Panasonic DVD-LS850 Error H03 (any idea how to fix)?

sharon

Jan 18, 2010, 7:09:24 PM1/18/10
I bought a Panasonic DVD-LS850 and it came up with the Panasonic Error 02
within the Costco 90-day warrantee period. Now the new Panasonic DVDLS850
portable DVD player comes up with Panasonic Error H03.

When I put a movie DVD into the Panasonic DVD LS-850, it says "Reading" and
then "Error H03". The motor does not seem to spin. Nothing plays.

Any ideas what the problem is with this Panasonic DVD LS850 dvd player?

charlie

Jan 18, 2010, 7:33:51 PM1/18/10

what does the instruction manual say about it? if it doesn't, what does
panasonic say when you call the 800 # in the instruction manual?

Bill Hall

Jan 18, 2010, 7:55:08 PM1/18/10
Have you tried another (several) DVD! Some DVD's are not compatible with all
Players. Had this happen when I borrowed a DVD from a neighbor.

HTH

Bill In Plano
"charlie" <chan...@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message

Pete C.

Jan 18, 2010, 8:23:00 PM1/18/10

The fix is pretty simple - Don't buy Panasonic or any other MatsuSHITa
brands. I've had extensive experience with a lot of their equipment and
similar equipment from more reputable companies like Sony, Hitachi, etc.
and have found the MatsuSHITa brands have problems at 100X+ the rate of
other brands.

Tony Hwang

Jan 18, 2010, 8:52:16 PM1/18/10
Hmmm,
Quite opposite here I had lots of grief with Sony, no trouble with
Panasonic. My HT has Panasonic Plasma, Blue ray player. Never had trouble.

Mike S.

Jan 18, 2010, 8:55:55 PM1/18/10

In article <hj2t5g$csf$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,

H03 means the laser sled is stuck.

The sled motor may have failed, or more likely the sled which moves the
optical pickup is gunked up with dried lubricant.

Slide it back and forth see if it comes free. If it does, try re-lube
with light oil.

William Brammer

Jan 18, 2010, 9:11:54 PM1/18/10
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 01:55:55 +0000 (UTC), Mike S. wrote:

> H03 means the laser sled is stuck.

> Slide it back and forth see if it comes free. If it does, try re-lube
> with light oil.

Mike is right. Calling Panasonic will be a waste of time as they'll just
tell you to send it in.

H03 in a Panasonic DVD player almost always means the laser sled is stuck
on the worm gear. When you open the DVD player, the laser sled is supposed
to be near the spindle.

What happens is, for whatever reason, the laser sled gets stuck near the
outskirts on the worm gear. You won't be able to slide it inward because
it's on a worm gear, but, all you need to do is move the little tiny 5mm
wide plastic toothed gear on the end of the worm shaft to move the sled
back to the spindle.

You'll need to remove the battery, open up the bottom of the DVD player
(about a dozen small phillips screws), and then rotate with a small
flathead screwdriver the little toothed plastic gear on the far end of the
worm shaft.

Rotating that plastic gear will move the sled back to near the spindle
where it belongs. I'm not sure how to lubricate the worm shaft when you're
done, I guess a dab of automotive grease might help, but that's about it.

You'd think Panasonic would make smarter equipment but if everything were
this easy to fix, life would be a breeze!

Arfa Daily

Jan 18, 2010, 9:17:44 PM1/18/10

"William Brammer" <bramme...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Automotive grease is too heavy for this job. If the manufacturer-original
lubricant is not available, use instead a light synthetic oil. I use a
product from Electrolube called "CMO" (Clear Mechanical Oil), which is in
an aerosol can, and has excellent 'cling' properties on both plastic and
metal, so is ideal to lubricate laser slides and drives.

Arfa

William Brammer

Jan 18, 2010, 9:27:16 PM1/18/10
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 02:17:44 -0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

> Automotive grease is too heavy for this job.

> use instead a light synthetic oil [that] has excellent 'cling' properties
> on both plastic and metal ... to lubricate laser slides and drives.

Arfa is right. I stand corrected.

