, 2008, 3:40:51β€―AM5/28/08
Wayne Boatwright wrote:
(snip)

> SystemsProtect is not
> affiliated with our mortgage company. They are simply offering its
> availability as a courtesy.

There's absolutely no reason for your mortgage company to do this for
you "as a courtesy." They are getting paid one way or another.

(snip)

> I'm asking for opinions and/or personal experience because we are in our
> 60s and probably not capable of making most of the repairs ourselves, nor
> financially able to pay for or replace the big ticket items on a moments
> notice. We could afford the monthly fee easily within our budget.
>
> What say ye?

I took a quick look at their sample plan. With the monthly fee, $60
deductible, and numerous limitations and exclusions, it doesn't seem to
offer much benefit. If you have a claim every year you might break even.
For example, if your water heater breaks in a way that's not excluded
from coverage, you'll get a maximum of $500 toward the installation of a
"base model that meets all applicable federally mandated minimal
manufacturers’ standards." For this $500 coverage you've paid $360 in
monthly fees.

You can find the expected customer horror stories if you search for some
of the many names they do business under:
http://www.cchs.com/disclosure.html

If you can easily afford the monthly fee then you can easily start
setting aside that amount each month in case you _do_ have a big ticket
repair. If an appliance dies and you don't have enough saved you can
always get a monthly payment plan (read: store credit card) from any of
the big retailers.

Edwin Pawlowski

May 28, 2008, 5:59:26β€―AM5/28/08

"Wayne Boatwright" <waynebo...@arizona.usa.com> wrote in message

> Our mortgage company recently announced the availability of SystemsProtect
> in our area. The plan apparently offers full repair/replacement of HVAC,
> plumbing system, clothes washer and drier, garbage disposal, electrical
> system, and ceiling fans. 24/7 service availability. There is a $60
> deductible per occurrence, and a $29.95 monthly fee. SystemsProtect is
> not
> affiliated with our mortgage company. They are simply offering its
> availability as a courtesy.
>
> There are certain restrictions which seem reasonable. There is also a
> broader service plan that includes kitchen appliances with a $34.95
> monthly
> fee.
>
> I'm asking for opinions and/or personal experience because we are in our
> 60s and probably not capable of making most of the repairs ourselves, nor
> financially able to pay for or replace the big ticket items on a moments
> notice. We could afford the monthly fee easily within our budget.
>
> What say ye?
>
> TIA

They want $420 a year. How much have you spent on repairs in the past 10
years?

Put $35 a month is the bank and you have a good head start. Your mortgage
company is making it available because they get a cut of the profits on
sales, not because they like you. Most home warranty companies use cheap
labor, cheap appliances and often leave people very unhappy.

mark

May 28, 2008, 7:47:19β€―AM5/28/08

"Wayne Boatwright" <waynebo...@arizona.usa.com> wrote in message
Maybe I'm overly suspicious, but it sounds as if the OP is promoting the
plan, not so much asking opinions...
Hopefully I'm wrong. (It happens often). Mark

Message has been deleted

Wayne Boatwright

May 28, 2008, 8:28:48β€―AM5/28/08
On Wed 28 May 2008 04:47:19a, mark told us...

No, Mark, I'm not promoting this in the least. I really wanted advice.
From the 3 other responses, it's clear that this is *not* in my best
interest, and I now have no intention of buying into for myself.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)

Wayne Boatwright

May 28, 2008, 8:29:33β€―AM5/28/08
On Wed 28 May 2008 12:40:51a, Mike Paulsen told us...

Thanks, Mike. Point well taken. I think we'll skip this altogether.l

Wayne Boatwright

May 28, 2008, 8:30:19β€―AM5/28/08
On Wed 28 May 2008 02:59:26a, Edwin Pawlowski told us...

You're right, Ed. I wasn't really thinking it through. Won't be doing it.
Thanks!

Wayne Boatwright

May 28, 2008, 8:31:03β€―AM5/28/08
On Wed 28 May 2008 04:50:07a, Noahbuddy told us...

