Dewalt 18V battery repair hoax?

mattme...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2007, 6:59:39 PM11/13/07
I think my DeWalt 18V batteries are on their last legs. The drill
still works okay, but when ripping 2x4's into 2x2's with the circ-saw,
I get about done with one before the saw doesn't want to go anymore.
Maybe it's the saw, but me-thinks it's the batteries since they're
about 5 years old. Anyway, looking on ebay for new batteries since HD
wants $80 apiece, I see several people selling "How to repair your old
battery packs - like new performance" guides. These claim to be able
to repair old batteries, specifically for tools, for either nothing,
or at most $2.00. I know a little about electronics and battery
chemistry, and I'm pretty sure that when NiCD batteries die, its the
chemistry inside that's the cause. Without putting in new cells, I
don't think there's much you can do and new cells cost a lot more than
$2.00 (at least the amount I'd need for an 18V pack). Just curious if
anyone has tried to repair batteries on your own, and if so what was
the result and what did it cost?

given @bogus.com Red Grass

Nov 13, 2007, 7:45:52 PM11/13/07
If you got a Batteries Plus store around you may want to give them a shot. I
inquired there one time and it seems they were about 60% of new cost to
rebuild your old with new batteries in your case. This is the reason though
that I have replaced my last two drills. It only cost about 30% more to just
buy an entire new drill with batteries, charger, and case.
Joe

<mattme...@gmail.com> wrote in message

dicko

Nov 13, 2007, 7:54:25 PM11/13/07

No, you cant really repair a Nicad cell. If its shorted, you can try
to blow the whisker out thats punctured the internal insulator but it
usually doesnt work, and if it does, it usually comes right back. If
the cells are reversed polatiry, you can try to jump them with a good
cell and that sometimes brings them back, but again, it usually doesnt
last for long. And if the cells are just leaky and self discharge
overnight, well, nothing you can do there.

The local Farm & Fleet store is currently selling two 18V batteries
for $110, which is a bit better than $80 for one. Home Depot has had
this deal in the past too.

Also, when rebuilding the packs, the Dewalt packs use 2 AmpHour
cells, the cheaper cells that some rebuilders use, and even the
similar Black & Decker 18V packs, are only 1 AH so you have to be
careful.

-dickm

DerbyDad03

Nov 14, 2007, 12:13:51 AM11/14/07

Do you have a B&D repair shop near you? They might have a better
price.

A few (many?) years ago I took a couple of 3 YO 12V Dewalt batteries
and the charger in to see if they would test them for me. They said
the charger was fine but the batteries were shot. They offered me
this: Buy one, and they'd give me one. Who could argue?

Joseph Meehan

Nov 14, 2007, 7:59:47 AM11/14/07
There is no repair for the batteries. Some chargers do have a special
cycle for the older batteries to help squeeze a little more life out of
them, but it is not that much.

It is possible to rebuild the battery with new cells. Some places will
do this for you or you can buy the cells and do it yourself if you are
rather handy at such things.

You may want to consider buying new batteries and consider non-DeWalt
brands to save money and maybe getting some higher capacity batteries.

Now having said that, also take a good look at your tools. Are they
getting close to the end of their life? is there a better model out there.
Often buying a new tool is little more than buying the batteries that come
with it. Some times it is even less. Most battery operated tools are not
designed for long life and should be considered expendable.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

