Can Coleman Stoves use regular gasoline?

fred.fl...@thecave.com

Jun 13, 2012, 6:20:41 AM6/13/12
I no longer own one of these old stoves, but as a child, I recall my dad
said you had to use "White Gas" and could never use "red gas" from the
gas station. But back then, red gas meant leaded gas, and the reason
for not using it was because the lead would clog something in the stove
(not sure what).

Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
to burn. I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
the stuff called "white gas".

Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
(actually clear). Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
standard unleaded gasoline?

Anyone know?

(Personally, I prefer propane camping stoves. Easier to use and safer).

Jim Elbrecht

Jun 13, 2012, 7:32:21 AM6/13/12
On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:20:41 -0500, fred.fl...@thecave.com wrote:
-snip-

>Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
>to burn. I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
>the stuff called "white gas".
>
>Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
>(actually clear). Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
>standard unleaded gasoline?

When unleaded first became available we used it in our Coleman with no
ill effects for a few years. Then I bought the handy gadget that
converted it to propane.

Cheaper- easier- and likely safer. The downsides tot he conversion
were lower temp on the burners-- and a little more bulk to the propane
tanks for a week of camping vs a gallon of unleaded.

>(Personally, I prefer propane camping stoves. Easier to use and safer).

http://www.campmor.com/century-propane-conversion-kit.shtml

I just bought a 6-pack of those stubby propane tanks at Sam's for $17
-- seems like they cost twice that 10 years ago when I bought the last
one.

Jim

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 13, 2012, 7:35:46 AM6/13/12
On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:20:41 -0500, fred.fl...@thecave.com wrote:

Lead was the big problem and that has been eliminated. Gas today may
contain ethanol, MBTE, and a host of other additives. The Coleman
fuel is probably pure gas.

Coleman says:
This appliance is designed to use Coleman�
Liquid Fuel.
� Never use kerosene or automotive fuel.

There is a part called the "generator" than can possibly be damaged

Troubleshooting a poor flame

Replace with a new generator.
This is a normal periodic
maintenance procedure. The
generator life is dependent on the
type of fuel used. Generator life is
extended by using clean
Coleman� Liquid Fuel

Like you, I'd get a propane stove

Bob_Villa

Jun 13, 2012, 7:34:45 AM6/13/12

Caesar Romano

Jun 13, 2012, 8:18:09 AM6/13/12
On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:20:41 -0500, fred.fl...@thecave.com wrote
Re Can Coleman Stoves use regular gasoline?:

>Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
>(actually clear). Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
>standard unleaded gasoline?

That's what I would use.

Stormin Mormon

Jun 13, 2012, 10:45:31 AM6/13/12
Years ago, I read that Coleman made "dual fuel" stoves for a while, the fuel
tank was a different color. Got to be a web site out there some where,
details all this.

I'd advise using Coleman fuel, because it's less likely to damage stove. You
only use a gallon or so a year, so the cost savings isn't all that great.

I also prefer propane. The tanks are heavy to carry, but everything is a
trade off.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

<fred.fl...@thecave.com> wrote in message

Tony Hwang

Jun 13, 2012, 11:14:21 AM6/13/12
It will work but not as good and very sooty.

Message has been deleted

NotMe

Jun 13, 2012, 11:37:26 AM6/13/12

"Jim Elbrecht" <elbr...@email.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:20:41 -0500, fred.fl...@thecave.com wrote:
> -snip-
>>
>>Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
>>to burn. I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
>>the stuff called "white gas".
>>
>>Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
>>(actually clear). Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
>>standard unleaded gasoline?
>
> When unleaded first became available we used it in our Coleman with no
> ill effects for a few years.

Only ill effects are you and everyone near you were exposed additives that
are hazardous to one's health.

notbob

Jun 13, 2012, 12:09:32 PM6/13/12
On 2012-06-13, fred.fl...@thecave.com <fred.fl...@thecave.com> wrote:

> Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
> to burn. I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
> the stuff called "white gas".
>
> Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
> (actually clear). Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
> standard unleaded gasoline?
>
> Anyone know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_gas

....which inlcudes links to coleman fuel and naptha.

Also, google "dual fuel" camp stoves/lanterns. Coleman still makes
'em, as does MSR and Britelyt:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Dual-Fuel-2-Burner-Stove/9870596
http://www.backcountry.com/msr-dragonfly-stove

...and lanterns:

http://www.coleman.com/product/229-725
http://www.britelyt.com/prod1.htm

If you use propane and jes have a stove someone gave you, whataya got
to lose. Try some unlead gas. At worst something will clog up. Last
I knew, Coleman had actual service centers that would rebuild and/or
repair their stoves/lanterns. If they still exist in this online
world, you could have the old one retrofitted with new dual fuel (say
five time, fast!) parts.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs

Atila Iskander

Jun 13, 2012, 12:09:48 PM6/13/12

<fred.fl...@thecave.com> wrote in message
Some Coleman stove can run on BOTH white gas and gasoline
They are clearly marked as such.
The rest is ONLY white gas.
Coleman lanterns are ONLY white gas (to the best of my knowledge)

Although white gas is more expensive than gasoline, it has the advantage
that they come in sealed gallon cans that can be stored nearly indefinitely.
In a pinch you can run low octane NO lead gasoline in both stoves and lamps
But the generators can get gunked up over time

Atila Iskander

Jun 13, 2012, 12:11:13 PM6/13/12

<gfre...@aol.com> wrote in message
> I guess a related question is "how long does Coleman fuel last before
> it goes bad"?

It doesn't
That's the benefit of having a few cans as spares for emergencies.