> Wayne Boatwright <waynebo...@arizona.usa.com> wrote in

>> Our mortgage company recently announced the availability of
>> SystemsProtect in our area. The plan apparently offers full
>> repair/replacement of HVAC, plumbing system, clothes washer and drier,
>> garbage disposal, electrical system, and ceiling fans. 24/7 service
>> availability. There is a $60 deductible per occurrence, and a $29.95
>> monthly fee. SystemsProtect is not affiliated with our mortgage
>> company. They are simply offering its availability as a courtesy.
>>
>> There are certain restrictions which seem reasonable. There is also a
>> broader service plan that includes kitchen appliances with a $34.95
>> monthly fee.
>>
>> I'm asking for opinions and/or personal experience because we are in
>> our 60s and probably not capable of making most of the repairs
>> ourselves, nor financially able to pay for or replace the big ticket
>> items on a moments notice. We could afford the monthly fee easily
>> within our budget.
>>
>> What say ye?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> My sister signed up with one of those "services". They tried to get out
> of everything. She cancelled.
> RUN, don't walk.

Based on responses here, we won't be doing it. Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)

My other car is a broom!

mark

May 28, 2008, 2:30:18β€―PM5/28/08

"Wayne Boatwright" <waynebo...@arizona.usa.com> wrote in message
I'm on your side on it then. Doesn't sound like much of a deal (for you).

JimR

May 28, 2008, 9:13:52β€―PM5/28/08

"Wayne Boatwright" <waynebo...@arizona.usa.com> wrote in message
> Our mortgage company recently announced the availability of SystemsProtect
> in our area. The plan apparently offers full repair/replacement of HVAC,
> plumbing system, clothes washer and drier, garbage disposal, electrical
> system, and ceiling fans. 24/7 service availability. There is a $60
> deductible per occurrence, and a $29.95 monthly fee.

[snip]

We could afford the monthly fee easily within our budget.

> What say ye?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

3rd party insurance schemes seldom are a good deal for anyone except the
third party.

First, you may want to make sure that your homeowner's insurance covers
damage to your household goods at replacement value (not depreciated value).
Hopefully your insurance will also cover damage from a nearby lightning
strike that caused an equipment-fatal power surge.

Second, consider adding a whole-house surge suppressor, since aside from
floods, tornado or hurricane storm damage the most likely cause of having
more than one appliance fail at a time would be a power surge due to
lightning. This could also give you a discount on your homeowners'
insurance.

Third, you could probably handle replacing one item if it became
necessary -- and in fact you'll probably want to replace an air conditioner
unit or a refrigerator some time in the future.

To make sure you have the funds for that, instead of paying for the service,
arrange to deposit $29.95 each month into a savings account -- pay yourself
instead of the company. In two years you'll have about $750; four years
about $1600, etc. Within a few years you'll have enough capital to cover
almost any appliance emergency, or you can upgrade to better items if you
want. If you're worried about the discipline, set it up so the amount is
automatically deposited before you even see the money.

Wayne Boatwright

May 28, 2008, 10:22:59β€―PM5/28/08
On Wed 28 May 2008 06:13:52p, JimR told us...

All very good advice, Jim. Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)

Even Napoleon had his Watergate.

dvelezz_at_y...@foo.com

Jul 20, 2009, 7:29:30β€―PM7/20/09
dve...@yahoo.com had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Anyone-Familiar-with-SystemsProtect-309338-.htm
:
Systems Protect home service plan is a Rip Off. In their marketing letter
it mentions that they pay for repairs of major home systems and appliances
" no matter the age, make, or model", but when my air conditioner stopped
working, they did not cover the cost because, "it showed signs of rust".
Customer Beware!

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

-------------------------------------

Joe

Jun 4, 2015, 10:44:04β€―PM6/4/15
replying to Wayne Boatwright, Joe wrote:
Yes, last year our HVAC unit went belly up. The compressor had an internal
leak so was not cooling properly. The system was 17 years old. I called
the required number, late in the day, and within 15 minutes received a
call from a local provider who came the next day. The system came from out
of town so had to wait an extra day for the unit to be installed. Because
of the age of the system they installed a completely new condenser unit.
Getting a $2000 unit for $75 was a bargain in my book. Both the
SystemProtect and Service persons were friendly, knowledgeable and knew
what had to be done quickly. The service company was prompt and performed
the work in a professional manner. The system had been working just fine
in our 100 plus degree heat. I would recommend them in a heart beat.

trader_4

Jun 5, 2015, 8:36:25β€―AM6/5/15
It was actually $75 plus all the payments of $XXX made for $YYY years....