DerbyDad03

Nov 14, 2007, 8:15:46 AM11/14/07
On Nov 14, 7:59 am, "Joseph Meehan" <sligoNoSPAM...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> There is no repair for the batteries. Some chargers do have a special
> cycle for the older batteries to help squeeze a little more life out of
> them, but it is not that much.
>
> It is possible to rebuild the battery with new cells. Some places will
> do this for you or you can buy the cells and do it yourself if you are
> rather handy at such things.
>
> You may want to consider buying new batteries and consider non-DeWalt
> brands to save money and maybe getting some higher capacity batteries.
>
> Now having said that, also take a good look at your tools. Are they
> getting close to the end of their life? is there a better model out there.
> Often buying a new tool is little more than buying the batteries that come
> with it. Some times it is even less. Most battery operated tools are not
> designed for long life and should be considered expendable.
>
> <mattmeitz...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I think my DeWalt 18V batteries are on their last legs. The drill
> > still works okay, but when ripping 2x4's into 2x2's with the circ-saw,
> > I get about done with one before the saw doesn't want to go anymore.
> > Maybe it's the saw, but me-thinks it's the batteries since they're
> > about 5 years old. Anyway, looking on ebay for new batteries since HD
> > wants $80 apiece, I see several people selling "How to repair your old
> > battery packs - like new performance" guides. These claim to be able
> > to repair old batteries, specifically for tools, for either nothing,
> > or at most $2.00. I know a little about electronics and battery
> > chemistry, and I'm pretty sure that when NiCD batteries die, its the
> > chemistry inside that's the cause. Without putting in new cells, I
> > don't think there's much you can do and new cells cost a lot more than
> > $2.00 (at least the amount I'd need for an 18V pack). Just curious if
> > anyone has tried to repair batteries on your own, and if so what was
> > the result and what did it cost?
>
> --
> Joseph Meehan
>
> Dia 's Muire duit- Hide quoted text -

I agree with your upgrade vs. replace the batteries concept.

When my second set of 12V Dewalt batteries started to go bad, the
drill was also getting a bit tired. Since the 18 Volts were available,
along with a number of standalone tools that would take the same
batteries, I decide to upgrade.

I was at a volunteer function, building some ramps for a Soap Box
Derby race when the clutch on my 12V started to slip. That was all the
incentive I needed to trash it. I asked everyone to step back and
tossed the drill as high as I could and let it come down on the
blacktop. The battery popped out. I put it back in and started the
drill. Once again, I tossed the drill as high as I could and let it
come down on the blacktop. The battery popped out. I put it back in
and started the drill.

OK, time to get serious. I duct taped the battery into the drill and
tossed it again. It took 3 tries with the battery taped in before
there was significant enough damage that the drill wouldn't work
anymore.

Gotta love a well made tool.

mattme...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2007, 9:20:03 AM11/14/07
The charger I'm using is one of those that automatically enters a
"renewal cycle" once the full charge is complete. The batteries are
just about 5-6 years old, so I guess I should just be happy I've
gotten this much out of them. I see now on eBay new batteries for
about $40, so maybe I'll just get one of these. I read up on
rebuilding my own, and it looks like the NiCAD cells will cost me
about $32-$35 after shipping and all, and while they'll likely have a
little higher mA, it's just not worth it to me for the extra $5 for a
new one.

Also, my tools are still pretty good. 18V is plenty for all my
applications, and they are built like tanks. I've dropped em more
times than I'll admit and they never stop for a second.

One question tho - you mentioned "non-dewalt brands" for batteries -
do you know of any that are compatible with Dewalt tools?

Chris Lewis

Nov 14, 2007, 12:58:13 PM11/14/07
According to dicko <dr...@universalclock.com>:

> No, you cant really repair a Nicad cell. If its shorted, you can try
> to blow the whisker out thats punctured the internal insulator but it
> usually doesnt work, and if it does, it usually comes right back. If
> the cells are reversed polatiry, you can try to jump them with a good
> cell and that sometimes brings them back, but again, it usually doesnt
> last for long. And if the cells are just leaky and self discharge
> overnight, well, nothing you can do there.

I've done a few experiments, and the "blow the whiskers" trick
usually works to a certain extent, but I wouldn't expect it
to be particularly effective or longlasting on an oldish NiCd cell.

Eg: if the cell is leaking, this _might_ make it work for a while,
but you can betcha not for long.

But on a reasonably new battery that mischarged for some reason
might just come back to operation for the rest of its normal
expected lifetime. If the cell is a year or two old, it
can't hurt to try. 5 years? Probably not.

The $13.95 (or whatever it is) set of instructions sold on eBay
(and elsewhere) are exactly that. Whisker zapping. With the usual
"our customers say" bullcrap.