Bob_Villa

Jun 13, 2012, 12:32:03 PM6/13/12
to drag...@shaw.ca
I would also think there is a health concern with additives being burned near food stuffs. Where Coleman fuel and naptha would burn cleaner.

Mark Lloyd

Jun 13, 2012, 2:01:12 PM6/13/12
[snip]

> I just bought a 6-pack of those stubby propane tanks at Sam's for $17
> -- seems like they cost twice that 10 years ago when I bought the last
> one.
>
> Jim

Somewhere I saw an adapter that lets you refill those little tanks from
a larger one. Maybe you could save money that way?
--

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"The sense of spiritual relief which comes from rejecting the idea of
God as a supernatural being is enormous." [Julian Huxley]

harry

Jun 13, 2012, 2:34:10 PM6/13/12
The reason for not using leaded gas was that you would be inhaling the
lead fumes, especially if used in confined spaces.

denni...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2012, 2:44:51 PM6/13/12
On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:20:41 AM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
> Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
> (actually clear). Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
> standard unleaded gasoline?

True the Coleman fuel is expensive but these stoves will run for a very long time on a gallon.

Of course if you're up for an experiment, the worst that can happen is the stove won't light.

Steve Barker

Jun 13, 2012, 2:56:10 PM6/13/12
where ya gonna get leaded gas?

--
Steve Barker

dpb

Jun 13, 2012, 3:01:47 PM6/13/12
On 6/13/2012 1:44 PM, denni...@gmail.com wrote:

> Of course if you're up for an experiment, the worst that can happen
> isthe stove won't light.

You're sure that's "the worst that can happen"???

Jim Elbrecht

Jun 13, 2012, 3:22:50 PM6/13/12
On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 13:01:12 -0500, Mark Lloyd <non...@none.invalid>
wrote:

>[snip]
>
>> I just bought a 6-pack of those stubby propane tanks at Sam's for $17
>> -- seems like they cost twice that 10 years ago when I bought the last
>> one.
>>
>> Jim
>

>Somewhere I saw an adapter that lets you refill those little tanks from
>a larger one. Maybe you could save money that way?

I got one of those when the tanks were $5 or so each. I wasn't
that impressed. Now, with the tanks under $3, I wouldn't even bother
to google the valve.

Jim

Atila Iskander

Jun 13, 2012, 3:26:35 PM6/13/12

"Steve Barker" <ichase...@notgmail.com> wrote in message
Still available.
Small aircraft fuel is still leaded
There is also a lead replacement that you add to regular unleaded gas.

jamesgangnc

Jun 13, 2012, 3:35:57 PM6/13/12
On Jun 13, 11:37 am, "NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> "Jim Elbrecht" <elbre...@email.com> wrote in message

> > On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:20:41 -0500, fred.flintst...@thecave.com wrote:
> > -snip-
>
> >>Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
> >>to burn.  I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
> >>the stuff called "white gas".
>
> >>Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
> >>(actually clear).  Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
> >>standard unleaded gasoline?
>
> > When unleaded first became available we used it in our Coleman with no
> > ill effects for a few years.
>
> Only ill effects are you and everyone near you were exposed additives that
> are hazardous to one's health.

Like those same chemicals are not pouring out of the exhaust pips of
millions of cars and trucks everyday?

Doug Miller

Jun 13, 2012, 8:59:02 PM6/13/12
jamesgangnc <james...@gmail.com> wrote in news:144c5a68-f389-4ffd-8ae3-
82187f...@cu1g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:
Actually, no, they are not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

Doug Miller

Jun 13, 2012, 9:00:22 PM6/13/12
fred.fl...@thecave.com wrote in news:dsmgt75h3to4qnudb6a9a5doc5i1t4tqp5@
4ax.com:

> I no longer own one of these old stoves, but as a child, I recall my dad
> said you had to use "White Gas" and could never use "red gas" from the
> gas station. But back then, red gas meant leaded gas, and the reason
> for not using it was because the lead would clog something in the stove
> (not sure what).
>
> Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
> to burn. I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
> the stuff called "white gas".

"White gas" is naphtha. It's *not* the same as gasoline at all.

Stormin Mormon

Jun 13, 2012, 8:56:17 PM6/13/12
I've got one of those. The Ozark Trail tanks have always leaked, when I
refilled them. I'm told the Coleman tanks are more servicable. I didn't fill
enough small tanks, to recoup the cost of the adaptor.

There is a specific list of instructions, to follow.

The propane "tree" to use the 20# tanks, are useful in some situations.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Mark Lloyd" <non...@none.invalid> wrote in message

Vic Smith

Jun 13, 2012, 9:11:02 PM6/13/12
I used Coleman fuel in my Coleman stove. Didn't have to think about
it, or learn chemistry. Doesn't cost all that much and comes in a
handy can. I mean, how much fuel do you use?
We didn't finish a can on a 23 day trip, cooking about once a day,
and boiling water for coffee twice a day.

--
Vic

gregz

Jun 13, 2012, 9:14:42 PM6/13/12
Years ago, I used to use Amoco clear gasoline in the colemans. The current
alcohol blends could be a problem when sitting in tank for a long time.

Greg

notbob

Jun 13, 2012, 10:04:24 PM6/13/12
On 2012-06-14, gregz <ze...@comcast.net> wrote:

> alcohol blends could be a problem when sitting in tank for a long time.

I've yet to see a single thing other than anecdotal evidence this is
true. A simple solution, if true, is to empty the damn tank. DUH!

