Ball valves vs. gas valves

Existential Angst

Jan 20, 2013, 6:26:43 PM1/20/13

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is
MUCH larger than a gas valve.
The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black
pipe....

Opinions?
--
EA

RBM

Jan 20, 2013, 6:37:50 PM1/20/13
Yes it can, if it carries a label that says (WOG) on it

Oren

Jan 20, 2013, 6:52:24 PM1/20/13
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:26:43 -0500, "Existential Angst"
<fit...@optonline.net> wrote:

>Can a ball valve be used for nat gas?

If it has a yellow knob 1/4 turn handle.

... in my town

The Daring Dufas

Jan 20, 2013, 6:57:08 PM1/20/13
Ball valves are the only type I use for natural gas. NG suppliers treat
corrosive "sour gas" to keep it out of the domestic distribution
network. ^_^

http://www.naturalgas.org/naturalgas/transport.asp

TDD

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jan 20, 2013, 7:19:29 PM1/20/13
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:26:43 -0500, "Existential Angst"
<fit...@optonline.net> wrote:

Depends on the ball valve. If it is WOG rated, it is good for gas.
In SOME areas they need to have yellow handles for gas, in other areas
red is OK.. Here in Ontario any WOG rated valve is OK. Most are
certified for 600psi, which is EXTREME overkill.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jan 20, 2013, 7:20:52 PM1/20/13
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:26:43 -0500, "Existential Angst"
<fit...@optonline.net> wrote:

Real good reason not to believe anything a Home Despot Droid tells
you.

J.B.Slocomb

Jan 20, 2013, 8:16:02 PM1/20/13
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:26:43 -0500, "Existential Angst"
<fit...@optonline.net> wrote:

I am assuming that you are referring to small - 1/4. 3/8. 1/2" valves
but as for the category of "ball valves" larger ones, say 2", 4", 6",
etc. are commonly used in the gas industry. In fact if memory serves
that are the valve of choice over gate valves for handling gas.
--
Cheers,

John B.

a2...@altavista.net

Jan 20, 2013, 8:33:22 PM1/20/13
What kind of ball valve? Water shut-off valves (PVC, brass) also come
in "ball valve".

The Daring Dufas

Jan 20, 2013, 8:49:48 PM1/20/13
If memory serves me right, WOG means it's rated for Water, Oil and Gas
service which is what most of the ball valves I come across are. ^_^

TDD

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 20, 2013, 10:21:01 PM1/20/13
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 19:19:29 -0500, cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote:

>Depends on the ball valve. If it is WOG rated, it is good for gas.
>In SOME areas they need to have yellow handles for gas, in other areas
>red is OK.. Here in Ontario any WOG rated valve is OK. Most are
>certified for 600psi, which is EXTREME overkill.

Not overkill at all. Sure, for natural gas, but it can be used on
high pressure oxygen, nitrogen, argon, and on and on. That same valve
will find its way to industrial applications

Existential Angst

Jan 21, 2013, 3:33:29 AM1/21/13
"Existential Angst" <fit...@optonline.net> wrote in message
Heh, rarely is there this much consensus on an issue.... LOL

I'll spray paint the handle yellow, jic... :)
In this case, I'm piping in my 15 kW genset, and depending on which table
you use, I am sort of squeaking by, supply-wise, so I can use every sq in of
orifice I can get. The diff between the two is quite a bit.
--
EA

> --
> EA

Cydrome Leader

Jan 21, 2013, 4:13:08 AM1/21/13
there's some really sketchy stuff at HD, so the droid may have been onto
something when it comes to the stuff they sell.

My favorites are the plastic stemmed water cutoff valves for sinks and
toilets that last about 3 cycles before they somehow fall apart. The brass
nuts for the compression fittings are so thin and crappy they I've seen
some just crack and spring a leak just a few years after installation.

somebody somewhere must be proud of the cost savings they came up with.

Existential Angst

Jan 21, 2013, 5:01:51 AM1/21/13
"Cydrome Leader" <pres...@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote in message
Oh, they are proud indeed. They have whole board meetings, with actuaries
and all, to figger these consumer assfuckings out.
--
EA

George

Jan 21, 2013, 9:09:04 AM1/21/13
Why? It is good for "gas" which can be something else from residential
natural gas and at much higher pressure.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jan 21, 2013, 12:32:53 PM1/21/13
Obviously - but we were talking natural gas applications. The
normal conical gas valves are only good for what? 45 psi???

home...@home.com

Jan 21, 2013, 3:40:51 PM1/21/13
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:26:43 -0500, "Existential Angst"
<fit...@optonline.net> wrote:

Ball valves are only for using on your balls. Use then to stop
impregnating women by shutting off your balls.... :)

thebbg...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2016, 10:38:08 AM4/23/16
Well....The Gas is not corrosive but the additive "mercaptan" is a reactive substance due to the sulphur. This is probably what he was referring to.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Apr 23, 2016, 4:42:07 PM4/23/16
On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 07:38:01 -0700 (PDT), thebbg...@gmail.com
wrote:
I have several ball valves rated for water, gas, oil and air. All od
my gas shutoff valves in the house are "ball valves"

Bob F

Apr 23, 2016, 10:09:43 PM4/23/16
I used ball valves when I re-piped the gas in my house, and the inspection went
fine.