Rebuilding the pack can sometimes be a good option. I had
a Dewalt (but rebranded) 12V pack that said it was 1.7AH
rebuilt. With 2.2AH cells. Works better/more capacity than
even brand-new Dewalt XRP packs. Whisker zapping wouldn't
have accomplished that. Obviously.

Remember these tools are usually made with the cheapest cells they
can get away with that meet their performance/marketing goals.

A battery rebuilder is aiming at a professional market with
very demanding requirements, doesn't suffer from the same
"make it as cheap as possible!" pricing pressures, and it
makes a big difference to their survival if the battery
doesn't perform - they rely on repeat business.

So they'll probably be installing much better cells than
the tool had originally.

You pay more for the better quality obviously. Depending
on what you need the tool for, it may be the best choice. Or
it might be a waste.

[Which reminds me I have to get another one of those rebranded
packs rebuilt. I keep thinking I should double check whether
my charger is compatible with NiMH. Even with AA, I'd get
more capacity (2.7AH), but SC cells are around 4-5AH. And it'd
be lighter... 12V external pack made with NiMH C's. 10AH.
And it'd _still_ be lighter. Whoo! ;-) Ah heck, just use
a car battery ;-)]
--
Chris Lewis,

AZ Nomad

Nov 14, 2007, 1:10:02 PM11/14/07
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:58:13 -0000, Chris Lewis <cle...@nortelnetworks.com> wrote:

>According to dicko <dr...@universalclock.com>:

>> No, you cant really repair a Nicad cell. If its shorted, you can try
>> to blow the whisker out thats punctured the internal insulator but it
>> usually doesnt work, and if it does, it usually comes right back. If
>> the cells are reversed polatiry, you can try to jump them with a good
>> cell and that sometimes brings them back, but again, it usually doesnt
>> last for long. And if the cells are just leaky and self discharge
>> overnight, well, nothing you can do there.

>I've done a few experiments, and the "blow the whiskers" trick
>usually works to a certain extent, but I wouldn't expect it
>to be particularly effective or longlasting on an oldish NiCd cell.

I've yet to see that trick last a whole three cycles.

Bob

Nov 14, 2007, 3:26:45 PM11/14/07

"Joseph Meehan" <sligoNo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> There is no repair for the batteries. Some chargers do have a
> special cycle for the older batteries to help squeeze a little
> more life out of them, but it is not that much.
>
> It is possible to rebuild the battery with new cells. Some
> places will do this for you or you can buy the cells and do it
> yourself if you are rather handy at such things.
>
> You may want to consider buying new batteries and consider
> non-DeWalt brands to save money and maybe getting some higher
> capacity batteries.
<clip>

It is WAY past time for standardization of battery power packs. No
reason for each company to have its own footprint which excludes
using any other battery than the one they sell.

If battery footprints were standardized by voltage (all 12 v, all 18
v. etc) than there would be after-market companies making and
selling these packs. Some might be good, some might be lousy, but
we would soon find out which was which and overall, the price would
come considerably.

Of course, few companies want this competition, so this is a long
way off.

Bob-tx

Chris Lewis

Nov 14, 2007, 3:40:04 PM11/14/07
According to Bob <bobw...@suddenlink.net>:

> It is WAY past time for standardization of battery power packs. No
> reason for each company to have its own footprint which excludes
> using any other battery than the one they sell.

Look around, there are aftermarket suppliers for many different
battery types.

I saw one site that listed about 10 different Dewalt 12V packs,
all the way from 1.7AH to 3AH.

Edwin Pawlowski

Nov 14, 2007, 3:46:28 PM11/14/07

"Chris Lewis" <cle...@nortelnetworks.com> wrote in message

> Look around, there are aftermarket suppliers for many different
> battery types.

There are many good rebuilders also. I've used www.primecell.com Had to
14.4 packs upgraded for more power for $86 including shipping.

DerbyDad03

Nov 14, 2007, 3:47:29 PM11/14/07

At first you said:

No reason for each company to have its own footprint which excludes
using any other battery than the one they sell.