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jun 13, 2012, 10:12:59 PM6/13/12
On 14 Jun 2012 02:04:24 GMT, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

>On 2012-06-14, gregz <ze...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> alcohol blends could be a problem when sitting in tank for a long time.
>
>I've yet to see a single thing other than anecdotal evidence this is
>true. A simple solution, if true, is to empty the damn tank. DUH!
>
>nb
Any brass or copper in the generator etc can be dammaged by hooch in
the fuel. The "greenies" are a real mess - caused by water in the
fuel, disolved in hooch.

notbob

Jun 13, 2012, 10:22:10 PM6/13/12
On 2012-06-14, cl...@snyder.on.ca <cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote:

> Any brass or copper in the generator etc can be dammaged by hooch in
> the fuel. The "greenies" are a real mess - caused by water in the
> fuel, disolved in hooch.

Gee, ppl been putting alcohol based additives in their tanks to rid it
of water for what? ....decades!? Like I said, empty the freakin'
tank! Leaving perfectly good gas (no ethanol) will also leave a
varnish that will hose the system. You ppl kill me. To damn lazy to
empty the motor's gas tank, let it sit all Winter, then blame it on
alcohol. Lazy ass losers!

fred.fl...@thecave.com

Jun 14, 2012, 12:18:37 AM6/14/12
Take a gallon of gas, and dump in a dozen lead bullets. Let it soak
overnight, and you have leaded gas!

The Daring Dufas

Jun 14, 2012, 1:47:01 AM6/14/12
As long as they don't kill innocent little ozones. ^_^

TDD

Moe Gasser

Jun 14, 2012, 6:05:22 AM6/14/12
On 6/13/2012 10:04 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2012-06-14, gregz<ze...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> alcohol blends could be a problem when sitting in tank for a long time.
>
> I've yet to see a single thing other than anecdotal evidence this is
> true. A simple solution, if true, is to empty the damn tank. DUH!
>
> nb

Here you go:

http://www.consumerenergyreport.com/2011/03/09/what-you-arent-being-told-about-ethanol-and-corrosion/

notbob

Jun 14, 2012, 7:37:18 AM6/14/12
On 2012-06-14, Moe Gasser <moe.g...@flatulators-anonymous.pffft> wrote:

> Here you go:

No, there you go.

More hedging and speculation. Nothing truly conclusive. If we're
gonna talk more anecdotal experience, howzabout the fact I've been
using E10 for over fifteen years and have had zero problems. Again,
empty the tanks and drain the systems if yer gonna let stuff sit
forever.

Reply if you choose, but I'm not gonna continue this discussion. I
consider it a nonexistent problem and refuse to argue a non-issue.

Jim Elbrecht

Jun 14, 2012, 7:39:05 AM6/14/12
On 14 Jun 2012 02:22:10 GMT, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

>On 2012-06-14, cl...@snyder.on.ca <cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote:
>
>> Any brass or copper in the generator etc can be dammaged by hooch in
>> the fuel. The "greenies" are a real mess - caused by water in the
>> fuel, disolved in hooch.
>
>Gee, ppl been putting alcohol based additives in their tanks to rid it
>of water for what? ....decades!?

Mostly a pint or less in 20 gallons. The winter mix in the
northeast has 2 *gallons* in 20, if I remember right.
[anyone that knows the right percentage- please correct me if I'm
wrong]

>Like I said, empty the freakin'
>tank! Leaving perfectly good gas (no ethanol) will also leave a
>varnish that will hose the system.

You're right, there-- the fix is pretty easy.

Jim

fred.fl...@thecave.com

Jun 14, 2012, 1:22:56 PM6/14/12
wrote:

>[snip]
>
>> I just bought a 6-pack of those stubby propane tanks at Sam's for $17
>> -- seems like they cost twice that 10 years ago when I bought the last
>> one.
>>
>> Jim
>

>Somewhere I saw an adapter that lets you refill those little tanks from
>a larger one. Maybe you could save money that way?

I got one of those refill adaptors probably 20 years ago. I dont recall
where I got it. They were and probably still are illegal. The problem
I encountered was that I could not find a tool to buy to open the relief
valve. This is similar to a tire valve stem but too deep in the
cylinder to use a regular tire tool. I made my own tool.

I refilled lots of bottles, but the majority of them leaked afterwards,
so I'd store them outdoors under a piece of plywood. I suspect the
reason for the leaking was because I would overfill them. I know all
propane tanks are only supposed to be filled to 80%. I had no way to
regulate the amount of fill on these tanks.

I found a camping supply store that sold some cylinders MADE TO BE
REFILLED. They were supposedly legal, and were easier to refill. But
they too tended to leak.

I have not refilled them in years. Dont even know where that adaptor is
anymore. These days I use a 20lb tank with an adaptor to fit my Coleman
stove, and everything else that uses propane. About the only time I use
the small cylinders is for my torches. At $3 a tank, it's not worth the
hassle to refill them, and then have leakers to deal with afterwards.

denni...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2012, 3:47:55 PM6/14/12
Yes, I am. This isn't a 1970's police drama or a Warner Bros. cartoon.

I suppose you're thinking "explosion."

To get an explosion you would have to have spilled a quantity of fuel, and stupidly lit the stove anyway, OR you would have had to have broken/defeated a number of safety devices/procedures. Either way you deserve to lose your eyebrows.

Try some basic physics: If the gasoline atomizes too well it will go "poof" and the stove will not remain lit. If the gasoline doesn't atomize well enough it won't light at all. You're supposed to shut off the valve in a failure to light situation, not let the fuel continue to spray/dribble.
Message has been deleted

Betelgeuse

Jun 14, 2012, 9:18:54 PM6/14/12
On 6/14/2012 7:37 AM, notbob wrote:

> More hedging and speculation. Nothing truly conclusive. If we're
> gonna talk more anecdotal experience, howzabout the fact I've been
> using E10 for over fifteen years and have had zero problems. Again,
> empty the tanks and drain the systems if yer gonna let stuff sit
> forever.

