Backlash for HBO's slavery series 'Confederate' intensifies on Twitter

Ubiquitous

Jul 20, 2017, 7:41:44 PM7/20/17
Twitter is none too pleased about HBO's next show from Game of Thrones
creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

Confederate will imagine slavery as a modern day institution in
America, exploring an "alternative timeline" if South successfully
seceded from the U.S. following the Civil War.

The story, said HBO, will follow "a broad swath of characters on both
sides of the Mason-Dixon Demilitarized Zone — freedom fighters, slave
hunters, politicians, abolitionists, journalists, the executives of a
slave-holding conglomerate and the families of people in their thrall.”

The premise is adjacent to Amazon's Man in a High Castle, which
reimagines the world if Hitler had won World War II.

But it's one Daily Beast writer Ira Madison III called dangerous in a
heated era of increased hate crimes. "This is white nonsense...we
finally had an Oscars ceremony where a black film won Best Picture
(Moonlight) without having slaves or servants in it," he wrote. "But I
guess HBO’s eyes are still fixated on 12 Years a Slave."

"It is exhausting to think of how many people at HBO said yes to
letting two white men envision modern day slavery. And offensive,"
tweeted Roxane Gay.

They are far from alone. Twitter at large castigated HBO's decision,
resoundingly asking: Why, in such a divided political era (in which the
Confederate flag debate still rages on), do we need this show? And why
would HBO put such a concept in the hands of two white male show
creators who have previously been criticized for a lack of
representation of people of color on GOT, and shocking portrayals of
rape and violence against women?

Read on for a sample of the backlash.

Yassir Lester
Pretty dope that HBO would make Insecure then almost
immediately make Confederate! Love that vision HBO!

C.W. ?@C3POCW
I'm canceling HBO. A show called "Confederate" about what if
slavery never ended. How about show of The Black Wallstreet?
#confederatehbo

Michelle Swope ?@RedheadfromMars
I love HBO and they make good series, but Confederate sounds
like a god awful idea. Do they even know what's going on in
this country?

American Pessimist ?@Phllp_Wnslw
HBO didn't wanna pick up Underground, but Confederate sounded
like the next best thing. Ok

pilot ?@pilotbacon
give me the confidence of white showrunners telling hbo they
wanna write slavery fanfic

Zora Neale Hustlin' ?@MarsinCharge
The fandom for the new #HBO show #Confederate is gonna be
Tragic. Can you imagine how much harmful imagery they're gonna
produce?

BTR1701

Jul 20, 2017, 9:15:49 PM7/20/17
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> They are far from alone. Twitter at large castigated HBO's decision,
> resoundingly asking: Why, in such a divided political era (in which the
> Confederate flag debate still rages on), do we need this show? And why
> would HBO put such a concept in the hands of two white male show
> creators who have previously been criticized for a lack of
> representation of people of color on GOT, and shocking portrayals of
> rape and violence against women?

But all the portrayals of rape, violence, and castration against men on the
same show elicits nothing more than "Meh" from these pearl-clutchers.

There's an entire slave army of castrated men, for gawd' sake, but one
blushing bride has a rough wedding night and it's "Too the streets!" with
outrage.

Rhino

Jul 20, 2017, 11:48:08 PM7/20/17
The Twitterverse has done a masterful job of judging a book by its cover
in this case, there's no doubt about that.

Too bad they wouldn't even give this a chance. For all we know it's one
of the most persuasive indictments of slavery and racism the world has
ever seen and does more than any show ever has to make it obvious how
vile both are.

Don't these people understand that "What if" is one of the most
interesting questions a person can ask? There are probably billions of
ways history could have gone differently that would have made a major
change in how the world looked today. What is wrong with asking the
question "What if the South were still a separate country and had
retained slavery?". It sounds like a perfect valid question to me and
one that I would be interested in seeing portrayed on TV, just as I
would be interested in seeing hundreds of other "what ifs" answered via
TV or film.

This article says nothing about how far along this series is in the
development cycle. Are there any scripts? Have they cast it? Have they
started filming? Or is this just a premise that is being considered?

--
Rhino

anim8rfsk

Jul 21, 2017, 12:10:37 AM7/21/17
In article <okrta8$gh$1...@dont-email.me>,
There's an interview with the 4 creatives on Vulture today. They
haven't written anything. They haven't even worked out the history or
named the characters. But they seem to think it's happening.