Then you posted the reason:

Of course, few companies want this competition, so this is a long way
off.

;-)

Oren

Nov 14, 2007, 6:06:45 PM11/14/07
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:46:28 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net>
wrote:

Excellent information on this site and they upgrade the AH for the
battery. They just need the case... I'll be sending them two oldies.

Mike Dobony

Nov 14, 2007, 7:18:43 PM11/14/07

"Joseph Meehan" <sligoNo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> There is no repair for the batteries. Some chargers do have a special
> cycle for the older batteries to help squeeze a little more life out of
> them, but it is not that much.
>
> It is possible to rebuild the battery with new cells. Some places will
> do this for you or you can buy the cells and do it yourself if you are
> rather handy at such things.
>
> You may want to consider buying new batteries and consider non-DeWalt
> brands to save money and maybe getting some higher capacity batteries.
>
> Now having said that, also take a good look at your tools. Are they
> getting close to the end of their life? is there a better model out there.
> Often buying a new tool is little more than buying the batteries that come
> with it. Some times it is even less. Most battery operated tools are
> not designed for long life and should be considered expendable.

2 batteries - $120
New drill kit - $279

New drill kit is over double the price of 2 new batteries

dicko

Nov 14, 2007, 7:19:23 PM11/14/07
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 06:20:03 -0800, mattme...@gmail.com wrote:

>One question tho - you mentioned "non-dewalt brands" for batteries -
>do you know of any that are compatible with Dewalt tools?

Some older Black and Decker packs are compatible with Dewalt except
for a plastic "key" on the case. I dont recall if the Firestorm
batteries fall in this category or not. All you had to do was file
off this key and the pack would plug into the Dewalt charger.

Off course you then had a crappier, lower capacity battery than the
original Dewalt so you really never wanted to do this. But in an
emergency, it worked fine.

-dickm

Chris Lewis

Nov 16, 2007, 1:06:41 AM11/16/07
According to dicko <dr...@universalclock.com>:

> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 06:20:03 -0800, mattme...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> >One question tho - you mentioned "non-dewalt brands" for batteries -
> >do you know of any that are compatible with Dewalt tools?
>
> Some older Black and Decker packs are compatible with Dewalt except
> for a plastic "key" on the case. I dont recall if the Firestorm
> batteries fall in this category or not. All you had to do was file
> off this key and the pack would plug into the Dewalt charger.

I have a Mastercraft 12V hammer drill (Mastercraft is Canadian Tire brand,
it was a rebadged B&D I think), that has batteries that will work
directly in the regular 12V Dewalts, but the capacity is lower (1.7AH).

The Mastercraft batteries expose the shell of one cell, and the charger
also contacts it (three leads in total).

The mastercraft charger will not charge Dewalt batteries, but Dewalt
batteries _do_ fit. The Dewalt charger will charge both, no mods
needed to the mastercrafts.

I believe the mastercraft batteries are B&D Firestorm packs. I
seem to remember the same charger/battery interoperating quirk.

> Off course you then had a crappier, lower capacity battery than the
> original Dewalt so you really never wanted to do this. But in an
> emergency, it worked fine.

Alternate vendors aren't necessarily bad.

Check out http://www.global-batteries.ca/index.php/cPath/5_97

This sells compatibles for many portable drill lines. The above
link is just for Dewalt. It has a variety of 12V Dewalt packs from 1.5AH
to 3AH. Dewalt XRPs are only 2 or 2.2AH I think. The 3AH pack
is NiMH, not NiCd. 3AH for $42 - about half of what a new 2 (2.2?) AH
XRP costs at places like Home Depot.

Global batteries is one of several names for the same outfit. This is
one of the Canadian versions. There are US specific versions.

They ship out of California, but I think is HQ'd in Hong Kong.