Ethanol fuel is great...for corn farmers, John Deere and the makers of
Sta-Bil.

John Gilmer

Jun 15, 2012, 5:44:20 AM6/15/12
On 6/13/2012 6:20 AM, fred.fl...@thecave.com wrote:
> I no longer own one of these old stoves, but as a child, I recall my dad
> said you had to use "White Gas" and could never use "red gas" from the
> gas station. But back then, red gas meant leaded gas, and the reason
> for not using it was because the lead would clog something in the stove
> (not sure what).
>
> Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
> to burn. I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
> the stuff called "white gas".

Coleman bills there gasoline powered stuff as "dual fuel" by which they
mean either Coleman fuel OR "white gas."

Unfortunately, in many places it's just about impossible to get gasoline
that doesn't have alcohol added.

I just don't know (and I not about to find out the hard way) whether the
alcohol will screw up a stove or and mantle lantern. I know it messed
up a lawnmower, and a chain saw (one 4 cycle, the other 2 cycle.)

ron...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2014, 6:16:42 PM1/7/14
On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:20:41 AM UTC-5, fred.fl...@thecave.com wrote:
> I no longer own one of these old stoves, but as a child, I recall my dad
>
> said you had to use "White Gas" and could never use "red gas" from the
>
> gas station. But back then, red gas meant leaded gas, and the reason
>
> for not using it was because the lead would clog something in the stove
>
> (not sure what).
>
> Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
>
> to burn. I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
>
> the stuff called "white gas".
>
> Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
>
> (actually clear). Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
>
> standard unleaded gasoline?
>
> Anyone know?
>
> (Personally, I prefer propane camping stoves. Easier to use and safer).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm 64 years old and never knew that "Coleman fuel" existed before 40 years ago. My father and family always used white gas in our lanterns and stoves. (The gas was bought at "American" service stations, then they changed names to "Amoco". They were the only stations that sold "white gas".) A few times, when we couldn't find white gas, we used ethyl leaded (red, high test) gasoline. It worked, but we had to take the generators apart and clean them because of it. (It has nothing to do with "fumes"... all gasoline gives off carbon monoxide.)
The problem with unleaded gasoline today is that most of it contains 10% alcohol and many 'other bi-products'. If you're in a tight, then use it. You'll just have to take the generator apart and clean it after you're through using it, but that's no big deal. The "duel fuel" stoves and lanterns are just made with less exacting measure of tolerances (more forgiving).

Frank

Jan 7, 2014, 6:37:59 PM1/7/14
I think it is safe to use modern gasoline but Coleman fuel is probably
better. I've never seen or heard of it going bad like gas can and if
you get gel it might clog nozzles.

mike

Jan 7, 2014, 7:02:48 PM1/7/14
I think this is an unnecessary risk.
You can't tell what additives are in the random gasoline you buy.
Getting dead or lung problems is way more expensive than
coleman fuel.
Clogging the thing is the least of your worries.

Less risk if used outside...assuming everyone who ever lights it
does.

Did I mention unnecessary health risk?

micky

Jan 7, 2014, 8:05:08 PM1/7/14
On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 15:16:42 -0800 (PST), ron...@gmail.com wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:20:41 AM UTC-5, fred.fl...@thecave.com wrote:
>> I no longer own one of these old stoves, but as a child, I recall my dad
>>
>> said you had to use "White Gas" and could never use "red gas" from the
>>
>> gas station. But back then, red gas meant leaded gas, and the reason
>>
>> for not using it was because the lead would clog something in the stove
>>
>> (not sure what).
>>
>> Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
>>
>> to burn. I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
>>
>> the stuff called "white gas".
>>
>> Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
>>
>> (actually clear). Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
>>
>> standard unleaded gasoline?
>>
>> Anyone know?
>>
>> (Personally, I prefer propane camping stoves. Easier to use and safer).

Certainly easier to use, much much, but not as hot. If you're on K2 and
you need your coffee may have to wait a long time. Well I've never
compared but people could do this at home, outside I guess.

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>I'm 64 years old and never knew that "Coleman fuel" existed before 40 years ago.

I'm 66 and I didn't know either until 44 years ago. But of course I had
used no camp stove or lantern until then.

>My father and family always used white gas in our lanterns and stoves. (The gas was bought at "American" service stations, then they

Headquartered in Baltimore, FWIW.

> changed names to "Amoco". They were the only stations that sold "white gas".) A few times, when we couldn't find white gas, we used ethyl leaded (red, high test) gasoline. It worked, but we had to take the generators apart and clean them because of it. (It has nothing to do with "fumes"... all gasoline gives off carbon monoxide.)
>The problem with unleaded gasoline today is that most of it contains 10% alcohol

I think the alcohol burns less hot, but other than that, I don't see a
problem.

>and many 'other bi-products'.

I don't konw if these are an issue or not.

>? If you're in a tight, then use it. You'll just have to take the generator apart and clean it after you're through using it, but that's no big deal. The "duel fuel" stoves and lanterns are just made with less exacting measure of tolerances (more forgiving).