Oh and black actors are planning a boycott.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

FPP

Jul 21, 2017, 12:13:52 AM7/21/17
It's been over 150 years, and it's still a sore point in almost half the
country.
It should be left alone.

There is simply no taste for it, on either side, I would think. I think
it's the most fascinating period in American history, and even I don't
have an urge to even sample it.
--
"Fox News is dropping its 'fair and balanced' slogan... I assume because
they finally watched themselves." -Stephen Colbert

Ubiquitous

Jul 21, 2017, 4:53:28 AM7/21/17
Not until recently, actually.
#ThanksObama

trotsky

Jul 21, 2017, 5:40:02 AM7/21/17
On 7/20/2017 8:15 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>>
>> They are far from alone. Twitter at large castigated HBO's decision,
>> resoundingly asking: Why, in such a divided political era (in which the
>> Confederate flag debate still rages on), do we need this show? And why
>> would HBO put such a concept in the hands of two white male show
>> creators who have previously been criticized for a lack of
>> representation of people of color on GOT, and shocking portrayals of
>> rape and violence against women?
>
> But all the portrayals of rape, violence, and castration against men on the
> same show elicits nothing more than "Meh" from these pearl-clutchers.
>
> There's an entire slave army of castrated men,

These were men that were "castrated against"?

Rhino

Jul 21, 2017, 3:55:12 PM7/21/17
On 2017-07-21 12:10 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <okrta8$gh$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Rhino <no_offlin...@example.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-07-20 7:51 PM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>>> Twitter is none too pleased about HBO's next show from Game of Thrones
>>> creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.
>>>
>>> Confederate will imagine slavery as a modern day institution in
>>> America, exploring an "alternative timeline" if South successfully
>>> seceded from the U.S. following the Civil War.
>>>
>>> The story, said HBO, will follow "a broad swath of characters on both
>>> sides of the Mason-Dixon Demilitarized Zone — freedom fighters, slave
>>> hunters, politicians, abolitionists, journalists, the executives of a
>>> slave-holding conglomerate and the families of people in their thrall.â€
>>>
>>> The premise is adjacent to Amazon's Man in a High Castle, which
>>> reimagines the world if Hitler had won World War II.
>>>
>>> But it's one Daily Beast writer Ira Madison III called dangerous in a
>>> heated era of increased hate crimes. "This is white nonsense...we
>>> finally had an Oscars ceremony where a black film won Best Picture
>>> (Moonlight) without having slaves or servants in it," he wrote. "But I
>>> guess HBO’s eyes are still fixated on 12 Years a Slave."
Apparently the *other* two creatives are a black couple who are
articulate and independent. That sounds pretty balanced to me.

I'm all for letting this project proceed. I'm curious to see what will
come of it.

If the execution is awful, I'm sure all the usual circles will be heard
from. And if it's not awful, it may even bridge the chasm a bit, like
ROOTS did back in the day.

--
Rhino

Rhino

Jul 21, 2017, 3:58:10 PM7/21/17
There's a shocker! I suppose you would have said the same about Roots if
they'd ask you back when that was first proposed, at a time when riots
in inner cities were still fresh in everyone's memory. "It's too soon,
it's too soon!".

If we can't talk about these things or even depict them in TV shows
after 152 YEARS, what the HELL is wrong with us?

--
Rhino

Dimensional Traveler

Jul 21, 2017, 4:48:24 PM7/21/17
Quite a bit, apparently.

instinct are running screaming.

FPP

Jul 21, 2017, 7:09:47 PM7/21/17
When I was 11, we went on a trip down South to tour the Civil War sites.

The first thing I was told (by one of the natives) was: Don't call it
"The Civil War".
Calling it "The War Between the States" was more acceptable - although
they preferred "The War of Northern Aggression".

Oh... and if you buy any souvenirs, (like a Yankee hat), whatever you
do, don't wear them until you get back home.

She was serious...

And I thought ROOTS was brilliant. I especially liked how they used
some of the more iconic TV father figures as the slave owners. It was a
little jarring seeing those actors taking roles that were so far from
their usual TV persona.

I'm not sure everybody noticed that... Robert Reed, Chuck Connors,
Ralph Waite, Ed Asner, Lloyd Bridges, Gary Collins, Doug McClure, Lorne
Greene.

OJ Simpson was the exception :-)