I have purchased a lithium laptop battery and a number of NiMH cells
from these guys. Have been quite pleased with the service and the
batteries themselves. Delivery is quite quick, and shipping costs
are quite reasonable considering it's transborder.

longman

Jul 1, 2011, 3:38:28 PM7/1/11
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Dewalt-18V-battery-repair-hoax-266094-.htm
longman wrote:
The Battery Resurrection process you talk about can bring a battery back
to life, so it can be charged again, by zapping the internal cell shorts.
If someone expects the battery to become like a new one then they will be
disappointed in most cases. Because batteries are expensive, it is worth
trying to Resurrect them - some can give really good service.
Battery rebuilding is a good option, but it can cost close to a new
battery.
A new universal battery is available that will run any brand tool at any
voltage called the Rambo Battery. I really like that you can use super
high power NiMH cells on a NiCad only tool or even on a Li-ion tool. It is
the most universal cordless tool battery I've ever seen.
For your circular saw problem of not enough power, there is a Rambo
Battery that will allow you to put 3 batteries on 1 bandoleer and you can
use high power cells and even over voltage the saw and it will just keep
cutting until you get tired out. Just do a search for rambobattery

mattme...@gmail.com wrote:

-------------------------------------

Art Todesco

Jul 1, 2011, 7:14:41 PM7/1/11
I just recently bought 2 new 18V battery packs which I use for a
circular saw, recip saw and fluorescent lamp. After a few weeks, I
happened on a special at Lowe's. For about $25 more than I paid for
the batteries (and I did get a good price from an ebay store), I
could have bought 2 batteries, a drill and a charger. I could just
kick myself. You can always use another drill .......... Oh well,
maybe in 3 to 5 years, I'll find a similar deal.

Jim Yanik

Jul 1, 2011, 8:46:41 PM7/1/11
longman <soupbone_at...@foo.com> wrote in

> responding to
> http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Dewalt-18V-battery-repair-hoax

> -266094-.htm longman wrote:
> The Battery Resurrection process you talk about can bring a battery
> back to life, so it can be charged again, by zapping the internal cell
> shorts. If someone expects the battery to become like a new one then
> they will be disappointed in most cases. Because batteries are
> expensive, it is worth trying to Resurrect them - some can give really
> good service. Battery rebuilding is a good option, but it can cost
> close to a new battery.
> A new universal battery is available that will run any brand tool at
> any voltage called the Rambo Battery. I really like that you can use
> super high power NiMH cells on a NiCad only tool or even on a Li-ion
> tool. It is the most universal cordless tool battery I've ever seen.
> For your circular saw problem of not enough power, there is a Rambo
> Battery that will allow you to put 3 batteries on 1 bandoleer and you
> can use high power cells and even over voltage the saw and it will
> just keep cutting until you get tired out. Just do a search for
> rambobattery

this is just a cloth belt(bandolier style) holding individual cells that
you wire to suit your tool,and use one of your dead battery packs as the
"adapter".
you have to buy the belt,and buy the separate cells.
It turns your cordless tool into a corded tool.

the balance of your tool will also be altered.

A method of converting an old battery pack into one that can be easily
reopened(screw fasteners) and individual cells replaced(without soldering
or welding) by the end user would be far better.

BTW,for an 18V pack,you could replace all the old cells with five 18650
2500mAH Li-ion cells and have a lighter pack,but you'd need to make a
custom smartcharger for the new battery chemistry.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

oldcha...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2014, 3:25:30 PM2/12/14
A battery is made up of a number of cells (1.2volts each).Usually one or more cells fail, so I buy a number of "non-working batteries", put them on the charger, then strip them apart and check the voltage of each cell. Mark all the ones which are significantly less than 1.2volts, (then scrap them),then make as many good batteries as you can from the good cells.
HTH
oldchadders

bob haller

Feb 12, 2014, 4:11:11 PM2/12/14
primecell.com does a excellent job, the new cells are higher capacity and the price is reasonable....

Mike

Feb 13, 2014, 12:01:44 PM2/13/14
On 2/12/2014 4:11 PM, bob haller wrote:
> primecell.com does a excellent job....