Uncle Monster

Jun 5, 2015, 4:44:34β€―PM6/5/15
Someone already mentioned a whole house surge arrester and you should check with your power company to see if they offer one that plugs in behind your power meter. I believe the power company will cover lightning damage to your appliances and electronic equipment for the small monthly fee you pay for the surge arrester. The Southern Company charges $3.45 per month. You can also purchase your own meter socket surge arrester but you may need a licensed electrician to install it for you. 8-)

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ohbvnso

[8~{} Uncle Surge Monster

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 5, 2015, 11:30:01β€―PM6/5/15
On 6/5/2015 8:36 AM, trader_4 wrote:

>> Getting a $2000 unit for $75 was a bargain in my book. Both the
>> SystemProtect and Service persons were friendly, knowledgeable and knew
>> what had to be done quickly. The service company was prompt and performed
>> the work in a professional manner. The system had been working just fine
>> in our 100 plus degree heat. I would recommend them in a heart beat.
>>
>> --
>
> It was actually $75 plus all the payments of $XXX made for $YYY years....

They sell peace of mind to people poor at math. Put that money in the
bank and you have a tidy sum in a few years.

Joe

Jun 6, 2015, 9:44:07β€―PM6/6/15
Yes you are right, so we got a $2000 unit for $75 and another $319.50 in
payments for the plan.
Still better than $2000 plus the service call and labor that I would have
been charged if not for the
plan. Do you know what it costs just for some one to come out to take a
look? I am keeping track of
payments versus benefits and so far I am way ahead. When it comes to all
the appliances and other
items in a household you have to be prepared in one way or another. How
many of you will keep
that money in a special account for that rainy day? That is why we have
auto insurance and fire
insurance too. How many of you can put enough money aside to cover
everything within a reasonable
time frame. It would have taken 6 plus years of savings just to cover the
cost of the unit and that
does not include the service call or the labor. Just depends on how you
look at the bigger picture.

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 6, 2015, 10:30:42β€―PM6/6/15
On 6/6/2015 9:44 PM, Joe wrote:

> Yes you are right, so we got a $2000 unit for $75 and another $319.50 in
> payments for the plan.
> Still better than $2000 plus the service call and labor that I would have
> been charged if not for the
> plan. Do you know what it costs just for some one to come out to take a
> look? I am keeping track of payments versus benefits and so far I am way
> ahead. When it comes to all
> the appliances and other items in a household you have to be prepared in
> one way or another. How
> many of you will keep that money in a special account for that rainy
> day? That is why we have
> auto insurance and fire insurance too. How many of you can put enough
> money aside to cover
> everything within a reasonable time frame. It would have taken 6 plus
> years of savings just to cover the
> cost of the unit and that does not include the service call or the
> labor. Just depends on how you
> look at the bigger picture.

You did well. For every one of you, there are thousands that do not.

I've been a homeowner for 50 years now. I've never paid for extended
warranties and I don't know that I'd ever have collected. Like you, I'm
thousands of dollars ahead, just that I'm on the other side. See where
you will be in another 10 or 50 years of paying premiums.

In the early yr]ears, starting a family it was not easy to save money,
but over time, you'll see how it adds up to save those premiums and be
able to pay cash for any repair or replacement.

trader_4

Jun 7, 2015, 6:45:36β€―AM6/7/15
What's still missing here again is the rest of the story, ie how
long it took to run up the $320 in payments for the plan.
Obviously the failure occurred in the early years.

I'm not totally against extended warranties. There are rare
exceptions where they can make sense. As an example, I was
shopping for a dehumidifier and I know they typically only
last a few years. I had researched the prices online and
had found one that I could buy for a good price, I think it
was about $175. I went to
a local appliance store. In negotiating, the manager finally offered
a deal that was about $30 more than the online price, with
a 3 year extended warranty bundled in. Because they have
a relatively high failure rate and combined with the fact
that I could walk out with the unit right there, bring it
back there if it blew up, etc, I bought it.

Two years later, it was kaput and I brought it back. And
of course that's when the next game begins. They no longer
have that model. The closest model they have is a slightly
larger one and they want $35 more for it. I ask about
just getting the existing one fixed. Answer is they have
to send it out, don't know when or if it will ever come
back. So, given the options, I paid the $35 extra and
wound up with a new one for the $30 + $35 = $65. In that
case it happened to work out.

