Suggestions for a 8 foot curtain rod without middle supports

Mikepier

Jan 15, 2008, 7:10:14 AM1/15/08
I have an 8 foot patio slider in my recently renovated kitchen. Before
the remodel it had vertical blinds which I did not like, so my wife
were thinking of getting fancy curtains that we could simply pull to
one side and tie it when we wanted light. The problem is that most
curtain rods I see have supports in the middle, which means you cannot
pull all the curtains ( 4 in my case) to one side. And I really did
not want to drape 2 sets of curtains on either side because on one
side my base cabinets are right next to the door, so I was trying to
pull them to the other side which is free and clear. are there any
curtain rods strong enough to span 8 feet with no supports? I was
thinking of getting round oak, or even a length of pipe.

Steve

Jan 15, 2008, 8:53:42 AM1/15/08
Mikepier <mike...@optonline.net> wrote on 15 Jan 2008 in group
alt.home.repair:

An 8-foot opening will require a 9- or 10-food rod. You'll have trouble
with the rod sagging under its own weight unless you support it in the
middle. Using a heavy pipe will lessen the problem, but not eliminate
it. You'll also have an ugly pipe. Heavy curtains will make the problem
worse.

The only solution I know is to get a real curtain rod with hidden
supports and sliding loops for hooks on the curtain.

You might make do for awhile with a 2" rod and very light curtains.
Screw the rod to the supports so it doesn't rotate. Every few months,
turn the rod over so the sag points up, and screw it down again.

--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

ransley

Jan 15, 2008, 9:45:36 AM1/15/08

Use regular metal curtain rods with the internal rope and curtain hook
holder system I have them going out maybe 12ft on picture windows and
doors the middle braces you wont see.

Norminn

Jan 15, 2008, 9:37:03 AM1/15/08
Mikepier wrote:

You can buy traverse rods which draw open to one side or the other, but
still have a center support. Kirsch
and Graber are the most familiar hardware cos. Do a Google search on '
"traverse rods" open left right '
and you will get plenty of hits. Here is one:
http://www.continentalwindowfashions.com/category_k003_Kirsch-Superfine-Traverse-Rods_3.html

You might also be able to rig the hardware from the vertical blinds.

Message has been deleted

jJim McLaughlin

Jan 15, 2008, 6:28:18 PM1/15/08
Mikepier wrote:

Maybe a 1 1/2" or 2" 'L' shaped piece of steel. Fabricate brackets to
mount it to wall at each end.

Some fancy sewing at the top ff the curtains for a "pocket" to us as a sllde
for the curtains.

Witout the 'L' shaped steel piec, I can't see you panning that distance
without
significant sag in the rod / bar if there are no middle supports.

Una

Jan 15, 2008, 10:43:07 PM1/15/08
I have a >8 foot iron pipe rod for a quilted hanging. It does not sag.
It is black. It does not look like a pipe. I bought it in an upholstery
fabric shop.

Una

jo...@phred.org

Jan 15, 2008, 11:01:24 PM1/15/08
Personally, I'd use 4130 steel tubing, because I have it around anyway
for brazing things. A 10-foot span wouldn't be a problem for curtains
of reasonable weight.

--
jo...@phred.org is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

JoeSpareBedroom

Jan 16, 2008, 9:40:48 AM1/16/08
"ransley" <Mark_R...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

===========================

This is the best idea of all. The OP needs a trip to JC Penney's curtain
department. I've found that their people in this department really know what
they're talking about.

Mikepier

Jan 16, 2008, 11:47:30 AM1/16/08
thanks for your suggestions. I saw the traverse rod, but I don't think
that is what i was looking for. I might go for the pipe method. I
would have to choose from black steel, electrical EMT, or copper pipe
( it would be painted of course). I'm thinking 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" would
do.
The only question I guess is can I get end supports for the pipe from
curtain stores, and also how would the finials get put on the ends of
the pipe? Do they go over the pipe?

JoeSpareBedroom

Jan 16, 2008, 11:56:07 AM1/16/08
"Mikepier" <mike...@optonline.net> wrote in message

You're as likely to find curtain parts to fit your iron pipe as you are to
be crowned the king of Denmark. I think you'll find you're totally wingin'
it with this project. You might get lucky, but don't count on it. I'd bring
a small piece of pipe to the curtain store to see what parts fit.

Smitty Two

Jan 16, 2008, 12:10:49 PM1/16/08
In article
<028c1633-653b-4733...@v4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
Mikepier <mike...@optonline.net> wrote:

Several respondents have mentioned pipe, and one mentioned angle iron.
Absent from all of those comments, IIRC, was any mention of wall
thickness. Please take it into consideration.

You're not limited, either, to the three materials you mention. Tubing
is available in hundreds of materials.

As for your questions this time, perhaps you can select a pipe OD that
closely matches standard curtain rods; then the hangars and finials
should fit fine.

Norminn

Jan 16, 2008, 1:32:15 PM1/16/08
Mikepier wrote:

I bought bamboo for curtain rods because I have two triple sliders,
which require 13' rods. The
bamboo is a tad under 2" diam., I believe. I bought wood drawer pulls
(round), stained them, and
stuck them into the ends of the bamboo poles. You can stick a cork into
the end of whatever and
screw in any kind of finial you want to use.

You're going to have some pretty heavy rods if you use steel.

Mikepier

Jan 16, 2008, 2:18:23 PM1/16/08

Did you need supports? And where can I find bamboo rods?

Una

Jan 17, 2008, 12:43:04 AM1/17/08
I bought my pipe at an interior decorating (upholstery) store, along
with brackets and finials. There was a wide selection of brackets
and finials. The finials screw into the ends of the pipe.