Googlng on gasoline vs. coleman fuel

Look what Coleman itself has to say. "Our DualFuel� appliances are made
to accommodate automobile fuel. Coleman's modified valving even allows
for differences between summer and winter blends. At 1/10 of the cost of
propane, unleaded gas is the cheapest of all appliance fuels. And it's
available everywhere, of course. In an emergency, you can siphon gas
from the tank of your RV or car to use in a DualFuel lantern or stove.
Although it's the most economical fuel to use, you'll extend the life of
your appliance by using purer Coleman� Fuel most of the time.
Main advantages: availability and low cost. "

You would think if there were safety hazards from auto gasoline, they'd
be the first to trumpet them, unless of course, market testing showed
that it was a losing battle and owners of Coleman and similar items
would continue to use gasoline. So to maximize income they should just
make dual fuel models**. But I sort of doubt that. If they mentioned
car gasoline on their webpage at all and they are aware that it's
dangerous and they don't say so at the same place, they open themselves
up to product liability cases which I think they have no chance of
winning. Maybe I'll ask abou tthis on the legal newsgroup.

**Another reason to doubt this is that aiui, Coleman fule was cleaner
than gasoline, and like you say, a dual fuel stove would need greater
tolerances, so they would have to make a different model. This was true
before fuel injection, but was it true after? For a while the car
companies and gas companies blamed each other when dirt in gasoline gave
problems in fuel injected cars. But the only real solution was cleaner
gasoline, fewer things that can clog a port, and that's what we have
now. So is dual-fuel still needed? I'd check when the dual-fuel
models came out, and when the car makers won the dirty gasoline war, and
see which came first. If Dual=Fuel came out first, maybe they just
continue to make that because it was selling well and more money than
the single fuel models. And the continued sale of single fuel models
enouraged the sale of Coleman fuel.

But wait, there's more:
https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=589694
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleman_fuel
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111789
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=60568
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78263
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090517202145AAwB3lS
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=61462.0

I havent' read these yet, but they sound relevant. And some are from
camping or RV pages, (I hate web forums, but any port in a storm.)

There were other hits too.

Daring Dufas: Hypocrite TeaBillie on welfare

Jan 7, 2014, 8:20:04 PM1/7/14
Give it a try.

In your living room.

micky

Jan 7, 2014, 8:30:57 PM1/7/14
On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 20:05:08 -0500, micky <NONONO...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>Look what Coleman itself has to say. "Our DualFuel� appliances are made
>to accommodate automobile fuel.

Right there is their statement that it's safe, even if they don't use
that word. That's what would make them liable if they are wrong.

>Coleman's modified valving even allows
>for differences between summer and winter blends. At 1/10 of the cost of
>propane, unleaded gas is the cheapest of all appliance fuels.

They're even pushing it here.

>And it's
>available everywhere, of course. In an emergency, you can siphon gas
>from the tank of your RV or car to use in a DualFuel lantern or stove.

And here and here.

>Although it's the most economical fuel to use, you'll extend the life of
>your appliance by using purer Coleman� Fuel most of the time.
>Main advantages: availability and low cost. "

BTW, I don't think for a moment that the dualfuel somehow neutralizes
bad effects of fuel additives. It must be that the fuel additives also
get burned up and that what if any doesn't is not harmful. Maybe it
disperses and you'd have to keep your nose next to the flame all the
time to get an appreciable amount.

douglas...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2015, 2:54:00 AM3/1/15
Gasoline is the most hazardous and toxic substance that the average person comes in contact with on a regular basis. If you have prolonged contact with it on your skin, you will get a nasty rash. Benzene is present in gasoline and is a known carcinogen. Who knows what other chemicals are in gas? (just what is "Techron" anyway?) What deposits could it leave on a lantern mantle?

I buy Coleman fuel when it goes on sale. It is free from additives and has an indefinite shelf life. I think it burns cleaner and has a bit less odor. Less "gunking" up your stove/lantern. A gallon will last me a long time. Don't risk your health to save a few bucks!

If the spit hits the fan, I could always use gasoline. But only in an emergency.

As for refilling small propane cylinders, I have a refill adapter that fits on a bulk tank. I turn the 20lb cylinder upside down, screw everything together and fill the small cylinder without bleeding it. I put the 16oz cylinders in my freezer prior to filling. I would estimate that I can fill each cylinder about 2/3rds full doing this. Some will start leaking, especially when they get old. If I get a leaker, I will immediately attach it to a device such as a torch head, lantern, stove, etc., mark it as bad, and use it normally. I then discard it when empty.

While propane is convenient, Coleman fuel is more economical (one gallon = about 5 cylinders of propane) and will work far better when it is cold outside. It is also "greener" as there is less waste than throwaway propane cylinders. (most people don't refill them)

Just my 2 cents.

Stormin Mormon

Mar 1, 2015, 7:03:26 AM3/1/15
On 3/1/2015 2:53 AM, douglas...@gmail.com wrote:
> Gasoline is the most hazardous and toxic substance that
the average person comes in contact with on a regular basis.
If you have prolonged contact with it on your skin, you
will get a nasty rash. Benzene is present in gasoline and
is a known carcinogen. Who knows what other chemicals are
in gas? (just what is "Techron" anyway?) What deposits could
it leave on a lantern mantle?

> I buy Coleman fuel when it goes on sale. It is free from
additives and has an indefinite shelf life. I think it
burns cleaner and has a bit less odor. Less "gunking" up
your stove/lantern. A gallon will last me a long time. Don't
risk your health to save a few bucks!

> If the spit hits the fan, I could always use gasoline.
But only in an emergency.

I don't remember the details, but some Coleman
stoves can use unleaded gasoline. some thing
about fouling some thing in the fuel line. The
dual fuel stoves have a different color fuel
tank. There is some thing called Amoco brand
white gasoline that might be okay.

If TSHTF, isn't that by definition an emergency?