The gears in the Panasonic portable DVD player are really small. The worm
shaft is metal but it's only about a mm or two mm in diameter and about
half a DVD diameter in length. The little tiny plastic toothed gear which
spins the worm gear is about 5 or 6mm in diameter and only a half mm or 1
mm in thickness, with correspondingly tiny plastic teeth which can't handle
much force.

If you put automotive grease on all that, it might gum up the works. I just
noticed Mike suggested a "light oil" as did Arfa so let's all suggest a
light oil of some sort that works with plastic and metal.

Maybe simple household 3-in-1 oil might be best.

sharon

Jan 19, 2010, 6:44:41 AM1/19/10
Hi Everyone,
It worked! The Panasonic DVD LS 850 "laser sled" was stuck on the outside
circle. Moving the sled back to the center fixed the problem! Thanks!

ransley

Jan 19, 2010, 8:06:38 AM1/19/10

Ive bought lemmons and returned them and got another lemmon with same
product run defect. When I now return something I get something
different or a diffferent run, there are a whole batch of your
machines out there defective from one poorly made part. It will likely
break again and maybe your warranty will be then expired, that big 30
or 90 day joke, return what you have and get a different make or
model, they will understand

Jules

Jan 19, 2010, 8:36:09 AM1/19/10
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:27:16 -0800, William Brammer wrote:
> If you put automotive grease on all that, it might gum up the works. I just
> noticed Mike suggested a "light oil" as did Arfa so let's all suggest a
> light oil of some sort that works with plastic and metal.

Anyone remember the name of the stuff they usually use for small gears?
It's more like a cream, looks like yoghurt (it's a very light grease, I
suppose). I used to see it on things like floppy drive mechanisms all the
time.

cheers

Jules

mcp6453

Jan 19, 2010, 9:12:29 AM1/19/10

Years and years ago we used to use a material called Lubriplate. I don't think
it was anything special, but it was intended for electronic equipment.

Pete C.

Jan 19, 2010, 9:31:26 AM1/19/10

Well, you've been lucky, or I've been unlucky. Much of the experience
was with the industrial video lines of the various companies, and with
Panasonic I had problems with stuff new out of the box while the Sony
equivalent that has 4 years of being beat around in the field was still
working flawlessly. My experience wasn't limited to just industrial
video however, and I have had problems with such items as Panasonic
phone system components, OEM computer monitors in industrial CNC
controls, etc. I avoid all MatsuSHITa like the plague now.

bud--

Jan 18, 2010, 9:57:01 PM1/18/10
Mike S. wrote:

> H03 means the laser sled is stuck.

Is there somewhere you can look up error codes (Panasonic and other)?

Pete C.

Jan 19, 2010, 11:33:53 AM1/19/10

Lubriplate is a brand, there are a lot of different products under the
lubriplate name.

Arfa Daily

Jan 19, 2010, 1:29:41 PM1/19/10

"Jules" <jules.rich...@remove.this.gmail.com> wrote in message

The name Sony used to use, as I recall, was "Floil". Exactly the description
you give.

Arfa

Message has been deleted

Sansui Samari

Jan 21, 2010, 3:40:02 AM1/21/10
On Jan 19, 10:40 am, Meat Plow wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 18:29:41 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
> <arfa.da...@ntlworld.com>wrote:
>

> >"Jules" <jules.richardsonn...@remove.this.gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've used white lithium made for electronic mech lube for many years.

The white grease in electronics is usually lithium grease, but it
comes in various viscosities. Sometimes it's a little thick on
purpose, to keep it from flying off of mechanical parts and screwing
other things up. There are probably thousands of different specialty
greases and oils out there. When I worked in a board shop, we had
grease that would be good up too 900+ degrees, for lubricating the
pump in the solder bath. That stuff was awesome, but cost like $1500
a tube from Germany. It's always good to find something with the same
characteristics as the original lubricant, when possible. Although,
I've even used petroleum jelly in a pinch.

Well, there's my two cents on grease.