But overall, I'm with you. That's the only extended warranty
I've bought. The comparison he makes with insurance is a
good one. The big difference is that it's difficult or impossible
to self insure a house or insure a car for liability.
You could have a $200K+ event, which is two or three orders
of magnitude larger than any home system repair. And even
with insurance, I self insure when possible. When I have
collision insurance on a new car, I have a $2000 deductible
and when the car gets older, I'm looking at the cost of the
collision insurance versus the value of the car, looking to
drop it when it doesn't make sense anymore.

And I've heard plenty of bad stories with the warranty
companies. When you have it, you're subject to doing whatever
they are willing to do. If you want to do something else,
then what? Suppose you had a basic AC system and 15 years in
it has a bad compressor. The warranty company could decide
to just replace the compressor. If they replace the whole
thing, then you get what they will give you. How about if you
want a more efficient unit, better unit, etc? I'll bet
then the games begin because you're not in any position to
negotiate. So, to each his own, but I'd rather steer clear
of that added expense and drama.

Richard Trethewey

Jun 7, 2015, 9:42:31β€―AM6/7/15
On 06/06/2015 09:44 PM, Joe wrote:
> Do you know what it costs just for some one to come out to take a
> look? I am keeping track of payments versus benefits and so far I am way ahead. When it comes to all
> the appliances and other items in a household you have to be prepared in one way or another. How
> many of you will keep that money in a special account for that rainy day? That is why we have
> auto insurance and fire insurance too. How many of you can put enough money aside to cover
> everything within a reasonable time frame. It would have taken 6 plus years of savings just to cover the
> cost of the unit and that does not include the service call or the labor. Just depends on how you
> look at the bigger picture.

Phuck those overpriced HVAC ass-clowns.

I got a set of Yellow Jacket gauges, a Robinair two stage vacuum pump, tank of R410a, volt meter,
safety glasses, leather work gloves and a digital thermometer for around $500.

If I bought an old rusty panel van, I could start ripping people off too.

Stormin Mormon

Jun 7, 2015, 10:20:34β€―AM6/7/15
On 6/7/2015 9:42 AM, Richard Trethewey wrote:

> Phuck those overpriced HVAC ass-clowns.
>
> I got a set of Yellow Jacket gauges, a Robinair two stage vacuum pump,
> tank of R410a, volt meter,
> safety glasses, leather work gloves and a digital thermometer for around
> $500.
>
> If I bought an old rusty panel van, I could start ripping people off too.

True techs train with older guys, and get experience
and skill.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Mensa Mann

Jun 7, 2015, 1:12:09β€―PM6/7/15
On 06/07/2015 10:20 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
> On 6/7/2015 9:42 AM, Richard Trethewey wrote:
>>
>> Phuck those overpriced HVAC ass-clowns.
>>
>> I got a set of Yellow Jacket gauges, a Robinair two stage vacuum pump,
>> tank of R410a, volt meter,
>> safety glasses, leather work gloves and a digital thermometer for around
>> $500.
>>
>> If I bought an old rusty panel van, I could start ripping people off too.
>>

> True techs train with older guys, and get experience
> and skill.

Maybe Richard holds a doctorate in HVAC from YouTubeUniversity?

Maggieodae

Mar 29, 2016, 5:44:05β€―PM3/29/16
replying to Wayne Boatwright, Maggieodae wrote:
Worst home warranty ever. Just had their contractor out to fix water heater.
$75 deductible my ass. All tole it was $1200. they said they paid over half.
BS. WH's don't cost $2500. Avg cost is $900 to $1200. I got ripped!!!!!!!!!
Stay away from SystemProtect. Rip off!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/anyone-familiar-with-systemsprotect-309311-.htm

Maggieodae

Mar 29, 2016, 5:44:06β€―PM3/29/16
replying to Joe, Maggieodae wrote:
You evidently work for them. Pull the other leg. I paid the $75 deductible
plus $1200 for my water heater. They actually don't pay a damn thing.

Oren

Mar 29, 2016, 5:47:39β€―PM3/29/16
On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 21:44:02 +0000, Maggieodae
<caedfaa9ed1216d60e...@example.com> wrote:

>posted from
>hhttp://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/anyone-familiar-with-systemsprotect-309311-.htm
>using HomeOwnersHub's Web, Mobile and Social Media Interface to
>alt.home.repair and other home improvement groups

Somebody make it stop. Please.