Maybe for some folks. I had 2 12V packs rebuilt by them and they both
failed in less than 4 months. The Dewalt pack I bought to get me by
while those were being rebuilt is still going strong 5 years later.

Oren

Feb 13, 2014, 12:38:10 PM2/13/14
It would cost me $150, plus shipping both ways to have them repair my
three 18V Bosch batteries.

I recently bought the Rockwell 3rill with 2 12V Li-Ion batteries,
charger and pouch for $99.99 Great for around the house. 3 year
warranty and free battery replacement for the life of the tool.

<https://www.rockwelltools.com/en-US/12v_lithium_3rill.aspx>

I'll likely sell the Bosch tools now, and buy a corded Bosch jig saw.

bob haller

Feb 13, 2014, 5:15:11 PM2/13/14
did you call and report the premature failure? They shoulds of rebuilt the packs again for free

Oren

Feb 13, 2014, 6:29:32 PM2/13/14
On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 14:15:11 -0800 (PST), bob haller <hal...@aol.com>
wrote:

>> Maybe for some folks. I had 2 12V packs rebuilt by them and they both
>>
>> failed in less than 4 months. The Dewalt pack I bought to get me by
>>
>> while those were being rebuilt is still going strong 5 years later.
>
>did you call and report the premature failure? They shoulds of rebuilt the packs again for free

Would that include free shipping for both directions the second time?

Mike

Feb 13, 2014, 8:10:45 PM2/13/14
Not according to them.

drew.ea...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2014, 1:01:26 PM12/20/14
Thought I'd be slick an get a better deal by having all my 18v dewalt batteries rebuilt. So I took them to batteries plus. Since I had severerl they quoted me $46 per battery that's a few $'s cheaper than buying new ones. Terrible luck with them. They provided a 6 month warranty & claimed the batteries they used were far better. They were crap from the beginning. I thought maybe they would get better after being charged a few times. Not the case just worse. At about 5 months they really started getting bad. I took them back to the store & they put them on a tester an claimed they were ok. B.S. at 6 months their all dead!!

Oren

Dec 20, 2014, 3:37:47 PM12/20/14
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 10:01:22 -0800 (PST), drew.ea...@gmail.com
wrote:

>Thought I'd be slick an get a better deal by having all my 18v dewalt batteries rebuilt. So I took them to batteries plus. Since I had severerl they quoted me $46 per battery that's a few $'s cheaper than buying new ones. Terrible luck with them. They provided a 6 month warranty & claimed the batteries they used were far better. They were crap from the beginning. I thought maybe they would get better after being charged a few times. Not the case just worse. At about 5 months they really started getting bad. I took them back to the store & they put them on a tester an claimed they were ok. B.S. at 6 months their all dead!!

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.
--
Somtimes you just have a bad day at the dungeon
Message has been deleted

Oren

Dec 20, 2014, 4:55:51 PM12/20/14
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 13:19:02 -0800 (PST), nj48f...@gmail.com wrote:

>IDK why anyone would have batteries rebuilt if new are available for
>a few $'s more.

Newer cells are available? Better performance? The re builder is what
would be important. Battery OEM cells are not sitting on shelves for
years. I'd not use a local "battery plus" store. Prime cell dot com
can do a better job.

Me? I'm moving away from battery tools, except in one case, for minor
home work - DIY repair. They are great if you have no power on a work
site. I'm not spending $150 to rebuild 3 18v batteries when I can plug
a tool into a 120v power receptacle / outlet.

CRNG

Dec 20, 2014, 5:09:59 PM12/20/14
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 13:19:02 -0800 (PST), nj48f...@gmail.com wrote
in <ce26704e-13d8-4629...@googlegroups.com>
>IDK why anyone would have batteries rebuilt if new are available for
>a few $'s more.

I've heard several complaints about Batteries+. Read more here

http://batteries-plus.pissedconsumer.com/

hrho...@sbcglobal.net

Dec 20, 2014, 11:30:11 PM12/20/14
To Drew,

Are you sure that the charger was working correctly????