-J

plomb...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2014, 4:46:21 PM1/23/14
On Monday, January 18, 2010 7:09:24 PM UTC-5, sharon wrote:
> I bought a Panasonic DVD-LS850 and it came up with the Panasonic Error 02
> within the Costco 90-day warrantee period. Now the new Panasonic DVDLS850
> portable DVD player comes up with Panasonic Error H03.

Had same issue and fix this worked for me! Thank you! -Paul

> When I put a movie DVD into the Panasonic DVD LS-850, it says "Reading" and
> then "Error H03". The motor does not seem to spin. Nothing plays.
>
> Any ideas what the problem is with this Panasonic DVD LS850 dvd player?

H03 in a Panasonic DVD player almost always means the laser sled is stuck
on the worm gear. When you open the DVD player, the laser sled is supposed
to be near the spindle.

What happens is, for whatever reason, the laser sled gets stuck near the
outskirts on the worm gear. You won't be able to slide it inward because
it's on a worm gear, but, all you need to do is move the little tiny 5mm
wide plastic toothed gear on the end of the worm shaft to move the sled

naveed...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2015, 5:08:24 AM6/19/15
No idea I also has this problem

Tony Hwang

Jun 20, 2015, 10:09:12 AM6/20/15
naveed...@gmail.com wrote:
> No idea I also has this problem

Sled motor stuck. Maybe motor is bad.
Open it up and see if it moves.
DVD players a cheap, just throw it out
and get new one.

Uncle Monster

Jun 20, 2015, 10:24:42 AM6/20/15
Use it for target practice and post the video to YouTube. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Video Monster

kimberly...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2015, 5:05:19 PM10/8/15

I bought a Panasonic DVD-LS850 and it came up with the Panasonic Error 02
within the Costco 90-day warrantee period. Now the new Panasonic DVDLS850
portable DVD player comes up with Panasonic Error H03.

When I put a movie DVD into the Panasonic DVD LS-850, it says "Reading" and
then "Error H03"..

And this kept happening over and over and over Do you know how to fix it?

Don Y

Oct 8, 2015, 5:26:47 PM10/8/15
Chances are, the "sled" that moves the optical pickup is stuck.
Gummy grease on the screw, etc.

As moving the optical pickup from above (i.e., from the outside of the
case) is typically impractical (and will probably break or strip the
screw drive), you're only recourse will be to disassemble the unit
and *rotate* the screw drive to "break it free" from whatever has
bound it in place.

If the unit sees only infrequent use, this is a common problem.

[It's also possible that the drive motor for the sled is dead -- or,
the drive electronics. But, Occam's Razor suggests the mechanism
is just gunked up. This was a common problem with floppy disk drives
as well...]

Kenny

Oct 9, 2015, 4:00:09 PM10/9/15
Most likely the spindle motor is sticking, Panasonic DVD players were known
for this, a drop of light machine oil or WD 40 often works. This is for a
different model but mechanism will be much the same.
https://josephhall.org/dvd-rp62/How%20to%20fix%20the%20H07%20%28HO7%29%20Error%20on%20your%20Panasonic%20DVD%20player.html

Kenny

wrote in message

Don Y

Oct 9, 2015, 4:20:32 PM10/9/15
On 10/9/2015 1:00 PM, Kenny wrote:
> Most likely the spindle motor is sticking, Panasonic DVD players were known for
> this, a drop of light machine oil or WD 40 often works. This is for a
> different model but mechanism will be much the same.

Spindle motor is easy to check: insert media and note which "direction"
it is facing (i.e., label at top, left, right, etc.). Then, see which
direction it is facing *later*. Repeat a few times. If it always
"seems" to be in the same orientation, then motor isn't spinning.

I'd, instead, assume the optical pickup isn't responding to motion
commands (its harder to "catch it red handed" to see if it HAS
moved as it wants to return to a fixed position). You can try to defeat
the cover interlock and watch -- spindle *and* sled -- if you are careful
about where you put your eyes...

[I long ago stopped fixing portable DVD players *and* home DVD
players. A laptop serves as a great portable DVD player. And,
a 5" DVD drive in a small tower or SFF PC is far easier to maintain
than a consumer DVD player!]