Oren

Mar 29, 2016, 5:49:21β€―PM3/29/16
On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 21:44:02 +0000, Maggieodae
<caedfaa9ed1216d60e...@example.com> wrote:

>--
>posted from
>http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/anyone-familiar-with-systemsprotect-309311-.htm
>using HomeOwnersHub's Web, Mobile and Social Media Interface to
>alt.home.repair and other home improvement groups

There is goes again. Please make it stop. Somebody help.

Uncle Monster

Mar 30, 2016, 1:26:24β€―AM3/30/16
Don't complain, you could be arrested and charged with terrorism. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Stop Monster

Bridgette

Jun 26, 2017, 1:44:08β€―PM6/26/17
replying to Wayne Boatwright, Bridgette wrote:
Thank u all for posting . I'm a 68 yr old widow & have to do things myself for
past 2 yrs !! Every fast talking sales person in the world has called . When I
say NO , they try to belittle me & talk like I'm STUPID !!! Stupid is not my
middle name that's why I cked into this . Ur rite !!!! It's a big waste of
money which I can't afford to do . Thanks again ur all very helpful
!πŸ˜œπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/anyone-familiar-with-systemsprotect-309311-.htm

Wayne Boatwright

Jun 26, 2017, 9:13:58β€―PM6/26/17
On Mon 26 Jun 2017 10:44:03a, Bridgette told us...

> replying to Wayne Boatwright, Bridgette wrote:
> Thank u all for posting . I'm a 68 yr old widow & have to do
> things myself for past 2 yrs !! Every fast talking sales person in
> the world has called . When I say NO , they try to belittle me &
> talk like I'm STUPID !!! Stupid is not my middle name that's why
> I cked into this . Ur rite !!!! It's a big waste of money which I
> can't afford to do . Thanks again ur all very helpful
> !πŸ˜œπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

You're very welcome.

Wayne Boatwright

mcm...@gmail.com

Nov 26, 2017, 5:06:33β€―PM11/26/17
On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 10:44:04 PM UTC-4, Joe wrote:
Here's a new twist for this scam. My home mortgage company added a 49.95 cost on my monthly mortgage invoice....calling it Optional Insurance/Other Products. Unfortunately, I did not inquire of them....exactly what this was for for a few months. They finally said that I "may have purchased a subscription or optional insurance from a third party vendor." A few months went by and I could not recall purchasing any subscription or any optional insurance. I complained again to them. They said for me to contact Cross Country. Many $ 49.95's were out the window by this time. Later I got referred to SystemsProtect. They MADE UP a brochure with my name on it and claimed that I had a Home Appliance Insurance program with them for many months now. I NEVER saw anything from SystemsProtect before this and had no contract with them. Looks like they dropped the ball right after my mortgage company started to send them my monthly $ 49.95's. I have demanded every nickle back from my mortgage company....because they billed me every month and for many months, I paid them. I am anxious to hear from anybody who has been treated unfairly by either of these companies and successfully recovered their losses. John

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 26, 2017, 7:53:23β€―PM11/26/17
The flip side of this is my BIL has a service contract like this on
everything in his house and he is screwing with them to keep fixing a
25 year old Kenmore washer. He says they should buy him a new one
after all of the money he has paid them. Got my popcorn, but my money
is on the BIL. I bet he gets the newest old one they swap out after
they refurbish it. Sending him a maintenance hog just hurts them.
He also makes sure any other burp on anything is addressed.

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 26, 2017, 9:04:52β€―PM11/26/17

> On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 10:44:04 PM UTC-4, Joe wrote:
>> replying to Wayne Boatwright, Joe wrote:
>> Yes, last year our HVAC unit went belly up. The compressor had an internal
>> leak so was not cooling properly. The system was 17 years old. I called
>> the required number, late in the day, and within 15 minutes received a
>> call from a local provider who came the next day. The system came from out
>> of town so had to wait an extra day for the unit to be installed. Because
>> of the age of the system they installed a completely new condenser unit.
>> Getting a $2000 unit for $75 was a bargain in my book. Both the
>> SystemProtect and Service persons were friendly, knowledgeable and knew
>> what had to be done quickly. The service company was prompt and performed
>> the work in a professional manner. The system had been working just fine
>> in our 100 plus degree heat. I would recommend them in a heart beat.

So how much did that $2000 system really cost? How much have you paid
in premiums and continue to pay?