Jerr...@spamblocked.com

Dec 21, 2014, 6:00:02 AM12/21/14
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 16:10:00 -0600, CRNG <noe...@atthisdomain.gov>
wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 13:19:02 -0800 (PST), nj48f...@gmail.com wrote
>in <ce26704e-13d8-4629...@googlegroups.com>
>
>>On Saturday, December 20, 2014 3:37:47 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
>>> On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 10:01:22 -0800 (PST), drew.ea...@gmail.com
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.
>>> --
>>> Somtimes you just have a bad day at the dungeon
>>
>>IDK why anyone would have batteries rebuilt if new are available for
>>a few $'s more.
>
>I've heard several complaints about Batteries+. Read more here
>
>http://batteries-plus.pissedconsumer.com/

I had a cheap $20 PREPAID cell phone that needed a battery. Batteries+
quoted me about $52 for the replacement battery. I told the guy I'll
just buy another phone. But then I found a NEW battery on Ebay for $5.

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 21, 2014, 10:01:51 AM12/21/14
On 12/21/2014 5:58 AM, Jerr...@spamblocked.com wrote:

> I had a cheap $20 PREPAID cell phone that needed a battery. Batteries+
> quoted me about $52 for the replacement battery. I told the guy I'll
> just buy another phone. But then I found a NEW battery on Ebay for $5.

Pays to shop around. Rebuilding makes sense for some batteries, but the
price of new seems to be coming down. I have a Panasonic 15.6V drill.
To rebuild, it is about $60 plus shipping. List price for new is $90,
but I can buy new at $69 with shipping included.

amdx

Dec 21, 2014, 10:05:07 AM12/21/14
On 12/20/2014 3:19 PM, nj48f...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, December 20, 2014 3:37:47 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
> IDK why anyone would have batteries rebuilt if new are available for
> a few $'s more.

Back in Sept. 2009 I had my Dewalt batteries rebuilt by MTO Battery.
The replaced the NiCad batteries with NiMH batteries. The NiMH batteries
have worked fine, I'm still using them. However over 5 years later one
of those batteries does not hold a charge as well as when new.
When I noted this I started looking into another rebuild, but I found
sellers online had new batteries much cheaper than a rebuild. So I
bought new Nicad's and now have 4 batteries with two drills. Ah, maybe
3-1/2 batteries, as one is failing.
Mikek

Ralph Mowery

Dec 21, 2014, 10:18:12 AM12/21/14

"amdx" <noj...@knology.net> wrote in message

>> IDK why anyone would have batteries rebuilt if new are available for
>> a few $'s more.
>>

> Back in Sept. 2009 I had my Dewalt batteries rebuilt by MTO Battery.
> The replaced the NiCad batteries with NiMH batteries. The NiMH batteries
> have worked fine, I'm still using them. However over 5 years later one of
> those batteries does not hold a charge as well as when new.
> When I noted this I started looking into another rebuild, but I found
> sellers online had new batteries much cheaper than a rebuild. So I bought
> new Nicad's and now have 4 batteries with two drills. Ah, maybe 3-1/2
> batteries, as one is failing.
> Mikek

Seems that most of the Dewalt batteries are around $ 50 or more. For about
$ 100 , maybe less on a big sell you can get a new drill, 2 batteries and
charger.
Not sure if the drill is as high a quality as the origional ones. For no
more than I use one, the $ 100 special is fine for me.

---

Col. Edmund Burke

Dec 21, 2014, 11:35:53 AM12/21/14
"Oren" <Or...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
#Oren, do you use batteries in your dildo?

Stormin Mormon

Dec 21, 2014, 6:42:14 PM12/21/14
On 12/20/2014 1:01 PM, drew.ea...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thought I'd be slick an get a better deal by having all my 18v dewalt batteries rebuilt. So I took them to batteries plus. Since I had severerl they quoted me $46 per battery that's a few $'s cheaper than buying new ones. Terrible luck with them. They provided a 6 month warranty & claimed the batteries they used were far better. They were crap from the beginning. I thought maybe they would get better after being charged a few times. Not the case just worse. At about 5 months they really started getting bad. I took them back to the store & they put them on a tester an claimed they were ok. B.S. at 6 months their all dead!!