Be smart: be sure to install the brackets holding your curtain rod
on studs inside the wall, or on framing or joists in the ceiling.
You may need to do a little planning re rod length to get it right.

Una

Message has been deleted

Dottie

Jan 18, 2008, 10:35:54 AM1/18/08

Let us know what you decide. I need to paint my great room but will
have to decide what to do about the windows....I have two sets of
sliding glass doors side by side. Right now I have a 15" topper going
all the way across with lots of supports ... and then vertical blinds
beneath. I want something easier to take down and wash (the rods are
those continental type that are a pain to take down and it is one
long piece).
Had thought about PVC pipe - painted - with those curtain rings that
slide across the poles.

pageen

Jun 5, 2015, 3:44:05 PM6/5/15
replying to Mikepier, pageen wrote:
I purchased a curtain that clips into the existing hardware for vertical
blinds. Then it opens and closes with the same wand that was used for the
vertical blinds. Purchased it at LTD - works great

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jun 5, 2015, 11:13:12 PM6/5/15
Or just get a common single ended traverse rod. It can have 5 or 6
supports and the curtains still slide all the way across - by simply
pulling a string - or you can get power operated traverse rods.

Lynn Chabot-Long

Sep 21, 2017, 8:14:05 PM9/21/17
replying to Norminn, Lynn Chabot-Long wrote:
Thanks for the reply, but where do you get curtains for these rods? They have
to be pinch pleats without back tabs. I've searched all over. They aren't
making them anymore.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/suggestions-for-a-8-foot-curtain-rod-without-middle-supports-281581-.htm

Wayne Boatwright

Sep 21, 2017, 10:23:37 PM9/21/17
On Thu 21 Sep 2017 05:14:02p, Lynn Chabot-Long told us...

> replying to Norminn, Lynn Chabot-Long wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, but where do you get curtains for these
> rods? They have to be pinch pleats without back tabs. I've
> searched all over. They aren't making them anymore.

One-way draw traverse rods are made to fit that length. They do
require at lest 2 or three center supports, but a traverse rod will
allow you to draw the drapery by simply pulling a cord. An alternative
to a cord system, is using a wand at the loose end.

Wayne Boatwright

Muggles

Sep 21, 2017, 10:31:10 PM9/21/17
On 9/21/2017 7:14 PM, Lynn Chabot-Long wrote:
> replying to Norminn, Lynn Chabot-Long wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, but where do you get curtains for these rods? They
> have
> to be pinch pleats without back tabs. I've searched all over. They aren't
> making them anymore.

Well, have you got a sewing machine?

--
Maggie

Wayne Boatwright

Sep 21, 2017, 11:38:48 PM9/21/17
On Thu 21 Sep 2017 07:23:32p, Wayne Boatwright told us...

> On Thu 21 Sep 2017 05:14:02p, Lynn Chabot-Long told us...
>
>> replying to Norminn, Lynn Chabot-Long wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply, but where do you get curtains for these
>> rods? They have to be pinch pleats without back tabs. I've
>> searched all over. They aren't making them anymore.
>>

> One-way draw traverse rods are made to fit that length. They do
> require at lest 2 or three center supports, but a traverse rod
> will allow you to draw the drapery by simply pulling a cord. An
> alternative to a cord system, is using a wand at the loose end.

It occurred to me that if your draperies are already made with pinch
pleats but no fasterers on the back, pin-on hooks have been used for
decades for just such a purpose. They come in different lengths and
configurations. The following is but one example:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/wamsutta-long-pin-on-
hooks-for-traverse-rods-set-of-14/1016470465?skuId=16470465
&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_windowtreatments_online&product_id=16470465
&adtype=pla_multichannel&product_channel=online&adpos=1o5&creative=
144120241137&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI99fg6-
231gIVg5R-Ch347QDIEAQYBSABEgLt2PD_BwE

RobbD

Nit

Sep 22, 2017, 4:21:58 AM9/22/17
> On Thu 21 Sep 2017 07:23:32p, Wayne Boatwright told us...
>
>> On Thu 21 Sep 2017 05:14:02p, Lynn Chabot-Long told us...
>>
>>> replying to Norminn, Lynn Chabot-Long wrote:
>>> Thanks for the reply, but where do you get curtains for these
>>> rods? They have to be pinch pleats without back tabs. I've
>>> searched all over. They aren't making them anymore.
>>>
>> One-way draw traverse rods are made to fit that length. They do
>> require at lest 2 or three center supports, but a traverse rod
>> will allow you to draw the drapery by simply pulling a cord. An
>> alternative to a cord system, is using a wand at the loose end.
>>
> It occurred to me that if your draperies are already made with pinch
> pleats but no fasterers on the back, pin-on hooks have been used for
> decades for just such a purpose. They come in different lengths and
> configurations. The following is but one example:
>
> https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/wamsutta-long-pin-on-
> hooks-for-traverse-rods-set-of-14/1016470465?skuId=16470465
> &mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_windowtreatments_online&product_id=16470465
> &adtype=pla_multichannel&product_channel=online&adpos=1o5&creative=
> 144120241137&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI99fg6-
> 231gIVg5R-Ch347QDIEAQYBSABEgLt2PD_BwE

Your url is a fubar.  Use this one:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/1/1016470465

Wayne Boatwright

Sep 22, 2017, 4:26:38 AM9/22/17
On Fri 22 Sep 2017 01:21:46a, Nit told us...
Thanks, and sorry!

Hidden Barb

Dec 18, 2017, 9:44:07 AM12/18/17
replying to Lynn Chabot-Long, Hidden Barb wrote:
They are called patio door or sliding door panels. They are one extra wide
panel that can be pulled to one side to allow access to the operable portion
of the door without having to open everything at once.