Hofsol1234

Jul 17, 2019, 9:44:04β€―PM7/17/19
replying to Wayne Boatwright, Hofsol1234 wrote:
Systems protect home warranty is an utter SCAM. Save your money, time and
stress, and STAY AWAY! I formerly paid for their services before cancelling
last month. Not only will they not honor their own contract, not fix what
needs to be fixed, and will misrepresent their services and coverage, but they
will pass all costs on to you as the consumer, including an additional
cancellation fee.

None of their representatives, or supervisors, know their job, the services
the cover (even though they will subsequently disavow same), or care about
their services and the theft they carry out at your expense. Each person that
you call to speak with will not be able to assist you, but will but you on
hold for over 20 minutes each time, before transferring you to another
representative who will likewise inform you that they cannot assist you, but
you on hold, and transfer you to another.

To make it worse, before filing a claim, I called systems protect to see if
the issue was covered. They said it was. When the technician got there he
stated that it was not covered, that they cannot fix it, and demanded the $125
copay. Even worse, systems protect then attempted to charge me further for
work never performed.

It is truly unfathomable that companies such as this, who commit such fraud,
theft, misrepresentations and sheer theft against their own consumers are
allowed to continue to exist without repercussions.

Buyer Beware !!!

Hofsol1234

Jul 17, 2019, 9:44:04β€―PM7/17/19

MDawg59

Apr 4, 2020, 11:44:06β€―AM4/4/20
replying to Wayne Boatwright, MDawg59 wrote:
I just cancelled my coverage with this company. They are a complete ripoff. We
purchased this warranty for peace of mind that if something happened in our
home that we would not have to come up with a large amount of money at one
time. We also knew that our air conditioner, heater and hot water heater were
nearing the end of their lives. Our air conditioner was about 15 years old
when that started and we called SystemsProtect and we had to fight with them
about that. The first company that was sent out told us the system needed
freon so we paid the deductible and the system worked fine for a few days then
it stopped when we called we were told we would need to pay the deductible
again, I refused obviously it was not fixed right the first time and I finally
got them to agree to pay the another company and not take the deductible out
of their payment, it turned out the unit went and needed to be replaced. Then
a few years have passed and I know my heater is on its last leg because it is
about 35 years old. Sure enough in November we had a cold snap in New Jersey
and our heater went. We called on Friday and had to wait until Tuesday for
someone to come out, they said our heater needed to be replaced and it would
take a bit because the office would need to file paper work and then order a
heater, mind you we are having a cold snap. When I called the girl in the
office she said she would try to put a rush on it and said they would be
subbing the job out since my heater is in my crawlspace. Not to get off topic
here but my crawlspace is not one that you have to get on your belly you
obviously can not stand upright but you can walk hunched over, and that is
another bad review for another day and another company. We also asked
SystemsProtect that if our pipes froze because of the length of time this is
taken to get heat would they cover the pipes and we were told yes, don't
believe that. We have now been without heat for almost 2 weeks when
SystemsProtect decided they would not pay for a new heater because "our heat
exchanger was cracked and our chimney cap was damaged". Needless to say I was
furious but I couldn't keep living without heat so I called a company and they
were out the next day. He ordered the heater and 2 days later my heater went
in and thank goodness we once again had heat. Of course I had to pay for the
heater out of my own pocket. When I asked the owner of the company about the
heat exchanger and chimney cap I was told that they did not cause my heater
failure and that SystemsProtect was just looking for an out so they did not
need to pay for it. He also elaborated that the heat exchanger naturally would
have been cracked from 35 years of the heat going on and cooling down, the
constant temperature changes will crack the heat exchanger and that there is
no way that the chimney cap (by the way was only damaged slightly) would have
caused the heater to go. The heater went because of age. It lasted a lot
longer than most heaters again mine was 35 years old. I also asked another
heating company the same question and was given the same answer the cracked
heat exchanger is normal on a unit that old and the chimney cap would not have
caused the problem.
I wrote a letter to SystemsProtect, mailed it certified so they did receive
it, hoping that I could get them to overturn their decision since it was
bogus but no one ever had the common decency to respond. That alone speaks
volumes as to how terrible SystemsProtect is. Needless to say I cancelled my
policy and would never deal with them again and I would suggest you and any
other person looking to purchase their warranty services RUN THE OTHER WAY AND
DO NOT LOOK BACK!