I've not got any thing from em, but some on this
list speak well of www.primecell.com as a service
which rebuilds your batteries, and ships your
batteries back with new nicad or NiMH cells.

Some Dewalts have a guarantee, you can bring
them in and swap em out.

Sure your charger is working? If they all go dead
at same time, could be the charger. Have a friend
with same size batts? Ask your non offensive gender
non specific party of the third part to put some of
your batteries in his charger for you.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

bob haller

Dec 21, 2014, 9:31:41 PM12/21/14
ME TOO eXACTLY THE SAME EXPERIENCE:(

Primecell.com has rebuilt a few of my battery packs they worked better than new, and have lasted forever:) well worth the money

Art Todesco

Dec 21, 2014, 10:09:30 PM12/21/14
Two comments on this. I too, have several DeWalt tools. The 18V
batteries started to go, so I saw the $99 special at Lowe's ... 2
batteries, a charger and a drill, to boot. Well, the batteries are not
the real big XRP (I think that's what yellow calls them), however, they
are lighter in weight, and that's a good thing as we age. Also, I think
my old charger is possibly overcharging the batteries. If you leave the
batteries on it for a long time, they will always be warm. The new
charger, with the "free" drill, doesn't do that; once charged, they can
sit on the charger and will be cool. So now I only use the old charger
when I am traveling in the RV and I never leave the batteries on that
charger.

larrymo...@my-deja.com

Dec 21, 2014, 10:11:04 PM12/21/14
On Tuesday, November 13, 2007 4:59:39 PM UTC-7, mattme...@gmail.com wrote:
> I think my DeWalt 18V batteries are on their last legs. The drill
> still works okay, but when ripping 2x4's into 2x2's with the circ-saw,
> I get about done with one before the saw doesn't want to go anymore.
> Maybe it's the saw, but me-thinks it's the batteries since they're
> about 5 years old. Anyway, looking on ebay for new batteries since HD
> wants $80 apiece, I see several people selling "How to repair your old
> battery packs - like new performance" guides. These claim to be able
> to repair old batteries, specifically for tools, for either nothing,
> or at most $2.00. I know a little about electronics and battery
> chemistry, and I'm pretty sure that when NiCD batteries die, its the
> chemistry inside that's the cause. Without putting in new cells, I
> don't think there's much you can do and new cells cost a lot more than
> $2.00 (at least the amount I'd need for an 18V pack). Just curious if
> anyone has tried to repair batteries on your own, and if so what was
> the result and what did it cost?

The only time you can fix a battery without replacing any of its cells
is when some cells have reversed in polarity, in which case you need
to charge each of those cells individually, by applying current to
one of those cells at a time, using a power supply (AC adapter that
puts out DC will work) and a current limiting resistor. After a few
minutes of charging each reversed cell this way, charge the whole
battery the normal way.

A lot of times some individual cells have shorted internally, but
those have to be replaced and cannot be fixed by zapping the shorts
with high current, contrary to what some people claim. The shorts
will grow back in a matter of a few days.

Bob666

Jan 29, 2021, 12:01:12 PM1/29/21
I'm sure everyone was thrilled to see a grown man do something so wreckless and unresponsible. Hopefully no one was hurt during your childish display of manliness. 13 years later, would you do the same thing today, looking back?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/dewalt-18v-battery-repair-hoax-266094-.htm

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 29, 2021, 1:57:23 PM1/29/21
On 1/29/2021 12:01 PM, Bob666 wrote:
> I'm sure everyone was thrilled to see a grown man do something so
> wreckless and unresponsible.  Hopefully no one was hurt during your
> childish display of manliness.    13 years later, would you do the same
> thing today, looking back?

Oh, give us a hint, what was reckless? Doubt the OP will answer 13
years later.

Praktyk 2

Apr 11, 2023, 3:54:22 AM4/11/23
Hello, you want you can try to search that info you can find it on this page https://contacto-rapido.com/