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Tony Hwang

Mar 1, 2015, 10:23:15 AM3/1/15
Gasoline will work but less heat and lot of soot. Eventually it'll
plug up things turning every thing black.
Tony

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Mar 1, 2015, 4:31:14 PM3/1/15
On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 23:53:55 -0800 (PST), douglas...@gmail.com
wrote:
Some coleman devices are rated for use with lead free gasoline, some
are not. It will work even in the non-rated units in a pinch.
Techron is Chevron's registered trademark for a polyetheramine (pea)
"detergent" which is actually quite effective at keeping fuel systems
clean, and at higher concentrations even cleaning fuel systems and
combustion cleaners.

Refilling 1lb propane tanks is OK if you are carefull, but it is
ILLGAT to transport a refilled single use fuel canister. Will you get
caught? Not likely. If it blows up can they prove you refilled it?
Unlikely. But keep it in mind - the law is there, and CAN be eforced.

Leaky 1lb canisters are not at all uncommon - and are not restricted
to refills.

Using propane in cold weather requires pre-heating the tank. Coleman
fuel or gasoline can heat their own "generators" even at -40.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Mar 1, 2015, 4:35:14 PM3/1/15
Amoco "white gas" is generically known as "naptha" and is the same as
coleman fuel. Used to use it in the old Maytag and IronHorse washing
machine engines, as well as the "gasoline" (mantle) lanterns on the
farm, as well as in the old "gasoline" blowtorches used by tinsmiths
to heat theit soldering "copper". It used to be available at every
local hardware store.

Ralph Mowery

Mar 1, 2015, 6:15:50 PM3/1/15

<cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote in message
>> Amoco "white gas" is generically known as "naptha" and is the same as
> coleman fuel. Used to use it in the old Maytag and IronHorse washing
> machine engines, as well as the "gasoline" (mantle) lanterns on the
> farm, as well as in the old "gasoline" blowtorches used by tinsmiths
> to heat theit soldering "copper". It used to be available at every
> local hardware store.

I think you are wrong on that. The Amoco white gas that was sold in service
stations for cars was not "naptha" but gasoline that cars used. It just
differant addativies instead of 'lead' to raise the octane.
Coleman fuel may actually be naptha, but it will not work very well in a car
engine.

Vic Smith

Mar 1, 2015, 6:30:57 PM3/1/15
I used unleaded gas in my Coleman stove. Never had a problem.

Unquestionably Confused

Mar 1, 2015, 6:32:17 PM3/1/15
Try this for a starting point...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleman_fuel

I am NOT citing wikipedia as a source, merely giving you a place to
start your research. While wiki is generally close to the mark, the
fact that I could go on their site and declare that Coleman fuel is
actually distilled banana oil with a bit of cocoa removes it from the
reliable source column<g>

That said, I recall back in the day... ca the 1950's, white gas was
commonly available at filling stations (of course, then they weren't
self-serve either and the attendants wore uniforms of sorts, and
actually washed your windshield while they collected something like
$0.239 for a gallon of premium fuel. LOL!) and my father would put that
white gas in the Coleman camp stove and lantern.

Ralph Mowery

Mar 1, 2015, 6:39:46 PM3/1/15

"Vic Smith" <thismaila...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I think you are wrong on that. The Amoco white gas that was sold in
>>service
>>stations for cars was not "naptha" but gasoline that cars used. It just
>>differant addativies instead of 'lead' to raise the octane.
>>Coleman fuel may actually be naptha, but it will not work very well in a
>>car
>>engine.
>>

> I used unleaded gas in my Coleman stove. Never had a problem.

Yes, but did you ever use Coleman fuel in a car ?

In the late 1960's I had a Doge Swinger 340 that was tuned by some Dodge
mechanics and it did not like to run on very many differant kinds of fuel.
Mainly the Sonoco 260 and American white gas. Most anything else and it
would spark knock.

There is a big difference in just burning fuel in an open flame and getting
it to work in an engine.
Many liquids will burn in an open flame. The heat may vary a lot, but
usually not a big problem for a camp stove.

notbob

Mar 1, 2015, 10:11:00 PM3/1/15
On 2015-03-01, Vic Smith <thismaila...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I used unleaded gas in my Coleman stove. Never had a problem.

I agree.

I had Coleman stoves and lanterns in the 50s-60s. The Amoco guy sed
their white gas was jes unleaded, so that's what I always used.
Worked fine for decades. Now, Coleman come's out with a "dual-fuel"
line of stoves/lanterns. Runs on both Coleman fuel AND unleaded
gasoline. What the heck did I have before? ;)

nb

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Mar 1, 2015, 10:45:53 PM3/1/15
"White Gas" was basically the same as coleman fuel. Unleaded motor
fuel is a bit different - a veritable witch's brew. But it does work

gregz

Mar 2, 2015, 2:17:28 AM3/2/15
I used to use amoco in Coleman the 60s. My dad liked amoco in our cars.
Wonder if that wore down valves.

Greg

Jerr...@spamblocked.com

Mar 2, 2015, 7:14:11 AM3/2/15
On Sun, 1 Mar 2015 18:21:55 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
<rmower...@earthlink.net> wrote:

Back in the 50's they used to add mothballs to gasoline for stock car
racing. I asked some guy about that, and he knew a lot about cars. He
said they release Naptha, which boosts the octane. But he also said
they have impurities that can cause filter clogging, and said it's
better to add straight Naptha.

In the 80's I was working for a place that had a half filled 55 gallon
barrel of naptha, and he owner asked me if I knew here to dispose of it.
I took it home, knowing it would be good for cleaning car parts. But
then I remembered what that guy told me, and I read up on it, and sure
enough, it's an octane booster for gasoline. I added a pint to a full
tank of gas in my 70's Chevy, and had no problems, but did not notice
any performance gain either. I then added a quart, and it seemed my old
worn out engine had more life. I then added a half gallon to 10 gallons
of gas, (5%) and that engine came right to life, and had a lot more
power. I then increased it to 1 gallon to 10 gallons of gas, (10%) but
that seemed to make it run rough. So, I went back to the 5% mix, and
continued to do this until I used up all that Naptha. The engine was
not harmed. It has a carburetor and mechanical fuel pump. The increase
in power was impressive. I dont know if it would work in modern fuel
injected cars????

I didn't know that Coleman fuel is naptha. I've never used it. I
always buy propane camping stuff, or mostly just use plain old firewood
for cooking, and flashlights for light.

notbob

Mar 2, 2015, 9:52:07 AM3/2/15
On 2015-03-02, gregz <ze...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I used to use amoco in Coleman the 60s. My dad liked amoco in our cars.
> Wonder if that wore down valves.

Amoco was more of an Eastern company. I never saw an Amoco station in
CA until the late 50s. When we finally did patronize one, we began
using unleaded in our Coleman units, exclusively. Gas stations usta
advertise if they carried "white gas". In fact, I don't even remember
seeing Coleman stove fuel until the 70s, after I did my military
stint. Never saw it as a kid in the 50s.

BTW, "white gas" is not the same as "white spirits" (turpentine,
naptha, Stoddard's solvent, etc).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spirit

nb

bob_villa

Mar 2, 2015, 11:01:24 AM3/2/15
Are you so bored that you bring this thread back after a year...and have all the morons here rehash everything?

Jerr...@spamblocked.com

Mar 2, 2015, 1:29:19 PM3/2/15
On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 16:31:04 -0500, cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote:

>Using propane in cold weather requires pre-heating the tank. Coleman
>fuel or gasoline can heat their own "generators" even at -40.

I dont have to preheat the 500 gallon outdoor bulk tank of propane that
heats my house......

Roy

Mar 2, 2015, 2:03:48 PM3/2/15
At -40 degrees you may have to do so. I had to do it once.

rbowman

Mar 3, 2015, 9:45:05 AM3/3/15
Ralph Mowery wrote:

> I think you are wrong on that. The Amoco white gas that was sold in
> service stations for cars was not "naptha" but gasoline that cars used.
> It just differant addativies instead of 'lead' to raise the octane.

In my (fading) memory, white gas was different. It was dispensed from a 55
gallon drum like kerosene, not a pump on the island. Not all gas stations
had it. I remember Amoco advertising the supposed purity of their gasoline
compared to other brands and some people swore by it, but that wasn't what
we called white gas for camp stoves or lanterns.

Ralph Mowery

Mar 3, 2015, 9:58:59 AM3/3/15

"rbowman" <bow...@montana.com> wrote in message
The Amco 'white gas' I put in my car was from the pump. At that time as I
recall it, they had 2 pumps one for the 'regular' or low octaine and another
pump for the 'white gas' or high test as the higher octain gas was called.

I don't know if they had anything in the 55 gallon drums or not, of if they
did if it was anything else just for the stoves and lanterns.

bob_villa

Mar 3, 2015, 10:16:19 AM3/3/15
My dad bought white gas (unleaded gas) for the 5 HP Johnson outboard we had...and added (I think) 20 weight oil to it. This was around 60 yrs ago...

Jerr...@spamblocked.com

Mar 3, 2015, 11:26:24 AM3/3/15
On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 10:06:19 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
<rmower...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>The Amco 'white gas' I put in my car was from the pump. At that time as I
>recall it, they had 2 pumps one for the 'regular' or low octaine and another
>pump for the 'white gas' or high test as the higher octain gas was called.
>
>I don't know if they had anything in the 55 gallon drums or not, of if they
>did if it was anything else just for the stoves and lanterns.

Back then, leaded gas had a red tint to it. I'm not sure if the lead
made the red color, or if they added a dye, but it was always red/pink
in color.

These days, all gas is "white" (clear).

Scott Lurndal

Mar 3, 2015, 11:45:55 AM3/3/15
Actually, the red tint was added to untaxed light distillates
used on farms. One was subject to penalty if tinted gasoline
was used on vehicles driven exclusively on public roadways.

>These days, all gas is "white" (clear).

Not necessarily, see above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dyes

Ralph Mowery

Mar 3, 2015, 12:32:13 PM3/3/15

"bob_villa" <pheeh...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> My dad bought white gas (unleaded gas) for the 5 HP Johnson outboard we
> had...and added (I think) 20 weight oil to it. This was around 60 yrs
> ago...

Many years ago lots of small engines (say under 10 HP) were 2 cycle and you
had to mix the oil and gas. My dad had a 7 1/2 HP boat motor that needed
oil mixed with it. Even the much larger boat motors still mix oil in some of
them, or have an oil injuctor that does it for you . I also remember a lawn
mower he had that required mixing and he got the mix wrong one time and I
had to mow. That thing put out so much smoke it was difficult to mow with.

I doubt it was 20 weight oil but some special oil designed for 2 cycle
engines.

The smaller engines such as chain saws and weed eaters most often are 2
cycle and mix in oil.

bob_villa

Mar 3, 2015, 2:51:31 PM3/3/15
On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 11:32:13 AM UTC-6, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> "bob_villa" <pheeh...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > My dad bought white gas (unleaded gas) for the 5 HP Johnson outboard we
> > had...and added (I think) 20 weight oil to it. This was around 60 yrs
> > ago...

> I doubt it was 20 weight oil but some special oil designed for 2 cycle
> engines.

I did some searching on marine message boards and this was the consensus for circa 1950: white gas and automotive non-detergent SAE 30 Weight in a 24:1 ratio.

Ralph Mowery

Mar 3, 2015, 6:14:03 PM3/3/15

"bob_villa" <pheeh...@gmail.com> wrote in message
For the very old engines that could be correct. Now the oil has changed and
is not recommended. There are even different oils for water or air cooled
engines.
http://www.oddjobmotors.com/tt5_2-stroke-oil.htm

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Mar 3, 2015, 8:06:26 PM3/3/15
On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 07:48:36 -0700, rbowman <bow...@montana.com>
wrote:
Amoco "white gas" was "straight run" gasoline - with no octane
boosters. More expensive to produce that way..

The old hardware store "White Gas" was basically the same as Coleman
Fuel - it is a liquid petroleum fuel (100% light hydrotreated
distillate) Originally, it was simply casing-head gas or drip gas
which has similar properties. Drip gas was sold commercially at gas
stations and hardware stores in North America until the early 1950s.
The white gas sold today is a similar product but is produced at
refineries with the benzene removed. It is roughly 55 octane. OK for
flathead engines.

Amoco white gas was 93 octane. Today's motor fuel is a far cry from
the older gasolines - todays are a veritable witch's brew

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Mar 3, 2015, 8:12:05 PM3/3/15
Back in the "early days" standard sae30 motor oil was mixed with gas
12 or 18:1 for 2 stroke engines - like the old Jacobsen and Lawn boy
(iron horse) engines.
That was late '50s, early '60s. Down to 20-25:1 in the seventies, when
dedicated 2 stroke oil was developed and specified. Now 50 and even
100:1 are not terribly uncommon., with ashless smokeless synthetics.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Mar 3, 2015, 8:13:06 PM3/3/15
Sunoco premium used to be "blue"

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Mar 3, 2015, 8:21:52 PM3/3/15
On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 16:45:47 GMT, sc...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:
Non Taxed diesel is died red.
Gasoline was coloured to indicate the octane rating. Particularly Av
Gas - but regular MoGas as well.

Sunoco premium was blue.

In AvGas, the old 80/87 was red, 82 UL was purple, 100LL is blue,
100/130 was green.
Today anything other than 100LL is pretty rare.

rbowman

Mar 3, 2015, 10:40:46 PM3/3/15
cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote:

> That was late '50s, early '60s. Down to 20-25:1 in the seventies, when
> dedicated 2 stroke oil was developed and specified. Now 50 and even
> 100:1 are not terribly uncommon., with ashless smokeless synthetics.

We had a 12' aluminum boat with a well worn 7 1/2 hp Evinrude when I was a
kid. Trolling with it on a still night generated enough smoke to keep the
mosquitoes at bay and there was the pretty rainbow slick floowing you.

Today the EPA would skip the shot across the bow and just fire for effect if
they saw a rig like that. I imagine pissing off the side is frowned upon
too. I don't know hwat kids do for fun anymore except diddling with XBoxes.

rbowman

Mar 3, 2015, 10:49:05 PM3/3/15
cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote:

> Non Taxed diesel is died red.

Sort of tangential, but I read an article in the Irish Times last week about
diesel laundering. If you mix in silicon dioxide and aerate the mixture, the
dye is bleached out in a couple of hours. The laundries run in Northern
Ireland with the product being sold in the Republic. Ireland figures they're
losing about 900 million Euros a year on the tax. The other problem is the
the laundries dump the leftover slurry which is toxic.

Ireland has some of the highest diesel prices in the world, leaving the door
open for entrepreneurs.

rbowman

Mar 3, 2015, 10:53:40 PM3/3/15
cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote:

> Sunoco premium used to be "blue"

I don't remember that. I lived next to a Sunoco station and washed a lot of
parts in gasoline and it was almost clear. That was during the days when
they had the twim flowmeters so if you selected 220, 230, or the top shelf
260 the 'octane' flowmeter would spin faster for the higher grades. With
200, you didn't get any 'octane'. Eventually they came out with 190 for the
cheapest. Maybe you got negative octane with that.

We're were easily ammused in the '60s/

Stormin Mormon

Mar 4, 2015, 7:33:00 PM3/4/15
On 3/3/2015 10:44 PM, rbowman wrote:
> We had a 12' aluminum boat with a well worn 7 1/2 hp Evinrude when I was a
> kid. Trolling with it on a still night generated enough smoke to keep the
> mosquitoes at bay and there was the pretty rainbow slick floowing you.
>
> Today the EPA would skip the shot across the bow and just fire for effect if
> they saw a rig like that. I imagine pissing off the side is frowned upon
> too. I don't know hwat kids do for fun anymore except diddling with XBoxes.

As recently as a few generations ago, kids played with
gasoline, firearms, and gosh knows what. Now days, they
text their friends. "Lol; KWIM? BFF, BRB, LOL." And
that passes for conversation.

During one phase of my adolsence I amused myself with
a full sheet magnifying lens, exploding black ants on
the pool deck.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

billi...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2017, 9:39:22 AM8/11/17
On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 at 6:20:41 AM UTC-4, fred.fl...@thecave.com wrote:
> I no longer own one of these old stoves, but as a child, I recall my dad
> said you had to use "White Gas" and could never use "red gas" from the
> gas station. But back then, red gas meant leaded gas, and the reason
> for not using it was because the lead would clog something in the stove
> (not sure what).
>
> Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
> to burn. I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
> the stuff called "white gas".
>
> Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
> (actually clear). Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
> standard unleaded gasoline?
>
> Anyone know?
>
> (Personally, I prefer propane camping stoves. Easier to use and safer).

Best to go with ethanol free available at some stations as ethanol destroys seals.